Episode 14 Playing Games ACT III 做游戏 第三幕

[ A little later in the afternoon. Susan and Harry are clearing the table. They are alone again. ]

Harry: There's a conversation we have to finish.

我们还有段话没聊完呢。

Susan: What was it about?

聊什么来着?

Harry: It was about caring.

关于“关心”。

Susan: Oh?

噢?

Harry: Yes, caring. I said that it makes me feel good that you care about Michelle.

对,关心。我说过,你关心米歇尔,这让我感觉很好。

Susan: Well, I do care about Michelle.

我确实很关心米歇尔。

Harry: And it makes me feel good that you care about me.

而且你关心我,也让我感觉很好。

Susan: You know I do. You're a ... wonderful friend.

你知道我的心意。你一直是个… 无可挑剔的知己

Harry: And it makes me feel good that you care about us.

而且你在乎我们,这也让我很开心。

Susan: Well ... well, I do, Harry. It's only natural that if I care about Michelle and I care about you, then I care about us.

嗯… 是的,哈里。我既然关心米歇尔,也关心你,那我当然也在乎我们。

Harry: It's OK, Susan. We had this part of the conversation before Michelle and her friends arrived. Now comes the good part.

很好,苏珊。米歇尔和她朋友们来之前,我们已经聊到这里了。接下来,该进入正题了

Susan: Like what?

比如什么?

Harry: Well, assume that if you care about Michelle and you care about me and you care about us, that we can talk about us. I mean--you and me. Isn't that right?

嗯,如果你关心米歇尔,关心我,也在乎我们,那我们是不是可以谈谈“我们”了?我的意思是 ——你和我。对吧?

Susan: What are you trying to say, Harry?

你到底想说什么,哈里?

Harry: What I'm trying to say ... since this is so easy .... [ He goes to the game stand and puts up some letters. ] Here are ten letters that express my feelings for you.

我想说的是… 既然这个游戏这么简单… 这里有十个字母,可以表达我对你的感情。

Susan: Don't be silly, Harry.

别闹了,哈里。

Harry: You want a hint? It's two words.

要提示吗?是两个词。

Susan: You're making the game harder.

你把游戏变难了。

Harry: Can't you figure it out? Seven letters ... two words ... that express the feelings that I feel for you in my heart.

真猜不出来吗?七个字母,两个单词… 这里面藏着的,全是我对你的真心。

Susan: Harry, I get it! [ She rearranges the letters to spell "marry me." ]

哈里,我拼出来了!

Harry: Well? Does that mean you'll marry me?

怎么样?这是不是表示你愿意嫁给我?

Susan: Is that a proposal, or are we just playing a game?

贝内特先生,你这是正式求婚呢,还是在拿我寻开心?

Harry: Sit down, Susan. There's something I have to ask you. [ He takes a flower from the table and gets down on one knee. ] Susan, will you marry me?

坐下吧,苏珊。我有件事要问你。苏珊,你愿意嫁给我吗?

Susan: It's such an important decision. There's so many things to talk about. There are three things that have to be done first, Harry.

这可是终身大事。我们有好多细节得先聊清楚。哈里,想娶我,你得先答应我三件事。

Harry: Three things?

三件事?

Susan: First, we have to decide where to live.

第一,我们得先决定住在哪里。

Harry: Well, that's easy. We talked about that earlier. We'll live in New York.

这个简单。我们之前已经谈过了。我们就住纽约。

Susan: All right. Second, we have to talk to Michelle together about being married.

好。第二,我们得一起和米歇尔谈谈结婚这件事。

Harry: We'll do that immediately. What's the third thing?

我们马上就去谈。第三件事呢?

Susan: You have to ask for my father's permission.

你得先征求我爸爸的同意。

Harry: Absolutely! But first things first. We have to go pick up Michelle.

当然!但在此之前,先完成眼前的‘第一要务’,我们得先去接米歇尔。

Susan: Oh, I'm so happy, Harry!

噢,哈里,我太高兴了!

