Episode 9 It's Up to You ACT II

选校风云 第二幕

Watch the video then answer the question:

[ The following morning. Robbie is sitting in the living room. He is waiting for Philip to take him to see Charley Rafer at the university club. ]

Philip: Sorry, Robbie. Sorry to be late this morning, but, well, we've still got some time for a cup of coffee. I can't wait to see my old pal Charley Rafer.

抱歉,罗比。今天早上来晚了,不过我们还有时间喝杯咖啡。我真等不及想见见我的老朋友查理·雷弗了。

Robbie: Neither can I.

我也等不及了。

[ They go into the kitchen. ]

Philip: So you thought about it, huh?

这么说你已经考虑过了,是吗?

Robbie: Yes, I have, Dad.

是的,爸爸,我考虑过了。

Philip: Well, I'm glad.  I knew you'd realize that this interview could be an important experience for you.

那就好,我很高兴。我知道你会意识到这次面试对你来说会是一次很重要的经历。

Robbie: I came to that conclusion.

我确实也是这么想的。

Philip: That's very wise, Robbie. Very wise. Now let's head off for the city and the university club.

这很明智,罗比,非常明智。现在我们进城去大学俱乐部吧。

Robbie: Thanks, Dad.

谢谢你,爸爸。

Philip: Thanks ... for what?

谢我什么?

Robbie: Thanks for hearing me out. And ...

谢谢你愿意听我把话说完。而且…

Philip: And ...?

而且…?

Robbie: And thanks for being such an understanding father.

还要谢谢你是个这么善解人意的爸爸。

Philip: Well, thank you, Robbie. Thank you.

嗯,谢谢你,罗比。谢谢。

[ In an office at the university club. Dean Rafer greets Philip and Robbie. ]

Dean: [entering] Philip Stewart! It's great to see you!

菲利普·斯图尔特!真高兴见到你!

Philip: Charley Rafer --you look as young as ever.

查理·雷弗——你看起来还是那么年轻。

[ They hug. ]

Dean: You must be Robbie.

你一定就是罗比吧。

Robbie: Hi.

你好。

Philip: Yes, this is my youngest son Robbie. Robbie, I want you to meet one of the best tennis players on the Michigan team --Charley Rafer.

是的,这是我的小儿子罗比。罗比,我想让你认识一下当年密歇根校队最优秀的网球选手之一——查理·雷弗。

Robbie: Nice to meet you, Dean Rafer.

很高兴见到您,雷弗主任。

Dean: Well, are you as good a tennis player as your dad?

那么,你网球打得跟你爸爸一样好吗?

Robbie: No, I'm not very good at it.

不,我网球打得不太好。

Philip: Frankly, neither was I. Charley was the star of the team.

坦白说,我当年打得也不怎么样。查理才是队里的明星。

Dean: Yeah. Thanks. Well, how've you been, Philip?

是吗,谢谢。对了,菲利普,你这些年过得怎么样?

Philip: Oh, working too hard.

噢,老样子,忙得不可开交。

Dean: Doesn't show. How's Ellen?

可一点都看不出来。埃伦怎么样?

Philip: Fine, thank you. And how's Marge?

她很好,谢谢。玛吉怎么样?

Dean: She's still giving the toughest English history exams in the school and loving every minute of it. And speaking of minutes, I have interviews until noon, so why don't we get right to work?

她还是照样出全校最难的英国文学史考试题,而且还乐在其中。说到时间,我从现在到中午还有不少面试,所以咱们直接开始吧?

Philip: Can you have lunch with us later?

待会儿能跟我们一起吃午饭吗?

Dean: I'd love to, Philip, but I'm afraid I can't. I'm only here two days, and I have interviews with twenty-six applicants.

我很想,菲利普,不过恐怕不行。我只在这儿待两天,还要面试二十六位申请人。

Philip: I understand. Well, thanks. I'll wait outside. [ to Robbie ] Good luck, Son. [ He leaves. ]

我明白。那谢谢了。我在外面等你。祝你好运,儿子。

Dean: Did you bring your transcript from high school?

你把高中的成绩单带来了吗?

Robbie: Yes, sir. Right here.

带来了,先生。在这儿。

Dean: Thank you. Please sit down. I see under "activities" that you've been writing for the school paper.

谢谢。请坐。我看到你在“活动”一栏里写着,你一直在为校报写文章。

Robbie: Yes, sir.

是的,先生。

Dean: What kinds of articles have you written?

你都写过哪些类型的文章?

Robbie: All kinds --sports, editorials, theater reviews. You name it, I've written it.

各种各样的——体育、社论、剧评。凡是你能想到的,我都写过。

Dean: Hmmm. Well, have you ever thought of becoming a journalist?

嗯。那么,你有没有想过当一名记者?

Robbie: A professional writer? Not until recently.

职业作家?直到最近我才开始考虑这个方向。

Dean: Michigan has a fine School of Journalism.

密歇根大学的新闻学院是非常出色的。

Robbie: Yes, I know that.

是的,我知道。

Dean: You seem to have some reservations.

不过看起来你还有些迟疑。

Robbie: I'm a little uncertain.

我还有点拿不定主意。

[ We see Philip nervously waiting outside the office. Dean Rafer has finished interviewing Robbie. ]

Dean: [ to Robbie ] It's been very nice talking to you.

跟你聊得很愉快。

Robbie: Nice talking to you, sir.

我也很高兴能和您聊天,先生。

Dean: One piece of advice. The most important thing is for you to decide your own future.

送你一句话:最重要的事情,莫过于你要亲自决定自己的未来。

Robbie: Yes, sir. Good-bye, Dean Rafer.

好的,先生。再见,雷弗主任。

Dean: Good-bye, Robbie. Good luck.

再见,罗比。祝你好运。

单词列表

17
old pal/ əʊld pæl /n. 老友
conclusion/ kənˈkluːʒn /n. 结论
wise */ waɪz /adj. 明智的
hear out/ hɪə(r) aʊt /v. 倾听
understanding/ ˌʌndəˈstændɪŋ /n. 理解
frankly/ ˈfræŋkli /n. 坦诚地
star */ stɑː(r) /n. 明星
tough */ tʌf /adj. 困难的
transcript/ ˈtrænskrɪpt /n. 成绩单
activity */ ækˈtɪvəti /n. 活动
editorial/ ˌedɪˈtɔːriəl /n. 社论
review */ rɪˈvjuː /n. 评论
name */ neɪm /v. 说出…的名称
journalism/ ˈdʒɜːnəlɪz(ə)m /n. 新闻专业
reservation/ ˌrezəˈveɪʃn /n. 存疑,保留
uncertain/ ʌnˈsɜːt(ə)n /adj. 不确实的
nervously/ ˈnɜːvəsli /adv. 焦急地