Episode 18 Making a Difference ACT II 当仁不让 第二幕

In Act Two, everyone helps Ellen and her campaign. Grandpa gets the fliers printed. Marilyn and Richard prepared the envelopes. And Robbie and his friends tell people about Ellen's campaign. Later, the family sees Boswell in a commercial on television. What will Boswell say?

[ In the Stewarts' living room. The family is busy working on Ellen's campaign materials—folding fliers, addressing envelopes, and making phone calls. ]

Grandpa: Here are the fliers, hot off the press!

传单拿来喽,新鲜出炉的!

Ellen: Looks good. Simple.

印得挺好,简单明了。

Marilyn: Right over there, Grandpa. You fold the fliers, Richard and I will put them into the envelopes.

爷爷,放那边就行。您负责折传单,我和理查德把它们装进信封里。

Richard: We finished addressing over three hundred envelopes.

我们已经写好三百多个信封的地址了。

Grandpa: Need another box?

还需要再拿一盒吗?

Ellen: Good work, gang.

大伙儿干得太棒了!

Mike: Hi, this is Mike Johnson. Can I speak with Mr. or Mrs. Anderson? Thanks.

您好,我是麦克·约翰逊。请问安德森先生或安德森太太在吗?谢谢。

Robbie: Mr. Nelson. Hi. This is Robbie Stewart. Did you know my mother is running for the school board?

尼尔森先生,您好!我是罗比·斯图尔特。您知道我妈妈正在竞选教育委员会委员吗?

Jimmy: Yes, Miss Kim, Ellen Stewart. "She cares." Oh, see you at the polls.

是的,金小姐,埃伦·斯图尔特。“她在乎。”好的,投票站见!

Robbie: Certainly, I'll give her your best wishes, Mr. Nelson.

好的,尼尔森先生,我一定转告她您的祝福。

Mike: Hi, this is Mike Johnson. Can I speak with Mr. or Mrs. Burns? Thank you.

您好,我是麦克·约翰逊。请问伯恩斯先生或伯恩斯太太在吗?谢谢。

Ellen: We have done so much in such a short amount of time. I can't believe it! Wait till Philip comes and sees our progress!

我们竟然在这么短的时间里干了这么多活儿,真不敢相信!等菲利普回来看到这进度,肯定得吓一跳!

Robbie: Everyone saw the story in the Riverdale newspaper.

大家都看到里弗代尔报纸上的报道了。

Ellen: Mr. Maxwell was very kind to print my announcement.

马克斯韦尔先生真的很帮忙,帮我刊登了参选声明。

Grandpa: It helps enormously. Everybody in Riverdale reads his paper.

这帮了大忙了,里弗代尔全镇的人都看他的报纸。

Richard: Your photo in it helped, too.

报纸上附的照片也加分不少。

Ellen: Thanks to you, Richard, it's a good picture.

多亏了你啊理查德,拍得真挺好看的。

[ Philip enters the living room after returning home. ]

Philip: Well, hi, all.

嗨,大伙儿都在呢。

Richard & Robbie: Hi, Dad.

爸,你回来了。

Ellen: Hello, darling.

亲爱的,你回来了。

Philip: May I... may I help?

我……我能帮忙做点什么吗?

Marilyn: Licking envelopes.

负责贴信封胶水(舔信封)。

Grandpa: I fold the fliers.

我折传单。

Richard: We stuff them.

我们装信封。

Philip: And I lick the envelopes.

那我负责封信封。

[ The phone rings; Robbie answers it. ]

Robbie: Hey, everybody, Mrs. Greenberg is on the phone. She says Carter Boswell is on the TV right now—doing a commercial.

大家快听!格林伯格太太打来电话说,卡特·博斯韦尔正在电视上播竞选广告呢!

Philip: What channel?

哪个频道?

Robbie: Five.

5频道。

Philip: Five?

5频道?

[ Philip turns on the TV. Carter Boswell appears on screen. ]

Boswell: ...and if you ask what I care about, I'll tell you. I care about the school buildings in need of paint. I care about more lockers for the teachers. I care about new fixtures in the hallways—not music or dancing or entertainment. I care about the practical things. If you do, vote for me, Carter Boswell.

……要是你们问我在乎什么,我来告诉你们。我在乎的是学校大楼是不是该粉刷了,我在乎的是能不能给老师们多配些储物柜,我在乎的是走廊里能不能装上新的设施——而不是什么音乐、舞蹈或者娱乐活动。我在乎的是实打实的事情。如果您也这么想,请投我卡特·博斯韦尔一票!

[ Philip turns off the TV. ]

Ellen: A lot of people will agree with him.

很多人会赞同他的想法的。

Philip: I told you.

我早就跟你说过吧。

Robbie: Too bad kids can't vote. It's our school, but we can't vote.

可惜我们小孩不能投票。明明是我们的学校,我们却没法投票。

Richard: There are people in favor of the cultural programs, Mom.

妈,支持文化活动的人肯定也不少。

Marilyn: There are, Ellen. Don't be upset by Boswell's commercial.

是啊,埃伦,别被博斯韦尔的广告打乱了阵脚。

Philip: You have to go on television, too.

你也得去上电视宣传。

Ellen: Boswell's a powerful speaker.

博斯韦尔口才太好了,演讲极具鼓动性。

Philip: You can be, too. Your ideas are good ones.

你也可以的,你的理念非常好。

Ellen: I don't know. I'm not sure I'm up to it.

我心里也没底……我不确定自己能不能吃得消。