Episode 26 Opening Nigh ACT III

展览开幕之夜 第三幕

In Act Three, Mr. Carlson gives Richard a newspaper. But Richard is too nervous to read it. It's a review of Richard's work. Later, Mr. Carlson introduces Richard and Marilyn to John O'Neill. Mr. O'Neill is magazine publisher and he offers Richard a job. Will he take the job?

[ At the exhibition party. Harvey Carlson rushes back into the room holding a newly printed copy of tonight's newspaper. ]

Richard: What's this?

这是什么?

Carlson: Read it.

你自己读读看。

Richard: I can't. Would you read it, Marilyn?

我不敢读,玛丽莲,你念给我听好吗?

Marilyn: "Richard Stewart's show at the Carlson Gallery is a collection of photographs from his new book entitled Family Album, U.S.A. There is power and beauty in Mr. Stewart's work, and his book introduces us to a remarkable new talent." Oh, Richard, it's wonderful!

“理查德·斯图尔特在卡尔森画廊举办的影展,汇集了他新书《走遍美国》中的精选摄影作品。斯图尔特先生的作品蕴含着震撼人心的力量与美感,他的这本作品集向我们展示了一位非凡的摄影新星。” 噢,理查德!评论太棒了!

Carlson: Congratulations!

恭喜你!

Richard: Wow! I'm overwhelmed.

哇!我简直不敢相信,太激动了!

[ Carlson clinks his glass to command the room's attention. ]

Carlson: Ladies and gentlemen, if I may have your attention for a moment, please? I hope you're all enjoying the exhibition. I know that I am. And I would like to introduce the young man who spent the last five years taking these remarkable pictures and writing the background for Family Album, U.S.A.—Mr. Richard Stewart.

女士们,先生们,请大家打扰一下好吗?希望各位今晚都享受这场艺术盛宴,反正我是沉醉其中了。现在,我想向大家介绍这位年轻有为的摄影师,他倾注了整整五年时光,拍摄出这些惊艳之作,并撰写了《走遍美国》的文字背景——他就是理查德·斯图尔特先生!

[ The crowd applauds warmly as Richard steps forward. ]

Richard: Hello. I want to thank all of you for coming here tonight. I'd like to thank Harvey Carlson for his faith in my project. But most of all, I would like to thank my family for their love and support all through this adventure. Thank you.

大家好。非常感谢各位今晚莅临现场。我要感谢哈维·卡尔森先生对我这个项目给予的信任。但最重要的是,我要感谢我的家人,在这段艰难又奇妙的旅程中,始终给予我关爱与无条件的支持。谢谢大家!

[ The crowd cheers. After a while, as the crowd thins out, Richard relaxes next to Marilyn. Tom walks over with a camera. ]

Richard: Oh, I'm glad this's over.

呼,这环节总算结束了,真让人松了口气。

Tom: Would you mind?

(举起相机)介意我为您拍张照吗?

Richard: Oh, not at all.

噢,一点都不介意!

[ Tom snaps a picture of Richard and Marilyn smiling together. ]

Tom: Thanks.

谢谢您!

Richard: Our pleasure. Hope it wins a Pulitzer Prize.

我们的荣幸,希望你凭这张照片拿个普利策奖!

Tom: I'll settle for an "A" in my photography course.

哈哈,我要求不高,摄影课能拿个“A”就知足啦!

[ Carlson guides a distinguished-looking man over to Richard and Marilyn. ]

Carlson: Ah, Richard, Marilyn, I want you to meet John O'Neill.

啊,理查德、玛丽莲,我来给你们介绍一下,这位是约翰·奥尼尔先生。

Richard: Oh, how do you do?

噢,您好!

Marilyn: Nice to meet you.

很高兴见到您。

O'Neill: I've been looking forward to meeting your husband, Mrs. Stewart. I'm really impressed by your show.

斯图尔特夫人,我一直都很期待能见到您丈夫。你的这次影展给我留下了极其深刻的印象。

Richard: Thank you.

谢谢您。

O'Neill: In fact, I'd like your autograph.

事实上,我想要一份你的亲笔签名。

Richard: Oh, well, really...

额,这个……当然可以……

O'Neill: On a contract.

把名签在一份合同上。

Richard: What's this about, Harvey?

哈维,这是怎么回事?

Carlson: Mr. O'Neill is the publisher of several magazines.

奥尼尔先生旗下拥有好几家知名杂志社。

Marilyn: Of course. I've seen you on television.

当然!我在电视上见过您。

Carlson: Mr. O'Neill was so impressed with your work that he wants to develop it into a magazine concept.

奥尼尔先生对你的作品赏识有加,想把你这套摄影概念拓展衍生为一本全新的杂志。

Richard: Well, that sounds very exciting, but where would I fit into the plan?

听上去非常诱人!不过在这个计划里,我担任什么角色呢?

O'Neill: I'd like you to be the photo editor of the magazine.

我想邀请你出任这本杂志的摄影主编。

Marilyn: Oh, Richard, how exciting!

天哪,理查德,这太令人激动了!

Carlson: It's a wonderful opportunity, Richard.

理查德,这可是个绝佳的大好机会!

Richard: Hold on. Wait a minute, please.

等等……请先等一下。

Carlson: What's the problem, Richard?

有什么顾虑吗,理查德?

Richard: The problem is that I'm a photographer, not an editor. I like what I do. In fact, I love what I do... which is going out with a camera and a roll of film and seeing the wonder of humanity. Now, I appreciate your offer, but I've worked so hard on Family Album, U.S.A., and I'm giving some thought to a new book on a different subject. I'm flattered, but I enjoy taking pictures, and I want to continue doing that. Thank you, but I'm happy being a photographer.

问题在于,我是个摄影师,而不是编辑。我热爱我的本职工作——那就是带着相机和胶卷走上街头,去捕捉人性中最美妙的光辉。我很感谢您的厚爱,但我为《走遍美国》付出了无数心血,目前正筹划以全新的主题创作下一本摄影集。能得到您的赏识我倍感荣幸,但我更享受按动快门的快乐,我也想继续专注于此。谢谢您,不过做一名纯粹的摄影师我就很开心了。

O'Neill: I understand, Richard.

我理解你的选择了,理查德。

Carlson: Richard, I know your next book will be a success. Congratulations!

理查德,我相信你的下一本作品也一定会大获成功的。恭喜你!

Richard: Thanks.

谢谢你,哈维。

Marilyn: You're a real Stewart!

你真不愧是斯图尔特家的人,有骨气!

Richard: Thanks.

谢谢老婆。

[ The end! ]

本课重点词汇

0 个相关单词