Episode 8 You're Going to Be Fine ACT I早日康复 第一幕

[ Outside Lawrence Hospital one morning. Inside, Dr. Philip Stewart and his nurse, Molly Baker, are working in Dr. Stewart's office. ]

Philip: Molly, I need your special talent for handling special matters.

莫莉,我需要你那套处理棘手事情的本事。

Molly: Like what special matters?

什么样的棘手事?

Philip: Well, I have a scheduling problem.

嗯,我这边排班出了点问题。

Molly: Yes?

怎么了?

Philip: I have three tonsillectomies set for Friday with Dr. Earl.

我已经安排了这周五和厄尔医生合作三台扁桃体切除手术。

Molly: Yes?

然后呢?

Philip: I need to fit a fourth operation into his schedule. And ... I know you can do it.

我需要把第四台手术插进他的排程里… 我知道你能搞定。

Molly: Who's the patient?

病人是谁?

Philip: Carl Herrera. The boy has infected tonsils, and we should remove them as soon as possible.

卡尔·赫雷拉。这孩子扁桃体发炎了,得尽快切除。

Molly: Well, I'll try to arrange the schedule, Dr. Stewart. But it's not going to be easy.

好吧,斯图尔特医生,我尽量去安排,不过不太容易。

Philip: I know you'll be able to take care of it.

我知道你能处理好。

[ Molly shakes her head and laughs. ]


[ Inside Dr. Stewart's office later that day. Philip is talking to a mother, Mrs. Herrera, and her ten-year-old son Carl. ]

Philip: [ He looks at Carl's medical chart. ] Well, Mrs. Herrera, Carl will be perfectly fine after we remove his tonsils.

赫雷拉太太,等切除扁桃体后,卡尔很快就会完全康复的。

Mrs. Herrera: Thank you for your reassurance, Dr. Stewart. He's had so many colds and sore throats recently.

谢谢你让人放心,斯图尔特医生。他最近老是感冒、喉咙痛。

Philip: Well, it's a very easy operation, Carl. You won't feel a thing.

这是个很简单的手术,卡尔。你不会感觉到疼的。

Carl: But when do they do it?

那什么时候做手术?

Philip: This Friday.

这周五。

Carl: But Saturday's my birthday.

可周六是我生日。

Philip: [ He looks at his appointment book. ] Well, we could reschedule the operation, Mrs. Herrera, but I don't want to put it off too long.

我们也可以改时间,赫雷拉太太,不过我不想拖太久。

Mrs. Herrera: No, I think it's important to do it now. We can have a birthday party for you, Carl, when you come out of the hospital.

不,我觉得现在做比较重要。等你出院了再给你办生日派对,卡尔。

Carl: But it won't be on my birthday.

但就不是我生日那天了。

Mrs. Herrera: But your health is more important, Carl. Believe me.

可是身体更重要,卡尔,相信我。

Carl: I don't want my tonsils out.

我不想做扁桃体手术。

Philip: [ He buzzes molly on the intercom. ] Nurse Baker, would you come in, please?

贝克护士,请进来一下,好吗?

Molly: [ She enters. ] Hello, Mrs. Herrera. Hi, Carl, how you doing?

你好,赫雷拉太太。嗨,卡尔,感觉怎么样?

Carl: I don't want my tonsils out.

我不想做扁桃体手术。

Molly: Come with me, Carl. You and I will talk this over. [ She leaves the room with Carl. ]

跟我来,卡尔,我们单独聊一聊。

Mrs. Herrera: She has a special way with kids.

她特别会跟孩子打交道。

Philip: She sure does.

确实是。

[ In an area of the hospital. Carl is sitting on a sofa. He is unhappy. Molly enters and tries to make him feel better. She is carrying a robe and pajamas for him. ]

Molly: Carl, does your throat hurt?

卡尔,喉咙疼吗?

Carl: Yes.

疼。

Molly: OK. Do you want to get better?

好,那你想不想快点好起来?

Carl: Yes.

想。

Molly: OK. We want you to get better, too. You'll have your tonsils out tomorrow, and you won't get so many colds anymore.

我们也希望你快点好起来。明天做完手术后,你就不会老是感冒了。

Carl: But if I have my tonsils out tomorrow, I'll miss my birthday party on Saturday.

可要是明天手术,我就赶不上周六的生日派对了。

Molly: I know. It's a problem, isn't it? Let me try to work something out.

