Episode 10 Smell the Flowers ACT II

偷得浮生半日闲 第二幕

Watch the video then answer the question:

[ In the reception room of Susan's office. Susan greets Harry and Michelle. ]

Susan: Hi, Michelle. Hello, Harry. It's nice to see you again.

嗨,米歇尔。你好,哈里。很高兴又见到你们。

Michelle: Hello.

你好。

Harry: Hi, Susan. We have both been excited about seeing you and having lunch with you today. [ He hands Susan a bouquet of flowers. ] Michelle picked these flowers out for you.

嗨,苏珊。我们俩今天都很期待见到你,和你一起吃午饭。这些花是米歇尔特地帮你挑的。

Michelle: Daddy, can we go soon?

爸爸,我们能快点走吗?

Harry: We're going to go to lunch in a few minutes, honey.

宝贝,我们一会儿就去吃午饭。

Michelle: But I'm thirsty.

可是我渴了。

Harry: OK. You go out and get a drink of water at the fountain.

好吧。你出去到饮水机那儿喝点水吧。

Susan: [ pointing ] The fountain is over there, Michelle. Near the Exit sign.

饮水机在那边,米歇尔,就在出口标志旁边。

Michelle: Thank you.

谢谢。

Harry: Michelle is a little shy.

米歇尔有点害羞。

Susan: I used to be that way when I was her age. Harry, if Michelle doesn't want to go, we don't have to.

我像她这么大的时候也这样。哈里,如果米歇尔不想去,我们可以不去。

Harry: She'll be fine. Remember, I haven't dated anyone else since her mother died. This is a little difficult for her. Are you ready to go?

她会没事的。别忘了,自从她妈妈去世以后,我就没和别的女人约会过。这对她来说有点难接受。你准备好了吗?

Susan: Yes. But could you wait one minute?  I have a call to make. Would you excuse me? [ She goes into her office. Sam is there. ] Sam, get Mr. Levine at Toytown Stores on the telephone for me, please.

好了。不过你能稍等一下吗?我得打个电话。失陪一下。萨姆,请帮我接通 Toytown Stores 的莱文先生。

Sam: Right. [ He dials. ] Hello. Susan Stewart calling Mr. Levine, please. [ to Susan ] He's on the phone. [ He hands her the telephone. ]

好的。喂,苏珊·斯图尔特,麻烦帮我接莱文先生。苏珊,他在线上。

Susan: Mr. Levine, Susan Stewart. I find myself in an embarrassing situation. I made another lunch date for today and forgot to enter it in my appointment book. Can you and I meet for drinks tomorrow? I'd really appreciate it... Yes... Thank you... Tomorrow at five o'clock at the Biltmore. I'll see you then. Thank you, Mr. Levine. [ She hangs up. ]

莱文先生,我是苏珊·斯图尔特。我现在碰上了一件很尴尬的事。我今天另外约了人吃午饭,却忘了记在日程本上。我们能不能改成明天傍晚一起坐坐?那我真是太感激了… 好的… 谢谢你… 明天下午五点,在比尔特莫尔饭店。到时候见。谢谢你,莱文先生。

[ At the South Street Seaport later that afternoon. ]

Waiter: Welcome to the South Street restaurant, folks. What'll it be?

欢迎来到南街餐厅,各位。想吃点什么?

Harry: What do you recommend?

你有什么推荐吗?

Waiter: Well, the crab salad's always a big hit.

嗯,蟹肉沙拉一直都很受欢迎。

Harry: Susan, would you like the crab salad?

苏珊,你想来份蟹肉沙拉吗?

Susan: I'd love the crab salad.

我很想吃蟹肉沙拉。

Harry: Michelle, would you like to try the crab salad, too?

米歇尔,你也想试试蟹肉沙拉吗?

Michelle: OK, Daddy.

好呀,爸爸。

Harry: We'll have three crab salads and a pitcher of lemonade.

那我们要三份蟹肉沙拉,再来一壶柠檬水。

Waiter: Help yourself to celery and carrots and other vegetables.

芹菜、胡萝卜和其他蔬菜请随便取用。

Michelle: [ to Susan ] We used to catch crabs.

我们以前常常抓螃蟹。

Susan: Where was that?

在哪儿抓的?

Harry: We had a summer house on Fire Island. Do you remember, Michelle?

我们以前在火岛有一栋避暑别墅。你还记得吗,米歇尔?

Michelle: Sure. You and Mommy used to take me on the ferryboat.

当然记得。你和妈妈以前常带我坐渡船。

Michelle: Sometimes, at night, we would go down to the beach and catch crabs, remember?

有时候晚上,我们会去海边抓螃蟹,还记得吗?

Michelle: With a piece of meat on a string!

用一块肉拴在绳子上!

Harry: Right. Well, I think I'm going to go get us all some vegetables.

对。好啦,我去给大家拿点蔬菜。

[ Harry leaves the table. The waiter arrives and sets down their food. ]

Waiter: There you go.

请慢用。

Susan: Thank you.

谢谢。

Waiter: And some ice-cold lemonade.

还有冰镇柠檬水。

Susan: Thank you.

谢谢。

Waiter: Enjoy it.

祝用餐愉快。

Susan: Michelle, can I help you with the lemonade?

米歇尔,要我帮你倒柠檬水吗?

Michelle: No, thank you. I'll wait for my father.

不用了,谢谢。我等爸爸回来。

Susan: Michelle, can we have a talk?

米歇尔,我们聊聊好吗?

Michelle: Sure.

好啊。

Susan: I know you miss your mother.

我知道你很想妈妈。

Michelle: You do?

你知道?

Susan: Yes. And I'm not trying to take her place.

是的。而且我并不是想取代她。

Michelle: Then why are you and Daddy spending so much time together?

那为什么你和爸爸总是在一起?

Susan: Because we like each other. And right now, he needs a friend.

因为我们彼此喜欢。而且现在,他需要一个朋友。

Michelle: I'm his friend.

我就是他的朋友。

Susan: I know you are.

我知道。

Michelle: Sometimes he's very sad.

他有时候会很难过。

Susan: And so are you, I think.

我想你也是。

Michelle: Sometimes.

有时候吧。

Susan: I'd like to be your friend, too. Will you let me be your friend, Michelle? [ She offers her hand to Michelle. Michelle accepts it. ]

我也想做你的朋友。你愿意让我当你的朋友吗,米歇尔?

Harry: [ He returns to the table. ] So, what were you two talking about?

你们俩刚才聊什么呢?

Michelle: Just girl talk, Daddy.  It's too hard to explain.

只是我们女孩子之间的私心话,爸爸。跟你解释不清楚的。

Harry: You're probably right. Well, let's get started.

你说得对。好啦,我们开始吃吧。

[ They begin to eat. ]

单词列表

12
pick out/ pɪk aʊt /v. 挑选
fountain/ ˈfaʊntən /n. 饮水机;供应饮用水之处
embarrassing/ ɪmˈbærəsɪŋ /adj. 使人尴尬的
situation */ ˌsɪtʃuˈeɪʃ(ə)n /n. 处境
enter */ ˈentə(r) /v. 登记;输入
crab/ kræb /n. 蟹肉
pitcher/ ˈpɪtʃə(r) /n. 大壶
celery/ ˈseləri /n. 芹菜
summer house/ ˈsʌmə haʊs /n. 避暑(房)别墅
beach/ biːtʃ /n. (海边)沙滩
ice-cold/ ˌaɪs ˈkəʊld /adj. 冰冷的
girl talk/ ɡɜːl tɔːk /n. (女生间)悄悄话