Episode 11 A Place of Our Own ACT I自己的房子 第一幕

[ In the living room of the Stewarts' home in Riverdale. Marilyn is designing a dress. She stops for a while to talk to her mother-in-law Ellen. ]

Marilyn: Ellen, I'd like your opinion.

艾伦,我想听听你的意见。

Ellen: About what?

关于什么?

Marilyn: Well, Richard and I feel that with a baby coming we need to have our own place to live.

嗯,理查德和我觉得孩子快出生了,我们该有个属于自己的小家了。

Ellen: Oh.

噢。

Marilyn: Well, what do you think about Richard and me looking for a small house or an apartment at this point in our lives?

那你觉得我和理查德现在找一套小房子或者公寓怎么样?

Ellen: We love having you here, and there is room, and ... and when the baby comes, the baby can stay in your room for a while.

我们很喜欢你们住在这里,而且家里地方也够… 等孩子出生以后,也可以先跟你们住一个房间。

Marilyn: Richard feels we need to find a small house.

理查德觉得我们还是应该找一栋小房子。

Ellen: I remember when I was pregnant with Richard. Philip and I were living with Grandma and Grandpa. Philip was a young doctor, and he kept talking about having a house of our own. It's natural.

我记得怀理查德的时候,菲利普和我也是跟爷爷奶奶一起住。那时候菲利普还是个年轻医生,他总说想有一个属于我们自己的家。这很正常。

Marilyn: What did you do?

那后来你们怎么办的?

Ellen: We looked at a lot of houses.

我们看了很多房子。

Marilyn: Did you find one?

后来找到合适的吗?

Ellen: Oh, not at first. We couldn't afford it. Grandpa wanted to lend us the money to buy one, but Philip is too independent. He didn't want to borrow any money.

噢,一开始没有。我们那时候买不起。爷爷想借钱给我们买房子,但菲利普太独立了,不愿意借钱。

Marilyn: Sounds like Richard.

听起来真像理查德。

Ellen: They're all alike. Richard is a real Stewart. He's independent, and sometimes just stubborn.

他们父子俩简直一模一样。理查德是地道的斯图尔特家人:独立得要命,有时候又固执得不行。

Marilyn: When did you buy a house?

那你们是什么时候买房子的?

Ellen: After Richard was born. I was teaching music, and Philip was opening his first medical office.

理查德出生以后。那时候我在教音乐,菲利普刚开了自己的第一间诊所。

Marilyn: Where was the house?

房子在哪儿?

Ellen: Right here in Riverdale. Of course, it was a small house, but just right for us.

就在里弗代尔。当然,那房子不大,但对我们来说正合适。

Marilyn: It's funny. History repeats itself. Now Richard and I are having a baby, and we probably won't be able to afford a house right away, either.

真有意思,历史总是惊人地相似。现在理查德和我也快有孩子了,可能也一样没法马上买得起房子。

Ellen: Why don't you look at some houses, Marilyn?

玛丽莲,你们不妨先去看看房子。

Marilyn: Good idea.

好主意。

Ellen: Look in the real-estate section of Sunday's Times. You'll learn a lot.

看看星期天《纽约时报》的房地产版吧,你们会了解到很多信息。

Marilyn: Maybe we should speak to a real-estate agent about a house.

也许我们该找个房产经纪人聊聊买房子的事。

Ellen: And a bank about a mortgage.

还可以顺便跟银行谈谈房屋抵押贷款。

Marilyn: I'll talk to Richard about it. I think it's a good idea, Ellen. We can learn a lot by asking.

我会跟理查德谈谈的。我觉得这是个不错的主意,艾伦。多问问总能学到不少东西。

Ellen: And if I can be of any help, let me know. As a matter of fact, my friend Virginia Martinelli is a real-estate agent.

如果我能帮上什么忙,尽管告诉我。其实,我的朋友弗吉尼亚・马蒂内利就是房产经纪人。

Marilyn: Good.

太好了。

Ellen: You won't believe this, but she sold us our first house and this one.

