Episode 3 Grandpa's Trunk ACT II祖父的行李箱 第二幕

[ On an Amtrak train the same day. The train is traveling from Florida to New York City. Grandpa is sitting on the train. A woman puts her suitcase on the seat next to him. ]

Elsa Tobin: Excuse me. Is this seat taken?

对不起,打扰一下。这个座位有人吗?

Malcolm Stewart: No, it's not taken.

没,没人。

Elsa Tobin: Oh, thank you.

噢,谢谢你。

Malcolm Stewart: Oh, let me help you with this. [ he puts her suitcase in the overhead rack. ]

让我帮你把箱子放好。

Elsa Tobin: Oh, thank you.

谢谢你。

Malcolm Stewart: Do you want to sit by the window?

你要坐靠窗的座位吗?

Elsa Tobin: No, no, no. I like the aisle seat better. Please, you sit by the window. 

不,不,不。我喜欢坐在靠过道的地方。请你靠窗坐吧。

[ They sit down. ]

Malcolm Stewart: My name is Stewart...Malcolm Stewart. Pleased to meet you.   

我叫斯图尔特 ... 马尔科姆 • 斯图尔特。很高兴认识你。

[ They shake hands. ]

Elsa Tobin: I'm Elsa Tobin. How do you do?

我叫埃尔萨 • 托宾,你好。

Malcolm Stewart: Do you live in New York?

你住在纽约吗?

Elsa Tobin: No, no. I'm from Florida.

不是,我是从佛罗里达来的。

Malcolm Stewart: I am, too. But didn't you just get on?

我也是。可是你不是刚上车的吗?

Elsa Tobin: No, no. I just changed my seat. A man next to me was smoking, and smoke really bothers me.

不是的,我刚刚换了个座位。我旁边的那位男人在吸烟,我真是受不了。

Elsa Tobin:  Where are you from in Florida?

你是从佛罗里达州什么地方来的?

Malcolm Stewart: Titusville. It's near Orlando.

泰特斯维尔,离奥兰多不远。

Elsa Tobin: Small world. I'm from Titusville, too.

世界真小。我也是从泰特斯维尔来的。

Malcolm Stewart: Really? What part?

当真?是泰特斯维尔的哪一部分?

Elsa Tobin: My husband and I live near Spaceport.

我和我丈夫住在航天港附近。

Malcolm Stewart: I know that area. My house is only a few miles from Spaceport. Do you still live there?

我知道那个地方。我的家离航天港只有几英里路。你还住在那儿?

Elsa Tobin: Oh yes, yes. My husband's there now.

是的,是的。我丈夫现在还在那儿。

Elsa Tobin: He couldn't take time off to come to New York with me. Do you still live there?

他走不开,不能和我一起来纽约。你还住在那儿吗?

Malcolm Stewart: No. I sold the house and the furniture, put a few personal things in an old trunk, and shipped it to my children in New York. That's my destination.

不,不。我把房子和家俱都卖了,把一些随身的东西装进一只旧衣箱里,把它托运到纽约我孩子们那儿去了,我现在就到那儿去。

Elsa Tobin: Are you married?

你有老伴吗?

Malcolm Stewart: My wife died four years ago. She was a wonderful woman. A real friend.

我妻子四年前去世了。她是个了不起的女人,真正的挚友。

Elsa Tobin: I'm sorry. Really, I'm sorry.

我很遗憾,请节哀。

Malcolm Stewart: Lots of wonderful memories. We were married almost fifty years. Well, forty-seven, to be exact.

有很多美好的回忆。我们结婚将近 50 年,确切地说是 47 年。

Elsa Tobin: John and I celebrate our fortieth anniversary next month.

约翰与我下个月要庆祝我们结婚四十周年纪念日。

Malcolm Stewart: Oh, congratulations! That's nice. What does John do?

啊,祝贺你们!那真好。约翰是做什么工作的?

Elsa Tobin: He's an aerospace engineer and works for Orlando Aircraft Corporation. He started with them almost forty years ago. What do you do?

他是一个航空工程师,就职于奥兰多飞机制造公司工作。他差不多在那儿工作 40 年了。你是做什么工作的?

