Episode 14 Playing Games ACT II

做游戏 第二幕

[ At the door of Susan's apartment. Susan and Harry are waiting for Michelle and her friends to come inside. ]

Michelle: Oh, Daddy! We had such a good time at the aquarium. I saw a real shark.  I could almost touch it.

噢,爸爸!我们在水族馆玩得太开心了。我看到真正的鲨鱼了。我差一点就能摸到它。

Harry: I'm so glad. [ to Mrs. Cooper and the girls ] Hi, Michelle, why don't you introduce everybody to Susan?

那太好了。嗨,米歇尔,你不给苏珊介绍一下大家吗?

Michelle: Hi, Susan.

嗨,苏珊。

Susan: Hi.

嗨。

Michelle: I'd like you to meet Audrey and her mother, Mrs. Cooper.

我给你介绍一下,这是奥德丽和她妈妈库珀太太。

Susan: Hello, Audrey. Nice to meet you, Mrs. Cooper. [ She shakes their hands. ] I'm Susan Stewart.

你好,奥德丽。很高兴认识你,库珀太太。我是苏珊·斯图尔特。

Michelle: And this is Shirley and Nicole.

这位是雪莉,还有妮可。

Susan: Hi, girls. [ She shakes their hands. ]

你们好,姑娘们。

Harry: Come on in. Come on in, Mrs. Cooper. Come on in, everybody.

快进来吧。请进,库珀太太。大家都进来吧。

Mrs. Cooper: The aquarium was so exciting. I had never been there before. The girls learned a great deal. Frankly, so did I.

水族馆真是太精彩了。我以前从没去过。孩子们学到了很多东西。说实话,我也是。

Susan: Well, please sit down and tell us all about it during lunch.

快坐下吧,边吃午饭边给我们讲讲。

[ They all sit down at the table. ]

Harry: We prepared some tuna fish and cheese sandwiches for lunch.

我们准备了金枪鱼三明治和奶酪三明治当午餐。

Michelle: I love tuna fish. Don't you, Audrey?

我最喜欢金枪鱼了。你也是吧,奥德丽?

Susan: I remember when I used to be a Girl Scout. My mother would take us everywhere, too.

我记得我以前当女童子军的时候,我妈妈也常常带我们到处去。

Mrs. Cooper: Susan, I understand you're in the toy business.

苏珊,我听说你是做玩具这一行的。

Susan: Yes, I am. My company manufactures toys and games for children.

是的。我们公司生产儿童玩具和游戏。

Harry: Susan's vice-president in charge of new toys and games.

苏珊是负责新玩具和游戏产品的副总裁。

Susan: And the marketing of new toys and games.

还负责新玩具和游戏产品的市场推广。

Michelle: Can we test a new game for you, Susan?

苏珊,我们能帮你试玩新游戏吗?

Susan: That's an excellent idea, Michelle. I happen to have a game which I brought home to study.

这主意真不错,米歇尔。我正好带了一个游戏回家研究。

Michelle: Let us try it! Do you want to play? Nicole? Shirley? Audrey?

让我们试试吧!你们想玩吗?妮可?雪莉?奥德丽?

Susan: [ She takes out a game. ] We tested it last week on twelve-to fifteen-year-olds, and they found it to be too easy --in other words ... boring. We think it might be just right for ten-to twelve-year-olds.

我们上周让十二到十五岁的孩子试玩过,他们觉得太简单了——换句话说,就是有点无聊。我们觉得它可能更适合十到十二岁的孩子。

Michelle: That's us, Susan.

那不就是我们吗,苏珊。

Susan: First, you shuffle the deck and lay them face down. Then you select the leader. I'll be the leader. The leader takes the first ten cards and lays them face up on this stand.

首先,把整副牌洗好并背面朝下扣在桌上。然后选出一位主持人。我来当主持人,主持人从牌堆拿最上面的十张牌,正面朝上摆在这个架子上。

Susan: [ She places the letters h-t-e-r-c-z-e-p-e-s on the stand. ] Everyone gets a turn, going counterclockwise, left to right.

大家按逆时针方向,从左到右轮流来。

Susan: You have thirty seconds to make a word, using as many letters as possible. You get one point for each letter, plus the person with the longest word gets ten extra points. The first one to get one hundred points wins.

你们有三十秒时间拼出一个单词,尽量多用字母。每个字母算一分,拼出最长单词的人还能额外加十分。第一个拿到一百分的人获胜。

Michelle: That's easy.

太简单了。

Susan: OK, let's go around the table. You first, Audrey.

好,我们按顺序来。奥德丽,你先。

Audrey: [ She gets up and points to the letters on the stand. ] Chest--c-h-e-s-t.

