Episode 23 The Community Center ACT I

社区中心 第一幕

Watch the video then answer the question:

Robbie: Morning, Grandpa.

早安,爷爷。

Robbie: Is something the matter, Grandpa?

怎么了,爷爷?

Grandpa: The editorial in this paper has my friend Nat Baker real upset.

这张报纸上的社论着实让我的朋友纳特·贝克很不高兴。

Robbie: Ah! I'll read it to you.

啊!我来读给您听。

Robbie: "The old library building on Chestnut Street,

“位于栗树街的老图书馆大楼,

Robbie: which has been vacant for over a year now,

已经空置一年多了,

Robbie: was supposed to be made into a community center

原本计划改建成一座社区中心,

Robbie: to serve the senior citizens

为里弗代尔的老年人

Robbie: as well as the younger people of Riverdale.

和年轻人服务。

Robbie: Due to lack of funds

由于缺乏经费

Robbie: for the repainting of the interior of the building

用于重新粉刷大楼内部,

Robbie: and for the furniture needed,

以及购买所需的家具,

Robbie: the plans for the community center

这项社区中心计划

Robbie: have been postponed indefinitely."

已被无限期推迟。”

Grandpa: He's coming over to talk about it.

他正要过来谈这件事。

Robbie: Is it that serious a problem, Grandpa?

爷爷,这真的是个严重的问题吗?

Grandpa: It is.

是的。

Grandpa: Nat's not as lucky as I am, Robbie.

纳特不像我这么幸运,罗比。

Grandpa: He doesn't have any family with him.

他身边没有任何家人。

Grandpa: He lives alone

他独自生活,

Grandpa: and depends on places like a community center

需要依靠像社区中心这样的地方

Grandpa: to be with people--people his own age.

和人交往——和他同龄的人。

Robbie: But there's the old community center on Elm Street.

但在榆树街不是有个旧的社区中心吗?

Grandpa: It's small,

那里很小,

Grandpa: and the problem is that it's set up primarily for kids to play.

而且问题在于它主要是为孩子们玩耍而设计的。

Grandpa: Ping-Pong tables, soda machines, and lots of music.

乒乓球桌、汽水机,还有震天响的音乐。

Grandpa: It's too noisy for some older people like Nat.

对于纳特这样的一些老人来说,那里太吵了。

Robbie: I never realized that.

我以前从来没意识到这一点。

Grandpa: It's hard for some older people to take all that noise.

有些老年人很难忍受那种噪音。

Grandpa: That's why the new community center is a good idea.

这就是为什么新社区中心是个好主意。

Grandpa: Part of the building for older people,

大楼的一部分给老年人使用,

Grandpa: part of the building for younger people.

另一部分给年轻人使用。

Robbie: I see what you mean.

我明白您的意思了。

Grandpa: That must be Nat.

那一定是纳特。

Robbie: It could be Alexandra.

也可能是亚历山德拉。

Robbie: She's coming over this morning to help me with my math.

她今天早上要过来帮我辅导数学。

Robbie: Hi, Robbie.

嗨,罗比。

Robbie: Hi, Alexandra. Come on in.

嗨,亚历山德拉。快请进。

Robbie: Do you want something cold to drink?

你想喝点凉的吗?

Alexandra: I'd love some cola, please.

请给我来点可乐。

Robbie: Cola coming up.

可乐马上就来。

Robbie: I really appreciate you coming over to help me with my math.

我真的很感谢你过来帮我辅导数学。

Robbie: My final exam is next Tuesday.

下周二我就要期末考试了。

Alexandra: You're so good in all your other subjects.

你其他科目都学得那么好。

Alexandra: I just can't understand

我就是不明白,

Alexandra: why you have so many problems with math.

为什么你数学会有这么多问题。

Grandpa: Hi, Alexandra.

嗨,亚历山德拉。

Alexandra: Hi, Mr. Stewart.

