Episode 26 Opening Nigh ACT I 展览开幕之夜 第一幕

In Act One, Richard's publisher is preparing an exhibit, a show with Richard's photographs. Richard is very nervous. Later, a newspaper critic arrives to review Richard's work. Will he like Richard's work?

[ At the photo gallery. Richard and Harvey Carlson are arranging the photo exhibition ahead of the grand opening, with Tom helping to position the prints. ]

Carlson: A little further to the right, Tom.

汤姆,再往右边移一点儿。

Tom: Is this OK?

这样可以吗?

Carlson: Good. What do you think, Richard?

不错!理查德,你觉得怎么样?

Richard: I like it there.

我觉得摆那儿挺好的。

Carlson: It's the first thing people will see when they come in. It sets the tone for the whole show. The next thing they'll see is this enlargement with the words Family Album, U.S.A.

这是大家一进门最先看到的作品,它奠定了整个展出的基调。接下来他们会看到这张印有《走遍美国》字样的放大照片。

Richard: I can't believe this is really happening!

我到现在都不敢相信这一切居然成真了!

Carlson: You've earned it. Years of work went into these pictures.

这是你应得的,这些照片凝聚了你多年的心血呢。

Richard: I know, but it's still a dream come true.

我知道,但对我来说依然像是美梦成真一样。

Carlson: Well, remember, we're not sure what the critics are going to write about your show yet. And you never know what the man from the New York Times is going to say about it.

嗯,不过别忘了,咱们现在还不确定评论家们会怎么评价你的影展。你永远猜不到《纽约时报》那位评论员会写些什么。

Richard: Are you worried?

你在担心吗?

Carlson: I always worry. The reviews of this show are important for the sales of your book.

我向来都放不下心。这次影展的影评对你摄影集发售的销量可是至关重要的。

Richard: When do we see the reviews?

咱们什么时候能看到影评?

Carlson: Soon. One of the critics is coming over this morning for a preview. I hope he's in a good mood.

快了。今天上午就有一位评论家要过来预展,但愿他今天心情不错。

Richard: So do I. Marilyn and I hope to use money from the sales of this book to buy a new house.

我也希望如此。玛丽莲和我还指望着靠这本摄影集的稿费买套新房子呢。

Carlson: The book will be a success. And the show will help promote it.

这本摄影集一定会大卖的,这次展出也会起到很好的宣传效果。

Richard: Speaking of promoting the book, do I really have to autograph copies for the guests at the opening?

说到推广宣传,我今晚在开幕式上真的必须给嘉宾们签名售书吗?

Carlson: It's common practice.

这都是行业惯例了。

Richard: I feel uncomfortable about it.

我总感觉心里有点怪别扭的。

Carlson: A lot of people come to openings just so they can get the autograph of somebody who may be famous someday.

好多人来参加开幕式,就是为了拿到未来可能会大红大紫的人的亲笔签名。

Richard: Couldn't we wait until I'm famous?

咱们就不能等我真的出名了再签吗?

Carlson: A little further back, Tom. It's too close to the refreshments.

汤姆,再往后放一点儿,离茶歇台太近了。

Richard: No, I think this one belongs in the "people-at-work" section.

不,我觉得这张应该归到“工作中的人们”那个展区。

Carlson: You may be right. Try it there, Tom.

你说的有道理。汤姆,挂那边试试。

Tom: Right.

好的。

Carlson: Nervous about the opening tonight?

今晚开幕式紧张吗?

Richard: Nervous? Me? No. I'm scared to death.

紧张?我?岂止紧张,我快吓要半死了!

Carlson: How about guests? How many people will you be bringing?

对了,宾客方面呢?你准备带多少亲友过来?

Richard: Well, my family, I guess. My wife Marilyn, my father and mother, my brother Robbie, my sister and her husband and their daughter. And my grandfather. Is that too many?

额,应该就我的家人吧。我妻子玛丽莲,我爸妈,我弟弟罗比,我姐姐和姐夫还有他们的女儿,还有我爷爷。人会太多了吗?

Carlson: No such thing as "too many" at an opening.

开幕式上哪有什么“人太多”的说方,越多越好!

Richard: I hope they like it.

希望他们会喜欢。

Carlson: Your family or the public?

你是说你的家人,还是大众?

