Episode 14 Playing Games ACT I 做游戏 第一幕

[ In Susan Stewart's apartment in Soho, a neighborhood in Manhattan. Susan and Harry Bennett are preparing lunch for Harry's daughter Michelle and her friends. ]

Harry: You like living in New York, don't you?

你喜欢住在纽约,是吗?

Susan: Oh, I love it. It's so convenient. I can take the bus to work ... or the subway ... or a taxi. And there's so much to do. Lots of movie houses, and the theater.

噢,我爱死这里了。简直太方便了。我上班可以坐公交、搭地铁,或者直接打个车。而且这里有很多事情可做。数不清的独立电影院,还有剧院。

Harry: I know what you mean. I'd like to live in the city, but living in New Jersey and the suburbs is better for Michelle. Trees, grass.

我明白你的意思。我也想住在城里,不过住在新泽西的郊区对米歇尔更好。有树木,有草地。

Susan: There's a lot of good things about suburban living. I grew up in Riverdale, remember? So I know. But, as a working woman, I think New York has all the conveniences --including the best tomatoes. [ She gives a slice of tomato to Harry to taste. ]

住在郊区有很多好处。我是在里弗代尔长大的,你还记得吧?所以我很清楚。不过,作为职业女性,我觉得纽约什么都方便——连西红柿都是最好的。

Harry: The truth is, I'd like to live in the city. Michelle's the right age. There are lots of things for her here.

说实话,我也想住到城里来。米歇尔现在这个年纪,城里有很多适合她的东西。

Susan: You're right, Harry. Today is the perfect example. Michelle and her friends are at the aquarium in Brooklyn. They come back here for lunch, then go uptown to the Museum of Natural History. There's so much for young people to see and do. It's just incredible!

你说得对,哈里。今天就是个很好的例子。米歇尔和她的朋友们正在布鲁克林的水族馆玩,等会儿回来这里吃午饭,然后再去上城的自然历史博物馆。这里有太多适合年轻人看的、玩的东西了,真是不可思议!

Harry: Not just for young people. What about me?  I've never been to the aquarium or the Museum of Natural History. Have you?

不只是年轻人适合。那我呢?我从来没去过水族馆和自然历史博物馆。你去过吗?

Susan: Oh yes, Harry. My mother and father often took us somewhere in the city on the weekends. Dad was a busy doctor, but he usually managed to squeeze a Sunday in with Richard, Robbie, and me. I used to love to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

当然去过,哈里。我爸妈以前经常在周末带我们去城里的各种地方。爸爸虽然是个大忙人,但他总能雷打不动地挤出一个周日陪理查德、罗比和我。我以前特别喜欢去大都会艺术博物馆。

Harry: I've been there several times. Twice with Michelle.

我去过好几次。有两次还是和米歇尔一起去的。

Susan: You ought to think about spending more time with Michelle at all the great places in the city.

你真该多花点时间,带米歇尔去城里那些好地方看看。

Harry: Well, perhaps, you'll help me select some of the great places. And perhaps, you'll join us?

嗯,也许你可以帮我挑几个好地方。也许… 你也愿意跟我们一起去?

Susan: Perhaps I will.

也许会哦。

[ Later. Susan and Harry have just set the table for lunch. ]

Susan: Well, there we are. All set for lunch, Harry.

好了,都准备妥当了,哈里。

Harry: It looks inviting. I wish Michelle and her friends would get here. I'm starving, aren't you?

看起来真诱人。我真希望米歇尔和她的朋友们快点到。我都快饿坏了,你呢?

Susan: I can't wait to take a bite of the pumpernickel. It smells so delicious.

我已经等不及想咬一口粗麦黑面包了,闻起来真香。

[ The downstairs buzzer sounds. Susan goes to the intercom. ]

Susan: Coming! Coming! [ She speaks into the intercom. ]  Who is it?

来了!来了!是谁呀?

Michelle: Michelle. It's us, Susan.

