Episode 16 Full of Surprises ACT I 意外惊喜 第一幕

In the first act, a letter arrives for Grandpa. Pete Waters is an old friend of Grandpa's. In the letter, Peter invites Grandpa to a reunion, a time to see their old friends again. Will Grandpa go to the reunion?

[ In the Stewarts' house on a Saturday morning. Robbie and Grandpa, Malcolm Stewart, are speaking with each other in the kitchen. ]

Robbie: The mailman just dropped some mail in our box, Grandpa.

邮差刚刚把一些信塞进了我们的信箱,爷爷。

Grandpa: Probably a lot of advertising and bills. [ joking ] Why don't you write to me, Robbie, so I can get some interesting mail? [ He goes to the patio to plant some seeds. ]

八成又是一大堆广告和账单。罗比,你怎么不给我写封信呢?这样我也能收到点有意思的信了。

Robbie: [ He enters the patio and looks through the mail. ] You were right, Grandpa. Advertising, bills, bills, advertising.

还真让你说中了,爷爷。广告,账单,账单,广告。

Grandpa: Yes. It's just like I said, Robbie. Nothing interesting.

是啊,就像我说的,罗比。没什么有意思的。

Robbie: You won't believe it, Grandpa, but there's a letter here addressed to you, Mr. Malcolm Stewart, and it looks like a personal letter.

爷爷,你肯定不敢相信,这里真有一封寄给你的信,收件人是马尔科姆·斯图尔特先生,而且看起来还是封私人信件。

Grandpa: Oh, it must be a bill.

噢,肯定又是账单。

Robbie: I don't think so. The return name and address is Pete Waters, RFD Number 1, Chesterton.

我觉得不是。寄信人是皮特·沃特斯,地址是切斯特顿,1号乡村邮路。

Grandpa: You're joking. Pete Waters?

你在开玩笑吧。皮特·沃特斯?

Robbie: Pete Waters, RFD Number 1, Chesterton. You know him?

皮特·沃特斯,切斯特顿,1号乡村邮路。你认识他吗?

Grandpa: Do I know Pete Waters? You bet I do! [ He takes the letter from Robbie. ] He was my roommate in college. He visited with Grandma and me in Florida about five years ago. [ He opens the letter. ]

我认识皮特·沃特斯?当然认识!他是我大学时的室友。大约五年前,他还到佛罗里达来看过我和你奶奶。

Robbie: What does he say? Is he OK?

他说了些什么?他还好吗?

Grandpa: [ reading ] Yeah, he's fine. Just fine. He's writing to invite me to spend a weekend with him at his farm. He's planning a get-together with two or three other college friends. A kind of a fifty-year anniversary reunion.

是啊,他很好,真的很好。他写信邀请我去他的农场和他一起过个周末。他还打算约上两三个大学同学聚一聚。算是一次阔别五十年的同学重聚吧。

Robbie: Sounds like fun. Fifty years? Wow!

听起来真有意思。五十年?哇!

Grandpa: It sounds like fun to me, too, Robbie.

我也觉得一定很有意思,罗比。

Robbie: What kind of farm does he have?

他的农场是什么样的?

Grandpa: I've never been there, Robbie, but he has chickens and cows and all. That means fresh eggs and fresh milk.

我还没去过那里,罗比,不过他养了鸡、牛之类的家畜。那就意味着能吃到新鲜的鸡蛋、喝到新鲜的牛奶。

Robbie: Does he have a family?

他有家庭吗?

Grandpa: No, he doesn't, Robbie. He never married. He's not as lucky as I am to have a family and grandchildren. I'm a lucky man.

没有,罗比。他一直没有结婚,不像我这么有福气,成家了,连孙子都有了。我这辈子挺知足的(或:我真的很幸运)。

Robbie: How come he never got married?

他为什么一直没有结婚?

Grandpa: That's a good question, Robbie. A very good question. He never married because the girl he was in love with in college married someone else. As simple as that. He never got over it.

这是个好问题,罗比。确实是个好问题。他一直没有结婚,是因为大学时深爱的那个女孩嫁给了别人。就是这么简单。他始终没能放下。

Robbie: He must have loved her very much.

他一定非常爱她。

Grandpa: Yes. Very much. Lillian Winters. She was in our class.

是的,非常爱。她叫莉莲·温特斯,和我们是同班同学。

Robbie: And what happened?

后来怎么样了?

Grandpa: She was in love with Donald McGrath, the quarterback on our football team.