你可能不信,我们第一栋房子和现在这栋房子都是她帮我们买的。

Marilyn: Well, I'll tell Richard, and we'll go to see her. [ She looks at the dress she is designing. ]

嗯,我会告诉理查德,然后我们一起去找她。

Marilyn: Do you think the skirt length is right, Ellen? Do you think it's too long?

艾伦,你觉得裙子的长度合适吗?会不会太长了?

Ellen: I think the skirt is just right. Are you planning to attach a train to it?

我觉得长度刚刚好。你打算给它加个拖尾吗?

Marilyn: No. No train. Just the dress. But I am going to make a headpiece of lace.

不,不加拖尾,就这样。不过我准备做一个蕾丝头饰。

Ellen: That dress is gorgeous.

这条裙子真漂亮。

Marilyn: Thanks, Ellen. And thanks for the advice about the house. I'll talk to Richard about it the minute he comes home.

谢谢你,艾伦。也谢谢你给我们的买房建议。理查德一回来,我就跟他谈。

Ellen: And remember, we love having you here. There's no need to rush.

还有,记住,我们非常欢迎你们住在这儿。不用急着搬家。

[ They hug. ]

18个相关单词

与课文关联的单词

opinion *

/əˈpɪnjən/n. 意见

point *

/pɔɪnt/n. 观点

pregnant

/ˈpreɡnənt/adj. 怀孕的

natural *

/ˈnætʃ(ə)rəl/adj. 合乎常理的

alike

/əˈlaɪk/adj. 相似

stubborn

/ˈstʌbən/adj. 固执的

born *

/bɔːn/adj. 出生

teaching

/ˈtiːtʃɪŋ/v. 授课

real-estate

/ˈriːəl əsteɪt; ˈrɪəl əsteɪt/adj. 房地产的

times *

/taɪmz/n. (Times)纽约时报

learn *

/lɜːn/v. 得知;了解

agent *

/ˈeɪdʒənt/n. 代理人

mortgage *

/ˈmɔːɡɪdʒ/n. 房屋抵押贷款

train *

/treɪn/n. 裙裾,拖尾

headpiece

/ˈhedpiːs/n. 头饰(花饰图案)

lace

/leɪs/n. 蕾丝

gorgeous

/ˈɡɔːdʒəs/adj. 华丽的

rush

/rʌʃ/v. 赶紧做,仓促做
笔记更新中
当您看到了此提示,说明本课笔记还在正在努力更新中...
婆媳关系 更新于:2026-05-11 13:07:02

Ellen, I'd like your opinion.艾伦,我想听听你的意见。

I'd like your opinion 我想听听你的看法/建议

  • I'd like your opinion on which tie looks better with this suit. 我想听听你觉得哪条领带配这身西装更好看。
  • Before I sign the contract, I'd like your opinion. 在我签合同之前,我想听听你的意见。
  • I'd like your opinion on the new marketing strategy. 我想听听你对新营销策略的看法。
What's your take? (口语)你怎么看?What's your take on the current stock market? 你对现在的股市怎么看?
What do you think? 你觉得呢?It’s a bit expensive. What do you think? 有点贵,你觉得呢?

Well, what do you think about Richard and me looking for a small house at this point in our lives?那么,你觉得理查德和我现在这个时候去找个小房子或公寓怎么样?

at this point in our lives 在人生目前的这个阶段

  • We are not ready for a baby at this point in our lives. 在我们人生目前的这个阶段,还没准备好要孩子。
  • At this point in our lives, stability is more important than adventure. 在人生目前的这个阶段,稳定比冒险更重要。
  • Everything is changing so fast at this point in our lives. 在我们人生目前的这个阶段,一切变化都太快了。
At this stage 在这个阶段At this stage, we are just gathering information. 在这个阶段,我们只是在收集信息。
Nowadays 现如今Nowadays, people rely heavily on smartphones. 现如今,人们非常依赖智能手机。

I remember when I was pregnant with Richard.我记得当时我怀着理查德。

be pregnant with 怀着(某个具体的孩子)

