Episode 7 Man's Best Friend ACT III

人类最好的朋友 第三幕

Watch the video then answer the question:

[ At the animal shelter later that day. Robbie and Alexandra are still talking with Linda Aborn. ]

Linda: OK. If you want to adopt an animal, first we need to know some references.

好。如果你们想领养动物,首先需要提供一些推荐人。

Alexandra: References? People we know? 

推荐人?就是我们认识的人吗? 

Linda: Friends, teachers....We need to talk to some people about you. We want to be sure that you're responsible and that you can take good care of an animal.

朋友、老师……我们需要向一些人了解你们的情况,确保你们有责任心,也能好好照顾动物。

Linda: Then you have to fill out this form about your family background.

然后你们还要填写一份家庭情况的表格。

Robbie: Is that it?

就这些吗?

Linda: No, there's more. We need to know about your history with animals. Have you ever owned an animal?

不,还有。我们还需要了解你以前养动物的经历。你以前养过宠物吗?

Robbie: Yes. We had a cat when I was eight years old. I love cats.

有。我八岁的时候养过一只猫。我很喜欢猫。

Linda: Do you have any animals now?

那你现在有养宠物吗?

Robbie: Unfortunately, no.

很遗憾,没有。

Alexandra: Anything else?

还有其它吗?

Linda: We also like to know your reasons for wanting an animal.

我们还想了解你想养动物的原因。

Alexandra: Just to hold it and cuddle with it. Just to have as a pet. I love animals. 

就是想抱抱它、和它亲近一下,当作宠物养。我很喜欢动物。

Robbie:  To have a friend -- a pal. You know, man's best friend is his dog.

想有个朋友,一个伙伴。你知道的,狗是人类最好的朋友。

Linda: And one thing more. If you're under twenty-one years of age ...

还有一点,如果你未满二十一岁…

Robbie:  That's me.

我就不满二十一岁。

Linda: Then an adult must sign for you.

…那就需要有一位成年人替你签字。

Alexandra: Uh-oh.

哎呀。

Robbie: No problem. My parents will think it's a good idea. I'll be back with them.

没问题。我爸妈会觉得这是个好主意的。我会带他们一起来。

Alexandra: If the real owners don't come to claim Gemma ...

如果真正的主人没有来把杰玛领走的话……

Linda: After forty-eight hours. But please call first.

那要等四十八小时之后。不过请先打电话确认一下。

Robbie: Thanks for your information and for being so helpful.

谢谢你的说明,也谢谢你这么热心帮忙。

Linda: It's my pleasure. Nice talking to both of you.

不客气。很高兴和你们聊聊。

[ They start to leave. ]

Robbie: Thanks again. Bye.

再次谢谢你。再见。

Alexandra: Maybe the real owners will come to claim her.

也许主人会来把她领回去。

Robbie: Her eyes look so sad. She must really miss them.

她的眼神看起来很难过,一定很想主人。

Linda: I see you're both animal lovers.

看得出来你们都很喜欢动物。

Robbie: We are.

是的。

Alexandra: Good-bye, Miss Aborn. We'll call in a couple of days.

再见,阿伯恩小姐。我们过两天再打电话给你。

Linda: Good-bye, and thanks for bringing Gemma in.

再见,谢谢你们把杰玛送过来。

Robbie: Bye.

再见。

[ Inside Perriello's Restaurant later that day. Robbie and Alexandra are sitting in a booth. They are going to order dinner. ]

Alexandra: I keep thinking about the dog -- about Gemma, alone in the animal shelter.

我一直在想那只狗——杰玛,独自待在动物收容所里。

Robbie: I know. But I promise you, Alexandra, the dog is just fine. They're very kind to the animals.

我知道。不过我向你保证,亚历山德拉,她没事的,他们对动物都很好。

Alexandra: I know they are. I mean about her being alone. Even if they are kind to Gemma, she's still alone, without her family.

我知道他们很好。我不放心的是她独自一狗。就算他们对杰玛很好,但还是孤零零的,没有家人在她身边。

[ The waiter comes to take their order. ]

Waiter: Ready, folks?

两位可以点餐了吗?

Robbie: Are you ready, Alexandra?

你想好了吗,亚历山德拉?

Alexandra: Yes, I'm ready. I'll have the chef's salad, please.

想好了。我要一份主厨沙拉,谢谢。

Robbie: I will have a cheeseburger, medium rare, with raw onion, and french fries, please.

