Episode 11 A Place of Our Own ACT III

自己的房子 第三幕

Watch the video then answer the question:

[ In a bank in Riverdale. Marilyn and Richard are speaking with a loan officer about borrowing money to buy a house. ]

Mr. Riley: How do you do?

你好。

Richard: Hello.

你好。

Mr. Riley: I'm Ralph Riley. [ He shakes Richard's hand. ]

我叫拉尔夫·赖利。

Richard: I'm Richard Stewart, and this is my wife, Marilyn.

我是理查德·斯图尔特,这是我妻子玛丽琳。

Mr. Riley: Pleased to meet you.

很高兴认识你们。

Marilyn: [ She shakes his hand. ] Likewise, Mr. Riley.

我也很高兴认识你,赖利先生。

Mr. Riley: Please, sit down. What can I do for you?

请坐。我能帮你们什么?

Richard: We'd like to discuss a mortgage.

我们想咨询一下房屋贷款的事。

Marilyn: For a house.

是买房用的。

Mr. Riley: Fine. Are you buying a house or are you refinancing your present home?

好的。你们是准备买房,还是给现在的房子办理再融资?

Richard: We're planning to buy a house.

我们打算买一栋房子。

Marilyn: And we'd like to find out about a mortgage.

所以想了解一下贷款的情况。

Richard: We are customers of the bank. As a matter of fact, my whole family banks here.

我们是这家银行的客户。事实上,我们全家都在这里办业务。

Mr. Riley: I have some questions to ask. [ He writes on a form. ] Do you own your house or do you rent?

我有几个问题想问一下。你们现在的房子是自己的还是租的?

Richard: Neither. We live with my parents, Dr. and Mrs. Philip Stewart.

都不是。我们和我父母一起住,我父亲是菲利普·斯图尔特医生。

Mr. Riley: And how old are you?

你们今年多大了?

Marilyn: I'm twenty-nine.

我二十九岁。

Richard: I'm thirty.

我三十岁。

Mr. Riley: And, Mr. Stewart, what is your occupation?

那么,斯图尔特先生,你是做什么工作的?

Richard: I'm a freelance photographer.

我是自由摄影师。

Mr. Riley: And, Mrs. Stewart, are you working?

斯图尔特太太,你目前有工作吗?

Marilyn: Yes. I'm a designer, and I work in a boutique.

有。我是一名设计师,在一家精品服装店工作。

Mr. Riley: Did you bring any savings or salary information? Last year's tax forms?

你们带储蓄证明、收入资料或者去年的纳税申报单了吗?

Richard: Yes. Here they are.

带了,在这儿。

Mr. Riley: OK. What ... what kind of house did you have in mind?

好的。那……你们想买什么样的房子?

Richard: We're talking about buying a two-bedroom house in Mount Kisco. Here are the financial details on the house.

我们在考虑买一栋位于芒特基斯科的两居室房子。这是那栋房子的相关财务资料。

Mr. Riley: Thank you. [ He reads the details. ] Are you prepared to make a ten-percent down payment?

谢谢。你们准备付百分之十的首付吗?

Richard: Yes, we are.

是的。

Mr. Riley: Payments over thirty years?

贷款分三十年偿还?

[ Marilyn and Richard nod their heads. ]

Richard: Yes.

对。

Richard: Do you think we can get a loan?

你觉得我们能贷到款吗?

Mr. Riley: Well, it depends. Do you own any other property? Any stocks or bonds?

这个得看情况。你们还有其他房产吗?或者股票、债券之类的资产?

Richard: No.

没有。

Mr. Riley: I see. Then you don't have any collateral. Perhaps you could get a guarantor--someone to sign for the loan for you.

我明白了。这么说,你们目前提供不了任何抵押担保。也许你们可以找个担保人——让别人帮你们担保贷款。

Richard: Why is that necessary?

为什么一定需要担保人呢?

Mr. Riley: Since you don't have enough income, and you don't already own any property, the bank needs to be sure you can pay the mortgage every month. A guarantor is responsible for the loan if you can't make the payments.

因为你们目前收入不算高,而且也没有其他资产,所以银行需要确认你们有能力按月偿还贷款。如果你们无法还款,担保人就需要承担责任。

Richard: I see. Well, the idea of buying a house is exciting.

我明白了。不过,一想到能买房子,还是挺让人兴奋的。

Marilyn: Thank you, Mr. Riley. We'll read this over carefully.

谢谢你,赖利先生。我们会仔细看看这些资料的。

Mr. Riley: Thank you.

不客气。

Richard: Good-bye. Thanks.

再见,谢谢你。

Mr. Riley: Good-bye. And hope to see you soon.

再见。希望很快还能见到你们。

Richard: I hope so, too.

