Episode 12 You're Tops ACT III

顶尖高手 第三幕

[ The next morning. Grandpa is in John Marchetta's office. He is waiting for Mr. Marchetta to enter. ]

Grandpa: Hi. I'm Malcolm Stewart.

你好。我是马尔科姆·斯图尔特。

Marchetta: John Marchetta. Sit down, sit down.

我是约翰·马切塔。请坐,请坐。

Grandpa: Susan has told me a great deal about you. She says you're quite a man.

苏珊跟我说了很多关于你的事。她说你是个很了不起的人。

Marchetta: She says a lot of wonderful things about you too, Mr. Stewart.

她也说了你很多了不起的事,斯图尔特先生。

Grandpa: That's always nice to hear, Mr. Marchetta.

听到这些总是让人很开心,马切塔先生。

Marchetta: Call me John. May I call you Malcolm?

叫我约翰吧。我可以叫你马尔科姆吗?

[ Grandpa nods. ]

Marchetta: Let's talk business.

我们来谈正事吧。

Grandpa: That's music to my ears.

这正合我意。

Marchetta: I understand you used to be in the construction business.

听说你以前是做建筑这一行的。

Grandpa: Yup. Forty-three years. Here's a brief description of forty-three years of on-the-job training. [ He gives Mr. Marchetta his résumé ]

没错。四十三年。这是我四十三年工作经历的简要介绍。

Marchetta: That is some history! You're a valuable asset, Malcolm. Very valuable.

这履历可真了不起!你是非常宝贵的人才,马尔科姆。非常宝贵。

Grandpa: Thank you. Yup. Forty-three years. Half that time in my own construction company. Big jobs--factories, shopping malls. That kind of thing.

谢谢。是啊,四十三年。其中一半时间是在我自己的建筑公司里干的。大型工程——工厂、购物中心之类的。

Marchetta: Then you retired.

后来你退休了。

Grandpa: Yes.  After my wife died, and I felt I should spend more time with my children and grandchildren. I lived in Florida, and they lived in New York.

是的。妻子去世以后,我觉得应该多陪陪孩子和孙辈。我住在佛罗里达,他们住在纽约。

Marchetta: I understand. My daughter Cami lives in New York. I like being near her.

我能理解。我女儿卡米也住在纽约。我喜欢离她近一点。

Grandpa: When I came here, I planned to take a few months off. Relax with the family and then look for some work.

我刚搬来这里时,打算先休息几个月。陪陪家人,放松一下,然后再找点事情做。

Grandpa: Put my experience on the line ... but, unfortunately, there isn't any work for a retired person my age.

把我的这一身经验重新带回商场……但很可惜,像我这个年纪的退休老人,社会上几乎不给机会了。

Marchetta: Sometimes there is, and sometimes there isn't. Well, I'm involved with an organization, and we're trying to resolve that problem.

有时候有,有时候没有。嗯,我参加了一个组织,我们正努力解决这个问题。

Grandpa: What's that?

什么组织?

Marchetta: TOPS. T-O-P-S--means Talented Older People's Society.

TOPS。T-O-P-S,意思是“优秀长者协会”。

Grandpa: I'd like to be a member. How much are the dues?

我想加入。会费是多少?

Marchetta: There are no dues. The organization serves major companies in this city. Why?

没有会费。这个组织为本市的大公司提供服务。为什么这么问?

Marchetta: Because our members are men and women like you. Experienced, talented, retired. But our members want to go out there and use their talents. They want to work.

因为我们的会员都是像你这样的人。有经验、有才能,也已经退休。但他们还是希望出去发挥自己的才能,他们还想工作。

Grandpa: That is fantastic, John!

这太棒了,约翰!

Marchetta: I've got an idea for you, Malcolm. Just fill out this form for me. It'll only take a few minutes. Sit right here, and do it while I talk to my secretary.

我有个想法,马尔科姆。先帮我把这张表填一下,只要几分钟。你就坐在这里填,我去跟秘书说几句话。

Marchetta: When I get back, we'll talk about my new factory. My company is a member of TOPS. So I try hard to find opportunities for people like you. Malcolm.

等我回来,我们再谈谈我的新工厂。我的公司也是TOPS的成员,所以我一直努力帮像你这样的人寻找机会,马尔科姆。

Marchetta: And when I see an opportunity, I can act on it. Well, I can use your brainpower on the job right now.

而且一旦发现机会,我就会立刻行动。其实,我现在就能在工作上用到你的经验和智慧。

Marchetta: Have you got time this morning to go over to the construction site with me?  I'd like to have you meet my foreman--get some background on the job.

今天上午你有时间跟我一起去工地看看吗?我想让你见见我的工头,也顺便了解一下这个项目的情况。

Grandpa: I've got plenty of time.

我时间多得很。

Marchetta: I'll be right back. We'll go over to the job site together.

我马上回来。等会儿我们一起去工地。

[ At the job site later that morning. Grandpa and Mr. Marchetta are speaking with Danny, the foreman of the construction project. ]

Danny: Malcolm, you worked on the Spaceport project?

马尔科姆,你当年参加过‘太空港’的工程?

Grandpa: My company was the contractor. I built the theater there with my own two hands, practically.

我的公司是承包商。那里的剧院几乎可以说是我亲手建起来的。

Danny: I understand.

明白了。

Marchetta: Well, I'm glad to see you two guys getting along so well because, Danny, Malcolm is on the TOPS team. He's going to be working with you for a while. His experience will be valuable to both of us.