我知道,这是个问题,对吧?让我想想办法。

Carl: What?

什么办法?

Molly: I have to think about it.

我得想一想。

Carl: You're fooling me.

你在骗我吧。

Molly: Oh, I'm not, Carl. Give me a chance to think about it, and I'll come up with something.

没有骗你,卡尔。给我点时间想想,我一定会想出一个好主意。

Carl: A surprise?

是惊喜吗?

Molly: Maybe. But you just put on your pajamas and robe, and I'll think of a surprise.

也许吧。你先把睡衣和外袍穿上,我来想个惊喜。

Carl: Will it hurt?

会疼吗?

Molly: No. There are other boys and girls here, and they're having their tonsils out. You'll meet them.

不会的。这里还有其他小朋友也要做手术,你会见到他们的。

Carl: I don't want to.

我不想见。

Molly: Change your clothes, Carl. Everything will be just fine.

先把衣服换了,卡尔,一切都会没事的。
16个相关单词

与课文关联的单词

talent *

/ˈtælənt/n. 天赋

handling

/ˈhændlɪŋ/n. 处理

schedule *

/ˈʃedjuːl/v. 安排

tonsillectomy

/ˌtɒnsəˈlektəmi/n. 扁桃腺切除手术

set *

/set/v. 安排

fit *

/fɪt/v. 可容纳

infected

/ɪnˈfektɪd/v. 被感染

tonsil

/ˈtɒnsl/n. 扁桃腺;扁桃体

arrange *

/əˈreɪndʒ/v. 安排

chart

/tʃɑːt/n. 图表;记录

perfectly

/ˈpɜːfɪktli/adv. 完全地

reassurance

/ˌriːəˈʃʊərəns; ˌriːəˈʃɔːrəns/n. 宽慰

reschedule

/ˌriːˈʃedjuːl/v. 重新安排

fooling

/ˈfuːlɪŋ/v. 愚弄;欺骗

pajamas

/pəˈdʒɑːməz/n. 宽松衣物

robe

/rəʊb/n. 长袍
笔记更新中
当您看到了此提示,说明本课笔记还在正在努力更新中...
安排日程 更新于:2026-05-02 03:54:20

Molly, I need your special talent for handling special matters.莫莉,我需要你那处理特殊事务的过人本事。

handling 处理 / 应付

  • She is very good at handling difficult customers. 她非常擅长应付难缠的顾客。
  • How are you handling the stress of your new job? 你如何应对新工作的压力?
  • Leave it to me; I'll handle everything. 交给我吧,我会处理好一切的。
Deal with 处理 / 应对We need to deal with this problem immediately. 我们需要立即处理这个问题。
Take care of 解决 / 照料Don't worry, I'll take care of the bill. 别担心,账单我来搞定。

I have three tonsillectomies set for Friday.我有三台扁桃体切除手术定在了周五。

set for 定在(某时/某地)

  • The meeting is set for 10:00 AM tomorrow. 会议定在明天上午10点。
  • The release date of the movie is set for next summer. 这部电影的上映日期定在明年夏天。
  • Everything is set for the big party tonight. 今晚盛大派对的一切都准备就绪了。

I need to fit a fourth operation into his schedule.我得在他的日程里再塞进第四台手术。

fit into 挤进 / 安排进 / 融入

  • I think I can fit you into my schedule at 3 PM. 我想我可以在下午3点把你挤进我的日程。
  • It's hard to fit all this furniture into a small room. 很难把所有家具都塞进这么小的房间里。
  • He doesn't seem to fit into the new team. 他似乎融入不了这个新团队。
Squeeze in 强行挤进Can you squeeze in a quick meeting before lunch? 午饭前你能挤时间开个短会吗?
Work someone in 抽空接见某人The dentist managed to work me in this morning. 牙医今天早上设法抽空给我看了牙。

I know you can do it.我知道你肯定能办成。

I know you can... 我知道你能...(表达信任或鼓励)

  • Go for it! I know you can win the competition. 去吧!我知道你肯定能赢。
  • Don't be nervous; I know you can handle this presentation. 别紧张,我知道你能行。
  • I know you can find a better solution. 我知道你能找到更好的解决方案。

We should remove them as soon as possible.我们应该尽快把它们切除。

as soon as possible 尽快(口语常缩写为 ASAP)