Malcolm Stewart: I just retired. Had my own company. A construction company. Roads, bridges, big stuff. But I just sold it and retired.

我刚退休不久。我自己开公司,一家建筑公司。修路、搭桥,都是大工程。可我不久前把公司卖了,退休了。

[ A conductor walks over to them. he asks to see Mrs. Tobin's ticket. ]

Conductor: Excuse me, ma'am. Ticket, please.

对不起,夫人。请出示一下车票。

Elsa Tobin: [ to Grandpa] Would you kindly hold these keys, please? I have a ticket, I know. I was in the smoking section.

劳驾请你帮我拿一下这些钥匙,可以吗?我知道我有车票,我刚才是坐在吸烟的车厢里的。

Conductor: It's OK, lady. Take your time.

没关系,夫人。慢慢找,别着急。

Malcolm Stewart: I'm sure it's in your purse, Mrs. Tobin.

我想一定是在您的钱包里,托宾太太。

Elsa Tobin: Oh, here it is. [ She finds the ticket in her handbag and gives it to the conductor. ]

噢,在这儿。

Malcolm Stewart: And here are your keys.

这是你的钥匙。

Malcolm Stewart: Thank you.

谢谢你。

[ The conductor moves on. ]

Malcolm Stewart: Do you have family in New York?

你在纽约有家人吗?

Elsa Tobin: No, no. But I do have very close friends in New York City.

没,没有,但我确实有很亲密的朋友在纽约市。

Elsa Tobin: We like to go to the theater together. You said you have family in New York.

我们喜欢一起去戏院。 你刚才说你有子女在纽约。

Malcolm Stewart: Yes, indeed. A son and his wife and their three children -- my grandchildren.

是的,没错。有一个儿子、儿媳妇以及他们的三个孩子 --我的孙子、孙女们。

Elsa Tobin: You must be excited.

你现在一定很激动吧。

Malcolm Stewart: I can't wait, to see them!

我迫不及待想要马上见到他们!

Elsa Tobin: Are you going to live with them?

你要和他们住在一起吗?

Malcolm Stewart: Yes.

是的。

Elsa Tobin: Permanently?

长期的?

Malcolm Stewart: Well... they want me to, but it's too early to know for sure. I'm pretty independent.

嗯…他们想要我这样。但是现在还太早,很难确定。我这人挺独立的。

Malcolm Stewart: I tried to teach my kids the importance of independence, but I'm not sure I want to be alone.

我力求教我的孩子们明白独立自主的重要性,可我不知道我是否想一个人过生活。

Malcolm Stewart: Some people don't mind being alone. I do.

有些人不在乎独自生活,我不行。

Elsa Tobin: I understand. But tell me. Why did you stop working?

我能理解。可是请告诉我,你为什么要退休?

Malcolm Stewart: I retired because... I wanted to be with my family. I didn't want to be alone anymore!

我退休是因为...我想和家人在一起。我不想再孤身一人生活了!
19个相关单词

与课文关联的单词

aisle

/aɪl/n. (车箱)过道

Amtrak

/ˈæmtræk/n. 美国火车公司

bother *

/ˈbɒðə(r)/v. 打扰、烦扰

ship *

/ʃɪp/v. 运送

destination

/ˌdestɪˈneɪʃn/n. 目的地

celebrate

/ˈselɪbreɪt/v. 庆祝

congratulations

/kənˌɡrætʃəˈleɪʃ(ə)nz/n. 祝贺、恭喜

corporation

/ˌkɔːpəˈreɪʃ(ə)n/n. 公司

section *

/ˈsekʃ(ə)n/n. 区域

purse

/pɜːs/n. 钱包

indeed *

/ɪnˈdiːd/adv. 确实

grandchildren

/ˈgrænˈtʃɪldrən/n. 孙子和孙女

permanently

/ˈpɜːmənəntli/adv. 长期地

independent *

/ˌɪndɪˈpendənt/adj. 独立的

independence

/ˌɪndɪˈpendəns/n. 独立、自主性

anniversary

/ˌænɪˈvɜːsəri/n. 周年记念日

kids

/kidz/n. 孩子们

children

/ˈtʃɪldrən/n. 孩子们

mind *

/maɪnd/v. 在乎、介意
笔记更新中
当您看到了此提示,说明本课笔记还在正在努力更新中...
火车上认识陌生人 更新于:2026-04-28 04:26:36