嗨,斯图尔特先生。

Grandpa: I thought that was Nat Baker who rang the front doorbell.

我还以为按门铃的是纳特·贝克呢。

Grandpa: Don't let me interrupt you.

别让我打断你们。

Robbie: No problem, Grandpa.

没关系,爷爷。

Robbie: We're just having some cola

在对付那些难搞的数学之前,

Robbie: before getting to the tough stuff--math.

我们只是先喝点可乐。

Alexandra: He'll do anything to avoid getting down to math lessons,

斯图尔特先生,他为了逃避上数学课

Alexandra: Mr. Stewart.

真是不择手段。

Grandpa: I was the same way.

我以前也是这样。

Robbie: Really, Grandpa?

真的吗,爷爷?

Grandpa: Really. I didn't like math.

真的。我不喜欢数学。

Grandpa: I wasn't good at it, and I didn't like studying it.

我不擅长数学,也不喜欢钻研它。

Alexandra: But you had to be good at math.

可您数学一定得很好才行啊。

Alexandra: You graduated from engineering school.

您可是从工学院毕业的。

Grandpa: I was. But not in high school.

我是挺好的,但高中时并不好。

Grandpa: For some reason, I couldn't get a handle on it.

因为某些原因,我当时就是开不了窍。

Grandpa: Then, in college, I became good at it.

到了大学,我才变得擅长数学。

Alexandra: Then there's hope for Robbie.

那看来罗比还有希望。

Robbie: I can't wait.

我等不及了。

Robbie: You think I can just skip it now and get to it at college?

你觉得我现在可以直接跳过它,等上大学再学吗?

Grandpa: You'll never get to college to find out, Robbie,

罗比,如果你现在跳过数学,

Grandpa: if you skip it now.

你根本进不了大学去验证那个想法。

Grandpa: That must be Nat.

那一定是纳特。

Alexandra: Sit down, Robbie. Let's get to work.

坐下吧,罗比。咱们开始干活。

Grandpa: I'd like you to meet my friend Nat Baker.

我想请你们见见我的朋友纳特·贝克。

Grandpa: This is Alexandra Pappas, and this is my grandson Robbie,

这是亚历山德拉·帕帕斯,这是我孙子罗比,

Grandpa: whom I think you've met once or twice before.

我想你们以前见过一两次面。

Alexandra: Nice to meet you, Mr. Baker.

很高兴见到您,贝克先生。

Robbie: Hi, Mr. Baker. We met before.

嗨,贝克先生。我们以前见过。

Nat Baker: Where?

在哪儿?

Robbie: In town. At the hardware store.

在镇上。在五金店。

Nat Baker: I remember now. Right. Hi.

我想起来了。对。你好。

Nat Baker: Hello, Alexandra.

你好,亚历山德拉。

Grandpa: Don't let us keep you from your math tutoring, Robbie.

罗比,别让我们耽误你的数学辅导。

Grandpa: I know you want to get to it.

我知道你正想开始呢。

Robbie: Stay ... stay.

再待会儿……再待一会儿。

Alexandra: I told you. He'll use any excuse to avoid math.

我就说吧。他会用任何借口来逃避数学。

Nat Baker: Did you read the story in the paper, Malcolm?

马尔科姆,你看到报纸上的那个新闻了吗?

Grandpa: I did.

看到了。

Nat Baker: It's a serious matter for a lot of us.

这对我们很多人来说是个严重的问题。

Nat Baker: A serious matter.

一个严重的问题。

Grandpa: It is. Come on out to the patio.

是的。到露台上去吧。

Grandpa: We'll talk about it out there.

我们在那里谈。

Nat Baker: Thanks. Nice to meet you ... again.

谢谢。很高兴……再次见到你们。

Robbie: What's the problem?

出什么问题了?

Alexandra: Come on! You'll hear about it.

走吧!你待会儿就会听到了。

单词列表

0