Episode 7 Man's Best Friend ACT III人类最好的朋友 第三幕

[ At the animal shelter later that day. Robbie and Alexandra are still talking with Linda Aborn. ]

Linda: OK. If you want to adopt an animal, first we need to know some references.

好。如果你们想领养动物,首先需要提供一些推荐人。

Alexandra: References? People we know? 

推荐人?就是我们认识的人吗? 

Linda: Friends, teachers....We need to talk to some people about you. We want to be sure that you're responsible and that you can take good care of an animal.

朋友、老师……我们需要向一些人了解你们的情况,确保你们有责任心,也能好好照顾动物。

Linda: Then you have to fill out this form about your family background.

然后你们还要填写一份家庭情况的表格。

Robbie: Is that it?

就这些吗?

Linda: No, there's more. We need to know about your history with animals. Have you ever owned an animal?

不,还有。我们还需要了解你以前养动物的经历。你以前养过宠物吗?

Robbie: Yes. We had a cat when I was eight years old. I love cats.

有。我八岁的时候养过一只猫。我很喜欢猫。

Linda: Do you have any animals now?

那你现在有养宠物吗?

Robbie: Unfortunately, no.

很遗憾,没有。

Alexandra: Anything else?

还有其它吗?

Linda: We also like to know your reasons for wanting an animal.

我们还想了解你想养动物的原因。

Alexandra: Just to hold it and cuddle with it. Just to have as a pet. I love animals. 

就是想抱抱它、和它亲近一下,当作宠物养。我很喜欢动物。

Robbie:  To have a friend -- a pal. You know, man's best friend is his dog.

想有个朋友,一个伙伴。你知道的,狗是人类最好的朋友。

Linda: And one thing more. If you're under twenty-one years of age ...

还有一点,如果你未满二十一岁…

Robbie:  That's me.

我就不满二十一岁。

Linda: Then an adult must sign for you.

…那就需要有一位成年人替你签字。

Alexandra: Uh-oh.

哎呀。

Robbie: No problem. My parents will think it's a good idea. I'll be back with them.

没问题。我爸妈会觉得这是个好主意的。我会带他们一起来。

Alexandra: If the real owners don't come to claim Gemma ...

如果真正的主人没有来把杰玛领走的话……

Linda: After forty-eight hours. But please call first.

那要等四十八小时之后。不过请先打电话确认一下。

Robbie: Thanks for your information and for being so helpful.

谢谢你的说明,也谢谢你这么热心帮忙。

Linda: It's my pleasure. Nice talking to both of you.

不客气。很高兴和你们聊聊。

[ They start to leave. ]

Robbie: Thanks again. Bye.

再次谢谢你。再见。

Alexandra: Maybe the real owners will come to claim her.

也许主人会来把她领回去。

Robbie: Her eyes look so sad. She must really miss them.

她的眼神看起来很难过,一定很想主人。

Linda: I see you're both animal lovers.

看得出来你们都很喜欢动物。

Robbie: We are.

是的。

Alexandra: Good-bye, Miss Aborn. We'll call in a couple of days.

再见,阿伯恩小姐。我们过两天再打电话给你。

Linda: Good-bye, and thanks for bringing Gemma in.

再见,谢谢你们把杰玛送过来。

Robbie: Bye.

再见。

[ Inside Perriello's Restaurant later that day. Robbie and Alexandra are sitting in a booth. They are going to order dinner. ]

Alexandra: I keep thinking about the dog -- about Gemma, alone in the animal shelter.

我一直在想那只狗——杰玛,独自待在动物收容所里。

Robbie: I know. But I promise you, Alexandra, the dog is just fine. They're very kind to the animals.

我知道。不过我向你保证,亚历山德拉,她没事的,他们对动物都很好。

Alexandra: I know they are. I mean about her being alone. Even if they are kind to Gemma, she's still alone, without her family.

我知道他们很好。我不放心的是她独自一狗。就算他们对杰玛很好,但还是孤零零的,没有家人在她身边。

[ The waiter comes to take their order. ]

Waiter: Ready, folks?

两位可以点餐了吗?

Robbie: Are you ready, Alexandra?

你想好了吗,亚历山德拉?

Alexandra: Yes, I'm ready. I'll have the chef's salad, please.