Is this seat taken? 这儿有人坐吗?

taken (座位等)被占用的

  • Excuse me, is this chair taken? 打扰一下,请问这张椅子有人坐吗?
  • I'm sorry, all the tables in the restaurant are taken. 抱歉,餐厅里所有的桌子都有人了。
  • Keep this seat taken for my friend, please. 请帮我朋友留一下这个位子。
Occupied 有人占着的(较正式)This bathroom is occupied at the moment. 这间洗手间现在有人。
Available 空闲的 / 可用的Are there any available rooms in this hotel? 这家旅馆还有空房吗?

let me help you with this. 我来帮你拿这个吧。

help someone with something 帮某人做某事

  • Could you help me with my luggage? 你能帮我提一下行李吗?
  • My brother always helps me with my math homework. 我哥哥总是帮我做数学作业。
  • I'll help you with the dishes after dinner. 晚饭后我会帮你洗碗。
Give someone a hand 搭把手Can you give me a hand with this heavy box? 你能帮我抬一下这个重箱子吗?
Do someone a favor 帮某人一个忙Would you do me a favor and open the door? 能帮我个忙把门打开吗?

I like the aisle seat better. 我更喜欢靠过道的位子。

aisle seat 靠过道的座位

  • Would you prefer a window seat or an aisle seat? 你想要靠窗的还是靠过道的座位?
  • I always pick the aisle seat so I can stretch my legs. 我总是选靠过道的位子,这样我可以伸展双腿。
  • The aisle seat is more convenient for getting up. 靠过道的位子起身更方便。
Window seat 靠窗位Kids usually love sitting in the window seat. 孩子们通常喜欢坐在靠窗的位子。
Prefer...to... 相比...更喜欢...I prefer the aisle seat to the window one. 比起靠窗位,我更喜欢过道位。

But didn't you just get on? 可你不是刚才才上车吗?

get on 上车 / 上船 / 上飞机

  • We need to get on the train before it leaves. 我们得在火车开动前上车。
  • She got on the bus at the last minute. 她在最后一刻登上了公交车。
  • It’s hard to get on the subway during rush hour. 高峰时段挤上地铁真难。
Board 登机 / 上船(较正式)Passengers are now ready to board the plane. 乘客们现在可以登机了。
Hop on 跳上车(口语)Let's hop on the next tram. 咱们跳上下一班电车吧。

Smoke really bothers me. 烟味儿真让我难受。

bother 打扰 / 使...烦恼 / 使...不舒服

  • Does the noise bother you while you study? 你学习时这噪音会吵到你吗?
  • I’m sorry to bother you, but could you move a bit? 不好意思打扰一下,你能挪动一点吗?
  • The bright light bothers my eyes. 强光晃得我眼睛不舒服。
Annoy 使恼火Stop tapping your pen; it's annoying me. 别敲笔了,吵死我了。
Disturb 打扰 / 扰乱Please do not disturb me during the meeting. 开会期间请勿打扰。

Small world. 这世界真小。

Small world 世界真小 / 冤家路窄

  • I didn't expect to see you here! Small world, isn't it? 没想到在这儿见到你!世界真小,不是吗?
  • We met again in London. Small world! 我们在伦敦又见面了。世界真小!
  • It’s a small world—my new boss is my old classmate. 世界真小,我新老板竟然是我老同学。
What a coincidence! 真巧啊!You're going there too? What a coincidence! 你也要去那儿?真巧啊!

He couldn't take time off to come to New York with me. 他没法儿请假陪我来纽约。

take time off 请假 / 抽身休假

  • I need to take some time off to see the dentist. 我得请点儿假去看牙医。
  • He’s taking a week off for his honeymoon. 他正休一周的假去度蜜月。
  • Can you take time off work next Friday? 下周五你能请假不工作吗?
Ask for leave 请假(较正式)He asked for three days' leave. 他请了三天假。
Call in sick 打预防请病假I’m going to call in sick today. 我今天打算打电话请病假。

Well, forty-seven, to be exact. 嗯,确切地说,是四十七年。

to be exact 确切地说

  • The house was built in 1920, to be exact. 确切地说,这房子建于1920年。
  • I’ve been waiting for three hours—185 minutes, to be exact. 我等了三个小时——确切说是185分钟。
  • He lives nearby, in the next block to be exact. 他住得近,准确说是就在隔壁街区。
To be precise 精确地说It’s 2:15 and 30 seconds, to be precise. 精确点儿说,现在是2点15分30秒。
Specifically 具体地I’m looking for a car, specifically a Tesla. 我在找车,具体点儿说是特斯拉。

What does John do? 约翰是做什么工作的?

