Episode 9 It's Up to You ACT II选校风云 第二幕

[ The following morning. Robbie is sitting in the living room. He is waiting for Philip to take him to see Charley Rafer at the university club. ]

Philip: Sorry, Robbie. Sorry to be late this morning, but, well, we've still got some time for a cup of coffee. I can't wait to see my old pal Charley Rafer.

抱歉,罗比。今天早上来晚了,不过我们还有时间喝杯咖啡。我真等不及想见见我的老朋友查理·雷弗了。

Robbie: Neither can I.

我也等不及了。

[ They go into the kitchen. ]

Philip: So you thought about it, huh?

这么说你已经考虑过了,是吗?

Robbie: Yes, I have, Dad.

是的,爸爸,我考虑过了。

Philip: Well, I'm glad.  I knew you'd realize that this interview could be an important experience for you.

那就好,我很高兴。我知道你会意识到这次面试对你来说会是一次很重要的经历。

Robbie: I came to that conclusion.

我确实也是这么想的。

Philip: That's very wise, Robbie. Very wise. Now let's head off for the city and the university club.

这很明智,罗比,非常明智。现在我们进城去大学俱乐部吧。

Robbie: Thanks, Dad.

谢谢你,爸爸。

Philip: Thanks ... for what?

谢我什么?

Robbie: Thanks for hearing me out. And ...

谢谢你愿意听我把话说完。而且…

Philip: And ...?

而且…?

Robbie: And thanks for being such an understanding father.

还要谢谢你是个这么善解人意的爸爸。

Philip: Well, thank you, Robbie. Thank you.

嗯,谢谢你,罗比。谢谢。

[ In an office at the university club. Dean Rafer greets Philip and Robbie. ]

Dean: [entering] Philip Stewart! It's great to see you!

菲利普·斯图尔特!真高兴见到你!

Philip: Charley Rafer --you look as young as ever.

查理·雷弗——你看起来还是那么年轻。

[ They hug. ]

Dean: You must be Robbie.

你一定就是罗比吧。

Robbie: Hi.

你好。

Philip: Yes, this is my youngest son Robbie. Robbie, I want you to meet one of the best tennis players on the Michigan team --Charley Rafer.

是的,这是我的小儿子罗比。罗比,我想让你认识一下当年密歇根校队最优秀的网球选手之一——查理·雷弗。

Robbie: Nice to meet you, Dean Rafer.

很高兴见到您,雷弗主任。

Dean: Well, are you as good a tennis player as your dad?

那么,你网球打得跟你爸爸一样好吗?

Robbie: No, I'm not very good at it.

不,我网球打得不太好。

Philip: Frankly, neither was I. Charley was the star of the team.

坦白说,我当年打得也不怎么样。查理才是队里的明星。

Dean: Yeah. Thanks. Well, how've you been, Philip?

是吗,谢谢。对了,菲利普,你这些年过得怎么样?

Philip: Oh, working too hard.

噢,老样子,忙得不可开交。

Dean: Doesn't show. How's Ellen?

可一点都看不出来。埃伦怎么样?

Philip: Fine, thank you. And how's Marge?

她很好,谢谢。玛吉怎么样?

Dean: She's still giving the toughest English history exams in the school and loving every minute of it. And speaking of minutes, I have interviews until noon, so why don't we get right to work?

她还是照样出全校最难的英国文学史考试题,而且还乐在其中。说到时间,我从现在到中午还有不少面试,所以咱们直接开始吧?

Philip: Can you have lunch with us later?

待会儿能跟我们一起吃午饭吗?

Dean: I'd love to, Philip, but I'm afraid I can't. I'm only here two days, and I have interviews with twenty-six applicants.

我很想,菲利普,不过恐怕不行。我只在这儿待两天,还要面试二十六位申请人。

Philip: I understand. Well, thanks. I'll wait outside. [ to Robbie ] Good luck, Son. [ He leaves. ]

我明白。那谢谢了。我在外面等你。祝你好运,儿子。

Dean: Did you bring your transcript from high school?

