Episode 13 A Real Stewart ACT I

一个真正的斯图尔特家的后代 第一幕

[ Ellen Stewart and her daughter Susan are in Richard and Marilyn's room. They are preparing the room for the arrival of Richard and Marilyn's new baby, Max. ]

Ellen: There's nothing more joyous than the arrival of a new baby.

没有什么比新生儿的到来更让人高兴的了。

Susan: I am so excited. Mother! Just imagine --Marilyn and Richard must be thrilled! Oh, a new baby!

我太兴奋了!妈妈!你想想——玛丽莲和理查德一定高兴坏了!噢,一个小宝宝!

Ellen: Max ... Max ... Max. Oh, it's a sweet-sounding name for a sweet little boy. My first grandchild.

马克斯… 马克斯… 马克斯。噢,这名字真好听,特别适合这个可爱的小男孩。我的第一个孙子。

Susan: And my first nephew. [ She looks at some photos of Max. ] Isn't he just adorable? He looks a lot like you, Mom. He does.

也是我的第一个外甥。他真是太可爱了!妈妈,他长得特别像你。真的很像。

Ellen: Do you think so? [ She looks at one of the photos. ] Well, I guess. He does look a lot like Richard, and I guess he looks a lot like me. Oh, he's got Richard's eyes, though.

你真这么觉得?嗯,我想也是。他确实很像理查德,我想也有点像我。不过,他的眼睛倒是很像理查德。

Susan: I really want Harry and Michelle to see Max.

我真希望哈里和米歇尔也能看看马克斯。

Ellen: When are they coming?

他们什么时候来?

Susan: Tomorrow. Harry has an account to work on today. Yes, he does have Richard's eyes. Big blue eyes. The baby even looks at you like Richard does.

明天。哈里今天还有客户的工作要处理。是啊,他的眼睛确实像理查德。蓝蓝的大眼睛。连看人的神情都跟理查德一样。

Ellen: Well, children usually resemble their parents.

嗯,孩子一般都会像父母。

Susan: It's true. Michelle is a lot like Harry in so many ways. And she's shy with new people, just like he is.

确实。米歇尔很多地方都像哈里。而且她见到陌生人也会害羞,跟他一模一样。

Ellen: You really like Michelle, don't you?

你真的很喜欢米歇尔,是吧?

Susan: Yes. I'm very fond of her.

是啊,我很喜欢她。

Ellen: And Harry, too? [ She looks at her watch. ]

那哈里呢?

Susan: Well ...

这个嘛…

Ellen: Uh, it's four-thirty. Oh my! Marilyn and Richard will be home from the hospital any minute, and we must prepare this room.

啊,四点半了。天哪!玛丽莲和理查德随时都会从医院回来,我们得赶紧把房间准备好。

Susan: Where will we put all the presents?

这些礼物放哪儿呢?

Ellen: Well, let's take everything to the living room. Marilyn and Richard and the baby need the space. It's crowded in here.

嗯,我们把东西都搬到客厅去吧。玛丽莲、理查德和宝宝需要空间,这里太挤了。

Grandpa: [ He enters. ] The welcome sign is up: "Welcome home, Max."

欢迎标语已经挂好了:“欢迎回家,马克斯。”

Ellen: Isn't it exciting, Grandpa?

是不是特别让人兴奋,爷爷?

Susan: Your first great-grandchild.

你的第一个曾孙。

Grandpa: Yes. Yes, sir. A great-grandchild. A great-grandson. Another generation to carry on the Stewart name.

是啊。没错。一个曾孙。一个曾孙子。又有新一代来继承斯图尔特家的姓氏了。

Susan: I love you, Grandpa. [ She hugs him. ] You make me feel so proud to be part of our family.

我爱你,爷爷。你让我为自己是这个家的一员感到特别骄傲。

Grandpa: And one day, you'll have your own family, and I'll be proud to be part of it.

总有一天,你也会拥有自己的家庭,到时候我也会为自己是其中一员而骄傲。

Ellen: Now you understand my feelings, Susan. I'm Grandpa's daughter-in-law, but I feel like a Stewart. He's always made me feel like his own daughter.

现在你能明白我的感受了吧,苏珊。我虽然是爷爷的儿媳妇,但我一直觉得自己就是斯图尔特家的人。他一直把我当亲生女儿一样对待。

Grandpa: Well, that's because you're so much like us --wonderful!

那是因为你跟我们一样——都这么棒!

[ They all laugh. Susan and Ellen kiss Grandpa. ]


[ in the living room a little while later. Susan, Ellen, and Grandpa are wrapping some gifts for the new baby. ]

Susan: [ She walks into the living room and shows her mother that she has the wrapping paper for the baby's presents. ] Mom, got it.

妈妈,我拿到了。

Susan: [ She sits down and looks at the baby album that she has bought for Richard and Marilyn. ] This will make a nice gift for Marilyn and Richard.