Harry: Not as happy as I am. [ He gives her the flower, and they embrace. ]

你肯定没我高兴。

本课重点词汇

8 个相关单词

assume *

/ əˈsjuːm / v. 假设

express *

/ ɪkˈspres / v. 表达,表露

silly

/ ˈsɪli / adj. 嬉笑滑稽的

hint

/ hɪnt / n. 暗示,提示

figure out

/ ˈfɪɡə(r) aʊt / v. 搞清楚

rearrange

/ ˌriːəˈreɪndʒ / v. 重新排列

proposal *

/ prəˈpəʊz(ə)l / n. 求婚

earlier

/ ˈɜ:lɪə(r) / adj. 之前;更早的时候

用“游戏”暗示

更新于:2026-05-21 10:17:25
3

It's only natural that if I care about Michelle and I care about you, then I care about us.如果我关心米歇尔,又关心你,那顺理成章地,我自然也就会关心我们这段关系了。

It's only natural that... ……是再自然不过的事了 / ……完全是顺理成章的

  • It's only natural that you feel a bit nervous before upgrading the main server infrastructure. 在升级主服务器基础设施之前感到有点紧张,这是再自然不过的事了。
  • It's only natural that a father wants to find the absolute best educational resources for his child. 做父亲的想为孩子寻找绝佳的教育资源,这完全是顺理成章的。
  • After working together for so long, it's only natural that they got to know each other's habits well. 在一起工作了这么长时间,他们对彼此的习惯了如指掌也是顺理成章的。
It stands to reason that... ……是合乎情理的 / 按常理推断…… It stands to reason that a well-optimized website will attract more organic user interactions. 按常理推断,一个优化良好的网站自然会吸引更多的自然用户交互。
It goes without saying that... ……是不言而喻的 / 毋庸置疑 It goes without saying that regular vocabulary accumulation helps in mastering a language. 毋庸置疑,定期的词汇积累有助于掌握一门语言。

We had this part of the conversation before Michelle and her friends arrived.在米歇尔和她朋友们到这儿之前,咱们已经聊过这一段了。

this part of... ……的这一部分 / 这一阶段

  • We have already completed this part of the project before the final validation deadline. 在最终验证截止日期之前,我们已经完成了项目的这一部分工作。
  • I find this part of the text notes extremely helpful for understanding high-frequency oral expressions. 我发现文本笔记的这一部分对于理解高频口语表达极其有帮助。
  • Harry wanted to skip the pleasantries and get right back to this part of the conversation. 哈里想跳过客套话,直接回到这段谈话的核心部分。
This stage of... ……的这一阶段 We need to be exceptionally careful during this stage of the product testing. 在产品测试的这一阶段,我们需要人格外小心。
This section of... ……的这一章节 / 这一板块 This section of the website layout is dedicated entirely to sharing study resources. 网站布局的这一板块完全用来分享学习资源。

Now comes the good part.现在好戏才刚要上演呢(精彩的部分来了)。

Here comes / Now comes... ……来了(全倒装句型,将状语提前,动词置于主语前,口语中用于吸引对方注意力)

  • If you think the museum tour was amazing, wait until tomorrow—now comes the exciting part. 如果你觉得博物馆之旅很赞,那等到了明天——好戏才算真正上演呢。
  • Listen carefully to the lecture, because now comes the core grammar explanation. 仔细听讲,因为现在精彩的的核心语法讲解要来了。
  • Here comes the shuttle bus right to the Brooklyn Aquarium entrance. 直达布鲁克林水族馆入口的班车这不就来了嘛。
The best is yet to come 最好的还在后头呢 Don't leave the board game tournament early; the best is yet to come. 可别提前退出棋盘游戏锦标赛,精彩的还在后头呢。
Save the best for last 把最好的留到最后 He always likes to save the best for last when demonstrating new toy features. 在演示新玩具功能时,他总是喜欢把厉害的部分留到最后。

Well, assume that if you care about Michelle and you care about me and you care about us, that we can talk about us.好吧,那咱们就假设,既然你关心米歇尔、关心我、又关心我们,那我们就能坐下来好好谈谈咱们之间的事儿了。

assume that... 假设…… / 假定……(用于推论或设定某种讨论前提)

