Episode 22 Career Choices ACT II

职业选择 第二幕

Watch the video then answer the question:

Marilyn: There's your teddy bear, Max.

这是你的小熊,马克斯。

Marilyn: He just loves that teddy bear

他真的很喜欢菲利普爷爷

Marilyn: that Grandpa Philip bought for him.

给他买的那只玩具熊。

Marilyn: I took him to Philip's office yesterday for a checkup.

我昨天带他去菲利普的诊所做检查了。

Marilyn: You should have seen the look on his face

当莫莉给他打针的时候,

Marilyn: when Molly gave him the injection.

你真该看看他脸上的表情。

Ellen: Oh, did he cry?

噢,他哭了吗?

Marilyn: No.

没有。

Marilyn: My dear little boy just looked up at me as if to say,

我亲爱的小宝贝只是抬头看着我,好像在说:

Marilyn: "Mama, what are they doing to me? Help!"

“妈妈,他们在对我做什么?救命!”

Ellen: How did you feel?

你当时感觉如何?

Ellen: Tell the truth.

说实话。

Ellen: Didn't you feel terrible?

难道你不觉得心里很难受吗?

Marilyn: I sure did.

我的确很难受。

Marilyn: I held him closely.

我紧紧地抱着他。

Marilyn: I kissed the top of his dear little head.

我吻着他可爱的小脑袋瓜。

Marilyn: He looked up at me.

他抬头看着我,

Marilyn: He tried to smile.

努力想要微笑。

Marilyn: Being with him helped.

陪在他身边感觉好多了。

Ellen: Helped him?

是帮了他?

Ellen: Or helped you?

还是帮了你?

Marilyn: Being a mother is not easy,

如果你是想说当母亲不容易,

Marilyn: if that's what you mean.

那确实如此。

Ellen: Speaking of being a mother,

谈到当母亲,

Ellen: I've been meaning to ask you

我一直想问问你

Ellen: what you were thinking about regarding going back to work.

关于回去工作的事你是怎么想的。

Ellen: I know Rita Mae called.

我知道丽塔·梅给你打过电话。

Ellen: I can imagine what is going through your head.

我能想象你现在脑子里在想些什么。

Marilyn: I'm sure you can, Ellen.

我想你一定能理解,艾伦。

Marilyn: There are so many things to consider.

有太多的事情需要考虑了。

Ellen: One thing that makes it easier for you

有一件事能让你更容易做决定,

Ellen: is that you have us.

那就是你还有我们。

Ellen: Max will always have a family member to watch over him

当你工作的时候,

Ellen: while you're at work.

家里总会有成员会照顾马克斯的。

Ellen: I didn't have that when Richard and Susan were born.

理查德和苏珊出生时,我可没这种条件。

Marilyn: What did you do?

那你是怎么做的?

Ellen: I chose to continue with my career as a music teacher.

我选择继续我的音乐教师生涯。

Ellen: We hired a woman to watch Richard and then Susan,

我们雇了一个人来照顾理查德,后来又照顾苏珊,

Ellen: and I continued with my career.

而我继续着我的事业。

Marilyn: Do you think you made the right decision?

你觉得你当时做出了正确的决定吗?

Ellen: I think I did.

我想是的。

Ellen: But when Robbie was born,

但当罗比出生时,

Ellen: I decided to give full-time attention to raising Robbie.

我决定全身心地投入到抚养罗比中去。

Ellen: I felt differently at that time.

那时候我的心态不一样了。

Marilyn: And you gave up your career as a music teacher?

那你放弃了音乐教师的工作吗?

Ellen: Not exactly.

不完全是。

Ellen: I continued to teach piano lessons at home.

我继续在家里教钢琴。

Marilyn: How did you feel about being away

当理查德和苏珊还那么小的时候,

Marilyn: when Susan and Richard were babies?

你离开家去工作感觉如何?

Ellen: I think I did the right thing

我觉得我对他们、对我自己,

Ellen: for them and for myself and for Philip.

以及对菲利普都做出了正确的选择。

Ellen: We needed the money.

我们当时很需要钱。

Ellen: Remember?

记得吗?

Marilyn: Well, we do too, Ellen.

嗯,艾伦,我们也一样。

Marilyn: Everything I earn helps us towards getting that house

我赚的每一分钱都能帮助我们买下

Marilyn: we want and need.

那间我们向往且需要的房子。

Susan: I can't wait till he's just a little older.

我真等不及看他再长大一点。

Susan: Our toy company makes the most wonderful toys for kids.

我们玩具公司生产的玩具是全世界最棒的。

Marilyn: Max thanks you.

马克斯谢谢你。

Marilyn: I thank you.

我也谢谢你。

Marilyn: And Richard thanks you.

理查德也谢谢你。

Susan: Now may I please say hello?

现在我可以打个招呼了吗?

Marilyn: Hello.

哈罗。

Susan: Hello.

哈罗。

Susan: I miss Max and think about him all week long.

我想念马克斯,一整个星期都在想他。

Susan: We talk about him at dinnertime.

