Episode 8 You're Going to Be Fine ACT I

早日康复 第一幕

Watch the video then answer the question:

[ Outside Lawrence Hospital one morning. Inside, Dr. Philip Stewart and his nurse, Molly Baker, are working in Dr. Stewart's office. ]

Philip: Molly, I need your special talent for handling special matters.

莫莉,我需要你那套处理棘手事情的本事。

Molly: Like what special matters?

什么样的棘手事?

Philip: Well, I have a scheduling problem.

嗯,我这边排班出了点问题。

Molly: Yes?

怎么了?

Philip: I have three tonsillectomies set for Friday with Dr. Earl.

我已经安排了这周五和厄尔医生合作三台扁桃体切除手术。

Molly: Yes?

然后呢?

Philip: I need to fit a fourth operation into his schedule. And ... I know you can do it.

我需要把第四台手术插进他的排程里… 我知道你能搞定。

Molly: Who's the patient?

病人是谁?

Philip: Carl Herrera. The boy has infected tonsils, and we should remove them as soon as possible.

卡尔·赫雷拉。这孩子扁桃体发炎了,得尽快切除。

Molly: Well, I'll try to arrange the schedule, Dr. Stewart. But it's not going to be easy.

好吧,斯图尔特医生,我尽量去安排,不过不太容易。

Philip: I know you'll be able to take care of it.

我知道你能处理好。

[ Molly shakes her head and laughs. ]


[ Inside Dr. Stewart's office later that day. Philip is talking to a mother, Mrs. Herrera, and her ten-year-old son Carl. ]

Philip: [ He looks at Carl's medical chart. ] Well, Mrs. Herrera, Carl will be perfectly fine after we remove his tonsils.

赫雷拉太太,等切除扁桃体后,卡尔很快就会完全康复的。

Mrs. Herrera: Thank you for your reassurance, Dr. Stewart. He's had so many colds and sore throats recently.

谢谢你让人放心,斯图尔特医生。他最近老是感冒、喉咙痛。

Philip: Well, it's a very easy operation, Carl. You won't feel a thing.

这是个很简单的手术,卡尔。你不会感觉到疼的。

Carl: But when do they do it?

那什么时候做手术?

Philip: This Friday.

这周五。

Carl: But Saturday's my birthday.

可周六是我生日。

Philip: [ He looks at his appointment book. ] Well, we could reschedule the operation, Mrs. Herrera, but I don't want to put it off too long.

我们也可以改时间,赫雷拉太太,不过我不想拖太久。

Mrs. Herrera: No, I think it's important to do it now. We can have a birthday party for you, Carl, when you come out of the hospital.

不,我觉得现在做比较重要。等你出院了再给你办生日派对,卡尔。

Carl: But it won't be on my birthday.

但就不是我生日那天了。

Mrs. Herrera: But your health is more important, Carl. Believe me.

可是身体更重要,卡尔,相信我。

Carl: I don't want my tonsils out.

我不想做扁桃体手术。

Philip: [ He buzzes molly on the intercom. ] Nurse Baker, would you come in, please?

贝克护士,请进来一下,好吗?

Molly: [ She enters. ] Hello, Mrs. Herrera. Hi, Carl, how you doing?

你好,赫雷拉太太。嗨,卡尔,感觉怎么样?

Carl: I don't want my tonsils out.

我不想做扁桃体手术。

Molly: Come with me, Carl. You and I will talk this over. [ She leaves the room with Carl. ]

跟我来,卡尔,我们单独聊一聊。

Mrs. Herrera: She has a special way with kids.

她特别会跟孩子打交道。

Philip: She sure does.

确实是。

[ In an area of the hospital. Carl is sitting on a sofa. He is unhappy. Molly enters and tries to make him feel better. She is carrying a robe and pajamas for him. ]

Molly: Carl, does your throat hurt?

卡尔,喉咙疼吗?

Carl: Yes.

疼。

Molly: OK. Do you want to get better?

好,那你想不想快点好起来?

Carl: Yes.

想。

Molly: OK. We want you to get better, too. You'll have your tonsils out tomorrow, and you won't get so many colds anymore.

我们也希望你快点好起来。明天做完手术后,你就不会老是感冒了。

Carl: But if I have my tonsils out tomorrow, I'll miss my birthday party on Saturday.

可要是明天手术,我就赶不上周六的生日派对了。

Molly: I know. It's a problem, isn't it? Let me try to work something out.

我知道,这是个问题,对吧?让我想想办法。

Carl: What?

什么办法?

Molly: I have to think about it.

我得想一想。

Carl: You're fooling me.

你在骗我吧。

Molly: Oh, I'm not, Carl. Give me a chance to think about it, and I'll come up with something.

没有骗你,卡尔。给我点时间想想,我一定会想出一个好主意。

Carl: A surprise?

是惊喜吗?

Molly: Maybe. But you just put on your pajamas and robe, and I'll think of a surprise.

也许吧。你先把睡衣和外袍穿上,我来想个惊喜。

Carl: Will it hurt?

会疼吗?

Molly: No. There are other boys and girls here, and they're having their tonsils out. You'll meet them.

不会的。这里还有其他小朋友也要做手术,你会见到他们的。

Carl: I don't want to.

我不想见。

Molly: Change your clothes, Carl. Everything will be just fine.

先把衣服换了,卡尔,一切都会没事的。

单词列表

16
talent */ ˈtælənt /n. 天赋
handling/ ˈhændlɪŋ /n. 处理
schedule */ ˈʃedjuːl /v. 安排
tonsillectomy/ ˌtɒnsəˈlektəmi /n. 扁桃腺切除手术
set */ set /v. 安排
fit */ fɪt /v. 可容纳
infected/ ɪnˈfektɪd /v. 被感染
tonsil/ ˈtɒnsl /n. 扁桃腺;扁桃体
arrange */ əˈreɪndʒ /v. 安排
chart/ tʃɑːt /n. 图表;记录
perfectly/ ˈpɜːfɪktli /adv. 完全地
reassurance/ ˌriːəˈʃʊərəns; ˌriːəˈʃɔːrəns /n. 宽慰
reschedule/ ˌriːˈʃedjuːl /v. 重新安排
fooling/ ˈfuːlɪŋ /v. 愚弄;欺骗
pajamas/ pəˈdʒɑːməz /n. 宽松衣物
robe/ rəʊb /n. 长袍