这个送给玛丽莲和理查德当礼物挺不错的。

Susan: They can keep a record of all of the important dates and information about Max's life here. Let's see. [ She takes a pen from the desk drawer and begins to write. ]

他们可以把马克斯成长过程中的重要日期和资料都记在这里。我看看。

Grandpa: Name: Max Stewart. [ to Ellen ] Does he have a middle name?

名字:马克斯·斯图尔特。他有中间名吗?

Ellen: No, just Max. I like that. No middle name. No middle initial.

没有,就叫马克斯。我喜欢这样。没有中间名,也没有中间名缩写。

Grandpa: Like me. I'm Malcolm Stewart. Just Malcolm Stewart.

跟我一样。我叫马尔科姆·斯图尔特。就只是马尔科姆·斯图尔特。

Susan: And Max has your initials, Grandpa: M.S.

而且马克斯跟你的名字缩写一样,爷爷,都是 M.S。

Ellen: Uh, it must mean something.

嗯,这肯定有什么特别的意义。

Susan: Weight: eight pounds six ounces. [ She writes in the baby album. ]

体重:八磅六盎司。

Grandpa: Eight-six. Big boy! All the Stewart men were big.

八磅六盎司。好家伙,真够壮实的!我们斯图尔特家的爷们儿出生时个头都不小。

Ellen: Well, Robbie was eight pounds two ounces, and Richard was eight pounds three.

嗯,罗比出生时是八磅二盎司,理查德是八磅三盎司。

Susan: And me?

那我呢?

Ellen: Eight pounds six. You were big, just like Max.

八磅六。你当时也挺大的,跟马克斯一样。

Susan: Eight pounds six, just like me. That's nice. Length. Length?

八磅六,跟我一样。真不错。身长。身长是多少?

Ellen: Richard says Max is twenty-one inches long.

理查德说马克斯身长二十一英寸。

Susan: [ still writing ] Twenty-one inches. Is that tall or average or what?

二十一英寸。这算高的,还是普通水平?

Grandpa: Tall. All the Stewart men are tall.

算高的。斯图尔特家的男人都长得高。

Ellen: Well, Grandpa, you're about five-nine or five-ten. I wouldn't call that tall.

得了吧爷爷,你也就五英尺九英寸或者十英寸(约175-178cm),我可不觉得这算高。

Grandpa: I take after my mother's family. They were ... they were ... they were average.

我是像我妈妈那边的人。他们… 他们… 他们个头都只能算中等。

Susan: [ still writing ] Mother: Marilyn. Father: Richard. [ She turns the pages of the book. ] And lots of pages for Richard's photos of Max.

母亲:玛丽莲。父亲:理查德。还有很多页可以放理查德给马克斯拍的照片。

Grandpa: Speaking of mother and of father --and speaking of Max-- I hear the car. They're here!

说到爸爸妈妈——还有马克斯——我听见车声了。他们到了!

Ellen: Oh! Oh, quickly! Go, go, go!

噢!快点快点!快去!

[ Ellen, Susan, and Grandpa rush to open the door. Marilyn, Richard, Philip, and Robbie enter the house. Marilyn is carrying Max. ]

Ellen: Let's see. Oh, welcome home. Oh, let her in. [ to Richard ] Wait with your pictures for a second. Come on, darlings. [ to the baby ]  Sweetheart .... Sit down right here. [ She walks with them into the living room ]

让我看看。噢,欢迎回家。快让她进来。你先别急着拍照。来吧,亲爱的们。小宝贝……坐这儿,坐这儿。

Susan: Oh, he's so cute! Oh, Marilyn!

噢,他太可爱了!噢,玛丽莲!

Robbie: Max looks just like Grandpa.

马克斯长得真像爷爷。

Grandpa: A real Stewart.

不愧是斯图尔特家的人。

Marilyn: I'm so happy to be home with my family --and with Max.

能回到家,和家人在一起——还有和马克斯在一起,我真开心。

[ The family continues to play with Max. ]

本课重点词汇

12 个相关单词

joyous

/ ˈdʒɔɪəs / adj. 令人高兴的

adorable

/ əˈdɔːrəb(ə)l / adj. 讨人喜欢的

resemble

/ rɪˈzemb(ə)l / v. 与…相似

fond

/ fɒnd / adj. 喜欢的

crowded

/ ˈkraʊdɪd / adj. 塞满的

great-grandchild

/ 'greɪt'græntʃaɪld / n. 曾孙

generation *

/ ˌdʒenəˈreɪʃ(ə)n / n. 一代(人)

initial *

/ ɪˈnɪʃ(ə)l / n. (姓名的)首字母

ounce

/ aʊns / n. 盎司

average *

/ ˈævərɪdʒ / adj. 普通的

sweetheart

/ ˈswiːthɑːt / n. 甜心

speaking

/ ˈspiːkɪŋ / n. 说到、聊到、说起