  • Please call me back as soon as possible. 请尽快给我回电话。
  • I need this report finished as soon as possible. 我需要尽快完成这份报告。
  • We will ship your order as soon as possible. 我们会尽快发出您的订单。
At your earliest convenience 在您方便时尽早(商务用语)Please reply at your earliest convenience. 请在您方便时尽早回复。
Without delay 事不宜迟Action must be taken without delay. 必须立即采取行动。

It's not going to be easy.这事儿办起来可不容易。

be going to 打算 / 即将(表预测或意图)

  • It is going to rain tonight; look at those clouds. 今晚要下雨了,看那些云。
  • I am going to start my own business next year. 我打算明年自己创业。
  • This is not going to end well. 这事儿最后恐怕收不了场。

I know you'll be able to take care of it.我知道你准能处理好。

be able to 能够(侧重经过努力或具备条件)

  • Will you be able to finish the work by Friday? 你周五前能把活儿干完吗?
  • I haven't been able to sleep well lately. 我最近一直睡不好觉。
  • She is able to speak three languages fluently. 她能流利地说三种语言。

take care of 处理 / 搞定 / 照顾

  • Don't worry about the tickets; I'll take care of it. 票的事儿别担心,我来搞定。
  • Can you take care of the dog while we're away? 我们不在家的时候你能帮着照看下狗吗?
  • She took care of all the arrangements for the trip. 她安排好了旅行的所有事宜。
沟通协调 更新于:2026-05-02 03:55:15

Carl will be perfectly fine after we remove his tonsils.切掉扁桃体后,卡尔就会完全康复的。

perfectly fine 完全没问题 / 挺好的

  • "How's the steak?" "It's perfectly fine, thank you." “牛排怎么样?”“挺好的,谢谢。”
  • Don't worry about the car; it's perfectly fine now. 别担心那车了,现在一点儿毛补都没有。
  • If you want to stay here, that's perfectly fine with me. 如果你想待在这儿,我完全没意见。
A-OK 极好的 / 没问题的Everything is A-OK for the launch. 发射的一切准备工作都妥妥的。
As fit as a fiddle 非常健康My grandfather is 80, but he's as fit as a fiddle. 我爷爷80岁了,但身体依然硬朗得很。

You won't feel a thing.你一点儿感觉都不会有的。

not feel a thing 没有任何感觉 / 没察觉

  • The dentist gave me a shot, and I did not feel a thing. 牙医给我打了一针,我真的啥感觉也没有。
  • He slept so soundly that he did not feel a thing during the storm. 他睡得太死,暴风雨半夜刮成那样他都没察觉。
  • Close your eyes, you won't feel a thing. 闭上眼,一点儿都不疼。

I don't want to put it off too long.我不想把这事儿拖太久。

put off 推迟 / 延期

  • Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. 今日事今日毕。(不要把今天能做的事拖到明天。)
  • We had to put off the wedding due to the rain. 因为下雨,我们不得不推迟婚礼。
  • Stop putting off your homework! 别再磨蹭不做作业了!
Postpone 推迟(正式)The meeting has been postponed to next Monday. 会议已推迟到下周一。
Procrastinate 拖延(侧重习惯性)I tend to procrastinate when I have a big project. 一碰到大项目,我就容易犯拖延症。

Believe me.相信我。/ 真的。

Believe me 相信我 / 的确如此(用于强调真实性)

  • Believe me, he's telling the truth. 相信我,他没撒谎。
  • It's a tough job, believe me. 相信我,这活儿真不好干。
  • Believe me, you don't want to go there alone. 听我的,你肯定不想一个人去那儿。

Nurse Baker, would you come in, please?贝克护士,请进来一下好吗?

come in 进来

  • Please come in and have a seat. 请进,随便坐。
  • The boss asked me to come in for a meeting. 老板叫我进去开个会。
  • May I come in? 我可以进来吗?