  • Let's assume that the host server configuration has already been successfully migrated to the new infrastructure. 咱们先假设主机服务器的配置已经成功迁移到了新的基础设施上。
  • You shouldn't just assume that every ten-year-old child will find this word game too easy. 你不能平白无故就断定每个十岁的孩子都会觉得这个文字游戏太容易。
  • We can assume that the marketing campaign will bring a significant spike in daily website interactions. 我们可以假定,这次营销活动会给网站的每日交互数据带来明显的激增。
Supposing... 假使…… / 如果……(引导设想情况) Supposing they decide to move from the suburbs back to the city, what about Michelle's school? 假使他们决定从郊区搬回市区,那米歇尔上学的问题该怎么办?
Take it for granted that... 想当然地认为…… / 视为理所当然 Don't take it for granted that the domain tracking script will work perfectly without adjustments. 别想当然地以为域名追踪脚本不作调整就能百分之百完美运行。

What I'm trying to say...我想说的是…… / 我其实是想表达……

What I'm trying to say is... 我真正想说的是…… / 我的意思是……(口语中用于澄清误解、重新组织语言或引出关键表白)

  • What I'm trying to say is that maintaining an 842-day language study streak takes real dedication. 我想说的是,能保持连续842天的语言学习打卡,这确实需要极大的毅力。
  • What I'm trying to say is, maybe we should test this interactive game on older kids first. 我其实是想说,也许我们应该先在大一点的孩子身上测试这款互动游戏。
  • Harry stammered, but what he was trying to say was that he had fallen deeply in love with her. 哈里吞吞吐吐的,但他真正想表达的意思是他已经深深地爱上了她。
What I mean is... 我的意思是……(极高频) What I mean is, living in downtown New York is incredibly convenient for a working woman. 我的意思是,住在纽约市中心对于一个职业女性来说简直是太方便了。
In essence... 本质上来说…… / 归根结底…… In essence, the new marketing strategy is all about building strong community bonds. 本质上来说,新的营销策略完全是为了建立起牢固 Community 的情感纽带。

Here are ten letters that express my feelings for you.这里有十个字母,代表了我对你的心意。

express one's feelings for someone 表达某人对另一人的情感 / 吐露心声

  • He bought a beautiful bouquet of flowers to express his feelings for her on her birthday. 他买了一束美丽的鲜花,准备在她的生日宴会上借此表达对她的心意。
  • It’s often difficult for introverted individuals to express their feelings for someone they admire. 内向的人往往很难向他们爱慕的对象吐露自己的真实心声。
  • She wrote a long personal letter to express her true feelings for her childhood best friend. 她写了一封长长的私人信件,向她童年时最好的玩伴表达了自己的真实情感。
Pour one's heart out 倾诉衷肠 / 把心底话全盘托出 After the children left for the museum, Harry decided to pour his heart out to Susan. 孩子们动身去博物馆后,哈里决定向苏珊彻底倾诉衷肠。
Show one's affection 流露爱意 / 表达好感 He tried to show his affection by preparing a delicious home-cooked tuna fish sandwich lunch. 他试着通过亲自下厨准备一顿美味的金枪鱼三明治午餐来流露自己的爱意。

You're making the game harder.你把这游戏的难度给拉高了(你让这游戏变得更难了)。

make something + 形容词比较级 让某事变得更……(形容词充当宾语补足语)

  • Adding redundant validation code will only make the platform architecture more complicated. 添加冗余的验证代码只会让平台架构变得更加繁琐复杂。
  • By failing to clear the routing cache logs, you are make the server debugging process harder. 因为没有及时清理路由缓存日志,你让服务器的排查调试变得更困难了。
  • Don't argue during the meeting; it will only make the decision-making process longer. 开会时先别争吵了,这只会让做决定的过程拖得更长。
Complicate matters 使事情复杂化 / 添乱 Please don't complicate matters by bringing up unrelated budget reports right now. 现在请千万别提那些不相干的预算报告来给事情添乱了。
Add fuel to the fire 火上浇油 / 加剧难度或严重性 Complaining about the suburban traffic status will only add fuel to the fire. 现在去抱怨郊区的交通状况只会是火上浇油,无济于事。

求婚

更新于:2026-05-21 10:18:23
3

Can't you figure it out?你难道就猜不出来(想不通)吗?

figure something out 想出…… / 弄明白…… / 琢磨出……

  • I spent the entire evening trying to figure out why the server infrastructure kept throwing errors. 我花了一整晚的时间,试图琢磨出为什么服务器基础设施一直报错。
  • Don't worry about the domain hosting rules; we will figure it out together. 别担心域名托管规则的事,我们一起把它弄明白。
  • She couldn't figure out how to complete the multi-file reasoning task on the new platform. 她怎么也想不出该如何在个新平台上完成多文件推理任务。
Work out 解决 / 算出 / 琢磨出 We need to work out a better marketing plan for our new educational web property. 我们需要为我们的新教育网站资产琢磨出一个更好的营销方案。
Solve 解决 / 解开(侧重于找到问题的标准答案) The engineering team quickly solved the routing cache issue before lunch. 工程团队在午饭前迅速解决了路由缓存问题。

I get it!我懂了!/ 我明白了!

