Episode 7 Man's Best Friend ACT II

人类最好的朋友 第二幕

Watch the video then answer the question:

[A little later. Robbie and Alexandra are in the Kitchen. They are feeding the dog. ]

Robbie: Don't worry, Alexandra. We'll find the owner.

别担心,亚历山德拉。我们会找到狗的主人的。

Alexandra: How, Robbie?

怎么找呢,罗比?

Robbie: Let me think.

让我想想。

Alexandra: [ to the dog ] Gemma, sit. Good Gemma. Give me your paw. Good Gemma. This dog is well trained.

杰玛,坐下。好杰玛。伸出你的爪子来。乖杰玛。这条狗受过良好的训练。

Robbie: She likes you, too. 

她也喜欢你。

Alexandra: So how are we going to find the owners?

那么我们如何去找她的主人呢?

Robbie: With a little help from the ASPCA, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. They're the ones.

得靠 ASPCA (美国禁止虐待动物协会) 帮忙。只能找他们了。

Robbie: We once found a cat. She was caught in the branches of our tree. And Dad called the ASPCA. They came and solved the problem.

我们有一次捡到了一只猫,她卡在了我们家树的上下不来了。爸爸给 ASPCA 打了电话,他们来把问题解决了。

Alexandra: Robbie, let's call them.

罗比,那我们给他们打电话吧。

[ Robbie looks up the number in the telephone book. ]

Robbie: Let me see -- ASPCA... Here it is. ASPCA Animal Shelter. 555-7700. [ He calls. ]

让我瞧瞧——ASPCA …在这儿。ASPCA 动物收容所。555-7700。

Linda(Worker): Hello, ASPCA. 

这里是 ASPCA,你好。

Robbie (on phone): Hello, my name is Robbie Stewart. I have a lost dog. I'd like to bring her to you. How late are you open?

我叫罗比 • 斯图尔特,我这儿有一条走失的狗,想给你们送来。你们最晚什么时候下班?

Linda(Worker): We're open till nine P.M.

到晚上九点。

Robbie: Thank you. I'll bring the dog over by nine. 

谢谢。我在九点前把狗送来。

Linda(Worker): Thanks. Bye.

谢谢。再见。

Robbie: Thanks. Good-bye. [ He hangs up the phone. ]

谢谢。再见。

Alexandra: They're still open?

他们现在还开着?

Robbie: They're open until nine o'clock. We have two and a half hours. Let's take Gemma by there now. They'll find the owner.

他们开到九点。咱们还有两个半小时。现在就把杰玛送过去吧,他们会找到狗狗的主人的。

Alexandra: I hope so. I'm so sad to see this little dog without her family.

希望如此。看到这只小狗回不了家,我真难受。

Robbie:  I'm sure they'll find the owner. But if they don't, I'll adopt her. She's so cute. Look at those eyes. She's hard to resist. Don't you just love her?

我敢肯定他们会找到狗的主人的。如果他们找不到,我就领养她。她真好玩儿。你看她的那双眼睛,真招人喜欢。难道你不喜欢她吗?

Alexandra: I'd like to keep her, too. But I'll be going home to Greece at the end of the semester. She just wants love and affection.

我也想留下她。可是我这学期结束我就要回希腊了。她真需要人疼爱她,关怀她。

Alexandra: Come on, Robbie. Let's get her to the animal shelter, so they can find her owners quickly. [ to the dog ] Don't worry, Gemma. We'll get you home. It's not easy being away from home. 

走吧,罗比。咱们把她送到动物收容所,好让他们快点找到她的主人。别担心,杰玛。我们会送你回家的。想家(在外漂泊)的感觉可不好受。

Robbie: Come on, poochie. Atta girl! Let's go. We're off to the animal shelter.

来吧,小狗狗。好姑娘!咱们走吧,到动物收容所去。

[ At the ASPCA Animal Shelter. Robbie and Alexandra are in the office of the shelter's director, Linda Aborn. ]

Linda(Worker): [ She writes on a form. ] Your name?

你的名字?

Robbie: Robbie Stewart. And this is Alexandra Pappas.

罗比 • 斯图尔特。她叫亚历山德拉 • 派巴斯

Linda(Worker): Your name will do, Mr. Stewart. Your address?

写你的名字就行了,斯图尔特先生。你地址呢?

Robbie: 46 Linden Street, Riverdale.

里弗代尔,林登大街 46 号。

Linda(Worker): Where did you find the dog?

你在什么地方捡到这条狗的?

Robbie: She found us.

是她找着我们的。

Linda(Worker): You tried calling the number on the collar? 

你有没有尝试过给项圈上的号码打电话?

Robbie: Yes, but the number's no longer in service.

打过了,可是这号码已经不能用了。

Linda(Worker): And there's no address on the dog tag?

狗的号码牌上没有地址吗?

Alexandra:  There's no other information. 

没有其它信息了。

Linda(Worker): No ID number. Without that, it's hard.

没有登记号码,如果没有的话,就很难找了。

Alexandra: You will try to find the dog's owner?

你们会尽力去寻找狗的主人吧?

Linda(Worker): Oh, we'll try, believe me.

相信我,我们会尽力去找的。

Robbie: And if you don't? 

要是你们找不到呢?

Linda(Worker): Yes?

然后呢?

Robbie: If you don't? ... can I ... can I adopt the dog?

要是你们找不到呢?…我可以 …我可以领养这条狗吗?

Linda(Worker): Why, yes. If the owners don't claim the dog in forty-eight hours, then you can apply for adoption.

噢,可以的。如果主人在 48 小时内不来认领,那么你就可以申请领养了。

Robbie: How do I do that?

我该办什么手续呢?

Alexandra: You really want to?

你真的想要领养她?

Robbie: Yes, I'm serious. If no one comes to claim Gemma, I'd like to adopt her.

是的,我是认真的。如果没有人来认领杰玛,我愿意领养她。

Linda(Worker): It's not difficult.

这不难。

单词列表

21
trained/ treɪnd /adj. 训练过的
society */ səˈsaɪəti /n. 社团
prevention/ prɪˈvenʃn /n. 预防
cruelty/ ˈkruːəlti /n. 虐待
animal */ ˈænɪm(ə)l /n. 动物
branch/ brɑːntʃ /n. 树丫
solve */ sɒlv /v. 解决
shelter/ ˈʃeltə(r) /v. (人、动物的)收容所
adopt */ əˈdɒpt /v. 领养
resist */ rɪˈzɪst /v. 抵抗
keep */ kiːp /v. 饲养
semester/ sɪˈmestə(r) /n. 学期
affection/ əˈfekʃn /n. 关爱
poochie/ ˈpuːtʃi /n. 对狗的昵称
attagirl/ ˈætəɡɜːl /interj. [西]真好,真棒
collar/ ˈkɒlə(r) /n. 颈圈
tag/ tæɡ /n. 标签
hard */ hɑːd /adj. 困难的
claim */ kleɪm /v. 认领
apply */ əˈplaɪ /v. 申请
feeding/ ˈfiːdɪŋ /n. 喂养