你把高中的成绩单带来了吗?

Robbie: Yes, sir. Right here.

带来了,先生。在这儿。

Dean: Thank you. Please sit down. I see under "activities" that you've been writing for the school paper.

谢谢。请坐。我看到你在“活动”一栏里写着,你一直在为校报写文章。

Robbie: Yes, sir.

是的,先生。

Dean: What kinds of articles have you written?

你都写过哪些类型的文章?

Robbie: All kinds --sports, editorials, theater reviews. You name it, I've written it.

各种各样的——体育、社论、剧评。凡是你能想到的,我都写过。

Dean: Hmmm. Well, have you ever thought of becoming a journalist?

嗯。那么,你有没有想过当一名记者?

Robbie: A professional writer? Not until recently.

职业作家?直到最近我才开始考虑这个方向。

Dean: Michigan has a fine School of Journalism.

密歇根大学的新闻学院是非常出色的。

Robbie: Yes, I know that.

是的,我知道。

Dean: You seem to have some reservations.

不过看起来你还有些迟疑。

Robbie: I'm a little uncertain.

我还有点拿不定主意。

[ We see Philip nervously waiting outside the office. Dean Rafer has finished interviewing Robbie. ]

Dean: [ to Robbie ] It's been very nice talking to you.

跟你聊得很愉快。

Robbie: Nice talking to you, sir.

我也很高兴能和您聊天,先生。

Dean: One piece of advice. The most important thing is for you to decide your own future.

送你一句话:最重要的事情,莫过于你要亲自决定自己的未来。

Robbie: Yes, sir. Good-bye, Dean Rafer.

好的,先生。再见,雷弗主任。

Dean: Good-bye, Robbie. Good luck.

再见,罗比。祝你好运。
17个相关单词

与课文关联的单词

old pal

/əʊld pæl/n. 老友

conclusion

/kənˈkluːʒn/n. 结论

wise *

/waɪz/adj. 明智的

hear out

/hɪə(r) aʊt/v. 倾听

understanding

/ˌʌndəˈstændɪŋ/n. 理解

frankly

/ˈfræŋkli/n. 坦诚地

star *

/stɑː(r)/n. 明星

tough *

/tʌf/adj. 困难的

transcript

/ˈtrænskrɪpt/n. 成绩单

activity *

/ækˈtɪvəti/n. 活动

editorial

/ˌedɪˈtɔːriəl/n. 社论

review *

/rɪˈvjuː/n. 评论

name *

/neɪm/v. 说出…的名称

journalism

/ˈdʒɜːnəlɪz(ə)m/n. 新闻专业

reservation

/ˌrezəˈveɪʃn/n. 存疑,保留

uncertain

/ʌnˈsɜːt(ə)n/adj. 不确实的

nervously

/ˈnɜːvəsli/adv. 焦急地
笔记更新中
当您看到了此提示,说明本课笔记还在正在努力更新中...
父子交心 更新于:2026-05-08 06:27:51

I can't wait to see my old pal Charley Rafer.我等不及要见我的老伙计查理·雷弗了。

can't wait to 等不及要做某事

  • I can't wait to open my birthday presents! 我等不及要拆我的生日礼物了!
  • She can't wait to go on vacation after the busy project. 忙完这个项目,她等不及要去度假了。
  • The kids can't wait to see the new Disney movie. 孩子们等不及要看那部新的迪士尼电影了。
be dying to 极度渴望/想死...了I'm dying to know what happened at the party. 我真想死(急着想)知道派对上发生啥了。
look forward to 期待(较正式)We look forward to meeting you in person. 我们期待着与您本人见面。

Neither can I.我也等不及。/ 我也是。

Neither + 助动词 + 主语 我也没...(对否定句的认同)

