Episode 17 Photo Finish ACT II 大功告成 第二幕

In Act Two, Richard meets with Mr. Carlson. Mr. Carlson would like to see Richard's work. Carlson likes Richard's photographs. But what?

[ In the reception area of Carlson Publishing Company. Richard arrives for his meeting with Mr. Carlson. ]

Receptionist: Good morning.

早上好!

Richard: Good morning. My name is Richard Stewart. I'm here to see Mr. Carlson.

早上好!我是理查德·斯图尔特,我约了跟卡尔森先生见面。

Receptionist: Please sit down, Mr. Stewart. Mr. Carlson will be with you shortly.

斯图尔特先生,请先坐。卡尔森先生一会儿就出来见您。

Richard: Thank you.

好的,谢谢。

[ The receptionist picks up the intercom phone. ]

Receptionist: Excuse me, Mr. Carlson, but Richard Stewart is here for his ten o'clock appointment with you. OK. Thank you. Like I said, he'll be with you shortly.

打扰一下,卡尔森先生,理查德·斯图尔特先生到了,他跟您约了十点见面。好的,明白。正如我刚才说的,他马上就来。

Richard: Thank you.

谢谢。

[ The intercom buzzed. ]

Receptionist: Yes, Mr. Carlson. Yes, sir. He's ready for you, Mr. Stewart.

好的,卡尔森先生。明白。斯图尔特先生,他现在可以见您了。

Richard: Thank you. In there?

谢谢,是在那间吗?

Receptionist: Yes. In there. Good luck.

是的,就在里面。祝你好运!

[ Richard enters Mr. Carlson's office. Carlson is looking over some papers on his busy desk. ]

Carlson: Come in, come in. This is a crazy morning. Hello, Richard.

请进,快请进!今天早晨真是乱成一团了。你好啊,理查德。

Richard: Hello, Mr. Carlson.

您好,卡尔森先生。

Carlson: Sit down, sit down.

请坐,请坐。

Richard: Thank you for seeing me on such short notice.

感谢您这么临时抽空安排见我。

Carlson: I hope you've brought your pictures along. I see that you have. Let's get right to it. We need a new coffee-table book, and a book of photos about the United States still feels right. OK, let's take a look. Good. Very good. "Family Album, U.S.A." It's an excellent title. If you had to describe the book in one sentence, how would you do it?

希望你把作品都带来了。哦,看你带过来了。那咱们直奔主题吧!我们公司现在正需要一本新的精装画册,而关于美国风土人情的摄影集依然很有市场。行,咱们来看看。不错,相当不错。《走遍美国》,这书名起得真棒!要是让你用一句话来概括这本书,你会怎么介绍它?

Richard: Well, I'd describe it as a book which is a... a portrait of the United States—the places, the people—mostly the people. The things they do, the ways they live, the places they visit, and the landmarks. A photographic journey.

嗯,我会把它形容为一幅画卷……一幅全景展现美国的画像——包括这里的风土人情,但重点在于“人”。他们的所作所为、生活方式、常去的地方,以及各大地标。这是一趟摄影之旅。

Carlson: These are wonderful—these photos in your performing arts section. Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center.

这些拍得太精彩了——你表演艺术板块里的这组照片。卡内基音乐厅、林肯中心……

Richard: I'm glad you like them.

很高兴您能喜欢。

Carlson: I do, but...

我是挺喜欢的,不过……

Richard: But?

不过什么?

Carlson: There's something missing. You've got a good eye, Richard. You're a terrific photographer. But before I can publish your work, I need to meet with my marketing department, and you've got to do one more thing.

还差点意思。理查德,你的审美和视角很独到,是个顶尖的摄影师。但在我决定出版你的作品之前,我得先跟市场部开个会,而且你还得多做一件事。

Richard: What's that, Mr. Carlson?

什么事,卡尔森先生?

Carlson: In the section on culture, you've included performing arts centers, but you've left out street performance. The mimes. The musicians. The dancers—in the parks and on the streets. Richard, if you go out and photograph street performances in the city, you'll have it.

在文化这个板块里,你放了各大表演艺术中心,却唯独漏掉了街头艺术。那些默剧演员、街头音乐家、公园里和马路上的舞者。理查德,如果你去城里拍一组街头表演的照片补上,这本画册就彻底完美了。

Richard: That is a great idea. The performing arts centers and the street performances. I'll do it.

这点子太棒了!高雅的表演艺术中心加上接地气的街头表演。我这就去拍!

Carlson: If you do it, I'll publish your work.

只要你拍得出来,我就给你出书。

Richard: Are you serious?

您是认真的吗?

Carlson: I've never been more serious. When do you think you can return with street performances?

我再认真不过了。你觉得你多长时间能把街头表演的照片拍好拿给我?

Richard: A couple of weeks.

两周左右。

Carlson: If they're as good as the rest of these pictures, it's a deal.

只要质量跟你其他照片一样棒,咱们就成交!

Richard: You won't be disappointed, Mr. Carlson. Thanks.

卡尔森先生,绝对不会让您失望的。太感谢了!

Carlson: Good-bye, Richard, and good luck. See you in two weeks.

再见,理查德,祝你好运。两周后见!

Richard: Good-bye, Mr. Carlson. Thanks. So if you like the street-performance photos, you'll really publish "Family Album, U.S.A."?

再见,卡尔森先生,多谢。这么说,只要您对街头表演的照片满意,就真的会出版《走遍美国》了,对吗?

Carlson: When I say something, I mean it. Go to work. Good-bye.

我向来一言九鼎。快去干活吧!再见。

Richard: Good-bye.

再见!