Episode 9 It's Up to You ACT III选校风云 第三幕

[ On the patio of the Stewarts' home later that day. Robbie is watering the flowers. He is speaking with his friend Mike about their interviews for college ]

Mike: I had an interview today, too. I had a great interview with Admissions at Columbia University.

我今天也参加了面试。我跟哥伦比亚大学招生办谈得特别顺利。

Robbie: Really? What did they say? Will you get into the school?

真的?他们怎么说?你能被录取吗?

Mike: Well, they didn't say anything for sure. But I figure that with my grades and with my personality, I'll have no problem.

嗯,他们倒没明确表态。不过我觉得凭我的成绩和性格,应该没什么问题。

Robbie: Columbia's a terrific school. What are you going to do?

哥伦比亚大学是所很棒的学校。你打算怎么办?

Mike: Do? I don't know. I also applied to NYU.

怎么办?我也不知道。我还申请了纽约大学。

Robbie: You sound excited about Columbia. What's your problem, Mike?

听起来你挺想去哥伦比亚大学的。你到底在纠结(优柔寡断 / 拿不定主意)什么,迈克?

Mike: Indecision. Indecision.  It's not easy, and this is an important decision we have to make. What about you? How was your interview with Michigan?

就是拿不定主意。这可不容易,而且这是个很重要的决定。你呢?你去密歇根大学面试怎么样?

Robbie: The interview was fine.

面试挺顺利的。

Mike: It's a great college.

那可是所很棒的大学。

Robbie: It is.  My father would like me to go there.  He and my Grandpa both went there.

是啊。我爸爸希望我去那儿读书。我爸爸和爷爷都在那里上过学。

Mike: Great medical school, too.

而且医学院也很厉害。

Robbie: I know.

我知道。

Mike: You can follow in your father's footsteps.

你可以走你爸爸那条路啊。

Robbie: Ah! I'd like to follow in my own footsteps, Mike.

啊!迈克,我更想走我自己的路,留下我自己的足迹。

Mike: What do you want to study?

那你想学什么?

Robbie: I've been thinking. I think I want to study journalism to be a reporter--a newspaperman.

我一直在想这件事。我觉得我想学新闻,以后当记者——做报社记者。

Mike: You do a pretty good job on the Riverdale High School paper.

你在里弗代尔高中的校报上干得挺不错的。

Robbie: And I've been thinking about it a lot lately.

而且最近我一直在认真考虑这件事。

Mike: Have you discussed it with your parents?

你跟你父母谈过了吗?

Robbie: No. But I have to.

还没有。不过我得跟他们谈谈。

Mike: OK. Let's talk.

好,那咱们聊聊。

[ They leave. ]


[ That night. Robbie is sitting in the living room of his home. Philip enters. ]

Philip: Hi, Son. Is everything all right?

嗨,儿子,一切都还好吗?

Robbie: Hi, Dad. Everything's fine.  I was just waiting for you to get home so we could talk.

嗨,爸爸。一切都很好。我一直在等你回来,好跟你聊聊。

Philip: Anything special you want to talk about?

有什么特别的事吗?

Robbie: There is, Dad.

有,爸爸。

Philip: I'm listening.

我在听。

Robbie: Well, I know you and Mom have given up a lot to save money for my college tuition.

我知道你和妈妈为了攒我的大学学费,省吃俭用,付出了很多。

Philip: We want you to go to college, Robbie.

我们希望你能上大学,罗比。

Robbie: I know. I do.

我知道。我也想上大学。

Philip: But?

但是?

Robbie: Well, I've thought a lot about which college, and one of them is Columbia.

嗯,我一直在认真考虑该上哪所大学,其中一所就是哥伦比亚大学。

Philip: Columbia? Why Columbia?

哥伦比亚大学?为什么是哥伦比亚?

Robbie: First, they have an excellent School of Journalism.

首先,他们的新闻学院非常优秀。

Philip: They do. And your friends are planning to go to Columbia?

确实不错。那你的朋友们也打算去哥伦比亚大学吗?

Robbie: That's only part of it. It's complicated. I'll try to explain.  Mike and I had a hamburger this afternoon, and we talked.

