Episode 26 Opening Nigh ACT I

展览开幕之夜 第一幕

Watch the video then answer the question:

Carlson: A little further to the right, Tom.

再往右一点,汤姆。

Tom: Is this OK?

这样可以吗?

Carlson: Good. What do you think, Richard?

好。理查德,你觉得呢?

Richard: I like it there.

我觉得摆在那儿很好。

Richard: It's the first thing people will see when they come in.

这是人们一进门就会看到的第一件作品。

Richard: It sets the tone for the whole show.

它为整个展览定下了基调。

Carlson: The next thing they'll see is this enlargement with the words Family Album, U.S.A.

他们接着会看到这张放大的图片,上面写着“Family Album, U.S.A.”(美国摄影集)。

Richard: I can't believe this is really happening!

我不敢相信这一切真的发生了!

Carlson: You've earned it. Years of work went into these pictures.

这是你应得的。这些照片倾注了你多年的心血。

Richard: I know, but it's still a dream come true.

我知道,但这终究是梦想成真了。

Carlson: Well, remember, we're not sure what the critics are going to write about your show yet.

嗯,记住,我们还不确定评论家们会怎么评价你的展览。

Carlson: And you never know what the man from the New York Times is going to say about it.

而且你永远不知道《纽约时报》的那位会说些什么。

Richard: Are you worried?

你担心吗?

Carlson: I always worry.

我一向很担心。

Carlson: The reviews of this show are important for the sales of your book.

这次展览的评论对你新书的销量至关重要。

Richard: When do we see the reviews?

我们什么时候能看到评论?

Carlson: Soon. One of the critics is coming over this morning for a preview.

很快。其中一位评论家今天上午要来参加预展。

Carlson: I hope he's in a good mood.

我希望他心情不错。

Richard: So do I.

我也希望如此。

Richard: Marilyn and I hope to use money from the sales of this book to buy a new house.

玛丽琳和我希望用这本书的版税买一栋新房子。

Carlson: The book will be a success. And the show will help promote it.

这本书会成功的,而这次展览有助于促销。

Carlson: Speaking of promoting the book, do I really have to autograph copies for the guests at the opening?

说到促销,我真的必须在开幕式上为客人们签名吗?(注:此处原文应为Richard问Carlson)

Carlson: It's common practice.

这是惯例。

Richard: I feel uncomfortable about it.

我觉得挺不好意思的。

Carlson: A lot of people come to openings just so they can get the autograph of somebody who may be famous someday.

很多人参加开幕式就是为了得到某位将来可能成名的人的签名。

Richard: Couldn't we wait until I'm famous?

能不能等到我出名了再说?

Carlson: That might be sooner than you think.

那可能比你想象的要快。

Tom: This one over here, Mr. Carlson?

卡尔森先生,这张放这儿吗?

Carlson: A little further back, Tom. It's too close to the refreshments.

再往后一点,汤姆。离茶点太近了。

Richard: No, I think this one belongs in the "people-at-work" section.

不,我觉得这张应该归到“工作中的人们”那一组。

Carlson: You may be right. Try it there, Tom.

你可能是对的。放那儿试试吧,汤姆。

Tom: Right.

好的。

Carlson: Nervous about the opening tonight?

对今晚的开幕式感到紧张吗?

Richard: Nervous? Me? No. I'm scared to death.

紧张?我?不,我简直快吓死了。

Carlson: How about guests? How many people will you be bringing?

来宾呢?你会带多少人来?

Richard: Well, my family, I guess.

嗯,我想是我的家人们。

Richard: My wife Marilyn, my father and mother, my brother Robbie,

我太太玛丽琳,我父母,我弟弟罗比,

Richard: my sister and her husband and their daughter. And my grandfather.

我妹妹、她丈夫还有他们的女儿。还有我祖父。

Richard: Is that too many?

是不是太多了?

Carlson: No such thing as "too many" at an opening.

开幕式上从不嫌人多。

Richard: I hope they like it.

我希望他们会喜欢。

Carlson: Your family or the public?

你的家人还是公众?