想好了。我要一份主厨沙拉,谢谢。

Robbie: I will have a cheeseburger, medium rare, with raw onion, and french fries, please.

我要一个芝士汉堡,三至五分熟,加生洋葱,再来一份薯条,谢谢。

Waiter: Anything to drink?

要喝点什么吗?

Alexandra: A diet cola, please.

一杯健怡可乐,谢谢。

Robbie: Ginger ale with lots of ice for me, thank you.

我要一杯姜汁汽水,多加点冰,谢谢。

Waiter: I've got it. Thanks.

好的,记下了,谢谢。

Robbie: Aren't you surprised that the animal shelter is so careful about finding homes for the animals?

你不觉得他们给动物找新家这么认真挺让人意外的吗?

Alexandra: No, I'm not.

不觉得。

[ The waiter returns with their food. ]

Waiter: And a cheeseburger, medium rare, with onion and french fries. And a ginger ale with lots of ice. Salad dressing?

一个芝士汉堡,五分熟,加洋葱和薯条。一杯多冰姜汁汽水。沙拉要什么酱?

[ A little later at the restaurant. Robbie and Alexandra are eating. ]

Robbie: Hey, I wanted you to hear my new sound system when the dog scratched on the front door. Let's finish eating, and then we'll go back to my house.

刚才本来想让你听听我的新音响,结果那只狗在门口抓门。我们快点吃完,然后回我家吧。

Robbie: I want you to hear my new tapes. I've got some great new dance music.

我想让你听听我新买的录音带,有几首很棒的舞曲。

[ In the Stewarts' home later that night. Robbie and Alexandra are dancing. The phone rings. Robbie answers it. ]

Robbie: Hello. Stewart residence.

喂,斯图尔特家。

Linda: Hello. Is Robbie Stewart there?

你好,请问罗比在吗?

Robbie: This is he. Who's this?

我就是,请问哪位?

Linda: This is Linda Aborn from the animal shelter.

我是动物收容所的琳达·阿伯恩。

Robbie: [ To Alexandra ] It's Linda from the animal shelter. Yes, Linda. Hi.

是动物收容所的琳达。嗯,琳达,你好。

Linda: We have good news and bad news, Robbie.

罗比,我有好消息也有坏消息。

Robbie: Oh?

哦?

Linda: The good news is that the Levinsons have come by to pick up the dog. The bad news is, you won't be able to adopt the dog.

好消息是莱文森一家已经把狗接走了。坏消息是你就不能领养那只狗了。

Robbie: That's OK.

没关系,太好了。

Linda: Come by one day and look at some of the other dogs. I'm sure there's one for you. Thanks, Robbie. And the Levinsons thank you for bringing their dog to us.

有空来看看其他的狗吧,我相信会有适合你的。谢谢你,罗比。莱文森一家也很感谢你把他们的狗送来。

Robbie: Thanks, Linda. Bye. [ He hangs up. ]

谢谢你,琳达。再见。

Alexandra: The owners claimed Gemma?

主人把杰玛接回去了?

Robbie: That's right.

是的。

Alexandra: I'm glad for the dog.

我真替那只狗感到高兴。

Robbie: I guess I am, too. She said if I come by, she'll help me find another dog.

我想我也是。她说我过去的话,会帮我再找一只狗。

Alexandra: Come on. Let's dance.

来吧,我们继续跳舞。
22个相关单词

与课文关联的单词

reference

/ˈrefrəns/n. 推荐人

responsible *

/rɪˈspɒnsəb(ə)l/adj. 负责的

fill out

/fɪl aʊt/v. 填写

background

/ˈbækɡraʊnd/n. 家庭背景

history *

/ˈhɪst(ə)ri/n. 个人经历

own *

/əʊn/v. 负责、拥有

unfortunately

/ʌnˈfɔːtʃənətli/adv. 遗憾地

cuddle

/ˈkʌd(ə)l/v. 偎依

pet

/pet/n. 宠物

pal

/pæl/n. 伙伴

adult *

/ˈædʌlt; əˈdʌlt/n. 成年人

parents

/ˈpeərənts/n. 父母双亲

helpful

/ˈhelpf(ə)l/n. 有帮助的

sad *

/sæd/adj. 伤感的

lover

/ˈlʌvə(r)/n. 爱好者

couple *

/ˈkʌp(ə)l/n. 几(个、天)

