Episode 22 Career Choices ACT II 职业选择 第二幕

In the second act, Ellen tries to help Marilyn. And Marilyn wants to know what Ellen decided to do when her children were babies. Later on, Susan tells Marilyn what her life is like as a working mother. What will Marilyn decide to do?

[ In the living room. Ellen is playing with baby Max using a teddy bear. Marilyn is nearby. ]

Ellen: There's your teddy bear, Max.

你的泰迪熊在这儿呢,马克斯。

Ellen: He just loves that teddy bear that Grandpa Philip bought for him.

他可喜欢菲利普爷爷买给他的这只泰迪熊了。

Marilyn: I took him to Philip's office yesterday for a checkup. You should have seen the look on his face when Molly gave him the injection.

我昨天带他去菲利普诊所做检查来着。莫莉给他打针的时候,你真该看看他那副表情。

Ellen: Oh, did he cry?

噢,他哭了吗?

Marilyn: No, my dear little boy just looked up at me as if to say, "Mama, what are they doing to me? Help!"

没哭,我那宝贝小家伙就直勾勾地抬头看着我,那眼神就像在说:“妈妈,他们要对我干嘛呀?救命!”

Ellen: How did you feel? Tell the truth, didn't you feel terrible?

你当时心里什么感受?实话实说,心里是不是难受极了?

Marilyn: I sure did. I held him closely. I kissed the top of his dear little head. He looked up at me. He tried to smile. Being with him helped.

那可不嘛!我紧紧抱着他,亲了亲他可爱的小脑瓜。他抬头看着我,还强撑着想对我笑笑呢。陪在他身边感觉好多了。

Ellen: Helped him? Or helped you?

是让他好多了?还是让你好多了?

Marilyn: Being a mother is not easy, if that's what you mean.

如果你是想说当妈妈不容易的话,那确实太难了。

Ellen: Speaking of being a mother, I've been meaning to ask you what you were thinking about regarding going back to work. I know Rita Mae called. I can imagine what is going through your head.

说到当妈妈,我一直想问问你,关于回去上班你是怎么想的。我知道丽塔·梅打来过电话,我也能想象出你心里有多纠结。

Marilyn: I'm sure you can, Ellen.

我懂,埃伦,你肯定能体会。

Ellen: There are so many things to consider. One thing that makes it easier for you is that you have us. Max will always have a family member to watch over him while you're at work. I didn't have that when Richard and Susan were born.

需要顾及的事实在太多了。不过有一点能让你省不少心——你有我们呀。你上班的时候,随时都有家人能照看马克斯。当初理查德和苏珊出生的时候,我可没这条件。

Marilyn: What did you do?

那你当时是怎么做的?

Ellen: I chose to continue with my career as a music teacher. We hired a woman to watch Richard and then Susan, and I continued with my career.

我选择继续当我的音乐教师。我们请了位女士来照顾理查德,后来又照顾苏珊,而我则继续发展我的事业。

Marilyn: Do you think you made the right decision?

你觉得你当时做出的决定对吗?

Ellen: I think I did. But when Robbie was born, I decided to give full-time attention to raising Robbie. I felt differently at that time.

我觉得挺对的。不过等罗比出生的时候,我决定把全部精力都放在照顾罗比身上。那时候我的想法就不太一样了。

Marilyn: And you gave up your career as a music teacher?

这么说你放弃了音乐教师的职业?

Ellen: Not exactly. I continued to teach piano lessons at home.

也不完全是,我继续在家里教钢琴课。

Marilyn: How did you feel about being away when Susan and Richard were babies?

在苏珊和理查德还是婴儿的时候离开他们,你心里是什么感受?

Ellen: I think I did the right thing for them and for myself and for Philip. We needed the money. Remember?

我认为我做出了对他们、对我自己以及对菲利普都正确的选择。当时咱们需要这笔收入,记得吧?

Marilyn: Well, we do too, Ellen. Everything I earn helps us towards getting that house we want and need.

嗯,我们现在也需要钱,埃伦。我赚的每一分钱,都能帮我们离买到那栋心仪且必需的房子更近一步。

[ Susan arrives from the city, full of energy. ]

Susan: I can't wait till he's just a little older. Our toy company makes the most wonderful toys for kids.

我等不及想让他快点长大了!我们玩具公司生产的玩具对孩子们来说绝对是顶棒的。

Marilyn: Max thanks you. I thank you. And Richard thanks you. Now may I please say hello?

马克斯谢谢你,我也谢谢你,理查德也谢谢你。那我现在能跟你打个招呼了吗?

Susan: Hello. Hello. I miss Max and think about him all week long. We talk about him at dinner time.