晚饭时间我们都在聊他。

Marilyn: Will you please try to relax?

你能不能尽量放松点?

Marilyn: I've never seen you so wound up.

我从来没见你这么紧张过。

Marilyn: You seem to be enjoying the pressure.

你看起来似乎很享受这种压力。

Susan: The truth is, I am.

事实的确如此,我很享受。

Susan: My job is not an easy one,

我的工作并不轻松,

Susan: but I really enjoy it.

但我真的很喜欢。

Susan: That is exactly what I wanted to talk to you about, Susan.

(对苏珊说)这正是我想要和你谈谈的事情。

Susan: What's the problem?

出什么问题了吗?

Marilyn: Marilyn's career.

玛丽琳的事业。

Marilyn: Well, my choice of careers.

嗯,是我对事业的选择。

Susan: Choice?

选择?

Marilyn: My career as a fashion designer

是继续当时装设计师的事业,

Marilyn: versus my career as a mother.

还是全身心做一个母亲。

Susan: Why does it have to be one or the other?

为什么非得二选一呢?

Marilyn: That's what I said.

我刚才也是这么说的。

Susan: How's that?

这是怎么回事?

Susan: Why can't you do both?

为什么不能兼顾呢?

Ellen: She's right.

她说得对。

Marilyn: Both?

兼顾?

Susan: Well, that's what I do.

嗯,我就是这么做的。

Susan: I have a job, and I have Michelle.

我有工作,也有米歇尔要照顾。

Susan: I take care of both to the best of my ability.

我尽全力把两方面都照顾好。

Susan: It's not easy, but what is?

这不容易,但世上哪有容易的事?

Ellen: And that's what I did.

我也曾是这么做的。

Ellen: I did both with Richard and Susan,

理查德和苏珊小时候我兼顾了,

Ellen: and I did both with Robbie.

罗比出生后我也一样。

Susan: I thought you stayed home with Robbie?

我以为你一直待在家里陪罗比?

Ellen: I did.

我是待在家里。

Ellen: But I was lucky enough to have a career as a music teacher

但我很幸运拥有一份音乐教师的工作,

Ellen: which I could continue at home.

可以在家里继续。

Susan: Why can't you work at home, Marilyn?

玛丽琳,你为什么不能在家里工作呢?

Susan: You're very talented.

你很有才华。

Susan: Designing dresses is a career

服装设计这种事业

Susan: you could establish out of your home,

是可以从家里起步的,

Susan: couldn't you?

不是吗?

Marilyn: I don't know why I didn't think of it.

我不知道我为什么之前没想到。

Marilyn: It seems so simple now.

现在看起来真的很简单。

Marilyn: For a year or two

这一两年里

Marilyn: I could stay at home with Max and do my dress designs.

我可以待在家里陪马克斯,同时进行服装设计。

Susan: And you could make your dresses at home.

你还可以在家制作成衣。

Susan: Sounds like a great way to solve the problem.

听起来是个解决问题的绝佳办法。

Ellen: That could solve your problem, Marilyn.

玛丽琳,这确实能解决你的问题。

Marilyn: I'm going to call Rita Mae at home

我要给丽塔·梅家里打个电话,

Marilyn: and ask her to come by and talk about it.

请她过来谈谈这件事。

Marilyn: She wants to see Max, anyway.

反正她也想来看看马克斯。

Ellen: I think that really answers your questions, Marilyn.

我想这真的解答了你的疑问,玛丽琳。

Ellen: You can do it.

你行的。

Ellen: Do your designs at home--here.

就在这儿,在家里做设计。

Ellen: And let Rita Mae do the selling at the boutique.

让丽塔·梅在精品店负责销售。

Ellen: And you can both benefit financially.

你们两个都能从中获益。

Marilyn: I'm going to call Rita Mae right now.

我这就给丽塔·梅打电话。

Marilyn: Oh, Susan, thank you so much

噢,苏珊,真的太谢谢你了。

Marilyn: for coming all this way from the city to talk to me about it.

特意从城里大老远跑来跟我谈这件事。

Marilyn: I hope you don't mind

我希望你不要介意

Marilyn: having taken so much time away from your busy schedule.

在你繁忙的日程中占用了这么多时间。

Susan: Are you kidding?

开什么玩笑?

Susan: I don't mind at all.

我一点都不介意。

Susan: As a matter of fact,

事实上,

Susan: I came to spend some time with my favorite nephew.

我是专门来陪陪我最心爱的小侄子的。

Ellen: I think you should call Rita Mae right now.

我想你现在就该给丽塔·梅打电话。

Ellen: I think your idea of working at home is perfect.

我觉得在家工作这个主意简直完美。

Marilyn: I don't know what I would do without you.

如果没有你们,我真不知道该怎么办。

Marilyn: I'm lucky to have you all.

拥有你们我真的太幸运了。

Ellen: We are lucky to have you, Marilyn.

拥有你也是我们的幸运,玛丽琳。

Ellen: And so is Max.

对马克斯来说也一样。

单词列表

0