folk

/fəʊk/n. 诸位

diet cola

/daɪət ˈkəʊlə/n. 无糖可乐

surprised

/səˈpraɪzd/adj. 诧异的

scratch

/skrætʃ/v. 挠

tape *

/teɪp/n. 磁带

residence

/ˈrezɪdəns/n. 住处
笔记更新中
当您看到了此提示,说明本课笔记还在正在努力更新中...
领养宠物 更新于:2026-05-01 14:17:57

If you want to adopt an animal, first we need to know some references.如果你想领养动物,首先我们需要了解一些证明人。

adopt 领养 / 采用

  • They decided to adopt a child from an orphanage. 他们决定从孤儿院领养一个孩子。
  • Our company will adopt a new management system next month. 我们公司下个月将采用一套新的管理系统。
  • Don't shop, adopt a pet instead. 拒绝买卖,请选择领养宠物。
Reference 证明人 / 推荐信 / 参考My professor agreed to be my reference. 我的教授同意做我的证明人。
Foster 代养 / 寄养We are fostering a kitten until it finds a permanent home. 我们正在代养一只小猫,直到它找到永久的家。

We want to be sure that you're responsible and that you can take care of an animal.我们得确保你是个负责任的人,而且能照顾好动物。

take care of 照顾 / 处理

  • Who's going to take care of the dog while you're away? 你不在家的时候谁来照顾狗?
  • Don't worry about the tickets; I'll take care of that. 票的事儿别担心,我会处理的。
  • Please take care of yourself during the trip. 旅途中请照顾好自己。
Be sure 确保 / 肯定Make be sure to lock the door before you leave. 出门前一定要确保锁好门。
Responsible 负责任的He is a very responsible young man. 他是个非常有责任感的年轻人。

Then you have to fill out this form about your family background.然后你得填一下这张关于你家庭背景的表格。

fill out 填写(表格等)

  • Please fill out the application form in block letters. 请用大写字母填写申请表。
  • It took me an hour to fill out all the paperwork. 我花了一个小时才填完所有的材料。
  • You can fill out the survey online. 你可以在网上填写这份调查问卷。

Have you ever owned an animal?你以前养过动物吗?

ever 曾经 / 到底(用于强调)

  • Have you ever been to New York? 你以前去过纽约吗?
  • This is the best movie I have ever seen. 这是我见过的最棒的电影。
  • Don't you ever give up. 你千万别放弃。

Just to hold it and cuddle with it.就是想抱着它,跟它亲近亲近。

cuddle with 拥抱 / 依偎

  • The kids love to cuddle with their teddy bears. 孩子们喜欢抱着他们的泰迪熊。
  • We spent the evening cuddling with each other on the sofa. 我们一晚上都依偎在沙发上。
  • My cat likes to cuddle with me when I'm sleeping. 我睡觉时猫喜欢依偎在我身边。

Man's best friend is his dog.狗是人类最好的朋友。

man's best friend 人类最好的朋友(特指狗)

  • They don't call dogs man's best friend for nothing. 人们把狗称为人类最好的朋友不是没道理的。
  • As man's best friend, dogs are incredibly loyal. 作为人类最好的朋友,狗是非常忠诚的。
  • Every man's best friend needs a good home. 人类最好的朋友也需要一个温暖的家。

Then an adult must sign for you.那就必须得有成年人为你签字。

sign for 为...签字 / 签收

  • My parents had to sign for my passport application. 我的父母必须在我的护照申请表上签字。
  • I had to sign for the package when it arrived. 包裹送到时我必须签收。
  • Could you sign for me? I forgot my pen. 你能替我签个字吗?我忘带笔了。

If the real owners don't come to claim Gemma...如果原主人没来认领杰玛的话……

claim 认领 / 索取 / 声称

  • You can claim your lost keys at the front desk. 你可以在前台认领你丢失的钥匙。
  • He claimed that he didn't see anything. 他声称自己什么也没看见。
  • Don't forget to claim your baggage after the flight. 下飞机后别忘了取行李。
Lost and Found 失物招领I went to the Lost and Found to look for my wallet. 我去失物招领处找我的钱包。
Identify 识别 / 确认身份She was asked to identify her stolen bicycle. 她被要求去辨认她被偷的自行车。

Nice talking to both of you.很高兴和你们两位聊天。

Nice talking to you 很高兴和你交谈(常用于道别)

