Episode 12 You're Tops ACT I顶尖高手 第一幕

[ Grandpa, Malcolm Stewart, is in the living room of the Stewarts' home. He is waiting for his granddaughter Susan to come for dinner. ]

Grandpa: Is that you, Susan?

是你吗,苏珊?

Susan: It's me, Grandpa.

是我,爷爷。

Grandpa: Am I glad to see you!

见到你我真是太高兴了!

Susan: And am I glad to see you! I am also glad to be here.

我见到你也特别高兴!我也很开心能来这儿。

Grandpa: How are things?

最近怎么样?

Susan: I have been talking to a group of salesmen since ten this morning, and I'm real exhausted.

从今天上午十点开始,我就一直在和一群销售代表谈事情,真是累坏了。

Grandpa: Well, you look good. What's Harry doing tonight?

不过你看起来气色不错。哈里今晚在做什么?

Susan: He and Michelle are visiting relatives in New Jersey today.

他和米歇尔今天去新泽西看亲戚了。

Grandpa: The rest of our family went to the movies. So it's just you and me, Susan.

家里其他人都去看电影了。所以今晚就只有你和我了,苏珊。

Susan: It's nice to be alone with you, Grandpa. We don't get to see enough of each other.

能单独陪你真好,爷爷。我们平时见面的时间太少了。

Grandpa: Oh, I feel the same way, Susan. I miss seeing you. But to tell the truth, next time I'd like to go into the city and meet you there, instead of you coming here.

噢,我也这么觉得,苏珊。我很想你。不过说实话,下回我想进城(曼哈顿)去见你,省得你总往郊区跑。

Susan: You don't need to do that, Grandpa.

你不用特地这样做,爷爷。

Grandpa: Yeah, I do. I need to get out more. Well, I mean there's a lot to do around the house, and I love being here with the family, you know, but I'm restless. Since I retired, I've got extra time on my hands.

不,我真该多出去走走。我的意思是,家里当然也有很多事要忙,我也很喜欢和家人在一起,可我就是闲不住。自从退休以后,我现在手头的空余时间多得发愁。

Susan: I understand, Grandpa.

我明白,爷爷。

Grandpa: I think you do. Frankly, I'd like to use my brain a little more.

我觉得你确实懂我的意思。坦白说,我想让脑子转起来。

Susan: Grandpa, you have so much energy and so many years of experience. There are probably a lot of places for you to work. Particularly in the construction field.

爷爷,你精力这么旺盛,又有这么多年的经验,肯定有很多地方需要你。尤其是在建筑行业。

Grandpa: But at my age, I'm not looking for a full-time job. I'm retired. But I'm bored.

可到了我这个年纪,我也不想找全职工作了。我已经退休了,但就是觉得无聊。

Susan: Well, there must be something. Maybe I can help.

总会有办法的。也许我能帮上忙。

Grandpa: Let's go into the kitchen, and maybe you can help me set the table.

我们去厨房吧,你顺便帮我摆一下餐桌。

Susan: Sounds good to me. What are we having?

好啊。今晚吃什么?

Grandpa: I prepared lamb chops, mashed potatoes, and a tossed green salad to begin with.

我准备了羊排、土豆泥,还有一份蔬菜沙拉做前菜。

Susan: Grandpa, you are a terrific guy!

爷爷,你真是个了不起的人!(不仅仅是厉害,还带着一种敬佩)

[ They hug. ]


[ A little later. Grandpa and Susan are eating dinner in the kitchen. ]

Susan: You're still thinking about something to do, aren't you? A job of some kind.

你还是一直在想找点事情做,对吧?找份什么工作之类的。

Grandpa: That's right. I've been thinking about it for weeks now. There must be some way to put my mind to good use.

没错。我已经想了好几个星期了。总得有个办法能让我让这一把老骨头的经验派上用场。

Susan: We'll find a solution. A positive solution to your finding a way to use that wonderful mind of yours.

我们一定能找到办法的。找到一个真正适合你的办法,让你发挥你那聪明的头脑。
12个相关单词

与课文关联的单词

salesman

/ˈseɪlzmən/n. 推销员

restless

/ˈrestləs/adj. 不耐烦的

brain *

/breɪn/n. 大脑

energy *

/ˈenədʒi/n. 能量

particularly *

/pəˈtɪkjələli/adv. 尤其;特别是

construction

/kənˈstrʌkʃn/n. 建筑

field *

/fiːld/n. 专业,领域

bored

/bɔːd/adj. 聊的

chop

/tʃɒp/n. 排骨肉

mashed

/mæʃt/adj. 捣碎的

toss

/tɒs/v. 拌匀

solution *

/səˈluːʃ(ə)n/n. 解决办法
笔记更新中
当您看到了此提示,说明本课笔记还在正在努力更新中...
祖孙对话 更新于:2026-05-15 14:25:48

Am I glad to see you! 见到你我真是太高兴了!

