Episode 20 Quality Time ACT III

黄金时间 第三幕

Watch the video then answer the question:

Ellen: Good morning.

早安。

Ellen: What a wonderful morning!

多么美好的早晨!

Ellen: Don't the flowers smell wonderful?

花儿闻起来好香,不是吗?

Philip: Good morning, Ellen.

早安,艾伦。

Philip: Yes, they do.

是的,确实很香。

Philip: That's why I'm reading my paper and having my coffee

这就是为什么今天早上我选择在露台上

Philip: on the patio this morning.

边喝咖啡边看报纸。

Ellen: Ah, it does smell sweet.

啊,味道确实很甜美。

Philip: How was your school-board meeting last night?

昨晚的学校董事会会议开得怎么样?

Philip: You must've come home very late.

你一定很晚才到家。

Philip: Did you find the sandwich I made for you?

看到我为你做的三明治了吗?

Ellen: Thanks, dear.

谢谢你,亲爱的。

Ellen: I was so tired

我当时太累了,

Ellen: I didn't even finish it.

甚至都没吃完。

Ellen: Philip, I've been working on this special project

菲利普,我最近一直和校董会忙一个特别计划,

Ellen: with the school board,

 

Ellen: and I'd like your opinion about it.

我想听听你的意见。

Philip: What is it?

是什么计划?

Ellen: I've been trying to find

我一直在寻求

Ellen: a way to encourage reading.

一种鼓励阅读的方法。

Philip: Good luck!

祝你好运!

Ellen: Well, I think I may have found a way to do it.

嗯,我想我可能已经找到法子了。

Philip: Tell me about it.

说来听听。

Philip: I work with families every day, Ellen.

艾伦,我每天都在和各种家庭打交道。

Philip: I see how people spend their leisure time--

我看到人们是如何度过闲暇时光的——

Philip: young and old.

无论老少。

Philip: Mostly watching television.

大部分时间都在看电视。

Ellen: Well, that would be OK

嗯,如果——我再重复一遍——

Ellen: if, and I repeat,

如果人们肯花时间阅读的话,

Ellen: if people took the time to read.

那倒也没什么。

Philip: I couldn't agree with you more.

我完全同意你的看法。

Philip: The question is,

问题是,

Philip: how do we get them to read more?

我们怎么才能让他们读更多的书呢?

Philip: I think

我想

Philip: you're going to give me the answer to that question.

你准备告诉我这个问题的答案。

Philip: You have that look in your eye.

你的眼神里透着自信呢。

Ellen: I do have an answer, Philip.

我确实有个答案,菲利普。

Ellen: Or at least I think I do.

至少我觉得我找到了。

Philip: Well, tell me about it.

好吧,告诉我吧。

Ellen: The plan is a simple one.

计划其实很简单。

Ellen: Involve the entire family in a reading project.

让全家人都参与到一个阅读项目中来。

Philip: In the home?

在家里吗?

Ellen: Yes, in the home.

是的,在家里。

Ellen: But first in the school-rooms.

但首先要从教室开始。

Philip: Hmm, interesting.

嗯,有点意思。

Philip: But how do you plan to do that?

但你打算怎么实施呢?

Ellen: By arranging with the public schools

通过与公立学校协商,

Ellen: to schedule one hour a week--to start with.

初步安排每周一小时的时间。

Ellen: During that time

在那段时间里,

Ellen: parents are invited to attend--

邀请家长到校,

Ellen: and to read along with the children--their children.

和孩子们——也就是他们自己的孩子——一起阅读。

Philip: It can go beyond the school system, Ellen.

艾伦,这可以推广到学校系统之外。

Ellen: Really?

真的吗?

Philip: I guarantee you it would go very well in the hospitals.

我保证这在医院里也会推行得很好。

Philip: My patients--mostly kids--

我的病人——大部分是孩子——

Philip: would love to read and be read to.