  • It was nice talking to you, have a great day! 很高兴和你聊天,祝你今天愉快!
  • Nice talking to you again, we should catch up more often. 很高兴再次和你聊天,我们应该多聚聚。
  • Anyway, nice talking to you, but I've got to run. 总之,很高兴和你聊天,但我得先走一步了。

She must really miss them.她一定非常想念他们。

must 一定 / 必须(此处表推测)

  • You must be joking! 你一定是在开玩笑!
  • It must be raining outside; everyone has an umbrella. 外面一定在下雨,因为大家都打着伞。
  • He must have forgotten about the meeting. 他一定是把开会这事儿给忘了。

We'll call in a couple of days.我们过两天会打电话过来的。

in a couple of days 过两天 / 两三天内

  • I'll finish the report in a couple of days. 我过两天就把报告写完。
  • The package should arrive in a couple of days. 包裹应该在两三天内送到。
  • Let's meet up again in a couple of days. 咱们过两天再见面。
A few days 几天I'll be away for a few days. 我要离开几天。
The day after tomorrow 后天See you the day after tomorrow. 后天见。
点餐 更新于:2026-05-01 14:19:39

I keep thinking about the dog.我一直在想那条狗的事儿。

keep doing something 一直做某事 / 持续做某事

  • I keep forgetting where I put my keys. 我老是忘我把钥匙放哪儿了。
  • Don't give up; keep trying until you succeed. 别放弃,一直努力到成功为止。
  • He kept talking even though nobody was listening. 哪怕没人听,他也一直在那儿说个没完。
Keep on 继续(强调坚持)They kept on walking despite the rain. 尽管下着雨,他们仍继续前行。
Carry on 继续(常用于中断后)Please carry on with your work. 请继续工作吧。

I promise you, Alexandra, the dog is just fine.亚历山德拉,我向你保证,那狗好着呢。

just fine 非常好 / 没事儿 / 妥妥的

  • The new system is working just fine. 新系统运行得挺顺溜的。
  • "How are you?" "I'm just fine, thanks." “你好吗?”“我挺好的,谢谢。”
  • Everything will turn out just fine in the end. 到最后一切都会好起来的。

I'll have the chef's salad, please.我要一份厨师沙拉,谢谢。

I'll have... (点餐常用)我要...

  • I'll have the steak and a glass of red wine. 我要一份牛排和一杯红酒。
  • I'll have what she's having; it looks delicious. 她点什么我也点什么,那看起来太好吃了。
  • I'll have a large coffee to go, please. 请给我来一杯大杯打包的咖啡。
I'd like... 我想要...I'd like the grilled salmon, please. 我想要一份烤三文鱼。
Can I get...? 能给我来份...吗?Can I get a cheeseburger without pickles? 能给我来个不要酸黄瓜的芝士汉堡吗?

I will have a cheeseburger, medium rare, with raw onion.我要一个三分熟的芝士汉堡,加生洋葱。

medium rare 三分熟(肉类熟度)

  • I'd like my steak medium rare, please. 我的牛排要三分熟,谢谢。
  • This burger is a bit too pink for medium rare. 这个汉堡肉饼对三分熟来说有点太粉了。
  • Most chefs recommend cooking high-quality beef medium rare. 大多数大厨建议高质量的牛肉做成三分熟。
Rare 一分熟He likes his steak rare. 他喜欢一分熟的牛排。
Medium 五分熟I'll take the medium doneness. 我要五分熟。
Well done 全熟Can you make it well done? 能做成全熟的吗?

Ginger ale with lots of ice for me, thank you.给我来一杯姜汁汽水,多加冰,谢谢。

Ginger ale 姜汁汽水(非酒精饮料)

  • Ginger ale is great for settling an upset stomach. 姜汁汽水对缓解胃部不适很有用。
  • Would you like ginger ale or cola? 你是要姜汁汽水还是可乐?
  • I love the crisp taste of ginger ale on a hot day. 我喜欢在大热天喝姜汁汽水那股清爽劲儿。

Aren't you surprised that the animal shelter is so careful about finding homes for the animals?难道你就不觉得奇怪吗,收容所给动物找家竟然这么细心?

