Episode 9 It's Up to You ACT I

选校风云 第一幕

[ In Robbie Stewart's room one evening. Robbie is working at his computer. He hears a knock at the door. ]

Robbie: Who is it?

是谁?

Philip: Dad.

是爸爸。

Robbie: Come on in, Dad.

请进来,爸爸。

Philip: I thought you might be hungry. I brought you a chicken sandwich and a glass of milk.

我想你大概饿了。我给你带了一份鸡肉三明治和一杯牛奶。

Robbie: I am hungry. Thanks, Dad. What time is it, anyway?

我真是饿了。谢谢,爸爸。现在几点了?

Philip: [ He looks at his watch. ] Ten o'clock. What are you working on?

十点钟。你在干什么?

Robbie: I'm writing a story for the high school paper.

我正在为高中校刊写一篇文章。

Philip: Can't you finish it tomorrow?

你明天完成不行吗?

Robbie: No, I have to turn it in in the morning.

不行,明天上午就要交。

Philip: What's it about?

是关于什么的?

Robbie: I'm writing an article on the feelings about graduation.

我在写一篇关于毕业感受的文章。

Philip: And ... how do you feel?

那…你的感觉怎么样?

Robbie: Me? A little scared. And excited, too.

我吗?有点害怕。也很兴奋。

Philip: I felt the same way.

我当时也有这种感觉。

Robbie: The scary part's leaving home and moving to college.

害怕的是要离开家去上大学。

Philip: Oh, leaving home is part of growing up. Well, don't work all night.

离开家是成长的一部分。好了,别通宵工作。

Robbie: I don't mind. I enjoy writing.

我不在乎。我喜欢写作。

Philip: Well, maybe you should think about becoming a writer.

那么,也许你应该考虑成为一名作家。

Robbie: Maybe I should.

也许我该这样。

Philip: You have lots of time to decide.

你有很多时间做决定。

Robbie: That's the worst part-- making decisions.

最伤脑筋的就是做决定。

Philip: You'll be OK. Good night, Son.

你不会有问题的。晚安,孩子。

Robbie: Good night, Dad.

晚安,爸爸。

[ The next morning. Robbie is eating breakfast in the kitchen. Grandpa and Philip enter. They are singing the University of Michigan song. ]

Grandpa & Philip: "Hail to the victors valiant, Hail to the conquering heroes, Hail, Hail to Michigan, The champions of the West!"

“向英勇的获胜者致敬,向凯旋的英雄们致敬,致敬,向密歇根致敬,西部的冠军!”

Philip: Ah, good morning, Robbie.

啊,早安,罗比。

Robbie: Good morning, Dad.

早安,爸爸。

Grandpa: How's my grandson?

我的孙子怎么样啦?

Robbie: Fine, Grandpa. Fine! What's all the cheering about? Did the University of Michigan win another football game?

很好,爷爷。很好!这么高兴是为什么?是不是密歇根大学又赢了一场足球赛?

Grandpa: Better than that. Tell him, Philip.

比那更值得高兴。告诉他,菲利普。

Philip: I just spoke with Charley Rafer.

我刚和查理·雷弗通了电话。

Robbie: Who's Charley Rafer?

谁是查理·雷弗?

Philip: He's the Dean of Admissions for the University of Michigan.

他是密歇根大学招生办主任。

Grandpa: And it turns out he's a classmate of Philip's.

而且他和菲利普是同班同学。

Philip: We were both on the tennis team.

我们都是网球队的成员。

Robbie: Great!

真棒!

Philip: It is great. He's going to be in New York tomorrow to interview applicants for admission.

的确太好了。他明天会在纽约面试申请入学的学生。

Grandpa: And he's agreed to fit you into his schedule.

他已经同意在百忙之中抽时间见见你。

Robbie: But I may not want to go to Michigan.

但是我可能不想去密歇根。

Philip: It's one of the best schools in the country, Robbie. I studied medicine there. Your grandfather went to the Engineering School there.