是米歇尔,我们来了,苏珊。

Susan: Come in, Michelle, and bring your friends along. We're on the fifth floor. Oh, you've been here before. [ She opens the door. ]

进来吧,米歇尔,把你的朋友们也一起带上。我们在五楼。噢,你以前来过这儿的。

Harry: Susan, Susan, I really appreciate your doing this for Michelle and her friends.

苏珊,我真的特别感谢你为米歇尔和她朋友们做这些。

Susan: Oh, please, Harry. It's nothing. I'm not just doing it for Michelle. I'm doing it for you.

噢,别这么客气,哈里。这不算什么。我不只是为了米歇尔,也是为了你。

Harry: Thank you.

谢谢你。

Susan: I'm doing it for us, Harry.

我是为了我们俩,哈里。

Harry: Well, it's ... it's important for Michelle to see us together more often. That's true.

嗯… 让米歇尔多看看我们在一起,这很重要。确实很重要。

Susan: It's important for Michelle and me to get to know each other better. That's important for us.

米歇尔和我能更了解彼此,这很重要。对我们来说都很重要。

Harry: That makes me feel good.

这让我心里很开心。

Susan: What, Harry? What makes you feel good?

什么呀,哈里?什么让你这么开心?

Harry: Well, that you care about Michelle, that you care about me, and that you care about us.

就是… 你在乎米歇尔,在乎我,而且还把我们放在了心上。

Susan: Well, Harry, that's because I do. I do care.

嗯,哈里,因为我是真的在乎。我真的很在乎。

Harry: They'll be here any minute. Susan, I'd like to continue this conversation later.

他们马上就到了。苏珊,我想等会儿再继续聊这个话题。

Susan: Of course, Harry. We'll finish the conversation when they go to the museum.

当然可以,哈里。等他们去博物馆以后,我们再接着聊。

Harry: I'd like that.

我很愿意。

Susan: So would I.

我也是。

本课重点词汇

8 个相关单词

convenient

/ kənˈviːniənt / adj. 方便的,便利的

convenience *

/ kənˈviːniəns / n. 方便,便利

aquarium

/ əˈkweəriəm / n. 水族馆

squeeze

/ skwiːz / v.

inviting

/ ɪnˈvaɪtɪŋ / adj. 诱人的

pumpernickel

/ ˈpʌmpənɪkl / n. 裸麦粉粗面包

bring along

/ briŋ əˈlɔŋ / v. 带来...

neighborhood

/ ˈneɪbəhʊd / n. 街区

城市生活

更新于:2026-05-19 21:05:37
3

I know what you mean.我懂你的意思。

know what someone means 明白某人的意思 / 理解某人的想法

  • I know what you mean; balancing website maintenance with lesson planning is exhausting. 我懂你的意思,一边维护网站一边备课确实让人筋疲力尽。
  • If you’ve ever had a server crash at midnight, you’ll know what I mean. 如果你经历过半夜服务器崩溃,你就会明白我的意思了。
  • We all know what she means when she talks about the advantages of city life. 当她谈到城市生活的种种便利时,我们都能理解她的想法。
See one's point 明白某人的观点/道理 I see your point, but living in the suburbs is still better for the kids. 我明白你的意思,但住在郊区对孩子们来说还是更好一些。
Get what someone is saying 懂某人说的话(口语高频) I get what you're saying; the traffic in downtown New York is a total nightmare. 我懂你说的,纽约市中心的交通简直是一场噩梦。

There is a lot of good things about suburban living.住郊区其实有很多好的一面。

a lot of good things about... 关于……有很多好的一面 / 某事有很多优点

  • There are a lot of good things about using Cloudflare to protect your educational web properties. 利用 Cloudflare 来保护你的教育类网站资产有很多显而易见的优点。
  • He listed a lot of good things about the new multi-agent orchestration tools. 他列举了这款新型多智能体编排工具的许多绝妙之处。
  • We found a lot of good things about spending the weekends in natural scenic areas. 我们发现去大自然和风景区过周末真的有很多益处。
The upside of... ……的优势 / 好处 The upside of living in New Jersey is having more space and a big backyard. 住在新泽西的好处就是空间更大,还能有一个大后院。
Pros and cons 优缺点 / 利弊 We need to weigh the pros and cons of moving our infrastructure to a new host server. 我们需要仔细权衡把基础设施迁移到新托管服务器的利与弊。