Richard: Everybody. But especially my family. They've stood by me through all this.

所有人。但特别是我的家人,一路走来他们一直在背后默默支持着我。

Carlson: I'm sure they'll like it.

我保证他们一定会喜欢的。

[ Mitchell Johnson, a well-known art critic, walks into the gallery. ]

Mitchell: Harvey, how are you?

哈维,近来可好啊?

Carlson: Mitchell, so nice of you to come. Richard, this is Mitchell Johnson. Mitchell is one of the most important syndicated reviewers in the country.

米切尔!你能来真是太好了。理查德,这位是米切尔·约翰逊。米切尔可是全国最有分量的联合撰稿评论家之一。

Mitchell: Well, you're the young man who did all this.

哦,你就是创作出这一切的那个年轻小伙子吧?

Richard: I'm afraid so.

正是鄙人。

Mitchell: Nice to meet you.

很高兴认识你。

Richard: Nice to meet you, Mr. Johnson.

幸会,约翰逊先生。

Carlson: Mitchell has always encouraged new talent.

米切尔一直都非常提携新人。

Mitchell: Well... you mind if I look around and see what it says to me?

嗯……介意我自己到处转转,感受一下这些作品吗?

Carlson: Be our guest.

您请便,别客气!

Mitchell: Mm-hmm, hmm, uh-huh.

嗯……唔……哦……

[ Mitchell whispers to himself as he inspects the photos. Richard turns nervously to Carlson. ]

Richard: What does that mean when he goes, "Mm-hmm, mm-hmm, mm-hmm"?

他发出“嗯……嗯……嗯……”的声音到底是什么意思啊?

Carlson: It probably means he's clearing his throat. I don't know.

可能只是在清嗓子吧,我哪晓得。

Tom: I don't care what the critics say, Mr. Stewart. Your work is brilliant.

斯图尔特先生,不管那些影评人怎么说,我觉得您的作品简直棒极了!

Richard: Thank you, Tom.

谢谢你,汤姆。

Carlson: Tom is studying photography at NYU. He's working with me during the summer months as an intern.

汤姆在纽约大学修读摄影专业,暑假这几个月在我这儿做实习生。

Richard: Oh, really? I'd like to see your work.

噢,真的吗?有空我也想欣赏欣赏你的摄影作品。

Tom: It's not good enough to show. I'm still learning.

我的水平还拿不出手呢,目前还在学习阶段。

Richard: Oh, I'd still like to see your work. You may be the next Ansel Adams and not even know it.

嗨,我还是很想看看。没准你自己都没意识到,你就是下一个安塞尔·亚当斯呢!

Tom: If you really mean it, I'll bring some of my pictures into the gallery.

如果您是认真的,那明儿我就带几张作品到画廊来给您看。

Richard: I do mean it.

我当然是认真的。

[ Mitchell returns after browsing the gallery. ]

Mitchell: Very interesting pictures, Mr. Stewart. You have a most unusual eye.

非常有趣的摄影作品,斯图尔特先生。你的观察视角很独特。

Richard: Thank you. I hope that's a compliment.

谢谢您!希望这算是一句赞美。

Mitchell: It is.

确实是赞美。

Carlson: Are you going to be reviewing the show, Mitchell?

米切尔,你打算撰文评价这次影展吗?

Mitchell: Oh, yes. It's definitely worth reviewing.

噢,当然,这展出绝对值得一评。

Carlson: Favorably?

是好评吗?

Mitchell: Oh, you know I never answer that question, Harvey. I'd like an advance copy of the book, though, so I can study it.

哈维,你知道我从不提前透露评价的。不过我想先要一本摄影集的样书,以便回去仔细研读。

Carlson: I have an autographed one in my office. Tom, would you give Mr. Johnson the copy of Richard's book on my desk?

我办公室里刚好有一本带签名的。汤姆,去我办公桌上把理查德的那本摄影集拿给约翰逊先生。

Tom: Just follow me, Mr. Johnson.

请跟我来,约翰逊先生。

Mitchell: Sure.

好的。

[ Mitchell and Tom walk off to the office. ]

Richard: Do you think he liked my photographs?

你觉得他到底喜不喜欢我的作品?

Carlson: We'll know when tonight's papers come out. Keep your fingers crossed.

今晚报纸一出来咱们就知道了,暗自为你祈祷吧!