Episode 24 Parting Friends ACT I 饯行聚会 第一幕

In Act One, Robbie is thinking about Alexandra and their friendship. Ellen suggests having a special party for Alexandra. And Robbie would like to buy Alexandra a gift. What's the problem?

[ In the kitchen. Ellen is preparing dinner when Robbie walks in with his schoolbooks. ]

Robbie: Hi, Mom.

嗨,妈妈。

Ellen: Hi, Robbie. You're home from school early.

嗨,罗比。你今天放学挺早的嘛。

Robbie: Yeah, they're getting the assembly hall ready for the graduation ceremony, so we all got to go home early. Too noisy to study.

对啊,学校正在布置毕业典礼的礼堂,所以让我们都提前回家了。那边太吵了,根本没法安静复习。

Ellen: Well, now that you're here, you can help me with dinner. I need those potatoes peeled and sliced.

好吧,既然你回来了,那就帮我做晚饭吧。帮我把那些土豆削皮切片。

Robbie: Mom, give me a break! Alexandra's coming over to help me study for my math final.

妈妈,饶了我吧!亚历山德拉待会儿要过来帮我复习期末数学考试呢。

Ellen: Well, in that case, you can wash the dishes and clean up after dinner.

嗯,既然这样,那吃完晚饭后你就负责洗碗和打扫厨房吧。

Robbie: Can I invite Alexandra to stay for dinner?

我能留亚历山德拉一起吃晚饭吗?

Ellen: Of course.

当然可以。

Robbie: Thanks, Mom.

谢谢妈妈。

Ellen: You and Alexandra have become good friends, haven't you?

你和亚历山德拉最近成了挺好的朋友,对吧?

Robbie: Yes. I like her. She's a terrific person. I'm going to miss her when she goes back to Greece.

是的,我很喜欢她。她这人太棒了!等她回希腊之后,我肯定会特别想念她的。

Ellen: Would you like to give her a little farewell party?

你想不想为她办个小型的告别派对?

Robbie: Mom, that would be terrific! Maybe we could make it a surprise.

妈妈,那简直太棒了!要不咱们搞成惊喜派对吧?

Ellen: Oh, I don't know. Surprise parties don't always work out.

噢,这可不好说,惊喜派对有时候往往事与愿违。

Robbie: Well, we could tell her it's a graduation party for me. When Alexandra arrives, we'll surprise her.

我们可以跟她说这是为我举办的毕业庆祝派对,等她一到,咱们再给她个大惊喜!

Ellen: Well, I suppose that might work.

嗯,这主意听起来倒还行得通。

Robbie: I'd like to give her a nice going-away present.

我还想送她一件精致的告别礼物。

Ellen: Fine.

挺好的呀。

Robbie: There's only one problem.

不过眼下就有一个难题。

Ellen: What's that?

什么难题?

Robbie: I'm broke. I should have saved some money.

我没钱了。我之前真该攒点钱的。

Ellen: I'm sure Alexandra would be happy with something simple, Robbie.

罗比,我相信哪怕是简单的小心意,亚历山德拉也会很高兴的。

Robbie: I know. But, well, I'd like to give her something nice to remember me by. Maybe I could borrow some money from you and Dad.

我知道。但是……我还是想送她个好点的东西,让她留个纪念。也许我可以先找你和爸爸借点钱。

Ellen: It's all right with me if it's all right with your dad.

只要你爸爸没意见,我这边没问题。

Robbie: Thanks, Mom. I'll talk to him. Is he still in his office?

谢谢妈妈!我去跟爸爸说。他还在诊所办公室吗?

Ellen: I think so.

应该还在。

Robbie: Thanks, Mom.

谢谢妈妈。

Ellen: Robbie! Good luck!

罗比!祝你好运!

[ In Dr. Philip Stewart's medical office. Molly brings in some files. ]

Molly: Here are the X-rays you wanted, Dr. Stewart.

斯图尔特医生,这是您要的X光片。

Philip: Oh. Thank you, Molly. Now, let me check them.

噢,谢谢你,莫莉。让我来看看。

Molly: What do you think?

您看怎么样?

Philip: I don't see any breaks or fractures. Well, well. Thank you, Molly.

没看到骨折或裂痕。很好,很好。谢谢你,莫莉。

Molly: Thank you.

不客气。

[ There is a knock at the door. ]

Philip: Come in! Hi, Son.

请进!嗨,儿子。

Robbie: Hi, Dad. Am I interrupting you?

嗨,爸爸。我是不是打扰到你了?

Philip: No, no, no, no. What's up?

没有没有没有。出什么事了?

Robbie: Can we talk?

咱们能聊聊吗?

Philip: Sure.

当然可以。

Robbie: I need some help.

我需要点帮助。

Philip: Well, that's what fathers are for.

哈哈,做父亲的不就是干这个的嘛。

Robbie: Well, before I go to college, I have the whole summer...

这个嘛,在我去上大学之前,我有一整暑假的时间……

Philip: Yes...

嗯,接着说……

Robbie: And I'm planning to get a job for the summer.

我打算在这个暑假找一份工作。

Philip: And what sort of job?

那你打算找什么样的工作?

Robbie: I applied for a job as a lifeguard at the community pool.

我申请了社区游泳池救生员的工作。

Philip: Sounds pretty good.

听起来相当不错。

Robbie: Yes. I'll be earning pretty good money if I get it. But right now, I'm kind of short of cash.

是的,要是能录用的话收入还蛮可观的。但眼下我手头有点手头紧。

Philip: Who isn't?

谁不缺钱呢?

Robbie: And my friend Alexandra is going to Greece...

那个……我的朋友亚历山德拉马上要回希腊了……

Philip: Nice girl. We'll all miss her.

挺好的姑娘,咱们大家都会想念她的。

Robbie: Mom says we can give her a going-away surprise party.

妈妈说咱们可以给她举办个惊喜欢送派对。

Philip: Good idea.

好主意。

Robbie: And I'd like to get her a nice gift...

我想给她挑选一份称心的礼物……

Philip: What'd you have in mind?

你心里有什么预想了吗?

Robbie: Well, a wristwatch, so she'll think of me when she looks at the time. Nothing flashy or expensive. Something simple—but a good one.

嗯,一块手表,这样她每次看时间的时候就能想起我。不用太张扬或太贵,样式简单但品质要好。

Philip: Sounds fine, Robbie.

想法不错,罗比。

Robbie: Well, I saw a nice watch. But I'll need a loan. If you could lend me the money, I could pay you back out of my lifeguard salary.

我看中了一块挺好的手表,但我得先借点钱。如果你能借给我,到时候我可以用当救生员赚的工资还你。

Philip: Well, I guess your mother and I can manage it. When do you need the money?

嗯,我想我和你妈妈能凑出来。你什么时候要这笔钱?

Robbie: Would tomorrow be OK?

明天可以吗?

Philip: You've got it.

没问题,就明天。

Robbie: Thanks, Dad.

谢谢爸爸!

Philip: My pleasure, Son. Oh, and, Robbie...

跟老爸还客气啥。噢,对了,罗比……

Robbie: Yes?

怎么了?

Philip: You'll probably want the family car so you can drive her home after the party.

派对结束后,你可能需要开家里的车把她送回家吧?

Robbie: Could I?

我真的可以开吗?

Philip: If you drive carefully.

只要你小心驾驶就行。

Robbie: I will. Thanks, Dad.

我一定会小心的!谢谢爸爸!

Philip: My pleasure.

不客气。

Robbie: You're OK, Dad.

老爸你可太棒了!

Philip: You're not so bad yourself, Son.

你自己也不赖嘛,儿子。