  • She discovered she was pregnant with twins. 她发现自己怀了一对双胞胎。
  • I remember how happy I was when I was pregnant with my first son. 我记得怀大儿子的时候我有多高兴。
  • Is she pregnant with a boy or a girl? 她怀的是男孩还是女孩?
Expect (婉转)怀孕/待产She's expecting her second child in June. 她的第二个孩子将在六月出生。
Have a baby on the way 就要有孩子了They've got a baby on the way, so they need a bigger car. 他们快有孩子了,所以需要辆大点的车。

He kept talking about having a house of our own.他一直念叨着要有个咱们自己的房子。

keep doing something 不停地/一直做某事

  • He kept asking the same question over and over. 他不停地问同一个问题。
  • I kept thinking about the mistake I made. 我一直回想着我犯的那个错误。
  • She kept talking even though no one was listening. 即使没人听,她还是在那儿说个不停。
Of one's own 属于某人自己的I dream of having a room of my own. 我梦想有一个属于我自己的房间。
Constantly 不断地He is constantly checking his phone. 他一直在不停地看手机。

Grandpa wanted to lend us the money to buy one, but Philip is too independent.爷爷想借钱给我们买房,但菲利普这人太独立了。

lend someone money 借给某人钱

  • Could you lend me some money until payday? 发工资前你能借我点钱吗?
  • I'm reluctant to lend money to friends. 我不怎么愿意借钱给朋友。
  • He lent his brother enough money to start the business. 他借给他弟弟足够的钱去创业。
Borrow from 从...借入I need to borrow some tools from my neighbor. 我得从邻居那儿借点工具。
Independent 自立的/自主的She has been independent since she was eighteen. 她从十八岁起就一直很自立。

Richard is a real Stewart.理查德真是个地道的斯图尔特家人。

a real [Surname] 典型的某家人 / 某家人的真传

  • You're a real Smith—you love fixing things! 你真是斯密斯家的种——就爱修东西!
  • He's a real Johnson, always early for everything. 他是典型的约翰逊家的人,干什么都早到。
  • With that temper, he's a real Miller. 就那脾气,一看就是米勒家的人。
Run in the family 家族遗传Musical talent runs in the family. 音乐天赋是他们家族遗传的。
Typical 典型的It's typical of him to forget his keys. 忘带钥匙是他的一贯作风。

He's independent, and sometimes just stubborn.他这人很独立,有时候也真够固执的。

stubborn 固执的 / 倔强的

  • Don't be so stubborn; listen to my advice. 别那么固执,听听我的建议。
  • He's as stubborn as a mule once he's made up his mind. 他一旦拿定主意,就倔得跟头驴一样。
  • It’s hard to change her stubborn attitude. 很难改变她那固执的态度。
Hard-headed 顽固的He is too hard-headed to admit he was wrong. 他太顽固了,不肯承认自己错了。
Pig-headed (贬义)死脑筋/倔得要命Stop being so pig-headed and just apologize! 别死脑筋了,赶紧道歉!
买房计划 更新于:2026-05-11 13:08:21

History repeats itself.历史总是在重演。

History repeats itself 历史重演(指相似的事情再次发生)

  • They say history repeats itself, and this economic crisis proves it. 人们说历史总在重演,这次经济危机就证明了这一点。
  • I noticed that fashion trends often mean history repeats itself every twenty years. 我发现时尚潮流往往意味着历史每二十年就会重演一次。
  • In this family, history repeats itself; every son becomes a doctor. 在这个家族里,历史总在重演;每个儿子最后都当了医生。
The same old story 老调重弹 / 还是那一套It's the same old story: he promised to change but never did. 还是老样子:他答应会改,但从未兑现。
A case of déjà vu 似曾相识的感觉Watching this game feels like a case of déjà vu. 看这场比赛感觉就像经历过一样。

We won't be able to afford a house right away.我们可能没法立刻买得起房。

afford 买得起 / 负担得起(通常与 can/be able to 连用)