这是全国最好的大学之一,罗比。我在那里学的医学。你爷爷在那里读的工学院。

Robbie: I know that, but ...

这我知道,但是…

Grandpa: You said you wanted to be a doctor like your father.

你说过你希望像爸爸一样成为一名医生。

Robbie: Not exactly.

那倒也不尽然。

Grandpa: You couldn't pick a finer medical school than Michigan.

你再也找不到比密歇根更好的医学院了。

Robbie: Yes, I know that.

是的,我知道。

Philip: Let's meet with Charley at the university club. Ten o'clock tomorrow morning. It doesn't mean you're going to Michigan.

我们就去大学俱乐部见查理吧。明天早上十点钟。这并不意味着你就要上密歇根大学。

Grandpa: It doesn't mean you have to be a doctor. But the interview will be good experience for you.

也不意味着你一定要当医生。但这次面试对你来说是一次很好的经历。

Robbie: In that case, it's OK.

这么说,我就去。

Robbie: [ To Philip ] Dad, growing up means making my own decisions, doesn't it?

爸爸,长大了就意味着我自己能做决定了,对吧?

Philip: You're right, Robbie. But, like your Grandpa suggested, have the interview.

你说得对,罗比。但是,照你爷爷建议的,去参加这次面试。

Grandpa: And then make your own decision.

然后你自己做决定。

Robbie: That sounds fine.

这样听起来不错。

Philip: I know it's sudden, Robbie, but this is an important opportunity. We'll head down there first thing tomorrow morning. OK?

我知道这件事很突然,罗比,但这是一次很重要的机会。明天早上第一件事就是去那里。好吗?

Robbie: Sure, Dad.

好的,爸爸。

Philip: I want you to know something, Son.  I'm ... very proud of you.

我希望你知道一件事,孩子。我… 为你感到骄傲。

Robbie: Thanks, Dad.

谢谢你,爸爸。

Philip: Well, I've got an appointment at the hospital. I'll see you all at dinnertime.

好了,我在医院有个预约。晚饭时见。

Robbie: Bye, Dad.

再见,爸爸。

[ Philip leaves. ]

Grandpa: Is something still wrong, Robbie?

还有什么不对劲吗,罗比?

Robbie: I'll be OK.

我能应付。

Grandpa: Going away to college for the first time always makes one a little nervous.

第一次离家上大学总是让人有些紧张。

Robbie: I guess so. I'll be OK. I just need time to think.

我想是这样。我会适应的。我只是需要时间思考。

本课重点词汇

25 个相关单词

the school paper

/ ðə skuːl ˈpeɪpə(r) / n. 校报;校刊

turn in

/ tə:n in / v. 上交、交给...

article *

/ ˈɑːtɪk(ə)l / n. 文章

scared

/ skeəd / adj. 害怕的

scary

/ ˈskeəri / adj. 害怕的

growing up

/ ˈɡrəʊɪŋ ʌp / n. 长大

enjoy *

/ ɪnˈdʒɔɪ / v. 喜欢;喜爱

becoming

/ bɪˈkʌmɪŋ / n. 成为

writer

/ ˈraɪtə(r) / n. 作家

part *

/ pɑːt / n. 部分

hail

/ heɪl / v. 赞扬,欢呼

victor

/ ˈvɪktə(r) / n. 胜者

conquering

/ ˈkɔŋkərɪŋ / adj. 凯旋的

cheering

/ ˈtʃɪərɪŋ / n. 喝彩

dean

/ diːn / n. 系主任

admission

/ ədˈmɪʃ(ə)n / n. 录取

classmate

/ ˈklɑːsmeɪt / n. 同学

turn out

/ tɜːn aʊt / v. 结果是, 被发现是

tennis

/ ˈtenɪs / n. 网球

team *

/ tiːm / n.

interview *

/ ˈɪntəvjuː / v. 面试

applicant

/ ˈæplɪkənt / n. 申请人

agree *

/ əˈɡriː / v. 同意

dinnertime

/ ˈdɪnətaɪm / n. 晚餐开始的时间

guess *

/ ɡes / v. 觉得