她爱上了唐纳德·麦格拉思——我们橄榄球队的四分卫。

Robbie: Football players are always popular with the ladies.

橄榄球队员总是很受女孩子欢迎。

Grandpa: She liked Pete, and they went to dances together. But her heart was with Donald.

她也喜欢皮特,他们还一起去参加舞会。但她心里爱的人始终是唐纳德。

Robbie: Did he ever get over it?

后来他放下了吗?

Grandpa: No, he never did.

没有,一直都没有。

Robbie: Where is she today?

她现在在哪儿?

Grandpa: I don't know. Maybe Lillian will be at the reunion.

我不知道。也许莉莲也会来参加这次聚会。

Robbie: You think so?

你觉得会吗?

Grandpa: Pete's full of surprises.

皮特总是会给人惊喜。

Robbie: I wish I could go there with you, Grandpa. What do you think the surprise will be?

真希望我能和你一起去,爷爷。你觉得会是什么惊喜呢?

Grandpa: With Pete, you never know, Robbie.

皮特这个人,你永远猜不到他会有什么点子,罗比。

Robbie: Won't it be exciting to see all your college friends there again?

又能见到你那些大学同学,难道不令人兴奋吗?

Grandpa: It is already. I'm kind of excited about going now. [ He thinks aloud. ] Next weekend ... sleep over Friday and Saturday night and come back Sunday. I can't wait!

可不是嘛,我现在这就已经开始兴奋了。下周末… 周五、周六在内那儿过夜,周日回来。真恨不得马上就去!

Robbie: Don't you think you ought to call Pete and tell him you're coming?

你要不要给皮特打个电话,跟他说一声你要过去?

Grandpa: You're reading my mind, Robbie.

你小子真懂我 / 咱俩想到一块儿去了,罗比。

好友来信

更新于:2026-07-12 09:26:50
3

Why don't you write to me, Robbie, so I can get some interesting mail?罗比,你干嘛不给我写封信呢,这样我也能收到点有趣的邮件?

Why don't you... 你干嘛不……呢 / 提建议

  • Why don't you take a break? 你干嘛不歇会儿呢?
  • Why don't you come along with us? 要不你跟我们一块儿去吧?
  • If you're tired, why don't you go to bed? 要是累了,你干嘛不早点睡呢?
Why not + 动词原形 何不……(更口语化) Why not join us for dinner tonight? 今晚一块儿吃个饭呗?
How about + 动名词 ……怎么样 / 提议 How about going for a movie this weekend? 这周末去看场电影怎么样?

It's just like I said, Robbie.罗比,就像我刚才说的那样。

It's just like... 正如…… / 就像……一样

  • It's just like old times. 就像回到了过去一样。
  • It's just like him to be late. 迟到这事儿太符合他的作风了。
  • It's just like I pictured it in my mind. 这跟我想象中的一模一样。
Just as... 正如…… / 恰如…… Just as I expected, he forgot the keys. 正如我所料,他把钥匙给忘了。

You won't believe it, Grandpa, but there's a letter here addressed to you...爷爷,你绝对不敢相信,这儿有一封写给你的信……

You won't believe it 你绝对不敢相信 / 告诉你个新鲜事

  • You won't believe it, but I ran into our old teacher today! 你绝对不敢相信,我今天居然碰见我们以前的老师了!
  • You won't believe it, I actually won the lottery! 说出来你都不信,我中彩票了!
  • You won't believe it, he finished the whole thing in an hour. 你绝对不敢信,他一个小时就把这事儿全搞定了。
Believe it or not 信不信由你 Believe it or not, I've never tried pizza. 信不信由你,我长这么大还没吃过比萨。

It must be a bill.那肯定又是催缴账单。

must be... 准是…… / 一定是……(表强烈推测)

  • You've been working all day; you must be exhausted. 你忙了一整天,现在准累坏了。
  • There's someone at the door; it must be the delivery guy. 有人敲门,肯定是个送外卖的。
  • He's not answering; he must be sleeping. 他没接电话,这会儿肯定在睡觉。
can't be... 绝对不是…… / 不可能…… That can't be true! 那绝对不可能是真的!

I don't think so.我看未必。

I don't think so 我看不会 / 我不这么认为

  • "Will it rain today?" "I don't think so." “今天会下雨吗?”“我看不会。”
  • "Is he coming?" "I don't think so, he's busy." “他来吗?”“估计不来,他忙着呢。”
  • Some people like it, but I don't think so. 有些人喜欢这玩意儿,但我可不觉得有什么好的。
I suppose not 我看也是 / 估计不行 "Can we leave early?" "I suppose not." “我们能早点走吗?”“估计不行。”
I doubt it 我表示怀疑 / 悬 "Will he change his mind?" "I doubt it." “他会改变主意吗?”“我看悬。”

Do I know Pete Waters? You bet I do!我认不认识皮特·沃特斯?那还用说,我当然认识了!

