Episode 9 It's Up to You ACT I选校风云 第一幕

[ In Robbie Stewart's room one evening. Robbie is working at his computer. He hears a knock at the door. ]

Robbie: Who is it?

是谁?

Philip: Dad.

是爸爸。

Robbie: Come on in, Dad.

请进来,爸爸。

Philip: I thought you might be hungry. I brought you a chicken sandwich and a glass of milk.

我想你大概饿了。我给你带了一份鸡肉三明治和一杯牛奶。

Robbie: I am hungry. Thanks, Dad. What time is it, anyway?

我真是饿了。谢谢,爸爸。现在几点了?

Philip: [ He looks at his watch. ] Ten o'clock. What are you working on?

十点钟。你在干什么?

Robbie: I'm writing a story for the high school paper.

我正在为高中校刊写一篇文章。

Philip: Can't you finish it tomorrow?

你明天完成不行吗?

Robbie: No, I have to turn it in in the morning.

不行,明天上午就要交。

Philip: What's it about?

是关于什么的?

Robbie: I'm writing an article on the feelings about graduation.

我在写一篇关于毕业感受的文章。

Philip: And ... how do you feel?

那…你的感觉怎么样?

Robbie: Me? A little scared. And excited, too.

我吗?有点害怕。也很兴奋。

Philip: I felt the same way.

我当时也有这种感觉。

Robbie: The scary part's leaving home and moving to college.

害怕的是要离开家去上大学。

Philip: Oh, leaving home is part of growing up. Well, don't work all night.

离开家是成长的一部分。好了,别通宵工作。

Robbie: I don't mind. I enjoy writing.

我不在乎。我喜欢写作。

Philip: Well, maybe you should think about becoming a writer.

那么,也许你应该考虑成为一名作家。

Robbie: Maybe I should.

也许我该这样。

Philip: You have lots of time to decide.

你有很多时间做决定。

Robbie: That's the worst part-- making decisions.

最伤脑筋的就是做决定。

Philip: You'll be OK. Good night, Son.

你不会有问题的。晚安,孩子。

Robbie: Good night, Dad.

晚安,爸爸。

[ The next morning. Robbie is eating breakfast in the kitchen. Grandpa and Philip enter. They are singing the University of Michigan song. ]

Grandpa & Philip: "Hail to the victors valiant, Hail to the conquering heroes, Hail, Hail to Michigan, The champions of the West!"

“向英勇的获胜者致敬,向凯旋的英雄们致敬,致敬,向密歇根致敬,西部的冠军!”

Philip: Ah, good morning, Robbie.

啊,早安,罗比。

Robbie: Good morning, Dad.

早安,爸爸。

Grandpa: How's my grandson?

我的孙子怎么样啦?

Robbie: Fine, Grandpa. Fine! What's all the cheering about? Did the University of Michigan win another football game?

很好,爷爷。很好!这么高兴是为什么?是不是密歇根大学又赢了一场足球赛?

Grandpa: Better than that. Tell him, Philip.

比那更值得高兴。告诉他,菲利普。

Philip: I just spoke with Charley Rafer.

我刚和查理·雷弗通了电话。

Robbie: Who's Charley Rafer?

谁是查理·雷弗?

Philip: He's the Dean of Admissions for the University of Michigan.

他是密歇根大学招生办主任。

Grandpa: And it turns out he's a classmate of Philip's.

而且他和菲利普是同班同学。

Philip: We were both on the tennis team.

我们都是网球队的成员。

Robbie: Great!

真棒!

Philip: It is great. He's going to be in New York tomorrow to interview applicants for admission.

的确太好了。他明天会在纽约面试申请入学的学生。

Grandpa: And he's agreed to fit you into his schedule.

他已经同意在百忙之中抽时间见见你。

Robbie: But I may not want to go to Michigan.

但是我可能不想去密歇根。

Philip: It's one of the best schools in the country, Robbie. I studied medicine there. Your grandfather went to the Engineering School there.