  • "I don't like coffee." "Neither do I." “我不喜欢咖啡。” “我也一样。”
  • "She hasn't seen the film." "Neither have I." “她还没看过那部电影。” “我也没看过。”
  • "I won't be there tomorrow." "Neither will I." “我明天不去那儿。” “我也不会去。”
Me neither 我也没...(非正式口语)"I can't swim." "Me neither." “我不会游泳。” “我也不会。”
So + 助动词 + I 我也一样(对肯定句的认同)"I'm so tired." "So am I." “我好累。” “我也是。”

I knew you'd realize that this interview could be an important experience for you.我就知道你会意识到,这次面试对你来说可能是一次重要的经历。

realize 意识到 / 认清(事实)

  • I didn't realize how late it was. 我没意识到已经这么晚了。
  • She slowly realized that she had made a mistake. 她慢慢意识到自己犯了个错。
  • Do you realize how much this costs? 你知不知道这玩意儿有多贵?

I came to that conclusion.我也得出了那个结论。/ 我也想通了。

come to a conclusion 得出结论 / 下定论

  • After a long discussion, we came to the conclusion that the plan was flawed. 经过长谈,我们得出结论:这计划有缺陷。
  • Don't come to any conclusions before you hear the whole story. 听完原委之前,别急着下定论。
  • I've come to the conclusion that we need a new car. 我最终决定,咱们得买辆新车。
Reach a conclusion 达成结论We haven't reached a conclusion yet. 我们还没商量出个结果。
Make up one's mind 下决心I finally made up my mind to quit. 我终于下定决心辞职了。

Now let's head off for the city.咱们现在就进城去吧。

head off for 动身前往某地

  • What time do you want to head off for the airport? 你打算几点动身去机场?
  • We're heading off for the beach this weekend. 这周末我们要去海滩。
  • I'm heading off for lunch now, want to join? 我现在要去吃午饭,想一起吗?
Set off 出发(常规)We set off early to avoid the traffic. 我们一早就出发了,省得堵车。
Make for 直接向...走去The kids made for the ice cream stand. 孩子们直奔冰淇淋摊儿去了。

Thanks for hearing me out.谢谢你能听我把话说完。

hear someone out 听某人把话说完

  • Please hear me out before you get angry. 在你生气之前,请先听我把话说完。
  • I know it sounds crazy, but just hear him out. 我知道这听起来很离谱,但你就听他讲完吧。
  • Thanks for hearing me out, it means a lot. 谢谢你能耐心听我说完,这对我意义重大。

And thanks for being such an understanding father.也谢谢你这么体谅我,是个这么开明的爸爸。

understanding (形容词)体谅的 / 通情达理的

  • My boss was very understanding when I needed to leave early. 我需要早走时,老板表现得很体谅。
  • Thank you for being so understanding about the delay. 感谢您对延误的体谅。
  • An understanding friend is hard to find. 懂你的朋友很难找。
Considerate 体贴的/周到的It was very considerate of you to bring flowers. 你带花来真是太体贴了。
Open-minded 开明的My parents are quite open-minded about my career. 我爸妈对我职业的选择挺开明的。
老友相见 更新于:2026-05-08 06:28:54

It's great to see you!见到你真是太棒了!

It's great to ……真是太好了

  • It's great to have you here with us. 你能和我们在一起真是太好了。
  • It's great to finally meet you in person. 终于见到你本人真是太好了。
  • It's great to be back home after a long trip. 长途旅行后回到家里的感觉真是太好了。
It's a pleasure to 很高兴……(更正式)It's a pleasure to work with you. 能与您共事是我的荣幸。
Good to ……挺好的(简略)Good to know you're safe. 知道你安全就好。

You look as young as ever.你还是跟以前一样年轻。

as ... as ever 依旧…… / 还是老样子

  • The city is as busy as ever. 这座城市还是像以前一样繁忙。
  • She is as beautiful as ever in that dress. 她穿那件衣服还是和以前一样漂亮。
  • The food here is as delicious as ever. 这儿的饭菜还是和以前一样好吃。

