Episode 17 Photo Finish ACT I 大功告成 第一幕

In Act One, Richard looks at his last group of photographs for his book, Family Album, U.S.A. He's not sure he has everything he wants. He tries to get an appointment with Harvey Carlson, publisher of the Carlson Publishing Company. Will Richard get an appointment with Mr. Carlson?

[ In Richard and Marilyn's apartment. Richard is laying out his photography portfolio on the table late at night. ]

Marilyn: What are you doing?

你在忙什么呢?

Richard: I think I've got them.

我觉得我整理得差不多了。

Marilyn: You think you've got what?

什么整理得差不多了?

Richard: Performing arts—performing arts centers. I think I've got them all, but I'm not sure.

表演艺术——表演艺术中心的照片。我觉得应该全都集齐了,但心里还是没太有底。

Marilyn: I think you have got it, Richard. Lincoln Center, home of the Metropolitan Opera, the New York City Ballet, the New York Philharmonic.

理查德,我觉得你确实全都拍全了。大都会歌剧院、纽约市芭蕾舞团、纽约爱乐乐团的所在地——林肯中心。

Richard: Shubert Alley, center of the theater on Broadway.

百老汇剧院区的核心——舒伯特小巷。

Marilyn: And Carnegie Hall. And the others. You do have it all.

还有卡内基音乐厅,以及其他地方。你真的全都集齐了。

Marilyn: You have been working on this for some time, Richard. I'm glad you feel you've finally put it all together. What now?

理查德,这个项目你忙活好一阵子了。很高兴看到你终于把它们整理成辑。接下来打算怎么办?

Richard: Now for the hard part.

接下来才是最难的部分。

Marilyn: Oh, you think you're going to have a hard time getting the album published?

噢,你觉得要把这部影集出版会很难,是吗?

Richard: Well, it won't be easy.

嗯,肯定不会太轻松。

Marilyn: So, what do you think you're going to do?

那你打算怎么做?

Richard: Does the name Harvey Carlson ring a bell?

哈维·卡尔森这个名字,你还有印象吗?

Marilyn: Oh, yes! Harvey Carlson! I remember.

噢,对!哈维·卡尔森!我想起来了。

Richard: He said I should call him. He's the publisher of the Carlson Publishing Company. He said they need a new book of photographs, and he really liked my concept.

他之前让我给他打电话来着。他是卡尔森出版公司的出版商。他说他们正好需要一本新的摄影集,而且他非常喜欢我的创意构想。

Marilyn: So, why don't you call him in the morning?

那你明儿一早干嘛不给他打个电话呢?

Richard: Do you think I have enough to show him?

你觉得我现在拿出来的作品足够展示给他看吗?

Marilyn: I've been through every section with you, Richard. It's quite complete. And now that you're satisfied with the performing arts section, I think you should show it to Mr. Carlson.

理查德,每个板块我都跟你一块儿过过了,非常完整。既然你现在对表演艺术这部分也满意了,我觉得你完全可以拿去给卡尔森先生看了。

Richard: You're right. My "Family Album, U.S.A." feels right. I'll call in the morning and set up an appointment to see him.

你说得对。我的《走遍美国》影集感觉对了。我明天早上就给他打电话,约个时间面谈。

Marilyn: He's going to love your work. Come on. Let's get some sleep.

他一定会非常喜欢你的作品的。好了,快来睡吧。

[ The next morning, 9:07 AM. Richard is pacing back and forth near the telephone, nervous about calling. ]

Richard: Is it too early to call Mr. Carlson?

现在给卡尔森先生打电话是不是太早了?

Marilyn: Seven after nine? No. I'm sure he's in his office.

九点零七分?不早了,我敢说他肯定已经在办公室了。

Richard: His number is 555-7532. 555-7532. Hello, Mr. Carlson, please.

他的号码是 555-7532。555-7532。您好,请帮我转接卡尔森先生。

Receptionist: Mr. Carlson is busy at the moment. May I help you?

卡尔森先生现在正忙。请问有什么可以帮您的吗?

Richard: I'd like to make an appointment with him.

我想跟他预约个时间见个面。

Receptionist: And your name is...?

请问您贵姓?

Richard: My name is Richard Stewart. He told me to call him about my project, Family Album, U.S.A.

我叫理查德·斯图尔特。他之前让我联系他,谈谈我的《走遍美国》摄影项目。

[ The receptionist puts Richard on hold for a moment to check with Mr. Carlson. ]

Receptionist: Mr. Stewart, I just spoke to Mr. Carlson. He would like to see you. But the only time he's available this week is tomorrow morning at ten o'clock.

斯图尔特先生,我刚刚跟卡尔森先生确认过了,他非常想见您。不过他这周唯一有空的时间是明天上午十点。

Richard: Thanks. Thanks a lot. Good-bye. Well, it's done. Tomorrow morning at a publisher's office.

谢谢,太感谢了。再见。呼,搞定了!明天上午,出版商办公室见!

Marilyn: Oh, it's so exciting, isn't it, Richard?

哇,这太让人兴奋了,不是吗,理查德?

Richard: Well, finally a publisher will see my work.

是啊,终于有出版商要看我的作品了。