Episode 11 A Place of Our Own ACT II

自己的房子 第二幕

Watch the video then answer the question:

[ In a real-estate office in Riverdale. Marilyn and her husband Richard are speaking about homes with Virginia Martinelli, a real-estate agent. ]

Virginia: I remember your parents' first house very well. It was on Spring Avenue, near the park.

我还清楚地记得你父母的第一栋房子。那房子在斯普林大道,靠近公园。

Richard: I grew up in that house.

我就是在那栋房子里长大的。

Virginia: Yes, and you were such a cute baby.

对啊,你小时候特别可爱。

Marilyn: I've seen pictures of him. He had blond hair.

我看过他小时候的照片。他那时候是一头金发。

Virginia: I've been friendly with the Stewart family for a long time, so it's my pleasure to help you find a house now.

我和斯图尔特一家认识很多年了,所以现在能帮你们找房子,我也很高兴。

Richard: Well, we're not sure we can afford one.

嗯,我们还不确定自己买不买得起。

Marilyn: But we'd like to find out about the possibilities.

但我们还是想了解一下有没有这个可能。

Virginia: That's a good idea. I love your house on Linden Street. I sold your father that house seventeen years ago.

这是个好主意。我很喜欢你们林登街那栋房子。十七年前,那房子就是我卖给你父亲的。

Marilyn: Really?

真的?

Richard: Yes, Mom was pregnant with Robbie then, and they needed the extra room.

是啊,那时候妈妈怀着罗比,所以他们需要更大的地方。

Virginia: I hear you're expecting a baby, Mrs. Stewart.

我听说你们快有宝宝了,斯图尔特太太。

Marilyn: Mmm-hmm. So we will be needing more room.

嗯,所以我们也需要更大的空间。

Virginia: Oh, so you don't need something immediately?

噢,所以你们现在还不急着马上搬?

Richard: No. But in five or six months ...

对,不过五六个月以后…

Marilyn: And time passes so quickly.

时间过得可真快。

Virginia: Yes, it does. Well, when you called, you gave me enough information about your salaries and your savings. So I have a good idea about your financial situation. Let me show you some pictures of houses.

是啊,确实很快。嗯,你们之前打电话时,已经把收入和存款的大概情况告诉我了,所以我对你们的经济状况也有些了解。我给你们看看几套房子的照片吧。

Marilyn: With two bedrooms?

是两居室的吗?

Virginia: Yes, I think I can show you some. Of course, they won't be in Riverdale. The cost of housing's too high for you here.

有,我这儿有几套。不过当然,不会是在里弗代尔。这边的房价对你们来说还是太高了。

Richard: I haven't thought about living anywhere else. We've always lived in this area.

我还没想过搬到别的地方住。我们一直都住在这一带。

Marilyn: Where should we look for a house, Mrs. Martinelli?

那我们应该去哪里找房子呢,马蒂内利太太?

Virginia: Well, we have an office in Mount Kisco. It's a lovely area, and it's only about an hour's drive from here. 

嗯,我们在芒特基斯科那边有个办公室。那地方很不错,而且离这里开车也就一个小时左右。

Virginia: [ She takes out a book of photos. ] Here. I have a book with photos of some homes in that area. Now, let's see. Here. This is a lovely two-bedroom house in your price range.

来,这里有一本那一带房子的照片册。我们看看…这套不错,是一栋漂亮的两居室,也在你们的预算范围内。

Marilyn: It's pretty, but I prefer a two-story home.

挺漂亮的,不过我还是更喜欢两层楼的房子。

Richard: I do, too. I don't care for a ranch type.

我也一样。我不怎么喜欢那种只有一层的平房式建筑。

Virginia: OK. [ She turns the pages of the real-estate book. ] Oh, this is a wonderful house. I know it well. I sold it to the present owners.

好。啊,这栋房子很棒,我对它很熟悉,是我卖给现在这户主人的。

Richard: It looks wonderful.

看起来真不错。

Virginia: This is a two-bedroom, two-bath house. It has a full basement, and it is on a half-acre lot. You can probably afford this one.

这是一栋两卧两卫的房子,有完整的地下室,占地半英亩。你们应该负担得起。

Marilyn: I like this house.

我喜欢这栋房子。

Richard: So do I.

我也喜欢。

Virginia: And the price is right. Would you like to go see it?

而且价格也合适。你们想去看看吗?

