Episode 16 Full of Surprises ACT II 意外惊喜 第二幕

In the second act, Grandpa is traveling to Pete Waters' farm. When he stops for gasoline, the man of the gas station gives him directions for a shortcut — a shorter road to Pete's farm. Later, a farm worker gives Grandpa more directions. Will Grandpa ever find the farm?

[ Grandpa pulls into a gas station near Chesterton. An attendant walks up to his car window. ]

Attendant: Hello. What can I do for you?

您好!想加点什么?

Grandpa: Hi. Fill 'er up. I need a full tank.

嗨,加满,帮我把油箱加满。

Attendant: Check the hood?

需要帮您检查一下引擎盖里面吗?

Grandpa: No, thanks.

不用了,谢谢。

Attendant: Whereabouts are you headed?

您这是打算去哪儿啊?

Grandpa: Pete Waters's farm, near Chesterton.

去切斯特顿附近的皮特·沃特斯农场。

Attendant: I know it well. Pete Waters has lived around here almost as long as I have.

那我熟啊!皮特·沃特斯在这儿住的时间跟我差不多长。

Grandpa: How long is it going to take for me to get there?

我开过去大概要多久?

Attendant: About fifteen minutes. There's a shortcut—if you know it.

大概十五分钟吧。要是走捷径的话更方便——如果您知道路的话。

Grandpa: No, I don't. Could you tell me how to use the shortcut?

我不知道。能跟指指捷径怎么走吗?

Attendant: Sure. You take the next left turn. You'll see a stop sign. Make a right at the stop sign. Stay on that road, and you'll cross a blue bridge. Then you'll see a big old red barn. That's the back of Pete Waters's place.

没问题!前面下一个路口左转,会看到一个停车让行标志。在标志那儿右转,沿着那条路一直开,过一座蓝色的桥。然后你会看到一个又大又旧的红谷仓,那儿就是皮特·沃特斯家后院了。

Grandpa: That's quite a difference from the directions that Pete sent me.

这跟我收到皮特寄给我的路线指引差别挺大的。

Attendant: Now, if you take that route, it's probably a lot simpler, but it'll take you ten minutes longer.

嗨,要走他给的那条路,虽然简单是简单,但得白白多绕个十分钟。

Grandpa: OK. Let me repeat it. I take the next left turn to the stop sign. Then a right across a blue bridge, and then a big red barn.

行,我复述一遍。前面下一个路口左转到让行标志,然后右转过一座蓝桥,接着就能看到大红谷仓。

Attendant: Can't miss it.

错不了,打眼就能看见!

Grandpa: How much do I owe you?

一共多少钱?

Attendant: Well, that'll be eighteen dollars and seventy cents. No charge for the cleanup. It's on the house.

一共十八刀七毛(18.70美元)。顺手帮您擦挡风玻璃不收钱,送您的。

Grandpa: Well, here's a twenty.

给,这是二十美元。

Attendant: Ah. OK. That's a dollar and thirty cents change. There we go... will make twenty. Thanks.

好勒,找您一刀三毛(1.30美元)。收您二十,刚好。多谢啦!

Grandpa: Thank you. And thanks for the directions.

谢谢你,也谢谢你给我指路。

[ Grandpa follows the shortcut directions and arrives at the farm, pulling up near a large red barn. ]

Grandpa: This must be Pete's barn. Turn right to the house. Hi.

这肯定就是皮特的谷仓了。右转应该就是主屋。嗨!

Worker: Hi. What can I do for you?

嗨,您好!有什么能帮您的?

Grandpa: Is this the Pete Waters farm?

请问这里是皮特·沃特斯的农场吗?

Worker: It is.

没错,就是这儿。

Grandpa: I'm a friend of Pete's. I'm looking for the house.

我是皮特的老朋友,我想找他的住处。

Worker: It's just over yonder. Keep along this road till you get to the end of the fence. You'll see the chicken coop. His house is on the left.

就在那边不远处。顺着这条路一直走,走到篱笆尽头,你会看到鸡舍,他的房子就在左手边。

Grandpa: Well, thanks.

太感谢了。

[ Grandpa arrives at the house. The front door is unlocked. He walks in and finds a note on the table. ]

Grandpa: "Have gone to the railroad station. Back soon with a surprise. Make yourself at home. Have a look around. Pete." Same old Pete Waters. Always full of surprises.

“去火车站了,很快就带个惊喜回来。别见外,当自己家一样,到处转转吧。——皮特。”还是老样子,这个皮特·沃特斯,总是喜欢卖关子搞惊喜。