那只是一部分原因。这事挺复杂的,我尽量解释清楚。今天下午我和迈克一起吃汉堡的时候聊了很多。

Philip: Yes?

然后呢?

Robbie: Well, we talked about a lot of things. He applied to Columbia, and his interview was very successful. He thinks he'll be accepted, and he really wants to go there.

嗯,我们聊了很多。他申请了哥伦比亚大学,而且面试非常顺利。他觉得自己会被录取,而且他真的很想去那里。

Philip: Dean Rafer called me today. He told me he was very impressed with you.

雷弗主任今天给我打电话了。他说他对你的印象非常好。

Robbie: He's a nice man. He was very kind.

他人很好,对我也很亲切。

Philip: He told me you had some doubts about wanting to go to Michigan.

他说你对去密歇根大学这件事还有些犹豫。

Robbie: Yes. I do.  I'm just not sure about what I want to do.

是的。我只是还不确定自己到底想做什么。

Philip: That's OK.

这没关系。

Robbie: You understand?

你能理解吗?

Philip: Let me tell you something, Robbie. Something that might be surprising to you.

让我告诉你一件事,罗比。一件可能会让你意外的事。

Robbie: What? Tell me.

什么事?快告诉我。

Philip: Well, Grandpa wanted me to study engineering, like him. Well, I wasn't clear about my future, but I knew engineering was not for me.

嗯,爷爷以前希望我跟他一样学工程。那时候我对未来也没什么明确想法,但我知道工程并不适合我。

Robbie: What did you tell Grandpa?

那你怎么跟爷爷说的?

Philip: The truth.

我对他说了实话。

Robbie: Then you're not upset about my not wanting to go into medicine.

这么说,你不会因为我不想学医而生气?

Philip: I'm not upset at all.  I'm just happy that we're able to talk about it.

我一点也不生气。我只是很高兴我们能把这件事说开。

Robbie: I am too, Dad.

我也是,爸爸。

Philip: I suppose you want to apply to Columbia.

我想你是想申请哥伦比亚大学吧。

Robbie: Yes, but I also want to apply to several other colleges.

是的,不过我也想再申请几所别的大学。

Philip: I thought you wanted to go to Columbia.

我还以为你已经决定去哥伦比亚大学了。

Robbie: Well, I might want to go to Columbia. But I might not.  I just want to be able to make my own decision.

嗯,我也许会去哥伦比亚大学,也许不会。我只是想自己做决定。

Philip: You're a real Stewart!

你可真是个地地道道的斯图尔特家人!(暗示家族这种独立、有主见的遗传)

Robbie: And if I think about it long enough, you never know ...

而且如果我再多考虑考虑,说不定…

Philip: Never know what?

说不定什么?

Robbie: If I make my own decision, I might choose Michigan.

如果让我自己决定,说不定我最后会选密歇根大学。

Philip: Robbie, you're something! You know, when I was your age, I said exactly the same thing to Grandpa. [ They smile. ]

罗比,你真有出息!你知道吗,我当年对你爷爷也是这么说的。
14个相关单词

与课文关联的单词

Columbia

/kəˈlʌmbiə/n. 哥伦比亚

figure *

/ˈfɪɡə(r)/v. 估计

personality

/ˌpɜːsəˈnæləti/n. 性格(人品)

NYU

/en waɪjuː/n. 纽约大学

indecision

/ˌɪndɪˈsɪʒn/n. 优柔寡断

newspaperman

/ˈnjuːzpeɪpəmæn/n. 新闻工作者

lately

/ˈleɪtli/adv. 最近

discuss *

/dɪˈskʌs/v. 讨论

tuition

/tjuˈɪʃ(ə)n/n. 学费

complicated

/ˈkɒmplɪkeɪtɪd/adj. 复杂的

accepted *

/əkˈseptɪd/v. (被)录取

impressed

/ɪmˈprest/adj. 留下印象的

surprising

/səˈpraɪzɪŋ/v. 使...惊呀

choose *

/tʃuːz/v. 选择
笔记更新中
当您看到了此提示,说明本课笔记还在正在努力更新中...
与同学聊志愿 更新于:2026-05-08 11:43:16

I figure that with my grades and with my personality, I'll have no problem.

