Episode 12 You're Tops ACT II

顶尖高手 第二幕

[ In Susan's office a few days later. Susan calls Sam, her assistant, into her office. ]

Susan: [ She speaks into the intercom. ] Sam, would you come in, please?

萨姆,请进来一下,好吗?

Sam: [ He walks into Susan's office. He is carrying a pad and pen. ] You sound like something's bothering you, Susan. The sketches for the cover of the new doll book?

听起来你好像有什么烦心事,苏珊。是新款洋娃娃画册的封面设计稿吗?

Susan: That's not it. Please sit down.

不是那件事。请坐。

Sam: Sure. [ He sits down. ]

好的。

Susan: I need your advice on a personal matter, but it's not about me.

我有件私事想听听你的意见,不过不是关于我自己的。

Sam: You need my advice on a personal matter, and it's not about you. OK.

你有件私事想听我的意见,而且还不是关于你自己的。好吧。

Susan: It's about my grandfather.

是关于我爷爷的。

Sam: What's the problem?

怎么了?

Susan: It won't sound like a big deal, but it is. I had dinner with him Saturday, and he's very unhappy about not working.

这事听起来可能不算什么大事,但对他来说很重要。星期六我和他一起吃晚饭时,他因为没工作做而特别不开心。

Sam: I thought he was retired and pleased to be living with the family.

我还以为他退休后,和家人住在一起过得挺开心的。

Susan: He is, but there's so much energy and talent in the man, and he doesn't get to use it.

是这样没错,但他精力充沛,又很有才能,却没机会发挥。

Sam: But what can I do? What kind of advice are you looking for?

可我能帮上什么忙?你想听哪方面的建议?

Susan: Simply this. John Marchetta runs this company. 

事情是这样的。约翰·马凯塔是这家公司的掌舵人。

Sam: He founded this company.

这家公司就是他创办的。

Susan: Right. John Marchetta gave me my start here six years ago, when I first graduated from college. He gave me the chance to use my talents and made me feel more confident.

对。六年前我刚大学毕业时,当年是约翰·马凯塔在我初出茅庐时拉了我一把。他给了我施展才华的舞台,也让我真正建立起了自信。

Sam: Right. Maybe he can do the same thing for your grandfather. 

对。也许他也能帮你爷爷一把。

Susan: Or at least give him some advice.

或者至少给他一些建议。

Sam: Right. Then I've solved your problem. [ He laughs. ]

好,那看来我已经帮你把问题解决了。

Susan: [ Laughing ] I can always depend on you, Sam.

我就知道总能靠你帮忙,萨姆。

Sam: I'm glad to help. Shall I call Mr. Marchetta for you?

能帮上忙我很高兴。要不要我帮你打电话给马凯塔先生?

Susan: No, no. I'll do that. Thanks. [ She picks up the phone to call Mr. Marchetta. ]

不用不用,我自己打。谢谢。

[ In John Marchetta's office later that day. ]

Marchetta: Now, how's the Stewart family?

对了,斯图尔特一家最近怎么样?

Susan: Fine, thank you, Mr. Marchetta. Except for my grandfather.

都挺好的,谢谢你,马凯塔先生。就是我爷爷不太好。

Marchetta: What's wrong, Susan? What's wrong with him?

怎么了,苏珊?他出什么事了?

Susan: He needs to work. In fact, that is the reason why I'm here to see you. I know you're building a new factory, and I thought ... maybe ... my grandfather is so experienced in the construction trade, he could be so valuable.

他想找点事情做。其实,这也是我今天来找你的原因。我知道你们正在建新工厂,我在想… 也许… 我爷爷在建筑行业经验非常丰富,他应该能带来极大的价值。

Marchetta: Tell him to come and see me at ten o'clock tomorrow morning. I have an idea that may solve the problem for him and help a lot of other people.

叫他明天上午十点来见我。我有个想法,说不定既能解决他的心病,还能造福不少人呢。

Susan: Really, Mr. Marchetta? Can I tell him that?

真的吗,马凯塔先生?我可以这样告诉他吗?

Marchetta: Sure can. Ten o'clock in the morning. Here.

当然可以。明天上午十点,就在我这儿。

Susan: Oh, thank you!

噢,太谢谢你了!

本课重点词汇

9 个相关单词

cover *

/ ˈkʌvə(r) / n. 封面

personal *

/ ˈpɜːsən(ə)l / adj. 私人的

found *

/ faʊnd / v. 创办,成立

graduated

/ ˈɡrædʒueɪtɪd / v. 毕业

same thing

/ seɪm θɪŋ / n. 同样的事情

factory *

/ ˈfæktri; / n. 工厂

experienced

/ ɪkˈspɪəriənst / adj. 老练的

trade *

/ treɪd / n. 行业

valuable

/ ˈvæljuəb(ə)l / adj. 有价值的