I grew up in Riverdale, remember?我是在里弗代尔长大的,还记得吗?

grow up 长大 / 成长

  • I grew up in a small town surrounded by rivers and mountainous areas. 我是在一个小镇上长大的,周围全是河流和绵延的山脉。
  • Michelle is growing up so fast; she is already very mature for a ten-year-old. 米歇尔长得真快,就十岁孩子而言她已经十分成熟了。
  • He grew up bilingual because his parents spoke both English and Chinese at home. 他在双语环境中长大,因为他父母在家既说英语也说中文。
Be raised 被养大 / 抚养长大(侧重被动抚养的过程) She was raised by her grandparents in the suburbs of New York. 她是由住在纽约郊区的爷爷奶奶抚养长大的。
Spend one's childhood 度过童年 He spent his childhood exploring historical exhibits and camping in nature. 他的童年基本都在参观历史展览和去大自然露营中度过。

But, as a working woman, I think New York has all the conveniences.不过作为职业女性,我觉得纽约能提供所有的便利。

as a working woman / as a... 作为一名职业女性 / 作为一名……(用于表明身份或立场的常见结构)

  • As a web developer, I always pay close attention to server optimization and loading speeds. 作为一名网页开发人员,我总是格外关注服务器优化和加载速度。
  • As an educational website manager, he strives to provide comprehensive English study materials. 作为一名教育网站的管理者,他尽力为学生提供最全面的英语学习资料。
  • She balances her schedule perfectly as a working mother with a young baby. 作为一名家里有小宝宝的职业母亲,她完美地平衡了自己的时间表。
From the perspective of... 从……的角度来看 From the perspective of a regular commuter, the subway system is irreplaceable. 从一个普通通勤者的角度来看,地铁系统是不可替代的。
In one's capacity as... 以某人的身份/职责 He spoke in his capacity as the director of the Brooklyn Aquarium. 他以布鲁克林水族馆馆长的身份发表了讲话。

The truth is, I'd like to live in the city.老实说,我很想住在城里。

The truth is (that)... 老实说 / 实际上 / 真正的核心问题是……

  • The truth is, I haven't checked my daily Duolingo learning streak yet. 老实说,我今天还没检查我那英语学习的打卡纪录呢。
  • The truth is, our current server infrastructure cannot handle high concurrent traffic spikes. 实际情况是,我们目前的服务器基础设施根本应付不了高并发的流量峰值。
  • The truth is, Harry really wants to spend more quality time with his daughter Michelle. 其实,哈里心里真的很想多抽点高质量的时间来好好陪陪女儿米歇尔。
To be honest 老实说 / 说实话 To be honest, I’ve never been to the Metropolitan Museum of Art either. 说实话,大都会艺术博物馆我也一次都没去过。
As a matter of fact 事实上 / 真实情况是 As a matter of fact, the traffic uptown during rush hour is absolutely incredible. 事实上,上下班高峰期市中心北上方向的交通简直堵得让人难以置信。

Michelle's the right age.米歇尔正处于最好的年龄(正当年)。

be the right age 处于最合适的年龄(做某事或体验某生活)

  • She is the right age to start visiting educational museum exhibits and learning history. 她现在这个年纪,刚好适合开始逛各种教育博物馆展览并学习历史。
  • He is exactly the right age to learn a foreign language through consistent daily habits. 他正处于通过坚持每日习惯来学习外门外语的最佳年龄。
  • Don't worry about her; she is the right age to start taking the bus to school on her own. 别担心她,她这个岁数完全可以开始自己坐公交车去上学了。
At an age when... 正处于一个……的年龄 She is at an age when exploring natural scenery can greatly inspire her photography interest. 她正处于一个通过探索自然风光来极大地激发摄影兴趣的年龄。
In one's prime 处于黄金时期 / 正值当年 He is in his prime for developing robust artificial intelligence workflows. 他正处于开发高效人工智能工作流的黄金年龄。