会很喜欢阅读,也喜欢听别人读给他们听。

Ellen: You think so?

你觉得会吗?

Philip: I know so.

我确定会。

Ellen: Maybe we can experiment with your patients

也许我们可以在你的病人中做个实验,

Ellen: and see how the plan works.

看看这个计划效果如何。

Philip: I love the idea.

我太喜欢这个主意了。

Philip: Would you work with me on it?

你愿意和我一起做这件事吗?

Ellen: I would love to, Philip.

菲利普,我当然愿意。

Ellen: And that way,

这样一来,

Ellen: we'll spend more time together, Ellen.

艾伦,我们就能有更多时间待在一起了。

Ellen: We just don't see each other anymore.

我们最近几乎都见不到面。

Philip: You and I are very busy these days.

咱们这些日子都太忙了。

Ellen: This is true.

确实如此。

Philip: We need to find time to be together more,

我们确实需要多找点时间在一起,

Philip: to do things together more--you and I.

多一起做些事情——就你和我。

Ellen: This would be a wonderful way to accomplish that.

这正是实现这个目标的绝佳方式。

Philip: I have a question.

我有一个问题。

Ellen: Yes?

请讲?

Philip: What do we read?

我们读什么呢?

Philip: To the patients in the ward?

读给病房里的病人们听什么?

Ellen: Yes.

是的。

Ellen: Well,

嗯,

Ellen: let you and I talk about it.

咱们商量一下。

Ellen: What would you like to read to them?

你想读什么给他们听?

Philip: Mrs. Stewart and I

斯图尔特太太和我

Philip: will read a poem by Robert Frost.

将为大家朗诵罗伯特·弗罗斯特的一首诗。

Philip: It's called

题目是

Philip: "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening."

《雪夜林边小驻》。

Philip: Would you begin, Ellen?

艾伦,你先开始好吗?

Ellen: All right.

好的。

Ellen: "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"

《雪夜林边小驻》

Ellen: by Robert Frost.

罗伯特·弗罗斯特 著

Ellen: Whose woods these are I think I know.

我想我知道这是谁的林子。

Ellen: His house is in the village though;

虽然他的家就在村子里;

Ellen: He will not see me stopping here

他不会看到我停留在此

Ellen: To watch his woods fill up with snow.

注视着他的林间积满白雪。

Philip: My little horse must think it queer

我的小马一定觉得奇怪

Philip: To stop without a farmhouse near

为何停在附近没有农舍的地方

Philip: Between the woods and frozen lake

就在这林木与冰湖之间

Philip: The darkest evening of the year.

在这一年中最漆黑的夜晚。

Philip: He gives his harness bells a shake

他摇了摇背带上的铃铛

Philip: To ask if there is some mistake.

像是询问是否出了什么差错。

Philip: The only other sound's the sweep

此外唯一的声响是

Philip: Of easy wind and downy flake.

微风掠过与轻雪飘落。

Ellen: The woods are lovely, dark and deep,

林子迷人、幽暗且深邃,

Ellen: But I have promises to keep,

但我还有诺言需要履行,

Ellen: And miles to go before I sleep,

在我安睡前还有长路要赶,

Ellen: And miles to go before I sleep.

在我安睡前还有长路要赶。

Grandpa: You two belong on stage! That was wonderful!

你们俩简直该去演戏!读得太棒了!

Ellen: Grandpa!

爷爷!

Philip: Dad ... Robbie. When did you come?

爸爸……罗比。你们什么时候来的?

Robbie: We've been listening to you both.

我们一直在听你们朗诵。

Grandpa: These are lucky kids.

这些孩子真幸运。

Grandpa: Do you enjoy reading together?

你们喜欢在一起朗诵吗?

Philip: Well, we may read together aloud at home.

嗯,也许以后我们在家里也可以一起大声朗诵。

Ellen: You were right, Robbie.

罗比,你说得对。

Robbie: I know.

我知道。

单词列表

0