Episode 11 A Place of Our Own ACT I

自己的房子 第一幕

Watch the video then answer the question:

[ In the living room of the Stewarts' home in Riverdale. Marilyn is designing a dress. She stops for a while to talk to her mother-in-law Ellen. ]

Marilyn: Ellen, I'd like your opinion.

艾伦,我想听听你的意见。

Ellen: About what?

关于什么?

Marilyn: Well, Richard and I feel that with a baby coming we need to have our own place to live.

嗯,理查德和我觉得孩子快出生了,我们该有个属于自己的小家了。

Ellen: Oh.

噢。

Marilyn: Well, what do you think about Richard and me looking for a small house or an apartment at this point in our lives?

那你觉得我和理查德现在找一套小房子或者公寓怎么样?

Ellen: We love having you here, and there is room, and ... and when the baby comes, the baby can stay in your room for a while.

我们很喜欢你们住在这里,而且家里地方也够… 等孩子出生以后,也可以先跟你们住一个房间。

Marilyn: Richard feels we need to find a small house.

理查德觉得我们还是应该找一栋小房子。

Ellen: I remember when I was pregnant with Richard. Philip and I were living with Grandma and Grandpa. Philip was a young doctor, and he kept talking about having a house of our own. It's natural.

我记得怀理查德的时候,菲利普和我也是跟爷爷奶奶一起住。那时候菲利普还是个年轻医生,他总说想有一个属于我们自己的家。这很正常。

Marilyn: What did you do?

那后来你们怎么办的?

Ellen: We looked at a lot of houses.

我们看了很多房子。

Marilyn: Did you find one?

后来找到合适的吗?

Ellen: Oh, not at first. We couldn't afford it. Grandpa wanted to lend us the money to buy one, but Philip is too independent. He didn't want to borrow any money.

噢,一开始没有。我们那时候买不起。爷爷想借钱给我们买房子,但菲利普太独立了,不愿意借钱。

Marilyn: Sounds like Richard.

听起来真像理查德。

Ellen: They're all alike. Richard is a real Stewart. He's independent, and sometimes just stubborn.

他们父子俩简直一模一样。理查德是地道的斯图尔特家人:独立得要命,有时候又固执得不行。

Marilyn: When did you buy a house?

那你们是什么时候买房子的?

Ellen: After Richard was born. I was teaching music, and Philip was opening his first medical office.

理查德出生以后。那时候我在教音乐,菲利普刚开了自己的第一间诊所。

Marilyn: Where was the house?

房子在哪儿?

Ellen: Right here in Riverdale. Of course, it was a small house, but just right for us.

就在里弗代尔。当然,那房子不大,但对我们来说正合适。

Marilyn: It's funny. History repeats itself. Now Richard and I are having a baby, and we probably won't be able to afford a house right away, either.

真有意思,历史总是惊人地相似。现在理查德和我也快有孩子了,可能也一样没法马上买得起房子。

Ellen: Why don't you look at some houses, Marilyn?

玛丽莲,你们不妨先去看看房子。

Marilyn: Good idea.

好主意。

Ellen: Look in the real-estate section of Sunday's Times. You'll learn a lot.

看看星期天《纽约时报》的房地产版吧,你们会了解到很多信息。

Marilyn: Maybe we should speak to a real-estate agent about a house.

也许我们该找个房产经纪人聊聊买房子的事。

Ellen: And a bank about a mortgage.

还可以顺便跟银行谈谈房屋抵押贷款。

Marilyn: I'll talk to Richard about it. I think it's a good idea, Ellen. We can learn a lot by asking.

我会跟理查德谈谈的。我觉得这是个不错的主意,艾伦。多问问总能学到不少东西。

Ellen: And if I can be of any help, let me know. As a matter of fact, my friend Virginia Martinelli is a real-estate agent.

如果我能帮上什么忙,尽管告诉我。其实,我的朋友弗吉尼亚・马蒂内利就是房产经纪人。

Marilyn: Good.

太好了。

Ellen: You won't believe this, but she sold us our first house and this one.

你可能不信,我们第一栋房子和现在这栋房子都是她帮我们买的。

Marilyn: Well, I'll tell Richard, and we'll go to see her. [ She looks at the dress she is designing. ]

嗯,我会告诉理查德,然后我们一起去找她。

Marilyn: Do you think the skirt length is right, Ellen? Do you think it's too long?

艾伦,你觉得裙子的长度合适吗?会不会太长了?

Ellen: I think the skirt is just right. Are you planning to attach a train to it?

我觉得长度刚刚好。你打算给它加个拖尾吗?

Marilyn: No. No train. Just the dress. But I am going to make a headpiece of lace.

不,不加拖尾,就这样。不过我准备做一个蕾丝头饰。

Ellen: That dress is gorgeous.

这条裙子真漂亮。

Marilyn: Thanks, Ellen. And thanks for the advice about the house. I'll talk to Richard about it the minute he comes home.

谢谢你,艾伦。也谢谢你给我们的买房建议。理查德一回来,我就跟他谈。

Ellen: And remember, we love having you here. There's no need to rush.

还有,记住,我们非常欢迎你们住在这儿。不用急着搬家。

[ They hug. ]

单词列表

18
opinion */ əˈpɪnjən /n. 意见
point */ pɔɪnt /n. 观点
pregnant/ ˈpreɡnənt /adj. 怀孕的
natural */ ˈnætʃ(ə)rəl /adj. 合乎常理的
alike/ əˈlaɪk /adj. 相似
stubborn/ ˈstʌbən /adj. 固执的
born */ bɔːn /adj. 出生
teaching/ ˈtiːtʃɪŋ /v. 授课
real-estate/ ˈriːəl əsteɪt; ˈrɪəl əsteɪt /adj. 房地产的
times */ taɪmz /n. (Times)纽约时报
learn */ lɜːn /v. 得知;了解
agent */ ˈeɪdʒənt /n. 代理人
mortgage */ ˈmɔːɡɪdʒ /n. 房屋抵押贷款
train */ treɪn /n. 裙裾,拖尾
headpiece/ ˈhedpiːs /n. 头饰(花饰图案)
lace/ leɪs /n. 蕾丝
gorgeous/ ˈɡɔːdʒəs /adj. 华丽的
rush/ rʌʃ /v. 赶紧做,仓促做