  • We can't afford to go on vacation this year. 我们今年负担不起去度假的费用。
  • How can she afford such an expensive car on her salary? 凭她的工资,她怎么买得起那么贵的车?
  • I'd love to buy that house, but I simply can't afford it. 我很想买那房子,但我实在是买不起。
Beyond one's budget 超出预算That laptop is a little beyond my budget. 那台笔记本电脑有点超出我的预算了。
Cost a fortune 花大钱 / 价格不菲Living in the city center costs a fortune. 住在市中心要花很大一笔钱。

Look in the real-estate section of Sunday's Times.看看周日版《泰晤士报》的房产版块。

real estate 房地产 / 不动产

  • He made a lot of money investing in real estate. 他通过投资房地产赚了很多钱。
  • The real-estate market is very hot right now. 现在的房地产市场非常火爆。
  • She works for a real-estate company in Manhattan. 她在曼哈顿的一家房地产公司工作。
Property 财产 / 房产They own several properties in the countryside. 他们在乡下拥有几处房产。
Housing market 住房市场The housing market has slowed down recently. 住房市场最近有所降温。

Maybe we should speak to a real-estate agent.也许我们该找个房产经纪人谈谈。

real-estate agent 房产经纪人 / 房屋代理人

  • The real-estate agent showed us three houses today. 房产经纪人今天带我们看了三套房子。
  • You should find a reliable real-estate agent to help you sell your apartment. 你应该找个靠谱的经纪人帮你把公寓卖掉。
  • The real-estate agent gets a commission on every sale. 房产经纪人在每笔交易中都会抽取佣金。
Broker 经纪人 / 中间人We hired a mortgage broker to find the best deal. 我们雇了一个贷款经纪人来寻找最优惠的方案。
Realtor (美)房地产经纪人(通常为协会成员)Our Realtor was very helpful throughout the process. 我们的房产经纪人在整个过程中帮了很大的忙。

And a bank about a mortgage.(再找)银行谈谈抵押贷款的事。

mortgage 抵押贷款(特指购房贷款)

  • We applied for a 30-year mortgage to buy our first home. 我们申请了30年的抵押贷款来买我们的第一套房。
  • They are struggling to pay their monthly mortgage. 他们正吃力地偿还每月的房贷。
  • The bank approved our mortgage application yesterday. 银行昨天批准了我们的房贷申请。
Down payment 首付款We've saved up $50,000 for the down payment. 我们已经攒了五万美元做首付。
Interest rate 利率Interest rates on mortgages are rising. 房贷利率正在上升。

As a matter of fact, my friend is a real-estate agent.事实上,我的朋友就是一名房产经纪人。

As a matter of fact 事实上 / 其实(常用于引出更多细节或纠正对方)

  • As a matter of fact, I've already finished the report. 事实上,我已经把报告写完了。
  • "Do you know her?" "As a matter of fact, she's my cousin." “你认识她吗?”“其实,她是我表妹。”
  • I don't think it's too expensive. As a matter of fact, it's a bargain. 我不觉得贵。事实上,这简直是便宜货。
In fact 事实上I like her. In fact, I think she's brilliant. 我喜欢她。事实上,我觉得她才华横溢。
Actually 其实 / 实际上Actually, I'd prefer to stay at home tonight. 其实,我今晚更想待在家里。

You won't believe this, but she sold us our first house.你肯定不敢相信,但咱们的第一套房子就是她卖给我们的。

You won't believe this, but... (引出令人惊讶的消息)你肯定不信,但是...