这是全国最好的大学之一,罗比。我在那里学的医学。你爷爷在那里读的工学院。

Robbie: I know that, but ...

这我知道,但是…

Grandpa: You said you wanted to be a doctor like your father.

你说过你希望像爸爸一样成为一名医生。

Robbie: Not exactly.

那倒也不尽然。

Grandpa: You couldn't pick a finer medical school than Michigan.

你再也找不到比密歇根更好的医学院了。

Robbie: Yes, I know that.

是的,我知道。

Philip: Let's meet with Charley at the university club. Ten o'clock tomorrow morning. It doesn't mean you're going to Michigan.

我们就去大学俱乐部见查理吧。明天早上十点钟。这并不意味着你就要上密歇根大学。

Grandpa: It doesn't mean you have to be a doctor. But the interview will be good experience for you.

也不意味着你一定要当医生。但这次面试对你来说是一次很好的经历。

Robbie: In that case, it's OK.

这么说,我就去。

Robbie: [ To Philip ] Dad, growing up means making my own decisions, doesn't it?

爸爸,长大了就意味着我自己能做决定了,对吧?

Philip: You're right, Robbie. But, like your Grandpa suggested, have the interview.

你说得对,罗比。但是,照你爷爷建议的,去参加这次面试。

Grandpa: And then make your own decision.

然后你自己做决定。

Robbie: That sounds fine.

这样听起来不错。

Philip: I know it's sudden, Robbie, but this is an important opportunity. We'll head down there first thing tomorrow morning. OK?

我知道这件事很突然,罗比,但这是一次很重要的机会。明天早上第一件事就是去那里。好吗?

Robbie: Sure, Dad.

好的,爸爸。

Philip: I want you to know something, Son.  I'm ... very proud of you.

我希望你知道一件事,孩子。我… 为你感到骄傲。

Robbie: Thanks, Dad.

谢谢你,爸爸。

Philip: Well, I've got an appointment at the hospital. I'll see you all at dinnertime.

好了,我在医院有个预约。晚饭时见。

Robbie: Bye, Dad.

再见,爸爸。

[ Philip leaves. ]

Grandpa: Is something still wrong, Robbie?

还有什么不对劲吗,罗比?

Robbie: I'll be OK.

我能应付。

Robbie: Going away to college for the first time always makes one a little nervous.

第一次离家上大学总是让人有些紧张。

Robbie: I guess so. I'll be OK. I just need time to think.

我想是这样。我会适应的。我只是需要时间思考。
25个相关单词

与课文关联的单词

the school paper

/ðə skuːl ˈpeɪpə(r)/n. 校报;校刊

turn in

/tə:n in/v. 上交、交给...

