Episode 9 It's Up to You ACT III

选校风云 第三幕

Watch the video then answer the question:

[ On the patio of the Stewarts' home later that day. Robbie is watering the flowers. He is speaking with his friend Mike about their interviews for college ]

Mike: I had an interview today, too. I had a great interview with Admissions at Columbia University.

我今天也参加了面试。我跟哥伦比亚大学招生办谈得特别顺利。

Robbie: Really? What did they say? Will you get into the school?

真的?他们怎么说?你能被录取吗?

Mike: Well, they didn't say anything for sure. But I figure that with my grades and with my personality, I'll have no problem.

嗯,他们倒没明确表态。不过我觉得凭我的成绩和性格,应该没什么问题。

Robbie: Columbia's a terrific school. What are you going to do?

哥伦比亚大学是所很棒的学校。你打算怎么办?

Mike: Do? I don't know. I also applied to NYU.

怎么办?我也不知道。我还申请了纽约大学。

Robbie: You sound excited about Columbia. What's your problem, Mike?

听起来你挺想去哥伦比亚大学的。你到底在纠结(优柔寡断 / 拿不定主意)什么,迈克?

Mike: Indecision. Indecision.  It's not easy, and this is an important decision we have to make. What about you? How was your interview with Michigan?

就是拿不定主意。这可不容易,而且这是个很重要的决定。你呢?你去密歇根大学面试怎么样?

Robbie: The interview was fine.

面试挺顺利的。

Mike: It's a great college.

那可是所很棒的大学。

Robbie: It is.  My father would like me to go there.  He and my Grandpa both went there.

是啊。我爸爸希望我去那儿读书。我爸爸和爷爷都在那里上过学。

Mike: Great medical school, too.

而且医学院也很厉害。

Robbie: I know.

我知道。

Mike: You can follow in your father's footsteps.

你可以走你爸爸那条路啊。

Robbie: Ah! I'd like to follow in my own footsteps, Mike.

啊!迈克,我更想走我自己的路,留下我自己的足迹。

Mike: What do you want to study?

那你想学什么?

Robbie: I've been thinking. I think I want to study journalism to be a reporter--a newspaperman.

我一直在想这件事。我觉得我想学新闻,以后当记者——做报社记者。

Mike: You do a pretty good job on the Riverdale High School paper.

你在里弗代尔高中的校报上干得挺不错的。

Robbie: And I've been thinking about it a lot lately.

而且最近我一直在认真考虑这件事。

Mike: Have you discussed it with your parents?

你跟你父母谈过了吗?

Robbie: No. But I have to.

还没有。不过我得跟他们谈谈。

Mike: OK. Let's talk.

好,那咱们聊聊。

[ They leave. ]


[ That night. Robbie is sitting in the living room of his home. Philip enters. ]

Philip: Hi, Son. Is everything all right?

嗨,儿子,一切都还好吗?

Robbie: Hi, Dad. Everything's fine.  I was just waiting for you to get home so we could talk.

嗨,爸爸。一切都很好。我一直在等你回来,好跟你聊聊。

Philip: Anything special you want to talk about?

有什么特别的事吗?

Robbie: There is, Dad.

有,爸爸。

Philip: I'm listening.

我在听。

Robbie: Well, I know you and Mom have given up a lot to save money for my college tuition.

我知道你和妈妈为了攒我的大学学费,省吃俭用,付出了很多。

Philip: We want you to go to college, Robbie.

我们希望你能上大学,罗比。

Robbie: I know. I do.

我知道。我也想上大学。

Philip: But?

但是?

Robbie: Well, I've thought a lot about which college, and one of them is Columbia.

嗯,我一直在认真考虑该上哪所大学,其中一所就是哥伦比亚大学。

Philip: Columbia? Why Columbia?

哥伦比亚大学?为什么是哥伦比亚?

Robbie: First, they have an excellent School of Journalism.

首先,他们的新闻学院非常优秀。

Philip: They do. And your friends are planning to go to Columbia?

确实不错。那你的朋友们也打算去哥伦比亚大学吗?