You and I will talk this over.咱俩再好好商量商量这件事。

talk over 详细讨论 / 商量

  • We need to talk over the details of the contract. 我们需要仔细商量一下合同细节。
  • I'll talk it over with my wife before I decide. 我决定前得先跟我太太商量商量。
  • They talked over the problem for hours. 他们把那个问题讨论了好几个小时。
Discuss 讨论(中性)Let's discuss this at the next meeting. 咱们下次开会讨论这个。
Go over 仔细检查/讨论We should go over the plan one more time. 咱们该把计划再过一遍。

She has a special way with kids.她在对付孩子方面真有一套。

have a way with 在某方面有本事 / 对...很有一套

  • My uncle has a way with horses. 我叔叔驯马真有一套。
  • She has a way with words; she should be a writer. 她很有文采(善于辞令),该去当个作家。
  • He really has a way with elderly people. 他跟老人相处特别有一套。

She sure does.她确实挺有一套的。

sure does/is (口语强调)确实是 / 的确如此

  • "It's hot today." "It sure is!" “今天真热。”“谁说不是呢!”
  • "He works hard." "He sure does." “他干活真拼。”“确实够拼的。”
  • "She looks happy." "She sure does." “她看起来挺开心的。”“确实。”
宽慰与劝说 更新于:2026-05-02 03:56:03

Carl, does your throat hurt?卡尔,你嗓子疼吗?

hurt 疼 / 受伤 / 伤害

  • My feet hurt after walking all day. 走了一整天路,我脚疼。
  • Be careful with that knife, you might hurt yourself. 用那把刀小心点,别伤着自己。
  • It hurts to see him so sad. 看到他这么难过,我心里也不好受。
Ache 持续的隐痛My back aches from sitting too long. 坐太久了,我腰酸背痛。
Sore (肌肉或发炎引起的)疼痛I have a sore throat. 我嗓子发炎疼。

Do you want to get better?你想康复吗?

get better 康复 / 变好

  • I hope you get better soon. 希望你早日康复。
  • Your English is getting better every day. 你的英语进步越来越快。
  • The weather is getting better now. 现在天气好转了。

You'll have your tonsils out tomorrow.你明天就要切除扁桃体了。

have something out 切除/拔掉(身体部位)

  • I need to have a wisdom tooth out. 我得去拔一颗智齿。
  • She had her appendix out last year. 她去年做了阑尾切除手术。
  • He's going to have that mole out. 他打算把那颗痣点了(切了)。
Remove 移除 / 切除(更正式)The doctor removed the bandage. 医生拆掉了绷带。
Get rid of 去掉 / 摆脱I can't get rid of this cold. 这感冒老是不好。

Let me try to work something out.让我试着想个办法。

work out 解决 / 算出 / 健身

  • Don't worry, we'll work it out. 别担心,我们会解决这件事的。
  • I'm trying to work out how much I owe you. 我正试着算出欠你多少钱。
  • He works out at the gym every morning. 他每天早上都在健身房锻炼。

You're fooling me.你在耍我(哄我)呢。

fool someone 耍某人 / 欺骗某人

  • You can't fool me with that trick! 你这小把戏骗不了我!
  • He fooled everyone into believing he was rich. 他把大家都耍了,让人以为他很有钱。
  • I was just fooling around. 我刚才只是瞎闹呢。
Kid 开玩笑 / 戏弄Are you kidding me? 你在跟我开玩笑吗?
Trick 欺骗 / 耍花招She tricked him into signing the paper. 她诱骗他在文件上签了字。

I'll come up with something.我会想出个主意的。

come up with 想出(主意/答案/钱等)

  • How did you come up with such a brilliant idea? 你怎么想出这么个绝妙主意的?
  • We need to come up with a name for the baby. 我们要给宝宝想个名字。
  • He came up with a great excuse for being late. 他想了个绝佳的迟到借口。

Give me a chance to think about it.给我点时间考虑一下。

give someone a chance 给某人机会

  • Please give me a chance to explain. 请给我个机会解释一下。
  • Everyone deserves a second chance. 每个人都值得再有一次机会。
  • Just give it a chance; you might like it. 就试一下吧,没准你会喜欢的。

But you just put on your pajamas and robe.你只要穿上睡衣和睡袍就行。

put on 穿上 / 戴上

  • Put on your coat; it's cold outside. 把外套穿上,外面冷。
  • She put on her glasses to read the letter. 她戴上眼镜看信。
  • Wait, I need to put on some makeup. 等等,我得化个妆。
Wear 穿着 / 戴着(状态)She is wearing a red dress. 她穿着一件红裙子。
Try on 试穿Can I try this on? 我可以试穿一下这个吗?

Everything will be just fine.一切都会没事的。

just fine 没问题 / 挺好

  • Don't worry, the car is running just fine. 别担心,车跑得顺溜着呢。
  • I can hear you just fine. 我听得挺清楚的。
  • If you want to go alone, that's just fine. 你要是想一个人去也行。