Episode 18 Making a Difference ACT I

当仁不让 第一幕

Watch the video then answer the question:

Ellen: I don't believe it!

我简直不敢相信!

Philip: What's wrong?

怎么了?

Ellen: Carter Boswell!

卡特·博斯韦尔!

Philip: Who's Carter Boswell?

卡特·博斯韦尔是谁?

Ellen: He's running for the school board.

他要竞选校董事会成员。

Ellen: The election's next month.

选举就在下个月。

Philip: What's wrong with wanting to be on the school board?

竞选校董事会有什么不妥吗?

Ellen: Nothing.

本身没什么问题。

Ellen: But he wants to cut the school budget!

但他打算削减学校的预算!

Philip: Maybe it needs cutting.

或许预算确实有缩减的必要。

Ellen: Cutting the budget is fine,

削减预算本身没问题,

Ellen: but he wants to do it

可他打算通过

Ellen: by cutting all the cultural programs.

砍掉所有文体艺术项目来省钱。

Ellen: No music, no dance,

不再有音乐、舞蹈,

Ellen: no concert, no stage presentations.

也没有音乐会和舞台表演活动。

Philip: Why does he want to do that?

他为什么要这么做?

Ellen: He says it's to save the taxpayers' money,

他说这是为了节省纳税人的钱,

Ellen: and I think he believes

而且我觉得他认定

Ellen: that the taxpayers will vote for him

只要缩减文体开支,纳税人就会投他的票。

Ellen: if he spends less on the cultural programs.

 

Philip: He's probably right.

他或许想得没错。

Philip: Lots of people want their taxes

很多人希望税款

Philip: used for new books

用来购置新书,

Philip: and a new paint job in the schoolrooms.

翻新教室墙面。

Ellen: Maybe some of us would like to pay a little bit more

但我们有些人愿意多承担一点税负,

Ellen: and keep the cultural programs for our kids.

为孩子保留这些文体艺术课程。

Philip: Well, I'm not sure, Ellen.

这个我不好说,埃伦。

Philip: I hear it from my patients.

我从病人那里听到不少看法。

Philip: Lots of people are tired of higher taxes.

很多人已经厌倦了加税。

Ellen: I know,

我知道,

Ellen: but if Boswell wins

可一旦博斯韦尔当选,

Ellen: he'll be an important decision-maker

他就会在校董事会拥有重要决策权,

Ellen: on the school board,

 

Ellen: and he doesn't know anything

但他根本不了解

Ellen: about our children's education.

孩子们真正需要什么样的教育。

Philip: Who's running against him?

有人和他竞选吗?

Ellen: Nobody. That's the problem.

没有。这正是问题所在。

Philip: Well, it sounds to me like Carter Boswell

那这么看,卡特·博斯韦尔

Philip: is going to win this seat on the board.

稳拿校董事会的这个席位了。

Ellen: Oh, not if I can stop him!

我不会让他如愿的!

Philip: And how are you going to stop him?

那你打算怎么阻止他?

Ellen: I don't know.

我还没想好。

Ellen: Maybe I'll run against him.

或许我可以参选和他竞争。

Philip: Well, you've got my vote.

那我肯定投你一票。

Ellen: I'm serious, Philip.

我是认真的,菲利普。

Ellen: Why shouldn't I run?

我为什么不能参选?

Richard: Why shouldn't you run for what, Mom?

妈妈,你要参选什么呀?

Philip: Your mother is thinking of

你妈妈正打算

Philip: running for the school board.

竞选校董事会成员。

Richard: Hey, that's terrific, Mom!

哇,太棒了,妈妈!

Richard: Against Carter Boswell?

和卡特·博斯韦尔竞选吗?

Richard: Great!

太厉害了!

Ellen: Well, if I run for office,

如果我参选,

Ellen: the voters will have a clear choice.

选民就有明确的选择了。

Ellen: I stand for everything Boswell doesn't.

我的主张和博斯韦尔完全相反。

Philip: I think a lot of people will vote for you

我觉得很多人都会支持你,

Philip: against Boswell, Ellen.

和博斯韦尔角逐,埃伦。

Richard: I'll vote for you.

我也投你一票。

Ellen: Will you help me if I do run?

如果我真参选,你们会帮我吗?

Philip: Absolutely.

当然会。

Philip: The trouble is

问题是

 

Philip: it takes a little bit of money to run a campaign.

