Episode 12 You're Tops ACT II顶尖高手 第二幕

[ In Susan's office a few days later. Susan calls Sam, her assistant, into her office. ]

Susan: [ She speaks into the intercom. ] Sam, would you come in, please?

萨姆,请进来一下,好吗?

Sam: [ He walks into Susan's office. He is carrying a pad and pen. ] You sound like something's bothering you, Susan. The sketches for the cover of the new doll book?

听起来你好像有什么烦心事,苏珊。是新款洋娃娃画册的封面设计稿吗?

Susan: That's not it. Please sit down.

不是那件事。请坐。

Sam: Sure. [ He sits down. ]

好的。

Susan: I need your advice on a personal matter, but it's not about me.

我有件私事想听听你的意见,不过不是关于我自己的。

Sam: You need my advice on a personal matter, and it's not about you. OK.

你有件私事想听我的意见,而且还不是关于你自己的。好吧。

Susan: It's about my grandfather.

是关于我爷爷的。

Sam: What's the problem?

怎么了?

Susan: It won't sound like a big deal, but it is. I had dinner with him Saturday, and he's very unhappy about not working.

这事听起来可能不算什么大事,但对他来说很重要。星期六我和他一起吃晚饭时,他因为没工作做而特别不开心。

Sam: I thought he was retired and pleased to be living with the family.

我还以为他退休后,和家人住在一起过得挺开心的。

Susan: He is, but there's so much energy and talent in the man, and he doesn't get to use it.

是这样没错,但他精力充沛,又很有才能,却没机会发挥。

Sam: But what can I do? What kind of advice are you looking for?

可我能帮上什么忙?你想听哪方面的建议?

Susan: Simply this. John Marchetta runs this company. 

事情是这样的。约翰·马凯塔是这家公司的掌舵人。

Sam: He founded this company.

这家公司就是他创办的。

Susan: Right. John Marchetta gave me my start here six years ago, when I first graduated from college. He gave me the chance to use my talents and made me feel more confident.

对。六年前我刚大学毕业时,当年是约翰·马凯塔在我初出茅庐时拉了我一把。他给了我施展才华的舞台,也让我真正建立起了自信。

Sam: Right. Maybe he can do the same thing for your grandfather. 

对。也许他也能帮你爷爷一把。

Susan: Or at least give him some advice.

或者至少给他一些建议。

Sam: Right. Then I've solved your problem. [ He laughs. ]

好,那看来我已经帮你把问题解决了。

Susan: [ Laughing ] I can always depend on you, Sam.

我就知道总能靠你帮忙,萨姆。

Sam: I'm glad to help. Shall I call Mr. Marchetta for you?

能帮上忙我很高兴。要不要我帮你打电话给马凯塔先生?

Susan: No, no. I'll do that. Thanks. [ She picks up the phone to call Mr. Marchetta. ]

不用不用,我自己打。谢谢。

[ In John Marchetta's office later that day. ]

Marchetta: Now, how's the Stewart family?

对了,斯图尔特一家最近怎么样?

Susan: Fine, thank you, Mr. Marchetta. Except for my grandfather.

都挺好的,谢谢你,马凯塔先生。就是我爷爷不太好。

Marchetta: What's wrong, Susan? What's wrong with him?

怎么了,苏珊?他出什么事了?

Susan: He needs to work. In fact, that is the reason why I'm here to see you. I know you're building a new factory, and I thought ... maybe ... my grandfather is so experienced in the construction trade, he could be so valuable.

他想找点事情做。其实,这也是我今天来找你的原因。我知道你们正在建新工厂,我在想… 也许… 我爷爷在建筑行业经验非常丰富,他应该能带来极大的价值。

Marchetta: Tell him to come and see me at ten o'clock tomorrow morning. I have an idea that may solve the problem for him and help a lot of other people.

叫他明天上午十点来见我。我有个想法,说不定既能解决他的心病,还能造福不少人呢。

Susan: Really, Mr. Marchetta? Can I tell him that?

真的吗,马凯塔先生?我可以这样告诉他吗?

Marchetta: Sure can. Ten o'clock in the morning. Here.

当然可以。明天上午十点,就在我这儿。

Susan: Oh, thank you!