You bet 那当然 / 没错 / 的确

  • "Are you coming to the party?" "You bet!" “你来参加派对吗?”“那还用说,准去!”
  • "Can you help me?" "You bet, just tell me what to do." “能帮我个忙吗?”“没问题,尽管吩咐。”
  • "Is it cold outside?" "You bet it is!" “外面冷吗?”“那不是一般的冷!”
No doubt / Absolutely 当然 / 毫无疑问 "Will you win?" "Absolutely!" “你会赢吗?”“那必须的!”

He visited with Grandma and me in Florida about five years ago.大约五年前,他到佛罗里达来看过我和你奶奶。

visit with... 和某人聚一聚 / 叙旧(美式口语常用)

  • I stayed in town to visit with some old classmates. 我留在城里和几个老同学聚了聚。
  • Come over this weekend and visit with us. 这周末过来跟我们一块儿坐坐。
  • She loves to visit with her neighbors in the afternoon. 她喜欢下午的时候跟邻居们聊天唠嗑。
catch up with... 跟某人叙旧 / 了解近况 It was great to catch up with you today. 今天能和你聚聚叙叙旧真是太棒了。

What does he say? Is he OK?信里说什么了?他还好吧?

What does it say? (书信、告示等)上面写什么了?

  • What does the text message say? 短信里写啥了?
  • What does the sign say over there? 那边那个牌子上写着什么?
  • I got his note, but what does it say exactly? 我拿到他的便条了,不过这上面到底写了些啥?
According to... 根据……所说/所载 According to the email, the meeting is canceled. 根据邮件通知,会议已经取消了。

He's writing to invite me to spend a weekend with him at his farm.他写信是想邀请我去他的农场共度周末。

spend time with... 和某人一起度过时光

  • I want to spend the weekend with my family. 我想和家人一起过周末。
  • He spent his vacation with his grandparents. 他和爷爷奶奶一起度过了假期。
  • Thanks for spending time with me today. 谢谢你今天花时间陪我。
hang out with... 和某人混在一起 / 闲逛 I used to hang out with them after school. 我以前放学后总和他们在一块儿玩。

He's planning a get-together with two or three other college friends.他正计划和两三个大学老友聚一聚。

get-together 聚会 / 联欢

  • We are having a family get-together this Sunday. 我们这周日有个家庭聚会。
  • It's just an informal get-together, so wear whatever you want. 这只是个非正式的小聚会,你想穿啥就穿啥。
  • I'm looking forward to our annual get-together. 我一直盼着我们一年一度的聚会呢。
party / gathering 派对 / 聚会 It's a small social gathering of close colleagues. 这只是亲密同事间的一个小聚会。

回忆往事

更新于:2026-07-12 09:28:04
3

It sounds like fun to me, too, Robbie.罗比,我觉得这听起来也挺有意思的。

sound like... 听起来像…… / 听上去很……

  • That sounds like a great idea! 这听上去主意真棒!
  • It sounds like you had a rough day. 听起来你今天过得挺不容易的。
  • Does that sound like a plan to you? 你觉得这个安排怎么样?
look like... 看起来像…… It looks like rain today. 今天瞅着要下雨。

He's not as lucky as I am to have a family and grandchildren.他可没我这么福气,能有这一大家子人和孙子辈。

not as lucky as... 没……这么幸运/有福气

  • I'm not as lucky as my brother when it comes to exams. 说到考试,我可没我哥那么走运。
  • We are not as lucky as they are to live near the beach. 我们没他们那么好命,能住在海滩附近。
  • He was not as lucky as last time and got caught. 他这回没上次那么走运,被逮了个正着。
as lucky as they come 极其幸运 / 运气爆棚 That guy is as lucky as they come. 那家伙运气真是不是一般的好。

How come he never got married?他怎么就一直没结婚呢?

How come... 怎么会……呢 / 为什么(口语极常用,后接陈述句语序)

  • How come you're not at work today? 你今天怎么没去上班啊?
  • How come nobody told me about the meeting? 怎么没人跟我提过开会的事儿啊?
  • How come it takes so long to load this page? 这网页怎么打开这么慢啊?
Why on earth... 到底为什么 / 究竟为什么 Why on earth did you do that? 你到底为什么要那么做?