be careful about 对...很细心/谨慎

  • You should be careful about what you say online. 你在网上说话得留神点儿。
  • She is very careful about her diet. 她对自己的饮食非常讲究。
  • Please be careful about crossing the street. 过马路时请务必当心。

I've got it.记下了。/ 明白。

I've got it 我知道了 / 我记下了 / 我明白了

  • "Don't forget the milk." "I've got it." “别忘了买牛奶。”“记下了。”
  • "The password is 'admin123'." "Okay, I've got it." “密码是admin123。”“好嘞,记住了。”
  • "You need to turn left at the light." "I've got it, thanks." “你在红绿灯那儿得左转。”“明白,谢了。”
电话通知 更新于:2026-05-01 14:20:43

I wanted you to hear my new sound system.我想让你听听我那套新音响。

sound system 音响系统 / 播放设备

  • He spent a fortune on his new sound system. 他在那套新音响系统上花了一大笔钱。
  • The party was great, but the sound system was a bit weak. 派对很棒,就是音响效果差了点。
  • The cinema has an incredible surround sound system. 这家电影院的环绕音响系统简直绝了。
Hi-Fi 高保真音响I'm looking for a high-quality Hi-Fi for my living room. 我正想给客厅找个高质量的高保真音响。
Speakers 扬声器 / 喇叭The speakers are small but very powerful. 这音箱个头虽小,功率倒挺大。

Hello. Stewart residence.你好,这里是史都华家。

residence 住宅 / 住所(接电话时的正式用语)

  • This is the residence of the Chinese ambassador. 这里是中国大使的官邸。
  • Please state your permanent residence on the form. 请在表格上填写你的永久居住地。
  • The White House is the official residence of the US President. 白宫是美国总统的官邸。

This is he.(电话中回复)我就是。

This is he/she (正式)我就是 / 正是在下

  • "Could I speak to Mr. Smith?" "This is he." “我能跟史密斯先生通话吗?”“我就是。”
  • "Is Jane there?" "This is she speaking." “简在吗?”“我就是。”
  • In casual conversation, most people say "It's me" instead. 在非正式对话中,大多数人会说“是我”。

The good news is that the Levinsons have come by to pick up the dog.好消息是莱文森一家已经顺路过来把狗接走了。

come by 顺便拜访 / 经过

  • I'll come by your office later today. 我今天晚些时候会顺便去你办公室一趟。
  • How did you come by such a rare painting? 你是怎么搞到这么一幅罕见的名画的?
  • Feel free to come by anytime you're in the neighborhood. 只要你在附近,随时欢迎过来坐坐。

pick up 接走 / 捡起 / 顺便买

  • I need to pick up my kids from school. 我得去学校接孩子。
  • Can you pick up some milk on your way home? 你回家的路上能顺便买点牛奶吗?
  • He picked up the trash and threw it away. 他捡起垃圾扔了。

You won't be able to adopt the dog.你没法领养这只狗了。

be able to 能够 / 会

  • Will you be able to come to the meeting? 你到时能来开会吗?
  • I haven't been able to sleep lately. 我最近一直睡不好。
  • She is able to speak four different languages. 她能说四种不同的语言。

I'm sure there is one for you.我肯定总有一款(狗)适合你。

I'm sure (that)... 我肯定... / 我敢说...

  • I'm sure you'll do a great job. 我敢肯定你会干得很棒的。
  • Are you sure about this decision? 你对这个决定有把握吗?
  • I'm sure it will rain tomorrow. 我敢说明天准得下雨。
I bet 我敢打赌 / 我肯定I bet he's forgotten all about it. 我敢打赌他把这事儿忘个精光。
I'm positive 我百分之百确定I'm positive that I locked the door. 我敢打包票我锁门了。

She said she'll help me find another dog.她说(如果我过去)她会帮我找另一只狗。

help someone (to) do 帮助某人做某事

  • He helped me move the heavy table. 他帮我挪了那张沉重的桌子。
  • My brother is helping me study for the exam. 我哥正帮我复习功课准备考试呢。
  • This map will help you find your way. 这张地图能帮你找到路。

The owners claimed Gemma?主人来把杰玛领回去了?

claim 认领 / 声称

  • Has anyone claimed the lost wallet? 有人来认领那个丢了的钱包吗?
  • You can claim the expenses back from the company. 你可以从公司把这笔费用报销回来。
  • He claims to be an expert in this field. 他声称自己是这方面的专家。