Robbie: That's only part of it. It's complicated. I'll try to explain.  Mike and I had a hamburger this afternoon, and we talked.

那只是一部分原因。这事挺复杂的,我尽量解释清楚。今天下午我和迈克一起吃汉堡的时候聊了很多。

Philip: Yes?

然后呢?

Robbie: Well, we talked about a lot of things. He applied to Columbia, and his interview was very successful. He thinks he'll be accepted, and he really wants to go there.

嗯,我们聊了很多。他申请了哥伦比亚大学,而且面试非常顺利。他觉得自己会被录取,而且他真的很想去那里。

Philip: Dean Rafer called me today. He told me he was very impressed with you.

雷弗主任今天给我打电话了。他说他对你的印象非常好。

Robbie: He's a nice man. He was very kind.

他人很好,对我也很亲切。

Philip: He told me you had some doubts about wanting to go to Michigan.

他说你对去密歇根大学这件事还有些犹豫。

Robbie: Yes. I do.  I'm just not sure about what I want to do.

是的。我只是还不确定自己到底想做什么。

Philip: That's OK.

这没关系。

Robbie: You understand?

你能理解吗?

Philip: Let me tell you something, Robbie. Something that might be surprising to you.

让我告诉你一件事,罗比。一件可能会让你意外的事。

Robbie: What? Tell me.

什么事?快告诉我。

Philip: Well, Grandpa wanted me to study engineering, like him. Well, I wasn't clear about my future, but I knew engineering was not for me.

嗯,爷爷以前希望我跟他一样学工程。那时候我对未来也没什么明确想法,但我知道工程并不适合我。

Robbie: What did you tell Grandpa?

那你怎么跟爷爷说的?

Philip: The truth.

我对他说了实话。

Robbie: Then you're not upset about my not wanting to go into medicine.

这么说,你不会因为我不想学医而生气?

Philip: I'm not upset at all.  I'm just happy that we're able to talk about it.

我一点也不生气。我只是很高兴我们能把这件事说开。

Robbie: I am too, Dad.

我也是,爸爸。

Philip: I suppose you want to apply to Columbia.

我想你是想申请哥伦比亚大学吧。

Robbie: Yes, but I also want to apply to several other colleges.

是的,不过我也想再申请几所别的大学。

Philip: I thought you wanted to go to Columbia.

我还以为你已经决定去哥伦比亚大学了。

Robbie: Well, I might want to go to Columbia. But I might not.  I just want to be able to make my own decision.

嗯,我也许会去哥伦比亚大学,也许不会。我只是想自己做决定。

Philip: You're a real Stewart!

你可真是个地地道道的斯图尔特家人!(暗示家族这种独立、有主见的遗传)

Robbie: And if I think about it long enough, you never know ...

而且如果我再多考虑考虑,说不定…

Philip: Never know what?

说不定什么?

Robbie: If I make my own decision, I might choose Michigan.

如果让我自己决定,说不定我最后会选密歇根大学。

Philip: Robbie, you're something! You know, when I was your age, I said exactly the same thing to Grandpa. [ They smile. ]

罗比,你真有出息!你知道吗,我当年对你爷爷也是这么说的。

单词列表

14
Columbia/ kəˈlʌmbiə /n. 哥伦比亚
figure */ ˈfɪɡə(r) /v. 估计
personality/ ˌpɜːsəˈnæləti /n. 性格(人品)
NYU/ en waɪjuː /n. 纽约大学
indecision/ ˌɪndɪˈsɪʒn /n. 优柔寡断
newspaperman/ ˈnjuːzpeɪpəmæn /n. 新闻工作者
lately/ ˈleɪtli /adv. 最近
discuss */ dɪˈskʌs /v. 讨论
tuition/ tjuˈɪʃ(ə)n /n. 学费
complicated/ ˈkɒmplɪkeɪtɪd /adj. 复杂的
accepted */ əkˈseptɪd /v. (被)录取
impressed/ ɪmˈprest /adj. 留下印象的
surprising/ səˈpraɪzɪŋ /v. 使...惊呀
choose */ tʃuːz /v. 选择