Richard: Everybody. But especially my family.

所有人。但尤其是我的家人。

Richard: They've stood by me through all this.

这一路走来,他们一直支持着我。

Carlson: I'm sure they'll like it.

我相信他们会喜欢的。

Carlson: Harvey, how are you?

哈维,你好吗?

Mitchell: Mitchell, so nice of you to come.

米切尔,你能来真是太好了。

Carlson: Richard, this is Mitchell Johnson.

理查德,这位是米切尔·约翰逊。

Carlson: Mitchell is one of the most important syndicated reviewers in the country.

米切尔是国内最重要的报团评论家之一。

Mitchell: Well, you're the young man who did all this.

噢,你就是拍出这些作品的小伙子。

Richard: I'm afraid so. Nice to meet you.

我想是的。很高兴见到您。

Mitchell: Nice to meet you, Mr. Johnson.

很高兴认识您,约翰逊先生。

Carlson: Mitchell has always encouraged new talent.

米切尔一直很鼓励新人。

Mitchell: Well ... you mind if I look around and see what it says to me?

嗯……介意我到处看看,感受一下它们在向我诉说些什么吗?

Carlson: Be our guest.

请自便。

Mitchell: Mm-hmm, hmm, uh-huh. Mm-hmm, hmm, uh-huh.

嗯,嗯……哦。

Richard: What does that mean when he goes, "Mm-hmm, mm-hmm, mm-hmm"?

他发出“嗯,嗯,嗯”的声音是什么意思?

Carlson: It probably means he's clearing his throat. I don't know.

也许他只是在清嗓子。我也不清楚。

Tom: I don't care what the critics say, Mr. Stewart.

斯图尔特先生,我不管评论家怎么说。

Tom: Your work is brilliant.

您的作品非常精彩。

Richard: Thank you, Tom.

谢谢你,汤姆。

Richard: Tom is studying photography at NYU.

汤姆在纽约大学学摄影。

Richard: He's working with me during the summer months as an intern.

暑假期间他在我这里当实习生。

Carlson: Oh, really? I'd like to see your work.

噢,真的吗?我想看看你的作品。

Tom: It's not good enough to show. I'm still learning.

我的作品还拿不出手。我还在学习。

Richard: Oh, I'd still like to see your work.

噢,我还是想看看。

Richard: You may be the next Ansel Adams and not even know it.

你可能就是下一个安塞尔·亚当斯,只是你自己还不知道。

Tom: If you really mean it, I'll bring some of my pictures into the gallery.

如果您是认真的,那我就带一些照片来画廊。

Richard: I do mean it.

我是认真的。

Mitchell: Very interesting pictures, Mr. Stewart. You have a most unusual eye.

非常有意思的照片,斯图尔特先生。你有着非常独特的视角。

Richard: Thank you. I hope that's a compliment.

谢谢。我希望这是在夸我。

Mitchell: It is.

的确如此。

Carlson: Are you going to be reviewing the show, Mitchell?

米切尔,你会评论这次展览吗?

Mitchell: Oh, yes. It's definitely worth reviewing.

噢,是的。绝对值得一评。

Carlson: Favorably?

会给好评吗?

Mitchell: Oh, you know I never answer that question, Harvey.

噢,你知道我从不回答这种问题,哈维。

Mitchell: I'd like an advance copy of the book, though, so I can study it.

不过我想要一本新书的试读本,这样我可以研究一下。

Carlson: I have an autographed one in my office.

我办公室里有一本签过名的。

Carlson: Tom, would you give Mr. Johnson the copy of Richard's book on my desk?

汤姆,能把桌上那本理查德的书拿给约翰逊先生吗?

Tom: Just follow me, Mr. Johnson.

请跟我来,约翰逊先生。

Mitchell: Sure.

好的。

Richard: Do you think he liked my photographs?

你觉得他喜欢我的摄影作品吗?

Carlson: We'll know when tonight's papers come out.

等今晚的报纸出来我们就知道了。

Carlson: Keep your fingers crossed.

祈祷好运吧。

单词列表

0