噢,太谢谢你了!
9个相关单词

与课文关联的单词

cover *

/ˈkʌvə(r)/n. 封面

personal *

/ˈpɜːsən(ə)l/adj. 私人的

found *

/faʊnd/v. 创办,成立

graduated

/ˈɡrædʒueɪtɪd/v. 毕业

same thing

/seɪm θɪŋ/n. 同样的事情

factory *

/ˈfæktri;/n. 工厂

experienced

/ɪkˈspɪəriənst/adj. 老练的

trade *

/treɪd/n. 行业

valuable

/ˈvæljuəb(ə)l/adj. 有价值的
笔记更新中
当您看到了此提示,说明本课笔记还在正在努力更新中...
私事 更新于:2026-05-18 03:24:56

You sound like something's bothering you, Susan.苏珊,你听起来好像有什么心事。

sound like 听起来好像... / 似乎...

  • It sounds like it's going to rain soon. 听起来好像快要下雨了。
  • You sound like you've had a very long day. 你听起来像是过了极其疲惫的一天。
  • That sounds like a wonderful idea for the weekend! 那听起来真是个极好的周末主意!
Bother 困扰 / 打扰 / 使烦恼Is something bothering you? You look pale. 有什么心事困扰你吗?你看上去脸色苍白。
Look like 看起来像...It looks like we are going to be late. 看起来我们要迟到了。

I need your advice on a personal matter.我需要你在私事上给我提点建议。

advice on... 关于...的建议(advice为不可数名词)

  • Can you give me some advice on buying a new laptop? 关于买新笔记本电脑,你能给我提点建议吗?
  • She offered me some valuable advice on career planning. 她针对我的职业规划规划提出了一些宝贵的建议。
  • I need expert advice on managing website traffic. 我需要关于管理网站流量的专家建议。
Advice (名词)建议Let me give you a piece of advice. 让我给你一条建议。
Advise (动词)建议 / 忠告The doctor advised him to stop smoking. 医生建议他戒烟。

It won't sound like a big deal, but it is.这听起来似乎不是什么大事,但真的很重要。

a big deal 大事 / 举足轻重的事 / 了不起的事

  • Don't worry about making mistakes; it's not a big deal. 别担心犯错,没什么大不了的。
  • Landing this new project is a big deal for our team. 拿下这个新项目对我们团队来说是一件大事。
  • "I lost my favorite pen." "It's no big deal, I have another one." “我最喜欢的钢笔丢了。”“没事儿,我还有一支。”
Make a big deal out of 小题大作Please don't make a big deal out of nothing. 请不要无事生非、小题大作。
No biggie (口语)没什么大不了Sorry I'm late. "No biggie, we just started." 抱歉我迟到了。“没事儿,我们刚开始。”

John Marchetta gave me my start here six years ago.六年前,是约翰·马切塔让我在这里起步的。

give someone one's start 给某人事业起步的机会 / 提携某人

  • The local studio gave him his start as a professional photographer. 当地的工作室给了他作为职业摄影师起步的机会。
  • This tech company gives many young graduates their start. 这家科技公司为许多年轻的毕业生提供了事业起步的平台。
  • Who gave you your start in the web hosting industry? 是谁提携你让你在网站托管行业起步的?
Give someone a hand 帮某人一把Could you give me a hand with this heavy box? 你能帮我抬一下这个沉箱子吗?
Kick-start 启动 / 促使...开始The new marketing campaign helped to kick-start sales. 新的营销活动有助于拉动销售。

I can always depend on you, Sam.萨姆,我总是能指望你(你总是那么靠得住)。

depend on 依靠 / 指望 / 取决于

  • You can always depend on him to keep his word. 你永远可以指望他遵守诺言。
  • We depend on server infrastructure to keep our websites running. 我们依靠服务器基础设施来保持网站运行。
  • Whether we go for a picnic will depend on the weather. 我们是否去野餐将取决于天气。
Count on 指望 / 依靠I knew I could count on you to show up. 我就知道我能指望你赶过来。
Reliable 可靠的 / 可信赖的We need a reliable person to manage the digital assets. 我们需要一个可靠的人来管理这些数字化资产。
会见上司 更新于:2026-05-18 03:26:01