Chest——c-h-e-s-t。

Susan: Good. That's five points. Next, Nicole.

很好,五分。下一位,妮可。

Nicole: [ She also gets up and points to the letters. ] Three--t-h-r-e-e.

Three——t-h-r-e-e。

Susan: OK. That's five points also. It's your turn, Shirley.

好,也是五分。轮到你了,雪莉。

Shirley: [ She also gets up to make a word. ] Creep--c-r-e-e-p.

Creep——c-r-e-e-p。

Susan: Creep. That's another five-letter word. Five points. So far, you're all tied.

Creep。又是一个五个字母的单词。五分。到目前为止,你们打成平手。

Harry: [ He calls out his word. ] Sheet--s-h-e-e-t.

Sheet——s-h-e-e-t。

Susan: Sheet is a five-letter word. Michelle, your turn.

Sheet是个五个字母的单词。米歇尔,该你了。

Michelle: [ She calls out her word. ] Cheese--c-h-e-e-s-e.

Cheese——c-h-e-e-s-e。

Susan: Terrific! Michelle wins with a six-letter word, plus she gets an additional ten points for a total of sixteen points. How are you enjoying the game so far?

太棒了!米歇尔拼出了一个六个字母的单词获胜,再加额外十分,总共十六分。到目前为止,你们觉得这个游戏怎么样?

Michelle: I think it's too easy.

我觉得太简单了。

Susan: Too easy?

太简单了?

Harry: Michelle!

米歇尔!

Susan: It's OK, Harry. Michelle is quite right. She just said it's too easy.

没关系,哈里。米歇尔说得没错。她只是觉得这个游戏太简单了。

Harry: Well, I like the game.

不过我倒挺喜欢这个游戏。

[ Everyone laughs. ]

Mrs. Cooper: I enjoyed lunch, Susan. Thank you so much, but we have to get going to meet the rest of the troop at two o'clock at the museum.

午餐很棒,苏珊。非常感谢,不过我们得走了,两点钟还要去博物馆和其他童子军成员会合。

Susan: Oh, it was nice meeting all of you. I hope you have a wonderful time at the Museum of Natural History. [ She walks them to the door. ]

噢,很高兴认识你们大家。希望你们在自然历史博物馆玩得开心。

Harry: Good-bye, everybody. Have a good time.

再见,大家。玩得开心。

Girls: Bye.

再见。

Harry: [ to Mrs. Cooper ] See you in front of the museum at five o'clock.

五点钟在博物馆门口见。

Mrs. Cooper: Oh, OK. Thanks, Mr. Bennett. That'll be fine. And thanks again for the lunch and for the game.

噢,好的。谢谢你,贝内特先生。那就这么说定了。也再次谢谢你们准备的午餐和游戏。

Michelle: Good-bye, Susan. It's not a bad game. It's just ... slow.

再见,苏珊。这游戏其实不差,只是… 不够刺激。

Susan: Just slow. You helped save our company a lot of money. Bye-bye.

就是有点拖沓。你可是帮我们公司省下了一大笔钱。再见。

[ Michelle and her friends leave with Mrs. Cooper. ]

Harry: You are wonderful with kids.

你真有孩子缘。

Susan: I am.

那当然。

Harry: Isn't there a conversation that we have to finish? [ Susan smiles. ]

咱们刚才那话… 是不是还没聊完呢?

本课重点词汇

19 个相关单词

tuna

/ ˈtjuːnə / n. 金枪鱼

scout

/ skaʊt / n. 童子军

manufacture

/ ˌmænjuˈfæktʃə(r) / v. 生产,制造

vice-president

/ ˌvaɪs ˈprezɪdənt / n. 副总裁

charge *

/ tʃɑːdʒ / n. 掌管

marketing

/ ˈmɑːkɪtɪŋ / n. 营销部

shuffle

/ ˈʃʌf(ə)l / v. 洗牌

deck

/ dek / n. 一副扑克

face down

/ feis daun / n. 面朝下;背面朝上

select

/ sɪˈlekt / v. 选择

leader *

/ ˈliːdə(r) / n. 主持者

card *

/ kɑːd / n. 纸牌

face up

/ feis ʌp / n. 面朝上

stand *

/ stænd / n. 架子

turn *

/ tɜːn / n. 轮到的机会

counterclockwise

/ ˌkaʊntəˈklɒkwaɪz / adv. 逆时针方向

plus *

/ plʌs / prep. 外加

tied

/ taɪd / adj. 打成平局的,得相同比分的

additional

/ əˈdɪʃən(ə)l / adj. 额外的