竞选活动需要一笔经费。

Philip: I think you can make a difference, Ellen.

我相信你能带来改变,埃伦。

Philip: And in a short campaign

而且竞选周期不长的话,

 

Philip: you wouldn't need as much money.

也用不了太多经费。

Philip: You know something, Ellen?

说真的,埃伦?

Philip: Why not give the people of Riverdale a clear choice?

为什么不让里弗代尔的民众多一个靠谱的选择呢?

Philip: I'm with you.

我支持你。

Philip: You can make a difference.

你一定能做出一番改变。

Maxwell: Come in.

请进。

Ellen: Mr. Maxwell?

请问是麦克斯韦先生吗?

Maxwell: Yes, Charles Maxwell.

是的,我是查尔斯·麦克斯韦尔。

Ellen: My name is Ellen Stewart.

我叫埃伦·斯图尔特。

Maxwell: Hello.

你好。

Maxwell: Please, sit down.

请坐。

Maxwell: You asked to see me.

是你约我见面的。

Maxwell: What would you like to see me about?

找我有什么事?

Ellen: I'd like your help.

我想请你帮个忙。

Maxwell: Well,

是这样的,

Maxwell: I'm editor of the most influential newspaper in Riverdale.

我是里弗代尔最有影响力报纸的主编。

Maxwell: Actually, it's the only newspaper.

准确来说,本地就这一家报纸。

Maxwell: A lot of people would like my help.

想找我帮忙的人很多。

Maxwell: Do you have a story?

你有什么新闻线索吗?

Ellen: I'm planning to run for the school board.

我打算竞选校董事会成员。

Maxwell: Against Carter Boswell?

和卡特·博斯韦尔竞选?

Ellen: Yes.

是的。

Maxwell: Well, that is news.

那这可是条大新闻。

Ellen: Will you announce that I'm running?

你能帮我刊登参选的消息吗?

Maxwell: Sure.

当然可以。

Maxwell: But I need some information.

不过我需要一些相关资料。

Ellen: Of course.

没问题。

Maxwell: Why will the voters vote for you against Boswell,

斯图尔特太太,选民为什么会放弃博斯韦尔转而支持你?

Maxwell: Mrs. Stewart?

 

Ellen: Because I care.

因为我真心关心孩子们的教育。

Maxwell: "Vote for Ellen Stewart. She cares."

“支持埃伦·斯图尔特,心怀教育初心。”

Maxwell: Not a bad slogan.

这句竞选口号不错。

 

Maxwell: But what do you care about?

那你具体关注哪些方面?

Ellen: Well, I care about the children of our town.

我关心我们镇上所有的孩子。

Ellen: I don't want them to grow up

我不希望他们成长过程中,

Ellen: without cultural programs in our school.

学校里缺少文体艺术课程。

Maxwell: Do you have a plan?

你有具体的方案吗?

Ellen: I want our children to learn

我希望孩子们学到的不只是

 

Ellen: more than reading, writing, and arithmetic.

阅读、写作和算术这些基础课业。

Ellen: I want to keep the after-school programs--

我希望保留各类课后活动,

Ellen: the music, the concerts.

包括音乐课程和校园音乐会。

Maxwell: It's not a bad plan.

这个方案很不错。

Maxwell: But who's going to pay for all of this?

但这些开支由谁来承担?

Ellen: We are.

由我们所有人。

Ellen: The citizens of Riverdale, of course.

当然是里弗代尔的全体市民。

Ellen: I plan to get help

我打算争取本地

 

Ellen: from the businessmen and the corporations of Riverdale.

商户和企业的资助。

Maxwell: That's fair enough.

这个办法很合理。

Maxwell: Exactly what do you want from me, Mrs. Stewart?

那你具体希望我帮你做些什么,斯图尔特太太?

Ellen: You don't know me.

你并不了解我。

Ellen: I can't expect you to take my side against Boswell.

我不敢指望你偏袒我、对抗博斯韦尔。

Ellen: But I do need some publicity

但我需要一些宣传报道,

Ellen: so that the people of our town

让镇上的民众

Ellen: know that I'm running for office

知道我参选的消息,

Ellen: and that I care about our children.

也了解我真心为孩子们着想。

Maxwell: Fair enough.

这个要求合情合理。

Maxwell: I certainly can print the news.

我当然可以刊登这条新闻。

Maxwell: And you are now making news.

而你现在,本身就是新闻。

单词列表

0