Except for my grandfather. 除了我爷爷以外,大家都挺好的。

except for 除...之外(常用于对整体进行细节上的修正或补充说明)

  • The house was completely quiet except for the buzzing of a fly. 除了苍蝇的嗡嗡声,屋里一片死寂。
  • Your essay is excellent except for a few minor spelling mistakes. 除了几处小的拼写错误,你的文章写得棒极了。
  • The cloud infrastructure operates smoothly except for occasional scheduled maintenance. 除了偶尔的例行维护,云端基础设施运行非常平稳。
Except 不包含...在内(常与all, every等连用)We are open every day except Sundays. 除了周日,我们每天都营业。
Apart from 除...之外(既可表示排除,也可表示包含)Apart from the price, the car is perfect. 除去价格不谈,这辆车完美无瑕。

In fact, that is the reason why I'm here to see you. 事实上,这正是我来见您的原因。

In fact 事实上 / 实际上(用于引出更具体的信息或修正前言)

  • I haven't seen him for years. In fact, I can't even remember what he looks like. 我好几年没见他了。事实上,我甚至不记得他长什么样了。
  • The test wasn't difficult at all. In fact, it was quite easy. 考试一点都不难。事实上,还挺简单的。
  • We need to analyze traffic performance; in fact, I've already set up the session recordings. 我们需要分析流量表现;事实上,我已经把会话录制配置好了。
The reason why... ...的原因This is the reason why we decided to upgrade our server. 这就是我们决定升级服务器的原因。
As a matter of fact 其实 / 事实上(常用于口语补充细节)As a matter of fact, I was just about to call you. 其实,我正准备给你打电话呢。

My grandfather is so experienced in the construction trade. 我爷爷在建筑行业有着如此丰富的经验。

be experienced in... 在...方面经验丰富

  • She is highly experienced in multi-agent orchestration systems. 她在多智能体编排系统方面经验非常丰富。
  • He is experienced in teaching English grammar to adults. 他在教成年人英语语法方面很有经验。
  • You should consult someone who is experienced in handling tax forms. 你应该咨询在处理税单方面有经验的人。
Construction trade 建筑行业 / 建筑手艺He spent forty years working in the construction trade. 他在建筑行业干了四十年。
Expert at/in 在...方面是专家Our team is expert at troubleshooting server infrastructure issues. 我们的团队是解决服务器基础设施故障的专家。

I have an idea that may solve the problem for him and help a lot of other people. 我有一个主意,也许既能帮他解决问题,又能帮到很多其他人。

solve the problem for someone 替某人解决问题

  • Don't worry about the domain registration issues; I will solve the problem for you. 别担心域名注册的问题,我会帮你解决的。
  • A good assistant doesn't just find difficulties, they solve problems for their manager. 一个优秀的助理不仅能发现困难,还能帮经理解决问题。
  • The new software updates will solve many performance problems for users. 新的软件更新将为用户解决许多性能问题。
Solve (动词)解决 / 解答It took us all night to solve the network failure. 我们花了一整晚才解决网络故障。
Solution (名词)解决办法We are still looking for a viable solution to the issue. 我们目前仍在寻找解决该问题的可行办法。

Sure can. 当然可以。

Sure can. (口语省略句,完整为 "You sure can." 或 "I sure can.")当然可以 / 没问题

  • "Can I borrow your pen for a second?" "Sure can. Here it is." “我能借用一下你的笔吗?”“当然可以,给你。”
  • "Could you check my website interaction data tonight?" "Sure can, leave it to me." “你今晚能帮我看一下网站互动数据吗?”“完全没问题,交给我吧。”
  • "Can we finish the project ahead of schedule?" "We sure can if everyone cooperates." “我们能提前完成项目吗?”“如果大家都配合,那肯定可以。”
You bet! 那是绝对的 / 没问题!"Are you coming to the dinner tonight?" "You bet!" “你今晚来吃晚饭吗?”“那是必须的!”
No problem. 小事一桩 / 没问题。"Thanks for fixing my computer." "No problem." “谢谢你帮我修电脑。”“小事儿。”