I figure that 我琢磨着 / 我想(非正式判断)

  • I figure that it'll take about an hour to get there. 我估摸着到那儿得花一个小时。
  • I figure that if we leave now, we'll beat the traffic. 我想咱们要是现在走,就能避开早高峰。
  • I figure that she's just a bit tired after the trip. 我琢磨着她可能就是旅途之后有点累了。
I reckon 我猜 / 我看(地道口语)I reckon we'll have a storm tonight. 我看今晚得有一场暴风雨。
I suspect 我怀疑 / 我料想I suspect that he already knows the truth. 我料想他其实已经知道真相了。

This is an important decision we have to make.

make a decision 做决定

  • It’s hard to make a decision when you have so many choices. 当你有这么多选择时,很难做决定。
  • I need more time before I make a final decision. 在做最终决定前,我还需要点时间。
  • Have you made a decision about which car to buy? 关于买哪辆车你定下来了吗?
Reach a decision 达成决定(经过讨论)The committee has finally reached a decision. 委员会终于达成了决定。
Come to a decision 得出结论 / 决定I hope you can come to a decision soon. 我希望你能尽快定下来。

My father would like me to go there.我父亲倒是希望我也去那儿读书。

would like someone to do 想要某人做某事(礼貌/愿望)

  • I'd like you to meet my sister. 我想让你见见我姐姐。
  • Would you like me to call a taxi for you? 需要我帮你叫辆出租车吗?
  • My parents would like me to become a doctor. 我父母希望我能当个医生。

You can follow in your father's footsteps.你可以继承你父亲的衣钵。

follow in someone's footsteps 效仿某人 / 继承某人的事业

  • He followed in his father's footsteps and joined the army. 他继承父志,参军入伍了。
  • She decided not to follow in her mother's footsteps. 她决定不走她母亲的老路。
  • Many children follow in their parents' footsteps in the medical profession. 很多孩子在医学事业上子承父业。
Carry on the tradition 传承传统They are carrying on the tradition of family farming. 他们正在传承家族务农的传统。
Take up the mantle 接班 / 承担责任It's time for the younger generation to take up the mantle. 是时候让年轻一代接过重担了。

I think I want to study journalism to be a reporter.我想我要去学新闻专业,当个记者。

study journalism 学新闻学

  • If you want to be a writer, you should study journalism. 如果你想当作家,你应该去学新闻。
  • She's studying journalism at Columbia University. 她正在哥伦比亚大学攻读新闻专业。
  • Why did you choose to study journalism? 你为什么选择学新闻?

You do a pretty good job on the Riverdale High School paper.你在河谷镇高中的校报工作干得相当漂亮。

do a good job on 在……方面做得出色

  • You did a great job on the presentation yesterday. 你昨天的演讲做得太棒了。
  • He's doing a good job on the new project. 他在新项目上表现得很出色。
  • I'm trying to do a good job on fixing the car. 我正努力把这车修好。
Excel at 擅长 / 胜出She excels at creative writing. 她非常擅长创意写作。
Acing it 表现完美(口语)You're acing it with your English study! 你英语学得真溜!

Have you discussed it with your parents?这事儿你跟爸妈商量过了吗?

discuss something with someone 和某人商量某事

  • I need to discuss this with my manager first. 我得先跟我经理商量一下这事。
  • We discussed the problem with the neighbors. 我们和邻居讨论了那个问题。
  • Have you discussed the budget with the team? 你跟团队讨论过预算了吗?
Talk it over 商量 / 讨论清楚Let's talk it over tonight. 咱们今晚好好商量商量。
Consult with 咨询 / 请教You should consult with your lawyer. 你应该咨询一下你的律师。
和父亲谈想法 更新于:2026-05-08 11:44:16

I was just waiting for you to get home so we could talk.我刚才一直在等你回家,好让我们能谈谈。

wait for someone to do 等待某人做某事

  • I'll wait for you to finish your homework. 我会等你写完作业。
  • We are waiting for the rain to stop before going out. 我们在等雨停了再出去。
  • She's waiting for the bus to arrive. 她正在等公交车过来。
So (that) 以便 / 为了(引导目的)I'll leave the light on so (that) you can see. 我会开着灯,好让你能看得见。

Anything special you want to talk about?有什么特别想聊的事儿吗?