Am I glad/happy... (倒装句)我真的很...(用于加强语气,表达强烈的感情)

  • Am I hungry! I haven't eaten all day. 我真是饿坏了!我一整天没吃东西了。
  • Was I surprised when they told me the news! 他们告诉我那消息时,我真是吃了一惊!
  • Is it cold outside! You'd better wear a coat. 外面真冷啊!你最好穿件大衣。
I am so glad... (陈述句)我很高兴...I am so glad you could make it to the party. 我很高兴你能来参加聚会。
How glad I am... (感叹句)我是多么高兴啊...How glad I am to be home after the long trip! 长途旅行后回到家,我是多么高兴啊!

How are things? 近况如何?

How are things? 近况怎么样? / 事情进展如何?(非正式问候语)

  • Hi John, how are things at the office? 嘿,约翰,办公室那边情况怎么样?
  • How are things with your new project? 你的新项目进展得如何?
  • "How are things?" "Not bad, thanks for asking." “最近怎么样?”“还行,谢谢关心。”
How's it going? (地道)最近怎么样?How's it going with your English studies? 你英语学得怎么样了?
How have you been? 你最近过得好吗?(询问一段时间以来的状况)I haven't seen you in ages. How have you been? 好久没见你了。你最近过得好吗?

We don't get to see enough of each other. 我们见面的机会不够多。

get to (do something) 得到机会做某事 / 能够做某事

  • I get to travel a lot in my current job. 我现在的工作有很多出差的机会。
  • We finally get to meet the famous author today. 我们今天终于有机会见到那位著名的作者了。
  • Did you get to see the fireworks last night? 你昨晚看成烟花了吗?(有没有机会看到)
Have the opportunity to (更正式)有机会...Everyone should have the opportunity to learn a second language. 每个人都应该有机会学习第二语言。
Catch up with 叙旧 / 碰头We need to catch up with each other soon. 咱们得找个时间聚聚叙叙旧了。

I'm restless. 我闲不住(坐立不安)。

restless 焦躁不安的 / 坐立难安的 / 闲不住的

  • The children always get restless during long car trips. 长途坐车时,孩子们总是坐不住。
  • He had a restless night, worrying about the interview. 因为担心面试,他过了一个辗转反侧的夜晚。
  • I'm feeling restless; let's go for a walk outside. 我感觉有点坐不住,咱们出去散散步吧。
Anxious 焦虑的She felt anxious about the test results. 她对考试结果感到焦虑。
Fidgety (因烦躁等)坐卧不安的Stop being so fidgety and sit down! 别在那儿晃来晃去了,坐下!

Since I retired, I've got extra time on my hands. 自从退休以后,我的空闲时间多得是。

have time on one's hands 有的是时间 / 闲得发慌

  • Now that the kids are at school, she has too much time on her hands. 既然孩子们都上学去了,她空闲时间多得不得了。
  • If you have some time on your hands, could you help me with this? 如果你现在有空,能帮我弄弄这个吗?
  • I don't know what to do with all this time on my hands. 我不知道该怎么打发这么多空闲时间。
Kill time 消磨时间 / 打发时间I played games on my phone to kill time while waiting. 等人的时候我玩手机游戏消磨时间。
Free time 空闲时间What do you usually do in your free time? 你空余时间通常做什么?

We don't need to do that. 不必那样(不必劳烦你)。

You don't need to do that. (用于婉言谢绝对方的好意)你没必要那样做 / 别客气。

  • "I'll drive you home." "You don't need to do that, I can take a taxi." “我开车送你回家吧。”“不用了,我打车就行。”
  • "I can pay for your coffee." "Thanks, but you don't need to do that." “我请你喝咖啡吧。”“谢谢,不过真的没必要破费。”
  • "I'll help you clean up." "That's kind, but you don't need to do that." “我帮你收拾吧。”“你真好,但不用劳烦你了。”
Don't bother 别费事了Don't bother cooking dinner for me; I'll eat out. 别费事给我做晚饭了,我在外面吃。
It's not necessary 没有必要It's not necessary to dress up for the party. 去参加聚会没必要穿得那么正式。
发挥余热 更新于:2026-05-15 14:26:54