I've never been to the aquarium or the Museum of Natural History.水族馆和自然历史博物馆我可一次都没去过。

have been to... 去过某地(通常指去过并已经返回,常用 never 表示从未去过)

  • I have been to Brooklyn several times to inspect new construction project sites. 我去过布鲁克林好几次,去考察新的建筑项目现场。
  • He has never been to Riverdale, but he knows all about its suburban lifestyle. 他从没去过里弗代尔,但他对那儿的郊区生活方式了如指掌。
  • Have you ever been to that beautiful natural lake area located in Gannan? 你以前去过位于甘南的那个美丽的天然湖泊景区吗?
Have gone to 去了某地(目前人还在那里或在途中) Michelle and her classmates have gone to the museum and will return for lunch. 米歇尔和她的同学们去博物馆了,中午会回来吃午饭。
Visit 造访 / 参观(比 have been to 更正式) We plan to visit the local cultural exhibits over the coming weekend. 我们计划在即将到来的周末去参观当地的文化展览。

I used to love to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.我以前特别喜欢去大都会艺术博物馆。

used to do something 过去常常/曾经做某事(强调过去如此,现在已不再这样)

  • I used to love photography when I frequently traveled to scenic mountainous regions. 以前我经常去多山风景区旅游的时候,曾经极其热爱摄影。
  • He used to manage his server infrastructure manually before setting up automated scripts. 在配置自动化脚本之前,他过去总是习惯纯手工去管理服务器基础设施。
  • Susan used to spend almost every Sunday exploring the city landmarks with her father. 苏珊过去几乎每个周日都会跟着她父亲去探索城里的各种地标建筑。
Would often [do] 过去经常...(侧重过去反复发生的动作,不强调现在的对比) Dad would often take us somewhere in the city for lunch on the weekends. 过去一到周末,爸爸总会经常带我们去城里某处一起吃午饭。
No longer [do] 现在不再...(与 used to 呼应的现状描述) He no longer keeps his old foreign exchange files in paper format. 他现在不再用纸质格式来保存他旧的外汇档案了。

You ought to think about spending more time with Michelle.你应该好好考虑多抽点时间陪陪米歇尔了。

ought to 应该 / 应当(语气比 should 更具客观责任感或道德建议感)

  • You ought to verify the domain security configuration on Cloudflare right away. 你应该立刻去核对一下 Cloudflare 上的域名安全配置。
  • He ought to give some serious thought to enrolling Michelle in the local arts program. 他应该好好考虑一下送米歇尔去参加当地的艺术课程。
  • We ought to thank Harry for picking out such fresh tomatoes from the suburban market. 我们真应该好好谢谢哈里,从郊区市场挑了这么新鲜的西红柿带过来。
Should 应该(口语中最通用、直接的建议) You should join us for the uptown museum tour this afternoon. 你今天下午应该加入我们,一起去城北的博物馆之旅。
Had better 最好……(通常带有不这么做会有不好后果的警示语气) We had better catch the subway now before the heavy evening rush hour begins. 我们最好现在就去赶地铁,趁着严重的晚高峰还没开始。

And perhaps, you'll join us?那或许,你也会加入我们吧?

join someone 加入某人 / 和某人一起做某事(后面直接接人,无需加 with)

  • Will you join us for lunch at that convenient diner right next to the bus station? 你要不要和我们一起,去汽车站旁边那家非常便利的小餐馆吃顿午饭?
  • I would love to have you join our team to optimize these artificial intelligence multi-file reasoning tasks. 我非常希望你能加入我们的团队,一起优化这些人工智能多文件推理任务。
  • She gladly decided to join her classmates for the field trip to the aquarium in Brooklyn. 她非常高兴地决定加入同学们,一起去布鲁克林水族馆实地考察。
Come along with... 跟着……一起来 Why don't you come along with us to the theater after we finish our steak dinner? 等我们吃完牛排大餐,你为什么不跟着我们一起来剧院呢?
Tag along 跟班 / 随行(口语随性表达,指跟着别人一起去某处) Michelle asked if her friends could tag along to the Museum of Natural History. 米歇尔问她的朋友们能不能也一起随行去自然历史博物馆。