  • You won't believe this, but I just won the lottery! 你肯定不信,但我刚中了彩票!
  • You won't believe this, but I ran into our high school teacher today. 你绝对想不到,我今天碰到咱们高中老师了。
  • You won't believe this, but that old painting is worth millions. 你肯定不敢相信,那幅旧画值好几百万。
织毛衣 更新于:2026-05-11 13:12:52

Do you think the skirt length is right, Ellen? 艾伦,你觉得裙子长度合适吗?

think 觉得 / 认为

  • I think we should take a taxi instead of walking. 我觉得咱们应该打车,别走着去了。
  • What do you think of the new restaurant downtown? 你觉得市中心那家新开的饭店怎么样?
  • Nobody thinks that it's a good idea. 没人觉得这是个好主意。
In my opinion 在我看来In my opinion, the blue one suits you better. 依我看,蓝色那个更衬你。
What's your take on... 你对...怎么看What's your take on the latest news? 你对最近的新闻有什么看法?

I think the skirt is just right. 我觉得这裙子长度正合适。

just right 正合适 / 恰到好处

  • The steak is just right, not too dry or too rare. 这牛排做得正合适,不干也不生。
  • This temperature is just right for a walk. 这个温度散步简直太舒服了。
  • "Is the volume okay?" "Yes, it's just right." “音量行吗?”“嗯,正合适。”
Spot on 完全正确 / 极其精准Your analysis of the situation was spot on. 你对局势的分析简直太到位了。
Hit the spot (食物/饮料)正合心意That cold beer really hit the spot! 那杯凉啤酒喝下去真叫一个爽!

Are you planning to attach a train to it? 你打算给裙子接个拖尾吗?

attach... to... 把...系在/附在...上

  • Don't forget to attach a label to your luggage. 别忘了在行李上贴个标签。
  • You can attach the file to the email. 你可以把文件作为邮件附件发送。
  • He attached a note to the front door. 他在前门上贴了张便条。
Train (婚纱/礼服的)拖尾The bride's train was several meters long. 新娘婚纱的拖尾有好几米长。
Fasten 系紧 / 扣好Please fasten your seatbelts for takeoff. 起飞请系好安全带。

I am going to make a headpiece of lace. 我打算做一个蕾丝头饰。

be going to 打算 / 准备 / 即将

  • I am going to visit my grandparents this weekend. 我这周末打算去看我爷爷奶奶。
  • It looks like it is going to rain soon. 看样子马上就要下雨了。
  • Are you going to tell him the truth? 你打算告诉他真相吗?
Headpiece (女性的)头饰The dancer wore a sparkling headpiece. 舞者戴着一个闪闪发光的头饰。
Intend to (更正式)打算 / 意图We intend to expand our business next year. 我们打算明年扩大业务规模。

That dress is gorgeous. 那件衣服漂亮极了。

gorgeous 极好的 / 华丽的 / 迷人的

  • You look gorgeous in that red dress! 你穿那件红裙子漂亮呆了!
  • What a gorgeous sunset we had today. 今天的落日简直美翻了。
  • The hotel room had a gorgeous view of the ocean. 饭店房间的海景简直绝了。
Stunning 美艳动人的 / 震撼的The actress looked stunning on the red carpet. 女演员在红毯上显得光彩夺目。
Exquisite 精致的 / 精美的The jewelry was exquisite and unique. 这些首饰既精致又独特。

I'll talk to Richard about it the minute he comes home. 他一进家门我就跟他谈这事。

the minute 一...就...

  • Call me the minute you arrive at the airport. 你一到机场就给我打电话。
  • The minute I saw him, I knew something was wrong. 我一见到他,就知道出事了。
  • He'll start working the minute he finishes his coffee. 他一喝完咖啡就开始干活。
The moment 一...就...I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. 我第一眼看到它就爱上了。
As soon as 一...就...(最常用)Please reply as soon as possible. 请尽快回复。

There's no need to rush. 没必要这么匆忙。

no need to 没必要 / 不用

  • There is no need to worry about the small things. 没必要为这些琐事瞎操心。
  • There’s no need to shout; I can hear you perfectly. 不用大声喊,我听得清清楚楚。
  • Is there any need to wait for him any longer? 还有必要再等他吗?
Take your time 慢慢来 / 别着急There's no hurry, so take your time. 不着急,你慢慢来。
What's the rush? 急什么?The meeting doesn't start for an hour. What's the rush? 会议还有一个小时才开始呢,急什么呀?