Richard: Yes. We're planning to talk to someone at the bank next week. Perhaps we could see the house this weekend.

想。我们打算下周先去银行谈谈。也许这个周末可以去看看房子。

Virginia: If someone doesn't buy it before then, but let's keep looking. Just to get an idea of some other possibilities.

只要在那之前没人买走就行。不过我们还是继续看看吧,也顺便了解一下其他选择。

Richard: This is very helpful, Mrs. Martinelli.

这对我们帮助很大,马蒂内利太太。

Virginia: Here. This is a wonderful example of Spanish-style architecture.

来,再看看这个。这是一栋很典型的西班牙风格住宅。

Richard: Oh, I love the roof tiles on a Spanish-style house.

噢,我很喜欢西班牙风格房子的屋顶瓦片。

Marilyn: It looks like the houses in Hollywood.

看起来就像好莱坞那种房子。

Virginia: It's interesting. A house like this in Riverdale costs double the price.

很有意思吧?这种房子如果在里弗代尔,价格得贵上一倍。

Virginia: [ She turns the pages of the book. ] Oh my! Here's a real buy. It's a bargain. This house just came on the market.

哎呀,这套可真划算,简直是捡漏。这套房子才刚上市(挂牌)不久。

Marilyn: It's quite lovely. Is it a two-bedroom house?

真漂亮。也是两居室吗?

Virginia: No. It has three bedrooms and three baths. I know the house. It has a brand new kitchen. And a living room with a twelve-foot ceiling. And there's a two-car garage.

不是,是三间卧室、三间浴室。我很了解这栋房子,厨房是全新的,挑高十二英尺的客厅,另外还有一个双车位车库。

Richard: Then why don't we go look at this house, too?

那我们也去看看这栋吧?

Virginia: It's a good investment.

这房子是一项很好的投资。

Richard: Thank you, Mrs. Martinelli.

谢谢你,马蒂内利太太。

Marilyn: Thanks so much.

太感谢你了。

Virginia: My pleasure. Give my best to your parents.

别客气。代我向你父母问好。

[ Richard and Marilyn get up to leave. ]

Virginia: Your father's a wonderful doctor, Richard. He took care of my daughter when she was a child. He's the best pediatrician in Westchester.

你父亲是位很棒的医生,理查德。我女儿小时候一直是他照顾的。他是整个韦斯特切斯特郡最棒的儿科医生。

Richard: Thanks, Mrs. Martinelli. I'll give them your regards.

谢谢你,马蒂内利太太。我会替你向他们问好的。

Marilyn: We really appreciate your advice.

我们真的非常感谢你的建议。

Virginia: I do think you should go see the houses and talk to the bank. Here. Let me give you some information sheets about the houses. They're both very good buys.

我确实觉得你们应该亲自去看看房子,也跟银行谈谈。来,我给你们几份房子的资料。这两套都很划算。

Richard: Well, thanks so much for your help and your time, Mrs. Martinelli.

真的非常感谢你的帮助,也谢谢你花时间接待我们,马蒂内利太太。

Richard: [ to Marilyn ] We've got a lot to talk about.

我们有很多事情得好好商量一下。

Marilyn: Mmm-hmm. Thanks.

嗯,谢谢。

单词列表

18
cute/ kjuːt /adj. 可爱的
blond/ blɒnd /adj. 金发的
possibility */ ˌpɒsəˈbɪləti /n. 可能性
financial */ faɪˈnænʃ(ə)l /adj. 财务的
housing */ ˈhaʊzɪŋ /n. 住宅
range */ reɪndʒ /n. 范围
ranch/ rɑːntʃ /n. 牧场式住宅
half-acre/ hɑːf ˈeɪkə(r) /n. 半英亩
example */ ɪɡˈzɑːmp(ə)l /n. 案例;例证
architecture/ ˈɑːkɪtektʃə(r) /n. 建筑风格
tile/ taɪl /n. 瓦片
Hollywood/ ˈhɒliwʊd /n. 好莱坞
bargain/ ˈbɑːɡən /n. 物美价廉
ceiling/ ˈsiːlɪŋ /n. 天花板
investment */ ɪnˈvestmənt /n. 投资
best */ best /n. 良好祝愿
regard */ rɪˈɡɑːd /n. (regards)致意,问候
buy */ baɪ /n. 买得合算的东西