情话绵绵

更新于:2026-05-19 21:06:52
3

All set for lunch, Harry.哈里,午饭全准备齐活了。

all set for... 为……一切准备就绪

  • We are all set for updating the lesson notes for the new semester. 我们为更新下学期的课文笔记已经做好了全盘准备。
  • Are you all set for migrating the current platform database to HostDare? 你为把当前的平台数据库迁移到 HostDare 做好全面准备了吗?
  • The legal documents are ready, so we are all set for the business audit. 法定文件都齐全了,所以我们为商业审计已经做好了完全准备。
Good to go 准备就绪 / 随时可以出发或开始 Once the Cloudflare proxy status is active, the domain is good to go. 一旦 Cloudflare 的代理状态处于激活状态,该域名就随时可以使用了。
Ready to roll 准备好大干一场 / 准备就绪(口语极常用) The production scripts are fully debugged, and the deployment is ready to roll. 生产环境脚本已完全调试完毕,部署工作随时可以大干一场了。

I wish Michelle and her friends would get here.米歇尔和她朋友们要是现在能到这儿就好了。

wish + 从句(使用虚拟语气) 要是……该多好(表达对现在或将来难以实现的愿望,从句常用过去式或 would/could + 动词原形)

  • I wish our artificial intelligence models would process these multi-file reasoning tasks faster. 要是我们的人工智能模型处理这些多文件推理任务能更快一些就好了。
  • He wishes he had more time to spend with his daughter at the Brooklyn Aquarium. 他真希望自己能有更多的时间陪女儿去布鲁克林水族馆。
  • I wish the server traffic numbers would stabilize before the promotion ends. 在促销活动结束前,服务器的流量数据要是能稳定下来就好了。
If only... 要是……该多好啊(语气比 wish 更强烈) If only she were here to taste this delicious freshly baked pumpernickel bread. 要是她现在能在这里品尝到这热腾腾、香喷喷的粗麦面包该多好啊。
Hopefully 但愿 / 满怀希望地(语气更务实,后接陈述语气) Hopefully, the translation files will automatically sync across all user interfaces tomorrow. 但愿翻译文件明天能自动同步到所有的用户界面上。

I'm starving, aren't you?我快饿扁了,你呢?

be starving 饿得不行 / 饿扁了(比 I'm hungry 语气强烈得多,口语高频)

  • Let's get a good steak dinner right away; I am absolutely starving. 咱们赶紧去吃顿丰盛的牛排大餐吧,我真的快饿扁了。
  • After checking student assignment records for five hours, the entire team was starving. 连续核对了五个小时的学生作业记录后,整个团队都饿得不行了。
  • He skipped breakfast to finish the server deployment, and by noon he was starving. 他为了完成服务器部署连早饭都没吃,到了中午已经饿得前胸贴后背了。
Famished 饿极了的(程度极深) We were completely famished after climbing the mountainous areas in Gannan all day. 在甘南的山区里爬了一整天的山之后,我们彻底饿极了。
Could eat a horse 极其饥饿(字面意:能吃下一匹马) I haven't eaten anything since we left for the museum tour; I could eat a horse. 自从我们出发去博物馆参观以来我就什么都没吃过,现在我能吃下一头牛。