I'd like to use my brain a little more. 我想多动动脑子。

use one's brain 动脑筋 / 使劲儿想

  • You need to use your brain more if you want to solve this puzzle. 你想解开这个谜题就得再多动动脑子。
  • Come on, use your brain! The answer is right in front of you. 别犯迷糊,动动脑子!答案就在你跟前。
  • He's very smart but he doesn't always use his brain. 他很聪明,但并不总把聪明劲儿用在正地方。
Think outside the box 打破陈规 / 另辟蹊径We need to think outside the box to beat the competition. 我们需要创新思维才能在竞争中取胜。
Rack one's brain 绞尽脑汁I've been racking my brains all day trying to remember her name. 我绞尽脑汁想了一整天,就是想不起她的名字。

You have so much energy and so many years of experience. 你有这么充沛的精力,还有这么多年的经验。

years of experience 多年经验 / 资历深厚

  • She was hired because she has years of experience in marketing. 她被录用是因为她在市场营销方面有多年的经验。
  • With his years of experience, he can handle any crisis. 凭借多年的经验,他能处理任何危机。
  • It takes years of experience to master this craft. 掌握这门手艺需要多年的经验。
Hands-on experience 实践经验 / 亲身经历The course provides students with hands-on experience in coding. 这门课程为学生提供了编程方面的实践经验。
Seasoned 老练的 / 经验丰富的He is a seasoned traveler who has visited over fifty countries. 他是个经验丰富的旅行家,去过五十多个国家。

I'm not looking for a full-time job. 我不打算找一份全职工作。

full-time job 全职工作

  • I'm looking for a full-time job with health benefits. 我想找一份带医疗保险的全职工作。
  • Working a full-time job while studying is very difficult. 边上学边打全职工作是非常困难的。
  • He transitioned from a full-time job to a freelance career. 他从全职工作转型成了自由职业者。
Part-time job 兼职工作She works a part-time job at the library on weekends. 她周末在图书馆做兼职。
Freelance 自由职业的Being a freelance designer gives me more flexibility. 做自由设计师让我的时间更灵活。

Maybe you can help me set the table. 也许你可以帮我摆好餐具。

set the table 摆放餐具 / 准备开饭

  • Can you set the table for four people, please? 请摆一下四个人用的餐具好吗?
  • It’s your turn to set the table tonight. 今晚轮到你摆餐具了。
  • The dinner is almost ready; go and set the table. 晚饭快好了,去把桌子摆好。
Clear the table 收拾桌子After dinner, the kids helped to clear the table. 晚饭后,孩子们帮忙收拾了桌子。
Do the dishes 洗碗I’ll cook if you do the dishes. 如果你洗碗的话,我就做饭。

I prepared lamb chops, mashed potatoes, and a tossed green salad to begin with. 我准备了羊排、土豆泥,还有作为开胃菜的拌蔬菜沙拉。

to begin with 首先 / 第一点 / (作为)开端

  • I didn't like the movie. To begin with, the acting was terrible. 我不喜欢这电影。首先,演技太烂了。
  • We’ll have some soup to begin with. 我们先喝点汤开开胃。
  • The project was difficult to begin with, and then it got even worse. 这项目刚开始就很困难,后来变得更糟了。
In the first place 起初 / 首先Why did you buy it in the first place if you didn't need it? 要是你不需要,当初为什么要买呢?
Appetizer 开胃菜Would you like to order an appetizer before the main course? 主菜上来前您想点个开胃菜吗?

There must be some way to put my mind to good use. 一定有某种方法能让我的才智得到充分利用。

put [something] to good use 好好利用某物 / 使...发挥作用

  • She put her spare time to good use by learning a new language. 她利用业余时间学习了一门新语言。
  • We should put these old clothes to good use and donate them. 我们应该好好利用这些旧衣服,把它们捐出去。
  • He finally put his law degree to good use. 他终于让他的法律学位派上了用场。
Make the most of 充分利用Let's make the most of the sunny weather and go to the beach. 咱们趁着天气晴朗,去海滩好好玩玩吧。
Utilize (正式)利用 / 使用The company utilizes the latest technology to improve efficiency. 公司利用最新技术来提高效率。

We'll find a solution. 我们会找到解决办法的。

find a solution 找到解决办法 / 解决问题

  • It took them weeks to find a solution to the technical problem. 他们花了好几个星期才找到那个技术问题的解决办法。
  • The government is trying to find a solution to the housing crisis. 政府正努力寻找解决住房危机的办法。
  • If we work together, we can find a solution. 如果我们齐心协力,就能找到办法。
Solve 解决Can you solve this math problem? 你能解开这道数学题吗?
Work out 琢磨出 / 解决I'm sure we can work something out. 我相信我们能想出办法解决的。