He never got over it.他一直没能从那段感情里走出来。

get over... (从疾病、打击、失恋中)挺过来 / 释怀

  • It took him months to get over the breakup. 他花了几个月时间才从失恋中走出来。
  • I'm still trying to get over this cold. 我这感冒还没好利索呢。
  • You need to get over your fear of public speaking. 你得克服在台下当众讲话的恐惧。
move on 向前看 / 开始新生活 It's time to forget the past and move on. 是时候忘掉过去,往前看了。

Football players are always popular with the ladies.橄榄球运动员总是特别受女孩子欢迎。

be popular with... 受……欢迎 / 讨……喜欢

  • The new teacher is very popular with the students. 新来的老师特别受学生欢迎。
  • This restaurant is highly popular with locals. 这家餐馆在当地人眼里特别火。
  • He's always been popular with his co-workers. 他在同事中间人缘一直挺好。
have a way with... 受……喜欢 / 善于跟……打交道 She really has a way with kids. 她真的很招小孩子喜欢。

Pete's full of surprises.皮特这人浑身都是惊喜。

be full of surprises 充满惊喜 / 让人意想不到

  • Life is always full of surprises. 生活总是充满了意想不到的惊喜。
  • Don't underestimate him; he's full of surprises. 可别小瞧他,他这人总有出人意料的一手。
  • This old city is full of surprises for travelers. 这座古老的城市对游客来说到处都是惊喜。
full of twists and turns 充满曲折 / 跌宕起伏 The movie plot is full of twists and turns. 这电影的情节真是跌宕起伏。

With Pete, you never know, Robbie.跟皮特在一块儿,你永远说不准会有啥事,罗比。

You never know 这谁也说不准 / 很难说

  • Give it a shot; you never know what might happen. 去试试呗,没准儿就成了呢。
  • You never know with the weather these days. 最近这天儿,真是说变就变,谁也说不准。
  • Don't throw it away; you never know when you'll need it. 别扔啊,哪天指不定就能派上用场。
There's no telling... 很难说 / 无法预料 There's no telling when he will show up. 谁也说不准他啥时候能到。

Won't it be exciting to see all your college friends there again?能在那儿再见到你所有的大学老友,难道不是件让人兴奋的事儿吗?

Won't it be... 难道不……吗 / 那该多……啊(反问句表感叹)

  • Won't it be great if we win the game? 要是我们赢了这场比赛,那该多棒啊!
  • Won't it be nice to have a holiday? 能放个假难道不好吗?
  • Won't it be awkward if she sees us here? 要是她在这儿撞见我们,那该多尴尬啊?
Wouldn't it be... 如果……难道不更……吗 Wouldn't it be better to leave tomorrow? 明天再走难道不是更好吗?

I can't wait!我都等不及了!

can't wait 迫不及通 / 等不及了

  • I can't wait to see you next week. 下周就能见着你了,我真是一天都等不及了。
  • The kids can't wait for school holidays. 孩子们早就巴望着放假了。
  • I can't wait to try this new dish. 我迫不及待想尝尝这道新菜了。
look forward to... 盼望 / 期待(更正式一点) I'm looking forward to your reply. 静候您的回音。

Don't you think you ought to call Pete and tell him you're coming?你不觉得你应该给皮特打个电话,告诉他你要过去吗?

Don't you think... 你不觉得……吗 / 难道你不认为(委婉提建议)

  • Don't you think it's a bit too expensive? 你不觉得这玩意儿有点儿太贵了吗?
  • Don't you think you should apologize to her? 难道你不认为你应该跟她赔个不是吗?
  • Don't you think we've walked far enough? 你不觉得咱们走得够远的了吗?
Shouldn't you... 你是不是应该…… Shouldn't you check the schedule first? 你难道不应该先对一下时间表吗?

You're reading my mind, Robbie.罗比,你真是我肚子里的蛔虫,正合我意。

read one's mind 看穿某人的心思 / 想到一块儿去了

  • Wow, you totally read my mind! I was just about to say that. 哇,你真是我肚子里的蛔虫!我刚好想说这个。
  • I can't read his mind, so I don't know what he wants. 我又不是他肚子里的蛔虫,哪知道他到底想要啥。
  • Stop trying to read my mind; just ask me directly. 别瞎琢磨我的心思了,有话直接问我。
take the words right out of one's mouth 把某人想说的话全说了 You took the words right out of my mouth! 你把我刚好想说的话全给抢白了!