I can't wait to take a bite of the pumpernickel.我简直迫不及待想尝一口这粗麦面包了。

can't wait to do something 等不及做某事 / 迫不及待做某事

  • I can't wait to inspect the latest user interactive reports generated by our tracking script. 我简直迫不及待想要去审查一下由我们的追踪脚本生成的最新用户交互报告了。
  • She can't wait to share the New Concept lesson notes with her English study group. 她迫不及待地想把自己整理的新概念课文笔记分享给她的英语学习小组。
  • They can't wait to travel to the cultural and historical sites during the summer holiday. 他们简直等不及要在暑假期间去那些文化和历史遗址旅游了。
Look forward to [doing] 期盼 / 期待(后接名词或动名词,语气较严谨) We look forward to cooperating with the engineering experts on building infrastructure automation. 我们非常期待与工程专家在构建基础设施自动化方面开展合作。
Dying to [do] 渴望至极 / 极度想做某事(口语色彩极其浓厚) He is dying to find out if his channel has officially passed the monetization milestone. 他急切地想知道自己的频道是否已经正式越过了开通盈利的门槛。

Come in, Michelle, and bring your friends along.快进来,米歇尔,把你的朋友们也一并带进来。

bring someone/something along 把某人/某物一并带来 / 随身携带

  • Please bring your identity documentation along when you verify the account profiles at the bank. 去银行核对账户资料时,请务必把你的身份证明文件一并带来。
  • You should bring a high-quality camera along if you plan to visit those scenic areas. 如果你计划去那些风景区旅游,你真应该随身带上一台高质量的相机。
  • He decided to bring a multi-agent orchestration blueprint along to the engineering seminar. 他决定把多智能体编排的蓝图一并带去参加工程研讨会。
Tag along with... 跟着……一起去(常指作为随从或陪伴者) Robbie asked if he could tag along with Richard to visit the construction site. 罗比问他能不能跟着理查德一起去视察建筑工地。
Accompanied by... 在……的陪同下(更为正式) The young students arrived at the Natural History Museum, accompanied by their teacher. 年轻的学生们在老师的陪同下抵达了自然历史博物馆。

I really appreciate your doing this for Michelle and her friends.你为米歇尔和她的朋友们操办这一切,我真的很感激。

appreciate one's doing something 十分感激某人做某事(doing 为动名词,前面用物主代词或名词所有格作逻辑主语)

  • I truly appreciate your maintaining an 842-day study habit; it’s an incredible milestone. 我真的很赞赏你一直保持着842天的学习习惯,这真是一个了不起的里程碑。
  • We appreciate his fixing the host routing errors before the traffic peek arrived. 我们非常感激他在流量高峰到来之前修复了主机的路由错误。
  • The manager appreciated their double-checking the domain registration rules on Cloudflare. 经理非常感激他们仔细核对了 Cloudflare 上的域名注册规则。
Be thankful for... 因……而心存感激 Harry was deeply thankful for Susan’s kindness toward his daughter. 哈里对苏珊向他女儿展现出的善意表达了深深的感激。
Owe someone a favor 欠某人一个人情 You really helped me stabilize the infrastructure today; I owe you a big favor. 你今天真帮了我大忙,成功稳固了基础设施;我欠你一个天大的人情。

It's important for Michelle and me to get to know each other better.米歇尔和我多加深一些对彼此的了解,这真的很重要。

get to know each other (逐渐)了解彼此 / 熟识起来(get to 强调从不了解到解的动态过程)

  • It takes time for team members from different engineering fields to get to know each other. 来自不同工程领域的团队成员之间需要时间来逐渐熟悉彼此。
  • Through daily communications, the mentor and the student managed to get to know each other better. 通过每日的沟通交流,导师和学生成功地加深了对彼此的了解。
  • They sat down for lunch to chat and get to know each other in a more relaxed suburban setting. 他们坐下来一边吃午饭一边聊天,在更加轻松的郊区氛围中增进对彼此的了解。
Build a relationship 建立关系 / 增进感情 The joint educational activities helped the parents and schools build a solid relationship. 联谊教育活动有助于家长和学校之间建立起稳固的关系。
Familiarize oneself with... 使自己熟悉……(多用于事物、系统或环境) New technical assistants must quickly familiarize themselves with our server setups. 新的技术助理必须迅速让自己熟悉我们的服务器架构配置。