嗯,看到你们俩这么投缘我很高兴。丹尼,马尔科姆现在是TOPS团队的一员了。他会跟你一起工作一段时间。他的经验对我们俩都会很有帮助。

Danny: Welcome aboard, Malcolm!

欢迎加入,马尔科姆!

Marchetta: I'm going back to my office. Give me a call later, Malcolm.  I'll tell you the time and date of the next TOPS meeting. I'd like you to meet the group.

我要回办公室了。晚点给我打个电话,马尔科姆。我会告诉你下次TOPS聚会的时间和日期。我想让你认识一下大家。

Grandpa: I will, John. And again--thanks.

好的,约翰。还有,再次谢谢你。

Marchetta: No ... thank you. And thank Susan. [ He leaves. ]

不……是我要谢谢你。还有,替我谢谢苏珊。

Grandpa: He's quite a man.

他真是个了不起的人。

Danny: A real inspiration for me.

他真是我的榜样。

Grandpa: OK, Danny. I know you didn't expect to have me around, but I think I can be of some help to you.

好了,丹尼。我知道你没想到我会来,不过我觉得自己应该能帮上点忙。

Danny: Let me tell you something, Malcolm. With your background and experience, I can learn something ... and I do need some advice on a difficult problem. Let me show you this.

我跟你说,马尔科姆。凭你的背景和经验,我肯定能学到不少东西……而且我现在确实有个难题想请教你。你看看这个。

Grandpa: [ He looks at Danny's building plans. ] I don't want to give you a final opinion without studying these building plans more carefully. But a simple solution might be to move the air-conditioning units instead of redesigning the entire system. It might be simpler and less expensive.

在仔细研究这些建筑图纸之前,我不想轻易下最后结论。不过,一个简单的办法也许是移动空调设备的位置,而不是重新设计整个系统。这样可能更简单,成本也更低。

Danny: You just earned your weight in gold, Malcolm. Welcome aboard!

马尔科姆,你这一句话就值千金啊!欢迎加入团队!

[ in Susan's office that afternoon. Grandpa is telling Susan about his meeting with the foreman Danny. ]

Grandpa: It all happened so quickly! I can't believe it!

一切发生得太快了!我简直不敢相信!

Susan: I'm glad Mr. Marchetta was so helpful.

我很高兴马切塔先生这么帮你。

Grandpa: He was more than helpful. He actually took me to meet his foreman.

他可不只是帮忙而已。他还亲自带我去见了工头。

Susan: I'm thrilled for you, Grandpa.

爷爷,我真替你高兴。

Grandpa: I don't know how to thank you, Susan. You're a wonderful granddaughter.

我真不知道该怎么谢谢你,苏珊。你真是个好孙女。

Susan: It's good to see you so happy.

看到你这么开心,我也很高兴。

Grandpa: I'll be at the construction site tomorrow. What are you doing tomorrow night?

我明天要去工地。你明晚有什么安排?

Susan: I'm not doing anything. Why?

我没什么安排。怎么了?

Grandpa: How about a date with your grandfather? I owe you a good steak dinner.

要不要跟爷爷约个会?我请客,带你去吃顶级牛排。

Susan: I'll accept.  Tomorrow night. You and me. Dinner. What time?

我接受。明晚。你和我。一起吃晚饭。几点?

Grandpa: I'll pick you up here at seven. Is that OK?

我七点来这里接你,可以吗?

Susan: I can't wait! And you can tell me all about your first full day back on the job.

我都等不及了!到时候你可得好好跟我讲讲你复工第一天的情况。

Grandpa: It's a deal!

一言为定,不见不散!

[ They shake hands and hug. ]

本课重点词汇

30 个相关单词

quite *

/ kwaɪt / adv. 出众的,了不起的

brief *

/ briːf / adj. 短暂的;简短的

on-the-job

/ 'ɒnðə'dʒɒb / adj. 在职的

asset *

/ ˈæset / n. 有价值的人

take off *

/ teɪk ɒf / v. (从工作中)脱离;休息

involved *

/ ɪnˈvɒlvd / v. 涉及;参与

organization *

/ ˌɔːɡənaɪˈzeɪʃn / n. 组织,机构

resolve

/ rɪˈzɒlv / v. 解决

member *

/ ˈmembə(r) / n. 成员

dues

/ djuːz / n. 会费

experienced

/ ɪkˈspɪəriənst / adj. 经验丰富的

retired

/ rɪˈtaɪəd / adj. 退休的

brainpower

/ ˈbreɪnpaʊə(r) / n. 智慧

spaceport

/ ˈspeɪsˌpɔːt / n. 太空港

project *

/ ˈprɒdʒekt; prəˈdʒekt / n. 项目

contractor

/ kənˈtræktə(r); ˈkɒntræktə(r) / n. 承包商

theater

/ ˈθɪətə(r) / n. 戏院

practically

/ ˈpræktɪkli / adv. 几乎,差不多

aboard *

/ əˈbɔːd / adv. 加入,加盟

study *

/ ˈstʌdi / v. 研究;仔细看

carefully

/ ˈkeəfəli / adv. 仔细地

simple *

/ ˈsɪmp(ə)l / adj. 简单的

air-conditioning

/ ˈeə kəndɪʃənɪŋ / n. 空调

units

/ ˈjuːnɪts / n. 单元

redesign

/ ˌriːdɪˈzaɪn / v. 重新规划

earned

/ ɜ:nd / v. 挣得(钱、名声)

weight *

/ weɪt / n. 影响力,重要性

thrilled

/ θrɪld / adj. 非常兴奋

owe

/ əʊ / v. 应该感激;归功于

get along

/ ɡet əˈlɔŋ / v. 相处