I want you to meet one of the best tennis players.我想让你见见最顶尖的网球手之一。

want someone to do 想要某人做某事

  • I want you to tell me the truth. 我想要你告诉我真相。
  • The teacher wants us to finish the project by Friday. 老师想要我们在周五前完成这个项目。
  • Do you want me to pick you up at the station? 你想要我到车站去接你吗?
Would like someone to 想要某人做(委婉)I would like you to join our meeting. 我希望能邀请您参加我们的会议。
Need someone to 需要某人做(强调必要性)I need you to sign this document. 我需要你在这份文件上签字。

I'm not very good at it.我不太擅长(打网球)。

be good at 擅长于……

  • He is very good at playing the piano. 他非常擅长弹钢琴。
  • Are you good at cooking Chinese food? 你擅长做中国菜吗?
  • I've never been good at math. 我从来就不擅长数学。

Neither was I.我以前也不擅长。

Neither + 助动词/系动词 + 主语 (否定意义的)我也是 / 我也不……

  • "I haven't seen that movie." "Neither have I." “我没看过那部电影。” “我也没看过。”
  • "I don't like cold weather." "Neither do I." “我不喜欢冷天。” “我也是。”
  • "He wasn't ready." "Neither was she." “他没准备好。” “她也没准备好。”

How 've you been, Philip?菲利普,你最近过得怎么样?

How have you been? 你最近好吗?(询问一段时间的状态)

  • Hi! Long time no see. How have you been? 嘿!好久不见,你最近过得怎么样?
  • How have you been since you moved to Chicago? 你搬到芝加哥之后过得还好吗?
  • A: "How have you been?" B: "Pretty good, thanks." A: “最近怎么样?” B: “挺好的,谢谢。”
How's it going? 最近咋样?(非正式)Hey! How's it going with your new job? 嘿!新工作进展得怎么样?
How are things? 一切还顺吗?How are things at home? 家里一切都还好吗?

It doesn't show.(工作辛苦但)一点儿也看不出来。

It doesn't show 看不出来 / 不显老 / 没表现出来

  • He says he's sixty, but it doesn't show. 他说他六十岁了,但一点也看不出来。
  • She was very nervous, but it didn't show during the presentation. 她非常紧张,但在演示过程中完全看不出来。
  • I stayed up all night, but I hope it doesn't show. 我熬了一整夜,但愿看上去没那么憔悴。

Speaking of minutes, why don't we get right to work?说到时间,咱们这就开始谈正事吧?

speaking of 说到 / 谈到

  • Speaking of movies, have you seen the latest Batman? 说到电影,你看过最新的蝙蝠侠了吗?
  • Speaking of money, you still owe me ten dollars. 说到钱,你还欠我十块钱呢。
  • We're going to Paris. Speaking of which, do you know any good hotels? 我们要去巴黎。说到这儿,你知道有什么好旅馆吗?

get to work 开始干活 / 进入工作状态

  • Stop chatting and get to work! 别聊了,快开始干活!
  • Let's get right to work on the new proposal. 咱们这就开始研究这个新提案吧。
  • I have to get to work early tomorrow. 我明天得早点去上班。

I's afraid I can't.恐怕我不行。/ 恐怕我去不了。

I'm afraid (that) ... (委婉表达)恐怕…… / 很遗憾……

  • I'm afraid that I have to cancel our appointment. 很抱歉,我恐怕得取消我们的预约。
  • A: "Can you help me?" B: "I'm afraid I'm a bit busy right now." A: “你能帮帮我吗?” B: “恐怕我现在有点忙。”
  • I'm afraid there's been a mistake. 恐怕这里出了点错。
Unfortunately 不幸的是 / 很遗憾Unfortunately, the flight was delayed. 遗憾的是,航班延误了。
Regrettably 令人遗憾地Regrettably, we cannot accept your offer. 很遗憾,我们无法接受您的报价。
参加面试 更新于:2026-05-08 06:30:05

