Episode 22 Career Choices ACT I

职业选择 第一幕

In the first act, Marilyn's trying to decide whether to return to work at the boutique. Since her son Max was born, Marilyn has been staying at home taking care of him, and she would like to continue. But Marilyn's boss, Rita Mae, wants Marilyn to come back to work soon. What does Marilyn want to do?

[ Marilyn is sitting with her sketchbook, humming a lullaby. Richard enters. ]

Marilyn: "Rock-a-bye, baby, on the tree top, when the wind blows, the cradle will rock. When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall, and down will come baby, cradle and all."

“睡吧,宝贝,在树顶上,风儿吹过,摇篮荡荡。树枝折断,摇篮跌落,连同宝贝,一起掉落。”

Richard: Hi, Marilyn. What are you doing?

嗨,玛丽莲。你在干嘛呢?

Marilyn: Just sketching. I've been thinking a lot about our responsibilities in the past few weeks.

画画草图而已。过去这几个星期,我一直在琢磨咱们身上的责任。

Richard: I never stop thinking about them.

我也时刻在想这些。

Marilyn: I've been wrestling with the question of whether I go back to work or not.

我最近一直在纠结到底要不要回去上班。

Richard: I see.

我明白了。

Marilyn: And I'm torn. I really want to go back to work, use my talents, and pursue my career in fashion design, but I also want to be a full-time mother, especially when he's a baby.

我现在特别特别纠结。我真的很想回去工作,发挥我的才华,继续追求我的服装设计事业;但我也想当个全职妈妈,尤其是趁他现在还是个婴儿的时候。

Richard: I really understand, Marilyn. But you never have to worry about Max. There's Mother and Grandpa... and I can always arrange my photo schedule around your schedule, if that will help.

玛丽莲,我真的很理解。但你完全不用担心马克斯,有妈妈和爷爷帮着照看呢……如果能帮上忙的话,我随时可以根据你的工作日程来调整我的摄影日程。

Marilyn: It's not the same, Richard.

理查德,那不一样的。

Richard: Have you discussed going back to work with your boss?

你跟你老板谈过重返岗位的事了吗?

Marilyn: Rita Mae called yesterday.

丽塔·梅昨天给我打电话了。

Richard: Ah! That's what's got you thinking, isn't it?

啊!这就是让你开始犯愁的原因,对吧?

Marilyn: She wants to know when I think I'll be returning to the boutique.

她想知道我打算什么时候回时装店上班。

Richard: And you said...?

那你怎么说的……?

Marilyn: I said I'd give her an answer in a few days... that I wasn't sure.

我说我过几天给她答复……说我自己还没想好。

Richard: I'm sure Rita Mae will understand and wait until you're ready to go back to work.

我相信丽塔·梅会理解的,她会一直等你准备好重返工作岗位。

Marilyn: Well, maybe she will, and maybe she won't. Who knows? If I don't accept her offer, maybe she'll find someone else in the meantime, and when I'm ready to go back, there won't be a job for me.

嗯,也许会,也许不会,谁说得准呢?如果我不接受她的邀请,这期间她可能会招别人;等我以后准备回去的时候,可就没我的位置了。

Richard: That's something to consider. You've got yourself to think about, too.

这倒确实是个需要顾虑的问题,你也得为你自己打算打算。

Marilyn: But I am thinking about myself. Don't you see?

可我现在就是在为你自己打算呀,难道你还不明白吗?

Richard: What do you mean?

你这是什么意思?

Marilyn: It's not just the job. It's also my career as Max's mother. That's the way I look at it. I have two career opportunities at the same time: my career as a fashion designer and my career as a mother.

这不仅仅关乎一份工作,这也关乎我作为马克斯母亲的“事业”。我是这么看待它的:我眼前同时摆着两个事业发展的机会,一个是作为服装设计师的职业生涯,另一个是作为母亲的人生事业。

Richard: I never really thought about being a mother as a career. I guess you do have two career opportunities and a decision to make.

我还真从来没想过“当妈妈”也是一种事业。看来你手头确实有两个事业方向需要做出抉择了。

[ A baby's cry is heard from the other room. ]

Marilyn: I hear Max.

我听到马克斯哭了。

Richard: I'll go to him.

我去抱他吧。

Marilyn: No, that's OK. I'll do it.

不用了,没事,我去就行。

本课重点词汇

0 个相关单词