Episode 16 Full of Surprises ACT III 意外惊喜 第三幕

In the third act, Grandpa sees two of his old friends, Peggy Peddleton and Arnold Franklin. A little later, Pete arrives. What's the surprise?

[ Inside Pete Waters's house. Arnold and Peggy have just arrived. Grandpa (Malcolm) is greeting them. ]

Arnold: Don't tell me. Please don't tell me. I recognize you...

别告诉我,千万别告诉我,我认出你来了……

Peggy: Oh, don't be silly, Arnie. Of course you recognize him. Except for the beard, he hasn't changed in fifty years. It's Malcolm Stewart!

哎呀,别傻了,阿尼。你当然认得他啦!除了多了这把胡子,他这五年来一点儿都没变。这不是马尔科姆·斯图尔特嘛!

Arnold: I know it's Malcolm Stewart. You haven't changed much in fifty years.

我当然知道是马尔科姆·斯图尔特。你这五年来真没怎么变啊。

Grandpa: Peggy—Peggy Pendleton! You're Peggy Pendleton!

佩吉——佩吉·彭德尔顿!你是佩吉·彭德尔顿!

Arnold: Who am I, you old rascal? You don't recognize me, do you?

那你老小子猜猜我是谁?你认不出我来了吧?

Grandpa: I know who you are. You're Arnold Franklin! I know who you are!

我怎么会不知道!你是阿诺德·富兰克林!我认出你来了!

Peggy: You look wonderful, Malcolm!

马尔科姆,你看上去精气神真好!

Grandpa: Sit down. Pete isn't home.

快请坐,皮特这会儿不在家。

Arnold: Really?

是吗?

Grandpa: No. He left a note on the door saying he was going to the railroad station to pick up a surprise.

嗯,他在门上贴了张便条,说去火车站接个“惊喜”回来。

Peggy: He's so funny. Always full of surprises, even fifty years later.

他这人可真逗,都过了五十年了,还是这么喜欢给人搞惊喜。

Grandpa: The two of you look unbelievable!

你们俩的状态简直太棒了,简直让人不敢相信!

Arnold: How's your family? Oh, I was sorry to hear about your wife having passed away.

你家里人都还好吗?哎,听说你老伴过世了,我也感到很难过。

Grandpa: Yes. About four years ago.

是的,大概是四年前的事了。

Peggy: And you're living with your children now? In New York? Pete wrote us and told us.

你现在跟孩子们住在一起吧?在纽约?皮特之前写信跟我们提过。

Grandpa: Yup. Retired and moved to New York to live with my son and his family.

对,退休后就搬去纽约,跟我儿子一家住一块儿了。

Peggy: By the way, what do you think this big surprise is?

对了,你觉得他说的这个大惊喜会是什么?

Arnold: It could be most anything, knowing Pete.

按皮特那脾气,搞出什么名堂来都有可能。

[ Heavy footsteps and voices are heard at the front door. Pete enters with another guest. ]

Grandpa: Hey, that must be Pete! Now we'll find out about the surprise.

嘿,肯定是皮特回来了!这下谜底要揭晓了。

Pete: So good to see you all!

能见到你们大家真是太好了!

Peggy: Oh, Pete, Pete! Oh, it's so good to see you!

噢,皮特,皮特!能见到你真的太高兴了!

Pete: Remember Lillian?

大家还记得莉莲吗?

[ Pete introduces Lillian, who steps into the room. ]

Lillian: I remember all of you. You haven't changed a bit.

我可都记得你们呢。你们真是一点儿都没变。

Peggy: Lillian! Oh, my gosh!

莉莲!天呐!

Arnold: Lillian Winters. We were together in the Thursday night drama society.

莉莲·温特斯!当年咱们还在周四晚上的戏剧社一块儿待过呢。

Lillian: Remember me, Malcolm?

马尔科姆,还记得我吗?

Grandpa: Oh, beautiful as ever, Lillian. How's Donald?

噢,你还是和以前一样漂亮,莉莲。唐纳德还好吗?

Lillian: That's OK, Malcolm. Donald passed away a couple of years ago.

没关系的,马尔科姆。唐纳德前几年已经去世了。

Arnold: Sorry to hear that, Lillian.

听到这个消息很遗憾,莉莲。

Peggy: Oh, I'm so sorry.

哎呀,真为你难过。

Arnold: I would not have missed this get-together for the world!

今天的聚会,无论如何我都不会错过的!

Grandpa: And your little surprise, Pete? You really surprised me by having us all come together.

那你准备的小惊喜呢,皮特?能把大家伙儿重聚在一起,你可真给了我一个大惊喜。

Pete: You don't know what the surprise is yet? Come on! We'll tell you the big surprise.

你们该不会还没猜出来惊喜是什么吧?来来来!我们这就把这个大惊喜告诉你们。

[ Pete pours iced tea for everyone. ]

Pete: I've invited you here for the weekend to help celebrate.

我请你们来这儿过周末,是想请大家一起庆祝一下的。

Peggy: Celebrate?

庆祝?

Grandpa: Our fiftieth reunion?

庆祝咱们认识五十周年的大聚会?

Arnold: No.

不是吧。

Lillian: No. Pete wants to tell you...

不是的。皮特是想告诉你们……

Pete: Now, let me have the honor, Lillian.

哎,莉莲,这个荣幸就交给我吧。

Grandpa: For goodness sake, Pete, tell us! I can't wait much longer.

我的祖宗啊,皮特,快说吧!我都快等不及了。

Pete: Well, I am pouring this iced tea so that we can toast Lillian—and me.

好吧,我现在给大家倒上冰茶,好让咱们为莉莲——还有我,干上一杯。

Peggy: You don't mean to tell me that you and...

你该不会是想说,你和……

Pete: Yes, I do. I have loved Lillian all these years, so I asked her to be Mrs. Pete Waters.

没错,就是你想的那样!这些年来我一直爱着莉莲,所以我向她求婚,让她做皮特·沃特斯夫人。

Lillian: And I said yes.

我答应了。

Grandpa: I knew it! Congratulations!

我就知道!恭喜恭喜!

Peggy: Oh, Lillian, I am so happy for you both.

噢,莉莲,我真为你们俩感到高兴!

Arnold: It's wonderful!

这太棒了!

Pete: It's wonderful for me. Lillian will make me a happy man finally.

对我是太棒了。莉莲终于能让我做一个幸福的人了。

Grandpa: You are full of surprises, Pete.

皮特,你可真是处处给人惊喜啊。

Pete: We are going to spend the entire weekend having a good time together here on the farm. We are going to celebrate all weekend.

咱们要在这农场里好好玩上一整个周末!大家伙儿一起庆祝一整周末!

Peggy: When is the wedding?

那婚礼定在什么时候?

Pete: That's another surprise. Lillian and I were married two weeks ago in Detroit. She's come here to stay.

这又是另一个惊喜了。我和莉莲两周前已经在底特律领证结婚了。她这回是搬过来定居的。

Grandpa: Wait till I tell my family about this!

等我把这事儿告诉我家那帮孩子,他们非惊呆不可!

Peggy: Why, that's wonderful!

哎呀,这真是太圆满了!