article *

/ˈɑːtɪk(ə)l/n. 文章

scared

/skeəd/adj. 害怕的

scary

/ˈskeəri/adj. 害怕的

growing up

/ˈɡrəʊɪŋ ʌp/n. 长大

enjoy *

/ɪnˈdʒɔɪ/v. 喜欢;喜爱

becoming

/bɪˈkʌmɪŋ/n. 成为

writer

/ˈraɪtə(r)/n. 作家

part *

/pɑːt/n. 部分

hail

/heɪl/v. 赞扬,欢呼

victor

/ˈvɪktə(r)/n. 胜者

conquering

/ˈkɔŋkərɪŋ/adj. 凯旋的

cheering

/ˈtʃɪərɪŋ/n. 喝彩

dean

/diːn/n. 系主任

admission

/ədˈmɪʃ(ə)n/n. 录取

classmate

/ˈklɑːsmeɪt/n. 同学

turn out

/tɜːn aʊt/v. 结果是, 被发现是

tennis

/ˈtenɪs/n. 网球

team *

/tiːm/n. 队

interview *

/ˈɪntəvjuː/v. 面试

applicant

/ˈæplɪkənt/n. 申请人

agree *

/əˈɡriː/v. 同意

dinnertime

/ˈdɪnətaɪm/n. 晚餐开始的时间

guess *

/ɡes/v. 觉得
笔记更新中
当您看到了此提示,说明本课笔记还在正在努力更新中...
秉烛夜谈 更新于:2026-05-07 04:46:51

Come on in, Dad.进来吧,爸。

Come on in 进来吧

  • Come on in, the door is open! 快进来,门没锁!
  • Please come on in and take a seat. 请进,随便坐。
  • Why are you standing at the door? Come on in. 你怎么站门口啊?快进来。
Step inside 进来(稍微正式)Please step inside for a moment. 请进屋坐会儿。
Make yourself at home 别客气,当自己家Come in and make yourself at home. 进来吧,别拘束。

I thought you might be hungry.我琢磨着你可能饿了。

might be 可能是 / 也许是

  • It might be too late to call her now. 现在给她打电话可能太晚了。
  • You might be right about the weather. 关于天气的看法,你可能是对的。
  • This might be our only chance. 这也许是我们唯一的机会。

What time is it, anyway?话说,现在都几点啦?

anyway (用于改变话题或回到原话题)话说 / 反正

  • What were we talking about, anyway? 话说,咱们刚才聊到哪儿了?
  • It's too expensive, and I don't like the color anyway. 这太贵了,反正我也不喜欢这颜色。
  • Anyway, I must be going now. 总之,我现在得走了。

What are you working on?你在忙活什么呢?

work on 致力于 / 忙于 / 解决

  • He's working on a new book. 他正在忙着写一本新书。
  • I need to work on my pronunciation. 我得在发音上多下点功夫。
  • We are working on fixing the bug. 我们正在努力修复这个漏洞。
Be busy with 忙于...She is busy with her homework. 她正忙着写作业呢。
Get down to 开始认真做...Let's get down to business. 咱们开始谈正事吧。

I have to turn it in in the morning.我明儿一早就得交。

turn in 上交(作业、报告等)

  • Remember to turn in your essay by Friday. 记得周五前把论文交了。
  • I turned in my resignation yesterday. 我昨天递交了辞职报告。
  • He turned in the lost wallet to the police. 他把捡到的钱包交给了警察。

I felt the same way.我也深有同感。

the same way 同样地 / 同样的感觉

  • I hope you feel the same way about me. 我希望你对我也抱有同样的感觉。
  • She looks at life the same way I do. 她看待人生的态度和我一样。
  • I've always felt the same way. 我一直都是这么想的。
I feel you 我懂你 / 我理解你A: "I'm so stressed." B: "I feel you." A: “我压力好大。” B: “我懂你。”
Ditto 同上 / 我也一样"I'm exhausted." "Ditto." “我累瘫了。” “我也是。”

The scary part's leaving home and moving to college.最让人发愁的就是离家去上大学。

move to 搬到... / 迁往...

  • My family is moving to New York next month. 我们家下个月要搬去纽约。
  • When did you move to this neighborhood? 你什么时候搬到这片社区的?
  • He moved to college last summer. 他去年夏天搬去大学住了。

Leaving home is part of growing up.离家自立是成长的必经之路。

growing up 成长 / 成年

  • What do you want to be when you grow up? 你长大后想做什么?
  • I grew up in a small town. 我在一个小城镇长大。
  • He needs to grow up and take responsibility. 他得成熟点,承担起责任来。

I don't mind. I enjoy writing.我不介意,我挺喜欢写作的。

don't mind 不介意

  • I don't mind waiting for a few minutes. 我不介意等几分钟。
  • Would you mind closing the window? 你介意关一下窗户吗?
  • I don't mind the noise; I can sleep anywhere. 我不介意噪音,我在哪儿都能睡着。

Well, maybe you should think about becoming a writer.那或许你该考虑当个作家。

think about 考虑 / 思考

  • I need some time to think about your offer. 我需要点时间考虑一下你的提议。
  • Have you ever thought about moving abroad? 你有没想过移居国外?
  • Don't think about the past too much. 不要太沉溺于过去。
Consider 考虑(更正式)Please consider my application. 请考虑我的申请。
Sleep on it 考虑一晚(再做决定)Don't decide now; sleep on it. 别现在定,回去考虑一晚再说。