你好呀!你好!我这一整周都在想念马克斯。我们晚饭时还聊起他呢。

Ellen: Will you please try to relax? I've never seen you so wound up.

你能不能放松一点?我还从没见你这么情绪高涨紧张过呢。

Marilyn: You seem to be enjoying the pressure.

你看起来还挺享受这种高压状态的嘛。

Susan: The truth is, I am. My job is not an easy one, but I really enjoy it.

实话实说,我还真是!我的工作虽然不容易,但我真的很享受。

Marilyn: That is exactly what I wanted to talk to you about, Susan.

苏珊,我正好想跟你聊聊这件事。

Susan: What's the problem?

怎么啦?遇到什么难题了?

Ellen: Marilyn's career.

玛丽莲的事业。

Marilyn: Well, my choice of careers.

准确地说,是我在事业上的抉择。

Susan: Choice?

抉择?

Marilyn: My career as a fashion designer versus my career as a mother.

我作为服装设计师的事业,和我作为母亲的“事业”之间的权衡。

Susan: Why does it have to be one or the other?

为什么非要二选一呢?

Ellen: That's what I said.

我也是这么说的。

Marilyn: How's that?

怎么说?

Susan: Why can't you do both?

你为什么不能两者兼顾呢?

Ellen: She's right.

她说得对。

Marilyn: Both?

两者兼顾?

Susan: Well, that's what I do. I have a job, and I have Michelle. I take care of both to the best of my ability. It's not easy, but what is?

我就是这么做的呀!我有自己的工作,同时也要照顾米歇尔。我都尽我最大的能力去兼顾好。这确实不容易,但世上哪有什么事是容易的呢?

Ellen: And that's what I did. I did both with Richard and Susan, and I did both with Robbie.

我当年也是这么过来的。在理查德和苏珊小的时候我两头兼顾,在罗比身上也是如此。

Marilyn: I thought you stayed home with Robbie?

我以为你当年是为了罗比一直待在家里?

Ellen: I did. But I was lucky enough to have a career as a music teacher which I could continue at home.

我是待在家里,但我幸运在我的职业是音乐教师,这让我在家里也能继续自己的工作。

Susan: Why can't you work at home, Marilyn? You're very talented. Designing dresses is a career you could establish out of your home, couldn't you?

玛丽莲,你为什么不能居家办公呢?你非常有才华。服装设计完全可以打造成一项以家为据点的事业,不是吗?

Marilyn: I don't know why I didn't think of it. It seems so simple now. For a year or two I could stay at home with Max and do my dress designs.

我真不知道自己之前怎么就没想到!现在想想太简单了!一两年内,我可以边在家陪着马克斯,边做我的服装设计。

Ellen: And you could make your dresses at home.

而且你还可以在家里制作服装。

Susan: Sounds like a great way to solve the problem.

这听起来是绝佳的解决办法。

Ellen: That could solve your problem, Marilyn.

玛丽莲,这绝对能解决你的难题。

Marilyn: I'm going to call Rita Mae at home and ask her to come by and talk about it. She wants to see Max, anyway.

我这就给丽塔·梅家里打电话,请她过来当面聊聊这事。反正她也一直想来看看马克斯。

Susan: I think that really answers your questions, Marilyn. You can do it. Do your designs at home—here.

玛丽莲,我觉得这彻底解答了你的疑惑。你完全办得到,就在家——在这儿做设计。

Marilyn: And let Rita Mae do the selling at the boutique.

让丽塔·梅负责在时装店销售。

Ellen: And you can both benefit financially.

这样你们俩在财务上都能受益。

Marilyn: I'm going to call Rita Mae right now. Oh, Susan, thank you so much for coming all this way from the city to talk to me about it. I hope you don't mind having taken so much time away from your busy schedule.

我这就给丽塔·梅打电话。噢,苏珊,太感谢你特地从城里跑这一趟来帮我参谋了。希望没占用你繁忙日程里的太多时间。

Susan: Are you kidding? I don't mind at all. As a matter of fact, I came to spend some time with my favorite nephew.

开什么玩笑呢!我一点都不介意。事实上,我就是专门来看我最疼爱的小侄子的。

Ellen: I think you should call Rita Mae right now. I think your idea of working at home is perfect.

我觉得你现在就该给丽塔·梅打个电话,你这居家办公的想法简直绝完美。

Marilyn: I don't know what I would do without you. I'm lucky to have you all.

要是没有你们,我真不知该怎么办才好。能有你们大家,我真幸运。

Ellen: We are lucky to have you, Marilyn.

能有你,也是我们的幸运,玛丽莲。

Susan: And so is Max.

马克斯也是这么幸运。