Episode 20 Quality Time ACT I

黄金时间 第一幕

In Act One, Philip comes home late from work at hospital. And although it is quite late, Ellen isn't home yet. Robbie sees that his parents are very busy. A little later, Robbie talks to Grandpa. What do they talk about?

[ In the Stewart house late at night. Grandpa is working on his checkbook at the kitchen table while Robbie is hanging around. ]

Robbie: Where's Mom?

老妈去哪儿了?

Grandpa: She went to a school-board meeting.

她去参加学校董事会会议了。

Robbie: I don't know how she does it. She sure keeps busy.

我真不知道她是怎么吃得消的,她可真是个忙人。

Grandpa: It's important to her. There are lots of places to go, lots of things to do. She can't sit around and do nothing. Philip works late.

这对她很重要。有那么多地方要去,那么多事情要做,她可闲不住。菲利普又经常加班到很晚。

Robbie: I guess you're right. I wish I had her energy.

想必也是。要是我有她这精力就好了。

[ Philip enters the front door, looking tired, holding his briefcase. ]

Philip: Anybody home?

有人在家吗?

Robbie: We're in here, Dad.

爸,我们在这儿呢。

Philip: Oh. Hi, gang.

哦,嗨,大家伙儿。

Grandpa: Hello, Philip. How was your day?

你好啊,菲利普。今天过得怎么样?

Philip: My day was just fine. So was my night. It's almost ten o'clock. Mmm. I'm starving. Um... where's Mom?

我今天白天挺好的,晚上也忙得很。都快十点了。嗯……我都快饿扁了。嗯……老妈呢?

Robbie: She went to a school-board meeting.

她去参加学校董事会会议了。

Grandpa: There's a note for you on the refrigerator.

冰箱上有她留给你的便条。

Philip: Oh?

哦?

[ Philip checks the note on the refrigerator and starts making a quick sandwich. ]

Philip: Did you have dinner, Robbie?

罗比,你吃过晚饭了吗?

Robbie: Yeah. Mike and I had a hamburger at the diner. I came home a little while ago. You've been working late almost every night this week, Dad. Aren't you exhausted?

吃过了,我和麦克在餐馆吃了汉堡。我刚回来一会儿。爸,你这周几乎每天晚上都加班到很晚,难道不累吗?

Philip: I don't have time to be exhausted.

我连发累的时间都没有。

Robbie: You and Mom haven't had dinner together with us in almost a full week.

你和老妈快一整周都没跟我们大家一块儿吃过晚饭了。

Philip: Yeah, I feel bad about us not having dinner with the family, but our schedules are so different. Either I'm at the hospital doing paperwork, or Mom is at a committee meeting. I frankly don't know what to do about it.

是啊,没能跟家人一起吃晚饭我也挺内疚的,可咱们的时间表实在凑不到一块儿。要么是我在医院处理文书工作,要么就是你妈在参加委员会会议。说实话,我也不知道该怎么办了。

Robbie: I'm worried about you and Mom. You really have been working too hard.

我真挺操心你和老妈的。你们最近确实太辛苦了。

[ Philip takes a bite of the sandwich and puts it down. ]

Philip: Well, I think I've had enough of that sandwich.

好吧,我觉得这三明治我也吃得差不多了。

Robbie: You didn't finish it.

你还没吃完呢。

Philip: It's not good to eat before going to bed. A cookie can't hurt, though.

睡觉前吃太多不好。不过吃块饼干应该无妨。

[ Philip grabs a cookie and prepares to leave the kitchen. ]

Philip: Well, I'm heading off for bed and a good night's sleep.

行了,我上楼睡觉去,好好睡一觉。

Robbie: Well, good night.

嗯,晚安。

Philip: Good night, son. Good night, Dad. I'm going to bed.

晚安,儿子。晚安,爸。我睡觉去了。

Grandpa: Good night, Philip.

晚安,菲利普。

Philip: Haven't you finished balancing that checkbook?

您那支票簿还没算明白账呢?

Grandpa: I found another mistake. I'll be off to bed myself in a minute.

我又查出一个错误来。我一会儿也马上睡了。

Philip: OK. Good night.

行。晚安。

[ Philip leaves. Robbie sits down across from Grandpa. ]

Robbie: I'm really concerned about them, Grandpa.

爷爷,我真的特别担心他们。

Grandpa: Concerned about whom?

担心谁呀?

Robbie: About Mom and Dad. They hardly ever see each other. Dad often works late, and Mom has all these committees she's on.

老妈和老爸啊。他们现在几乎都照不上面。老爸总是加班到很晚,老妈又有一堆委员会要开会。

Grandpa: What do you propose to do about it? You have that look in your eye.

那你打算怎么做?看你这眼神,心里又在打什么主意了吧?

Robbie: I don't know, but there must be a way of getting them to spend more time together. Quality time.

我现在还没想好,但肯定有办法能让他们多抽出时间呆在一起——度过属于他们俩的高质量时光。

本课重点词汇

0 个相关单词