I get it 我明白了 / 我领会了(口语中表示瞬间突然听懂、看懂或领会了对方的意图)

  • Oh, I get it now! The word game was originally designed for ten-to twelve-year-olds. 噢,我现在明白了!这款文字游戏最初是为十到十二岁的孩子设计的。
  • I get it; you want to move from the suburbs back to the city for Michelle's education. 我懂了,你想为了米歇尔的教育,把家从郊区搬回城里。
  • When he gave me that subtle hint, I finally got it. 当他给我那个微妙的暗示时,我终于心领神会了。
I see 我明白了 / 原来是这样 I see; you've already verified the legal identity documentation with AdSense. 我明白了,你已经向谷歌广告联盟核实了法定身份证明文件。
Catch on 理解 / 明白过来 / 领会 He is very sharp and catches on quickly when we explain new automation workflows. 他非常敏锐,在我们讲解新的自动化工作流时,他总能很快领会。

Is that a proposal, are we just playing a game?这算是求婚呢,还是咱们纯粹是在玩游戏啊?

Is that a proposal? 这是求婚吗?(proposal 动词形式为 propose,专门指求婚或正式提案)

  • When he got down on one knee, she looked at him in surprise and asked, "Is that a proposal?" 当他单膝跪地时,她惊讶地看着他问道:“这是在求婚吗?”
  • The board members reviewed the text documentation to see if that was a formal proposal. 董事会成员审查了文本文件,以确认那是否是一份正式的提案。
  • He didn't mean to play games; that was a sincere proposal from the bottom of his heart. 他不是在开玩笑,那是他发自肺腑的真诚求婚。
Pop the question 求婚 / 提出结婚请求(口语极地道固定习语) He took her to a beautiful scenic area in Gannan and decided to pop the question. 他带她去了甘南一个美丽的风景区,并决定向她求婚。
Ask for one's hand in marriage 向某人求婚 / 执子之手(非常正式、古典的表达) Harry intends to visit Susan's father to ask for her hand in marriage. 哈里打算去拜访苏珊的父亲,正式请求把女儿嫁给他。

There's something I have to ask you.我有一件事必须得问问你。

have to ask someone something 必须问某人某事

  • Before we implement the new tracking script, I have to ask you something about data security. 在我们实施新的追踪脚本之前,我必须向你请教一些关于数据安全的问题。
  • He walked up to the supervisor because he had to ask her something regarding the language textbook. 他走向主管,因为他必须问她一些关于语言教材的事情。
  • Excuse me, I have to ask you a quick question about the server host billing records. 打扰一下,我必须快速问你一个关于服务器主机账单记录的问题。
Inquire about... 询问…… / 告之……(正式) The foreign exchange client called the bank to inquire about the Blue Member status benefits. 外汇客户致电银行,以询问蓝卡会员身份的权益。
Pick someone's brain 请教某人 / 听取某人的高见(口语常用,指向有经验的人请教) I need to pick your brain on how to manage multiple educational domains through Cloudflare. 我需要向你请教一下,如何通过 Cloudflare 来管理多个教育域名。

It's such an important decision.这可真是一个至关重要的决定。

such an important decision 如此重要的决定(such + a/an + 形容词 + 单数可数名词)

  • Choosing to migrate the entire infrastructure database is such an important decision. 选择迁移整个基础设施数据库真的是一个极其重大的决定。
  • Moving away from the suburbs to a busy city center is such an important decision for a family. 对一个家庭来说,离开郊区搬到繁华的市中心是如此重大的一个决定。
  • Enrolling in the YouTube Partner Program was such an important decision for his digital career. 加入 YouTube 合作伙伴计划是他数字职业生涯中一个如此重要的决定。
A major milestone 重大里程碑 Reaching an 842-day language learning habit streak is a major milestone. 达到连续842天的语言学习习惯打卡,是一个重大的里程碑。
A critical choice 关键抉择 Selecting the primary cloud provider is a critical choice for the future of our web properties. 选择主云供应商,对于我们网站资产的未来是一个关键的抉择。