What do you do? 你是做什么的?(职业询问)

  • "What do you do?" "I'm a software engineer." “你是做什么工作的?”“我是个软件工程师。”
  • I never asked—what does your sister do? 我一直没问过,你姐姐是做什么工作的?
  • What do you do for a living? 你靠什么谋生?(更完整的询问)
Occupation 职业(正式)Please state your name and occupation. 请陈述您的姓名和职业。
What's your job? 你的工作是什么?What's your job at the new company? 你在新公司负责什么工作?

He started with them almost forty years ago. 他快四十年前就进那家公司了。

start with [a company] 在(某公司)开始工作 / 入职

  • I started with this firm as an intern. 我入职这家公司时只是个实习生。
  • She started with Google right after college. 她大学毕业后就进了谷歌。
  • He started with us ten years ago and is now the manager. 他十年前加入我们,现在是经理了。
Join 加入When did you join the company? 你什么时候进公司的?
Work for 为...工作I have worked for them for a decade. 我为他们工作十年了。

I just retired. 我刚退休。

retired 退休的 / 退职的

  • My father is retired now and enjoys gardening. 我父亲现在退休了,喜欢摆弄花草。
  • She retired from teaching last year. 她去年从教师岗位上退休了。
  • He is a retired army officer. 他是一位退役军官。
Retirement 退休(名词)He is planning his retirement. 他正在计划退休后的生活。
Step down 下台 / 辞职 / 隐退The CEO decided to step down after 20 years. 首席执行官决定在任职20年后隐退。

Roads, bridges, big stuff. 道路、桥梁,都是些大工程。

stuff 东西 / 事情(口语泛指)

  • I have a lot of stuff to do this weekend. 我这周末有一堆事儿要做。
  • Where should I put my stuff? 我该把我的东西放哪儿?
  • He's an expert on this stuff. 他是这方面的专家。
And things 诸如此类的We talked about work and things. 我们聊了聊工作之类的事。
Business 事务 / 买卖The construction business is booming. 建筑行业正在蓬勃发展。
火车查票 更新于:2026-04-28 04:25:00

Lesson 095&96 Tickets, please 请把车票拿出来。

n. + please 某物,请(用于礼貌地请求或订购某物)

  • Two coffees, please. 请给我两杯咖啡。
  • Excuse me, could we have the bill / check, please? 打扰一下,请帮我们结账。
  • Next, please! Can I help the person at the front of the queue? 下一位,请!我能帮排在最前面的那个人吗?
  • Tickets, please! The inspector is coming down the aisle. 请出示车票!检票员正走过通道。

Would you kindly hold these keys, please? 劳驾您帮我拿一下这些钥匙好吗?

Would you kindly [do] 请... / 劳驾...(非常礼貌的请求)

  • Would you kindly close the window? 劳驾您关下窗户好吗?
  • Would you kindly wait for a moment? 麻烦您稍等片刻。
  • Would you kindly step this way? 请往这边走。
Do me a favor 帮个忙Could you do me a favor and hold this? 能帮我个忙拿一下这个吗?
Mind 介意(接doing)Would you mind holding this for me? 你介意帮我拿一下这个吗?

Take your time. 慢慢来,别着急。

take one's time 别着急 / 从容不迫

  • There's no rush, take your time. 不用赶,慢慢来。
  • He took his time finishing the exam. 他慢条斯理地完成了考试。
  • Take your time to decide; it's a big choice. 慢慢决定,这是个重大的抉择。
No rush 不急There is no rush; I can wait. 不着急,我可以等。
Hurry 急忙Don't hurry, or you'll make mistakes. 别急,不然会出错。

I'm sure it's in your purse, Mrs. Tobin. 托宾太太,我敢说它肯定就在您手提包里。

I'm sure [that]... 我肯定... / 我敢说...

