Episode 18 Making a Difference ACT III

当仁不让 第三幕

In Act Three, Richard and Robbie make a video tape of Ellen as she gives her campaign speech. And Richard figures out a way for people to see the video tape. Later, the family listens to the election news. Will Ellen win the election?

[ Inside the house, Richard is playing back a videotape of Ellen's TV campaign message on a small screen. ]

Ellen: ...my slogan is "I care". I care about people, not things. Vote for me, Ellen Stewart. I care. How was it?

……我的口号是“我在乎”。我在乎的是人,而不是冷冰冰的物件。请投我埃伦·斯图尔特一票,我在乎!感觉怎么样?

Richard: You were terrific!

你讲得棒极了!

Ellen: Can I see it?

能让我看看吗?

Richard: Sure.

当然可以。

[ Richard rewinds and plays back the recorded message. ]

Ellen: Hello. My name is Ellen Stewart, and I'm running for the open seat on the school board. My slogan is "I care". What does the word care mean?... I care about people, not things. Vote for me, Ellen Stewart. I care.

大家好。我是埃伦·斯图尔特,正在竞选教育委员会空缺的席位。我的竞选口号是“我在乎”。“在乎”这两个字意味着什么呢?……我在乎的是人,而不是冷冰冰的物件。请投我埃伦·斯图尔特一票,我在乎。

Philip: I like it, but now what? How can we possibly get it on so Riverdale will see it and hear it?

讲得真好。不过接下来怎么办?我们怎么才能把这段宣传片放出去,让里弗代尔的大伙儿都能看到听见呢?

Richard: Leave it to me.

交给我吧!

[ Cut to various electronics stores across town. Every TV display is playing Ellen's speech simultaneously. Later, back in the living room. ]

Ellen: ...I mean that when I say "I care". I care about people, not things. Vote for me, Ellen Stewart. I care.

……我说“我在乎”,我是认真的。我在乎的是人,而不是冷冰冰的物件。请投我埃伦·斯图尔特一票,我在乎。

Marilyn: What happened?

发生什么事了?

Richard: Mom is now on television in every appliance store in Riverdale, except Hamlin's. He's a Boswell voter.

现在全里弗代尔每家家电卖场的电视屏幕上都在播老妈的宣传片呢!除了汉姆林那家——他可是博斯韦尔的铁杆支持者。

Philip: That's a brilliant idea, Richard!

理查德,这绝招太绝了!

Grandpa: You inherited your father's brains.

你继承了你爸的好脑子。

Philip: We got our brains from you, Dad.

爸,我们这脑子还不都是遗传自您。

Richard: And guess what? I called Channel 5. Their TV news is going to cover it. "Housewife campaigns in appliance stores." And I'll bet some magazine will pick up the story, too.

还有个好消息!我给5频道打电话了,他们的电视新闻要报道这件事,题目就叫“家庭主妇在卖场电视展开竞选”。我敢说,肯定还会有些杂志来跟进报道的!

Robbie: Mom, you're going to win! I know it!

老妈,你赢定了!我敢保证!

Philip: Hold it, Robbie! Just cool down. I know we're getting some attention now, but in the end the voters will have to decide.

先别急,罗比!冷静点。我知道我们现在吸引了不少关注,但归根结底还是得看选民投不投票。

Grandpa: You're going to win. Trust me!

你会赢的,相信我!

[ Election night. The family gathers around the TV to watch the election broadcast. ]

Reporter: In the hotly contested race for the one seat on the Riverdale School Board, Mrs. Ellen Stewart has taken an early lead.

在里弗代尔教育委员会唯一席位的激烈角逐中,埃伦·斯图尔特夫人目前暂时领先。

Robbie: She's winning! Mom, you're winning!

老妈要赢了!妈,你领跑呢!

Reporter: Now returning to other local news... Riverdale High School beat its rival Horace Mann in baseball today...

下面转入其他本地新闻……里弗代尔高中今天在棒球赛中击败了老对手霍勒斯·曼高中……

Ellen: It's too soon to know for certain.

现在说输赢还太早了。

Philip: You're ahead. That's better than being behind.

但你现在领先着呢,总比落后强。

Reporter: More sports after this.

广告之后,为您带来更多体育赛事报道。

Ellen: It's not over yet. Let's just all calm down, and wait for the final results.

尘埃还没落定呢。大家都冷静下来,安心等最后的结果吧。

Grandpa: Ellen, why don't you go out to the backyard and get some fresh air?

埃伦,要不你去后院透透气、散散心?

Ellen: Thank you, Grandpa. I need some.

谢谢爷爷,我确实需要呼吸一下新鲜空气。

[ Later. Ellen returns from the backyard to hear the final results. ]

Ellen: What happened?

怎么样了?

Philip: You came very close, Ellen.

只差了一点点,埃伦。

Grandpa: You lost by only a hundred and twenty-one votes.

你只落后了一百二十一票。

Ellen: I lost.

我输了。

Richard: You tried, Mom.

你已经尽力了,老妈。

Marilyn: You lost by a very small number of votes.

其实就差那么微乎其微的一点点票数。

Robbie: Only one hundred and twenty-one votes! I'm sorry, Mom.

就差一百二十一票!真可惜,老妈。

Ellen: There just wasn't enough time.

主要还是时间太仓促了。

Philip: Look, you've made a very strong impression on our community. You'll have another chance next election.

听我说,你已经给全镇居民留下了极其深刻的印象。下一次选举你肯定还有机会的。

[ The phone rings. Philip answers it. ]

Philip: Hello. Oh, yes, yes, Mr. Maxwell.

喂,您好。哦,是的,是的,马克斯韦尔先生。

[ Philip hands the phone to Ellen. ]

Ellen: Hello, Mr. Maxwell.

您好,马克斯韦尔先生。

Maxwell: How are you? I just called to tell you that you are very impressive. You lost the election, but you won the attention of the residents of Riverdale, of Boswell, and of me.

你还好吗?我打电话来是想告诉你,你的表现令人刮目相看。你虽然输掉了选举,却赢得了整个里弗代尔居民、博斯韦尔以及我的关注。

Ellen: Well, thank you, Mr. Maxwell. I appreciate your kind words. I needed that.

谢谢您,马克斯韦尔先生。非常感谢您的鼓励,我现在正需要这些温暖的话。

Maxwell: I hear Boswell wants to appoint you to a special arts committee. I'm sending over a reporter in the morning to interview you.

听说博斯韦尔想委任你加入一个专门的艺术委员会。我明天早上派个记者过去采访你。

Ellen: You are?

真的吗?

Maxwell: I'm going to do an article on "Ellen Stewart—she cares." Maybe we'll all care now. Good-bye.

我准备做一篇专题报道,就叫《埃伦·斯图尔特——她在乎》。或许现在大家都会开始在乎了。再见。

Ellen: Thank you—and good-bye.

谢谢您,再见。

[ Ellen hangs up the phone. ]

Philip: What was that about?

怎么说?发生什么事了?

Ellen: You were right, Philip. I did make a difference in town.

你说得对,菲利普。我确实给这个小镇带来了改变。

Robbie: And in this family.

也给我们这个家带来了改变!

本课重点词汇

0 个相关单词