I see that you've been writing for the school paper.我看到你在活动一栏里写到,你一直在给校报供稿。

be writing for 为……撰稿 / 供稿

  • She has been writing for a fashion magazine for three years. 她已经给一家时尚杂志写了三年的稿子了。
  • Would you like to write for our company blog? 你愿意为我们公司的博客撰稿吗?
  • He writes for the local newspaper in his spare time. 他业余时间给当地报纸写稿。
Contribute to 投稿 / 贡献稿件I regularly contribute to several online journals. 我定期向几家在线刊物投稿。
Columnist 专栏作家She is a columnist for the Sunday Times. 她是《星期日泰晤士报》的专栏作家。

You name it, I've written it.只要你能说得出来的,我都写过。

You name it 凡是你所能说出的 / 诸如此类

  • This shop sells everything: electronics, clothes, toys—you name it. 这家店啥都卖:电器、衣服、玩具——只要你能说出的都有。
  • We have all kinds of beer: IPAs, stouts, lagers, you name it. 我们这儿有各种啤酒:IPA、世涛、拉格,应有尽有。
  • I’ve tried every diet—low carb, vegan, keto, you name it. 我试过各种饮食法:低碳、素食、生酮,凡是你能想到的我都试过。
And so on 诸如此类They sell fruit, vegetables, and so on. 他们卖水果、蔬菜等等。
Whatever you can think of 你能想到的任何事物The resort has whatever you can think of for a holiday. 那个度假村拥有你能想到的所有度假设施。

Have you ever thought of becoming a journalist?你有没有考虑过当一名记者?

thought of 考虑 / 想到

  • I never thought of it that way before. 我以前从未那样想过。
  • Have you thought of moving to another city? 你有没有考虑过搬到另一个城市?
  • I just thought of a great idea for our project. 我刚刚为我们的项目想到了一个绝妙的主意。
Consider 考虑We are considering buying a new house. 我们正在考虑买新房子。
Contemplate 深思熟虑He contemplated quitting his job for a long time. 他考虑辞职已经考虑很久了。

You seem to have some reservations.你似乎有些顾虑。

have reservations 有保留意见 / 有顾虑

  • I have serious reservations about his ability to do the job. 我对他胜任这份工作的能力抱有很大的怀疑。
  • They accepted the proposal, but with some reservations. 他们接受了提议,但持保留意见。
  • I have no reservations about recommending her. 我毫无保留地推荐她。
Second thoughts 动摇 / 改变主意I'm having second thoughts about getting married. 关于结婚的事,我有点犹豫了。
Mixed feelings 矛盾的心情I have mixed feelings about moving to New York. 对于搬去纽约,我心情挺矛盾的。

It's been very nice talking to you.和你聊天非常愉快。

It has been nice ...ing 做某事很愉快(用于总结或告别)

  • It's been nice meeting you, Mr. Smith. 史密斯先生,很高兴见到您。
  • It's been nice working with such a professional team. 与如此专业的团队合作一直很愉快。
  • It's been nice catching up with you after all these years. 这么多年后能和你叙叙旧真好。
I enjoyed ... 我很享受……I really enjoyed our conversation. 我真的很喜欢咱们刚才的谈话。
Pleasure 荣幸/愉快It was a pleasure talking to you. 跟你聊天是我的荣幸。

The most important thing is for you to decide your own future.最要紧的是,你的未来得由你自己决定。

decide one's own future 决定自己的未来

  • Don't let others decide your own future. 别让别人来左右你的未来。
  • You are old enough to decide your own future. 你已经大到可以自己决定未来了。
  • It’s a big responsibility to decide your own future. 决定自己的未来是一份沉甸甸的责任。
Call the shots 说了算 / 做主In this house, my mom calls the shots. 在这个家里,我妈说了算。
Be in the driver's seat 掌控局面You should be in the driver's seat when it comes to your career. 谈到职业生涯,你应该握好方向盘(掌握主动)。