  • I'm sure you left it on the table. 我肯定你把它落在桌子上了。
  • I'm sure everything will be fine. 我敢说一切都会好起来的。
  • Are you sure about that? 你对那件事确定吗?
Bet 打赌(口语常用:肯定)I bet he's already at home. 我敢打赌他肯定已经到家了。
Certain 确信的I am certain that he will come. 我确信他会来。
聊家庭 更新于:2026-04-28 04:24:27

But I do have very close friends in New York City. 不过我在纽约确实有几个走得很近的朋友。

close friends 亲密的朋友 / 铁磁

  • We have been close friends since kindergarten. 我们从幼儿园起就是好哥们儿了。
  • She is one of my closest friends. 她是我最亲密的朋友之一。
  • He keeps only a few close friends. 他只交几个知心朋友。
Bestie 闺蜜 / 死党I’m going shopping with my bestie today. 我今天要和我的闺蜜去逛街。
Buddy 哥们儿 / 伙伴Hey buddy, what's up? 嘿哥们儿,近来咋样?

You must be excited. 你一定很兴奋吧。

must be 准是 / 一定是(肯定的推测)

  • You must be tired after the long flight. 飞了这么久,你一定累坏了。
  • It must be a mistake; I didn't order this. 这准是弄错了,我没点这个。
  • She must be very happy with the news. 听到这个消息她一定很高兴。
I bet 我敢打赌... / 肯定...I bet he's forgot all about it. 我敢说他把这事儿忘得一干二净了。
Can't be 肯定不是(否定推测)It can't be true! 那绝对不可能是真的!

I can't wait to see them! 我等不及要见到他们了!

can't wait to 迫不及待做某事

  • I can't wait to open my birthday presents! 我等不及要拆我的生日礼物了!
  • We can't wait to hear all about your trip. 我们迫不及待想听听你旅行的所有趣事。
  • I can't wait to go back home. 我恨不得马上回家。
Look forward to 期待(接doing)I look forward to meeting you. 我很期待见到你。
Be dying to 极度渴望I'm dying to know the secret! 我太想知道那个秘密了!

It's too early to know for sure. 现在要下定论还为时过早。

for sure 肯定地 / 确切地

  • I think so, but I don't know for sure. 我觉得是这样,但我也不敢百分之百确定。
  • One thing is for sure: we need to leave now. 有一件事是肯定的:我们现在就得走。
  • Nobody knows for sure what will happen. 没人确切知道会发生什么。
For certain 肯定地I can't say for certain yet. 我现在还不能肯定。
Definitely 绝对地That’s definitely the best choice. 那绝对是最好的选择。

I'm not sure I want to be alone. 我不确定自己是不是想一个人待着。

alone 独自 / 孤独地

  • Do you mind being alone for a while? 你介意一个人待会儿吗?
  • He lives alone in a small apartment. 他一个人住在一间小公寓里。
  • I don't like traveling alone. 我不喜欢独自旅行。
By oneself 独自靠自己She finished the project by herself. 她靠自己完成了那个项目。
Lonely 寂寞的(心理状态)I feel lonely even when I'm in a crowd. 即使在人群中我也感到寂寞。

Some people don't mind being alone. 有些人并不介意独处。

mind doing 介意做某事

  • Do you mind opening the window? 你介意开一下窗吗?
  • I don't mind waiting for a few minutes. 我不介意多等几分钟。
  • Would you mind helping me with this? 你介意帮我一下吗?
Care 在意(通常用于否定)I don't care what they think. 我不在乎他们怎么想。
Object to 反对Do you object to the plan? 你反对这个计划吗?

I didn't want to be alone any more! 我再也不想孤孤单单一个人了!

not ... any more 不再 / 再也不

  • I can't eat any more. 我再也吃不下了。
  • They don't live here any more. 他们不再住在这儿了。
  • I won't do that any more, I promise. 我保证再也不那样做了。
No longer 不再(常置于动词前)He no longer works here. 他不再在这里工作了。
Not anymore 再也不(常置于句末)We're not friends anymore. 我们不再是朋友了。