There are three things that have to be done first, Harry.哈里,有三件事必须得先办了。

have to be done first 必须先被完成 / 必须首当其冲处理好(使用被动语态,强调事情的先后顺序与必要性)

  • The routing server configurations have to be done first before the web domain goes live. 在网站域名上线之前,必须先完成路由服务器的配置。
  • Identity authentication and file verification have to be done first to ensure system security. 必须先进行身份认证和文件核对,以确保系统安全。
  • Susan insists that these household agreements have to be done first before they plan the wedding. 苏珊坚持认为,在他们筹备婚礼之前,必须先达成这些家庭协议。
Take precedence 享有优先权 / 优先处理 Double-checking the backup files should take precedence over adjusting the user interface layout. 核对备份文件应该比调整用户界面布局享有更高的优先权。
Be a top priority 是当务之急 / 重中之重 Fixing the server traffic crash must be a top priority for the engineering team right now. 对于目前的工程团队来说,修复服务器流量崩溃必须是当务之急。

But first things first.不过,咱们得按先后顺序来(要事第一)。

first things first 要事第一 / 凡事分清主次 / 先把最重要的事情办了(口语中非常经典的习惯表达,句中省略了动词)

  • First things first, let's make sure the host backup scripts are fully functional. 当务之急,我们先确保主机的备份脚本功能完全正常。
  • I know you want to play the board game, but first things first—finish your English assignment notes. 我知道你想玩棋盘游戏,但凡事分清主次——先去把你的英语作业笔记写完。
  • First things first: we need to go pick up Michelle from the Museum of Natural History. 先把最重要的事情办了:我们需要去自然历史博物馆接米歇尔。
To begin with 首先 / 第一点(用于有条理地陈述理由或步骤) To begin with, the location of the Brooklyn Aquarium is incredibly convenient for the children. 首先,布鲁克林水族馆的位置对孩子们来说实在是太方便了。
The first order of business 首要任务 / 第一件要做的事 The first order of business is to secure approval from the advertising network profiles. 我们的首要任务是获得广告网络配置文件的批准。

We have to go pick up Michelle.我们得动身去接米歇尔了。

go pick someone up 去接某人(go 后面常直接接动词原形表示去执行某个动作,口语中极其高频;pick up 指用汽车接送某人或顺道接人)

  • I need to go pick up the printed lesson documents from the administrative center. 我需要去行政中心取一下打印好的课文文件。
  • Could you please go pick her up from the subway station after she finishes work? 她下班后,你能去地铁站接她一下吗?
  • He promised to go pick up his friends at the entrance of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. 他承诺去大都会艺术博物馆门口接他的朋友们。
Collect someone 去接某人(英式英语中较常用) The teacher will wait at the main entrance until parents come to collect the students. 老师会在大门口等待,直到家长们来接走学生。
Give someone a lift/ride 顺道载某人一程 Since you are going uptown, could you give me a lift to the Museum of Natural History? 既然你要去市中心北边,能顺道载我一程去自然历史博物馆吗?

Not as happy as I am.我比你还要高兴呢(我可没你那么高兴,因为我比你更幸福)。

not as... as... 不如……那样…… / 不像……这么……(用于同级比较的否定结构,这里 Harry 幽默地反用,以此表达自己比 Susan 更加幸福快乐)

  • The secondary web domain is not as active as our primary resource platform ha85.com. 二级网域不如我们的主资源平台 ha85.com 那样活跃。
  • This simple word game is not as difficult as the advanced multi-agent debugging task. 这个简单的文字游戏可不像高级多智能体调试任务那么困难。
  • I am not as familiar with the suburban neighborhoods as Susan is. 我对郊区社区的熟悉程度完全不如苏珊。
More ... than ... 比……更…… Harry is actually more excited than Susan about moving the family into New York City. 对于把家搬进纽约市区,哈里其实比苏珊还要更加兴奋。
Pale in comparison to... 与……相比相形见绌 / 远远不如 The traffic in the suburbs pales in comparison to the heavy congestion in downtown New York. 郊区的交通与纽约市中心的严重拥堵相比,简直是小巫见大巫。