我也希望如此。

[ They all shake hands. ]

Mr. Riley: Take care.

慢走。

Marilyn: Good-bye.

再见。

[ Later, on the patio of the Stewarts' home. Richard and Marilyn are speaking about their experience at the bank. ]

Richard: It all sounded so easy until they mentioned needing collateral or a guarantor.

在他们提到需要抵押资产或者担保人之前,一切听起来都挺简单的。

Marilyn: We have no collateral.

我们根本没有抵押资产。

Richard: And I don't think it's a good idea to ask Dad to sign as a guarantor. I don't feel right about it.

而且我觉得让爸爸当担保人也不太妥当,心里过意不去。

Marilyn: I understand your feelings about it, Richard.

我理解你的感受,理查德。

Ellen: [ She comes out to the patio with a tray of drinks and food. ] Now, tell me, what's the problem?

来,告诉我,到底出什么问题了?

Marilyn: We can get a loan from the bank if we can put up some collateral.

如果我们能提供抵押资产,银行就愿意贷款给我们。

Richard: And we don't own anything to use as collateral.

可我们没有任何能拿来抵押的东西。

Marilyn: Or someone can sign with us as a guarantor.

或者找个人给我们做担保。

Ellen: Why don't you speak to Dad?

那你们为什么不跟爸爸商量一下?

Richard: No. If we buy a house, I want to be able to handle it alone.

不。如果我们要买房,我希望靠自己解决。

Ellen: Everybody needs help sometimes, Richard.

理查德,每个人都会有需要别人帮忙的时候。

Marilyn: I understand Richard's feelings about it, Ellen.

我能理解理查德的想法,埃伦。

Richard: In two or three months, I'll have an advance on my book and be able to put more money down.

再过两三个月,我那本书的稿酬预付就会到账,到时候就能多付一点首付了。

Marilyn: What about the house in Mount Kisco? Somebody else'll buy it by then.

那芒特基斯科那栋房子怎么办?到时候可能早就被别人买走了。

Richard: Then there'll be other houses, Marilyn.

那还会有别的房子,玛丽琳。

Ellen: Richard has a point. You're just beginning to look.

理查德说得也有道理。你们才刚开始看房子。

Marilyn: We're in no great rush. It's true.

我们确实也不是特别着急。

Richard: This has been a great learning experience for us, Marilyn. Talking to the real-estate agent. Looking at the houses. Talking to the loan officer at the bank.

这对我们来说也是一次很好的学习经历,玛丽琳。跟房产经纪人聊、看房子、再和银行贷款专员谈这些事。

Marilyn: It has been a learning experience. That's true.

确实学到了不少东西。

Ellen: I think you're doing the right thing. Taking your time. Looking around. Especially with a purchase of this kind. You're talking about a lot of money.

我觉得你们现在这样做是对的。慢慢来,多看看。尤其是买房这种事,毕竟牵涉到一大笔钱。

Marilyn: We'll call Mrs. Martinelli and tell her to keep looking for us.

我们会给马蒂内利太太打电话,请她继续帮我们留意房子。

Richard: And I'll call Mr. Riley at the bank and tell him we'll see him in a couple of months.

我也会给银行的赖利先生打电话,告诉他我们过几个月再联系。

Ellen: And if you ever need Dad or me to help you ...

如果你们什么时候需要我和爸爸帮忙的话…

Marilyn: We know.

我们知道。

Ellen: You know we'll be there for you.

你们知道,我们一定会支持你们的。

Richard: It's a Stewart tradition. We're a family.

这是斯图尔特家的传统——互相支持,因为我们是一家人。

单词列表

20
loan */ ləʊn /n. 贷款;借款
likewise/ ˈlaɪkwaɪz /adv. 同样地
refinance/ ˌriːˈfaɪnæns /v. 重新融资
rent/ rent /v. 租用
occupation/ ˌɒkjuˈpeɪʃ(ə)n /n. 职业
freelance/ ˈfriːlɑːns /adj. 自由职业(者)的
designer/ dɪˈzaɪnə(r) /n. 设计师
boutique/ buːˈtiːk /n. 精品店
tax */ tæks /n. 税款
details */ ˈdiːteɪlz /n. 详情,资料
prepared */ prɪˈpeəd /adj. 准备好的
property */ ˈprɒpəti /n. 财产;地产
stock */ stɒk /n. 股份,股票
bond */ bɒnd /n. 债券
collateral/ kəˈlætərəl /n. 抵押担保
guarantor/ ˌɡærənˈtɔː(r) /n. 担保人
necessary */ ˈnesəsəri /adj. 必要的
mention */ ˈmenʃ(ə)n /v. 说起来;提到
advance */ ədˈvɑːns /n. 预付款
tradition */ trəˈdɪʃ(ə)n /n. 传统,惯例