That's the worst part— making decisions.这就是最烦人的地方——做决定。

making decisions 做决定

  • It's hard making decisions under pressure. 在压力之下很难做出决定。
  • Who is responsible for making the final decision? 谁负责做最终决定?
  • You are good at making decisions quickly. 你擅长迅速做出决断。
成长的烦恼 更新于:2026-05-07 04:47:41

What's all the cheering about?你们在这儿瞎起劲什么呢?

What's ... about? ……是怎么回事?/ 到底在闹哪样?

  • What's all the noise about upstairs? 楼上吵吵闹闹的到底是怎么回事?
  • I don't even know what the argument was about. 我甚至都不知道他们刚才在吵什么。
  • What's this book about? 这本书讲的是什么?
What's going on? 发生什么了?What's going on here? Why is everyone crying? 这儿出啥事了?怎么大家都在哭?

It turns out he's a classmate of Philip's.结果发现,他竟然是菲利普的同学。

turn out 结果发现 / 原来是

  • It turns out that we went to the same high school. 结果发现,我们竟然上的是同一所高中。
  • The job turned out to be much harder than I expected. 这份工作结果比我想象中要难得多。
  • I thought it would rain, but it turned out to be a sunny day. 我以为会下雨,结果却是个大晴天。

He's agreed to fit you into his schedule.他已经答应把你排进他的日程表里(见一面)。

fit someone into one's schedule 抽时间见某人 / 挤进日程

  • The doctor is very busy, but she can fit you into her schedule at 3 PM. 医生很忙,但她能在下午三点抽空见你。
  • Can you fit me into your schedule for a quick meeting? 你能从日程里挤点时间跟我开个短会吗?
  • I'm fully booked, but I'll try to fit you in. 我约满了,但我尽量给你挤个时间出来。

In that case, it's OK.既然那样的话,那就行吧。

In that case 既然那样的话 / 既然如此

  • Are you sick? In that case, you should stay in bed. 你病了?既然这样,那你应该卧床休息。
  • No one wants to go? In that case, I'll go by myself. 没人想去?那既然如此,我就自己去。
  • In that case, we'll have to cancel the meeting. 既然那样,我们只能取消会议了。
If so 如果是这样的话Is it raining? If so, bring an umbrella. 下雨了吗?如果是的话,带把伞。

Growing up means making my own decisions, doesn't it?长大就意味着要自己做决定了,不是吗?

make one's own decision 自己拿主意 / 自行决定

  • You're an adult now, you have to make your own decisions. 你已经是成年人了,得自己拿主意。
  • Stop asking me; make your own decision for once! 别再问我了,你就自己定一回吧!
  • I'll let you make your own decision about which car to buy. 买哪辆车,我让你自己决定。

We'll head down there first thing tomorrow morning.我们明儿一早就动身去那儿。

first thing 一大早 / 第一件事

  • I'll call you first thing tomorrow morning. 我明儿个一大早就给你打电话。
  • Check your email first thing when you get to the office. 到办公室后的第一件事就是查邮件。
  • I need this report first thing Monday. 周一上班头一件事我就要看到这份报告。
Head down 朝……去 / 动身Let's head down to the beach after lunch. 咱们午饭后去海滩吧。
Head out 出发What time are we heading out? 咱们几点出发?

Going away to college always makes one a little nervous.第一次离家上大学总会让人有点紧张。

make one + adj. 让某人感到……

  • Public speaking makes me very nervous. 当众演讲让我非常紧张。
  • This movie always makes her cry. 这部电影总能让她哭出来。
  • Loud music makes me angry. 大声的音乐让我很心烦。
Get nervous 变得紧张I always get nervous before an exam. 考试前我总是会变得很紧张。