Anything special 有什么特别的吗(疑问句/否定句中形容词后置)

  • Is there anything special on the menu tonight? 今晚菜单上有什么特别的菜吗?
  • I didn't do anything special over the weekend. 周末我没做什么特别的事。
  • If anything special happens, let me know. 如果有啥特别的情况,告诉我一声。
Something special 特别的东西(肯定句)I have something special for your birthday. 我给你准备了一份特别的生日礼物。

Mom and I have given up a lot to save money for your tuition.妈和我为了攒你的学费牺牲了很多。

give up 放弃 / 牺牲 / 戒掉

  • He had to give up his dream of becoming an actor. 他不得不放弃当演员的梦想。
  • They gave up their weekends to volunteer. 他们牺牲了周末时间去做志愿者。
  • Don't give up on your goals so easily. 别这么轻易就放弃你的目标。

It's complicated.这事儿挺复杂的。/ 一言难尽。

complicated 复杂的 / 难对付的

  • The instructions are too complicated for me. 这些说明对我来说太复杂了。
  • Relationship status: It's complicated. 感情状态:一言难尽。
  • Stop making things so complicated! 别把事情搞得那么复杂!
Complex 复杂的(侧重结构严密)The human brain is a complex organ. 人脑是一个复杂的器官。
Tricky 棘手的 / 难办的That's a tricky question to answer. 那是个很难回答的棘手问题。

He was very impressed with you.他对你的印象非常深刻。

be impressed with 对……印象深刻 / 感到钦佩

  • I was impressed with her fluent English. 她的流利英语给我留下了深刻印象。
  • The boss was impressed with your performance. 老板对你的表现很满意/很钦佩。
  • Are you impressed with the new office? 你觉得新办公室怎么样?(印象好吗?)

Something that might be surprising to you.这事儿可能会让你感到惊讶。

surprising to 对……来说是惊讶的

  • The news was surprising to everyone in the room. 这消息让房间里的所有人都感到惊讶。
  • It is surprising to me that he failed the exam. 他考试没及格让我觉得很吃惊。
  • Nothing is surprising to him anymore. 对他来说,再没有什么事是新鲜的了。

I knew engineering was not for me.我知道工程学并不适合我。

not for me 不适合我 / 我不感兴趣

  • I tried skydiving, but it's not for me. 我试过高空跳伞,但不适合我(我受不了)。
  • Spicy food is not for me. 我不爱吃辣(辣味不适合我)。
  • This kind of lifestyle is not for me. 这种生活方式不适合我。
Not my cup of tea 不是我的菜Opera is not my cup of tea. 歌剧不是我的菜。

Then you're not upset about my not wanting to go into medicine.这么说,你并没因为我不想学医而生气。

go into 进入……行业 / 从事

  • Why did you decide to go into teaching? 你为什么决定从事教育行业?
  • He's planning to go into politics. 他打算从政。
  • Many graduates go into the tech industry. 许多毕业生进入了科技行业。
Upset about 对……感到不快/生气Don't get upset about such a small thing. 别为这么点小事不痛快。

I want to apply to several other colleges.我想申请其他几所大学。

apply to 向……提出申请(机构/学校)

  • You should apply to at least five universities. 你至少应该申请五所大学。
  • I'm going to apply to a few big companies for a job. 我打算向几家大公司申请工作。
  • Did you apply to that art school in London? 你申请伦敦那家艺术学院了吗?
Apply for 申请(具体的事物,如职位/奖金)He applied for a visa last week. 他上周申请了签证。

If I make my own decision, I might choose Michigan.如果由我自己拿主意,我可能会选密歇根大学。

choose 选择(语气比 select 更生活化)

  • It's hard to choose between the two options. 在这两个选项中很难抉择。
  • Which dress did you choose in the end? 你最后选了哪件裙子?
  • You can choose to stay or leave. 你可以选择留下或者离开。