我要一个芝士汉堡,三至五分熟,加生洋葱,再来一份薯条,谢谢。

Waiter: Anything to drink?

要喝点什么吗?

Alexandra: A diet cola, please.

一杯健怡可乐,谢谢。

Robbie: Ginger ale with lots of ice for me, thank you.

我要一杯姜汁汽水,多加点冰,谢谢。

Waiter: I've got it. Thanks.

好的,记下了,谢谢。

Robbie: Aren't you surprised that the animal shelter is so careful about finding homes for the animals?

你不觉得他们给动物找新家这么认真挺让人意外的吗?

Alexandra: No, I'm not.

不觉得。

[ The waiter returns with their food. ]

Waiter: And a cheeseburger, medium rare, with onion and french fries. And a ginger ale with lots of ice. Salad dressing?

一个芝士汉堡,五分熟,加洋葱和薯条。一杯多冰姜汁汽水。沙拉要什么酱?

[ A little later at the restaurant. Robbie and Alexandra are eating. ]

Robbie: Hey, I wanted you to hear my new sound system when the dog scratched on the front door. Let's finish eating, and then we'll go back to my house.

刚才本来想让你听听我的新音响,结果那只狗在门口抓门。我们快点吃完,然后回我家吧。

Robbie: I want you to hear my new tapes. I've got some great new dance music.

我想让你听听我新买的录音带,有几首很棒的舞曲。

[ In the Stewarts' home later that night. Robbie and Alexandra are dancing. The phone rings. Robbie answers it. ]

Robbie: Hello. Stewart residence.

喂,斯图尔特家。

Linda: Hello. Is Robbie Stewart there?

你好,请问罗比在吗?

Robbie: This is he. Who's this?

我就是,请问哪位?

Linda: This is Linda Aborn from the animal shelter.

我是动物收容所的琳达·阿伯恩。

Robbie: [ To Alexandra ] It's Linda from the animal shelter. Yes, Linda. Hi.

是动物收容所的琳达。嗯,琳达,你好。

Linda: We have good news and bad news, Robbie.

罗比,我有好消息也有坏消息。

Robbie: Oh?

哦?

Linda: The good news is that the Levinsons have come by to pick up the dog. The bad news is, you won't be able to adopt the dog.

好消息是莱文森一家已经把狗接走了。坏消息是你就不能领养那只狗了。

Robbie: That's OK.

没关系,太好了。

Linda: Come by one day and look at some of the other dogs. I'm sure there's one for you. Thanks, Robbie. And the Levinsons thank you for bringing their dog to us.

有空来看看其他的狗吧,我相信会有适合你的。谢谢你,罗比。莱文森一家也很感谢你把他们的狗送来。

Robbie: Thanks, Linda. Bye. [ He hangs up. ]

谢谢你,琳达。再见。

Alexandra: The owners claimed Gemma?

主人把杰玛接回去了?

Robbie: That's right.

是的。

Alexandra: I'm glad for the dog.

我真替那只狗感到高兴。

Robbie: I guess I am, too. She said if I come by, she'll help me find another dog.

我想我也是。她说我过去的话,会帮我再找一只狗。

Alexandra: Come on. Let's dance.

来吧,我们继续跳舞。

单词列表

22
reference/ ˈrefrəns /n. 推荐人
responsible */ rɪˈspɒnsəb(ə)l /adj. 负责的
fill out/ fɪl aʊt /v. 填写
background/ ˈbækɡraʊnd /n. 家庭背景
history */ ˈhɪst(ə)ri /n. 个人经历
own */ əʊn /v. 负责、拥有
unfortunately/ ʌnˈfɔːtʃənətli /adv. 遗憾地
cuddle/ ˈkʌd(ə)l /v. 偎依
pet/ pet /n. 宠物
pal/ pæl /n. 伙伴
adult */ ˈædʌlt; əˈdʌlt /n. 成年人
parents/ ˈpeərənts /n. 父母双亲
helpful/ ˈhelpf(ə)l /n. 有帮助的
sad */ sæd /adj. 伤感的
lover/ ˈlʌvə(r) /n. 爱好者
couple */ ˈkʌp(ə)l /n. 几(个、天)
folk/ fəʊk /n. 诸位
diet cola/ daɪət ˈkəʊlə /n. 无糖可乐
surprised/ səˈpraɪzd /adj. 诧异的
scratch/ skrætʃ /v. 挠
tape */ teɪp /n. 磁带
residence/ ˈrezɪdəns /n. 住处